PDA

View Full Version : VU+ Duo 2 (2x Hybrid DVB-C/T/T2 Tuner)

Cosmic Truth
03-04-15, 08:44
Does anyone on the forum have one of these receivers, with the two cable tuners? http://www.world-of-satellite.co.uk/Hybrid-Cable-Terrestrial-Digital-HD-Receivers/VU-Plus-Hybrid-Cable-Terrestrial-Linux-HD-Cable-Receivers/VU-Plus-Duo2-Duo-2-2x-Hybrid-DVB-C-T-T2-HD-Enigma-2-Linux-Satellite-Receiver

I'm not too demanding, all I want is a receiver that is dependable, you can record one channel, while watching another, and has a 7 day cable EPG. if I buy this bad boy from World Of Satellite, would I be able get those things?

I have a Q5 receiver, but it's crap to be honest. The Q5 has a weak tuner, how are the cable tuners on the VU+ Duo?

Peterj
03-04-15, 08:58
I have the DUO2 with 2 DVB-C/T tuners.
It is a fine cable receiver.
Yes, you can watch 1 channel and record another one (like all E2 boxes with 2 tuners).
The number of EPG days depends on what your provider have. (has nothing to do with the box).
If you are not special interested in the DUO2 LCN screen, you can have a look at other receivers at WOS.
There are more good receivers where you can put in 2 (or more) DVB-C/T tuners.

brundlefly
03-04-15, 09:24
i had a duo2 with 2 cable tuners, but i returned it as i think it may had faulty tuners..my problem was that when i recorded one channel and tried to watch another i was getiing constant glitching and freezing, but when i removed the feed to one tuner it was fine..anyway i returned it back and asked if there was a problem with the duo or tuners all they said was we reflashed the duo2 with new firmware, which didnt really explain a lot, but i got my full refund and cost of postage back as well...perhaps its was my cable signal not strong enough..im sure i made a post here somewhere..lol

duoduo
03-04-15, 09:32
As a comparable, have a look at the Mutant HD receiver.. Been about of positive feedback on the forum for this and you can have your 2 cable tuners.

Andy_Hazza
03-04-15, 09:44
Does anyone on the forum have one of these receivers, with the two cable tuners? http://www.world-of-satellite.co.uk/Hybrid-Cable-Terrestrial-Digital-HD-Receivers/VU-Plus-Hybrid-Cable-Terrestrial-Linux-HD-Cable-Receivers/VU-Plus-Duo2-Duo-2-2x-Hybrid-DVB-C-T-T2-HD-Enigma-2-Linux-Satellite-Receiver

I'm not too demanding, all I want is a receiver that is dependable, you can record one channel, while watching another, and has a 7 day cable EPG. if I buy this bad boy from World Of Satellite, would I be able get those things?

I have a Q5 receiver, but it's crap to be honest. The Q5 has a weak tuner, how are the cable tuners on the VU+ Duo?

Take a look at the Mut@nt HD2400. I took delivery of one from WoS on Wednesday, and what an awesome receiver!! I've also had a Vu+ Duo2, while I love Vu+ products, the novelty soon wore off with the LCD screen. :thumbsup:

Cosmic Truth
03-04-15, 09:48
QUOTE=Peterj;348421]I have the DUO2 with 2 DVB-C/T tuners.
Yes, you can watch 1 channel and record another one (like all E2 boxes with 2 tuners).
The number of EPG days depends on what your provider have. (has nothing to do with the box).
If you are not special interested in the DUO2 LCN screen, you can have a look at other receivers at WOS.
There are more good receivers where you can put in 2 (or more) DVB-C/T tuners.[/QUOTE]

Take a look at the Mut@nt HD2400. I took delivery of one from WoS on Wednesday, and what an awesome receiver!! I've also had a Vu+ Duo2, while I love Vu+ products, the novelty soon wore off with the LCD screen. :thumbsup:

What's the deal with the LCD screen? I don't know anything about that.

Cosmic Truth
03-04-15, 09:50
i had a duo2 with 2 cable tuners, but i returned it as i think it may had faulty tuners..my problem was that when i recorded one channel and tried to watch another i was getiing constant glitching and freezing, but when i removed the feed to one tuner it was fine..anyway i returned it back and asked if there was a problem with the duo or tuners all they said was we reflashed the duo2 with new firmware, which didnt really explain a lot, but i got my full refund and cost of postage back as well...perhaps its was my cable signal not strong enough..im sure i made a post here somewhere..lol

What did you replace the receiver with?

DaMacFunkin
03-04-15, 09:55
i had a duo2 with 2 cable tuners, but i returned it as i think it may had faulty tuners..my problem was that when i recorded one channel and tried to watch another i was getiing constant glitching and freezing, but when i removed the feed to one tuner it was fine..anyway i returned it back and asked if there was a problem with the duo or tuners all they said was we reflashed the duo2 with new firmware, which didnt really explain a lot, but i got my full refund and cost of postage back as well...perhaps its was my cable signal not strong enough..im sure i made a post here somewhere..lolit was your cable strength, I had same problem on duo 2 with 2 cable tuners as soon as I got a powered splitter it has never skipped a beat, tbh if your cable signal is balanced properly you will have this problem with all multi tuner boxes, unless the tuner loop through amplifies its output.

DaMacFunkin
03-04-15, 09:57
Leaving the LCD screen aside, I honestly would like to know what makes it so more awesome? Seriously... It's as if it does something that the duo2 can't...

Cosmic Truth
03-04-15, 10:04
it was your cable strength, I had same problem on duo 2 with 2 cable tuners as soon as I got a powered splitter it has never skipped a beat, tbh if your cable signal is balanced properly you will have this problem with all multi tuner boxes, unless the tuner loop through amplifies its output.

If you use a splitter, and have a lead going into each tuner separately, would that be better than using loop through?

Andy_Hazza
03-04-15, 10:06
You can have picons on the LCD screen, program information, even weather info, but like I say, for me personally and others too, the novelty soon wears off, BUT the Vu+ Duo2 is an excellent receiver don't get me wrong. [emoji4]

Cosmic Truth
03-04-15, 10:06
Leaving the LCD screen aside, I honestly would like to know what makes it so more awesome? Seriously... It's as if it does something that the duo2 can't...

This LCD screen. is it just on the front of the receiver, or is it something to do with the picture you see on your TV?

I really just want a reliable receiver, that has strong cable tuners. the Q5 box I have has pretty weak tuners.

Cosmic Truth
03-04-15, 10:08
You can have picons on the LCD screen, program information, even weather info but like I say, for me personally and other too, the novelty wears off, the Vu+ Duo2 is an excellent receiver don't get me wrong. [emoji4]

So it's just something on the front of the receiver? I'm not all that interested in the display on the receiver. I want a box with good cable tuners, that I can record one programme, while watching another, and with a 7 day EPG.

Andy_Hazza
03-04-15, 10:10
You won't go wrong with either the Vu+ Duo2 or the Mut@nt HD2400. Both exceptional boxes, loads of memory, fast n very reliable. Oh and both these boxes do cpu (hardware) transcoding whereas other boxes are software based so another big big plus with the Duo2 n Mut@nt. [emoji106]

Andy_Hazza
03-04-15, 10:11
Do you just want cable tuners or both cable n sat?

Cosmic Truth
03-04-15, 10:13
I have the DUO2 with 2 DVB-C/T tuners.
There are more good receivers where you can put in 2 (or more) DVB-C/T tuners.

I assume you mean my cable provider? I'm with VM, so I'd imagine they should have a fairly good EPG. Does the image the receiver is flashed with matter a great deal? I was going to ask them to putr VIX on it, though if it affects the EPG, or anything else, I could ask for another image.

I'm sorry these questions are so thick, but I don't haver the first clue about flashing receivers etc, so I don't know how important the image is.

Andy_Hazza
Mut@nt with 2 cable n 2 spare slots >> http://www.world-of-satellite.co.uk/Hybrid-Cable-Terrestrial-Digital-HD-Receivers/Mutant-Linux-HD-Hybrid-Cable-Terrestrial-Receivers/Mutant-HD2400-HD-Quad-Tuner-Digital-Receiver-2x-DVB-C-T-T2

Cosmic Truth
Do you just want cable tuners or both cable n sat?

Two cable tuners mate.

Andy_Hazza
03-04-15, 10:18
Sent link to WoS on post 17 (above), excellent receiver and very well supported by ViX. With ViX you can use ABM (AutoBouquetsMaker) to generate your Virgin Cable channel list and with CrossEPG this will give you your 7 day guide. You can record, series link (AutoTimers), you can pause live TV (Timeshift). You'll love it mate!! [emoji106]

Sicilian
03-04-15, 10:30
Two cable tuners mate.

See here http://www.world-of-satellite.co.uk/Mutant-HD2400-HD-Quad-Tuner-Digital-Receiver-2x-DVB-C-T-T2?filter_name=hd2400

Cosmic Truth
03-04-15, 10:40
Sent link to WoS on post 17 (above), excellent receiver and very well supported by ViX. With ViX you can use ABM (AutoBouquetsMaker) to generate your Virgin Cable channel list and with CrossEPG this will give you your 7 day guide. You can record, series link (AutoTimers), you can pause live TV (Timeshift). You'll love it mate!! [emoji106]

Andy, thanks for you advice mate, you're a gentleman.

I want to make sure I get the best receiver of the two, I don't mind paying extra for it. The Mutant seems to be a cracking piece of kit, and is as good as, or may be even better than, the VU+ Duo at some things, but how long has it been around? I assume the VU+ Duo has been around longer than the Mutant HD, and has proved to be a reliable receiver?

From having a wee peek in the Mutant receiver section, I've read that it's faster than the VU+ Duo. Also, it has the option of having three, or even four, tuners. It appears to have a few things that work better than a VU+ Duo, but if I'm going to buy a receiver, I'd want the most reliable one, in particular one that will stand the test of time, and not conk out after a couple of years.

Cosmic Truth
03-04-15, 10:44
You won't go wrong with either the Vu+ Duo2 or the Mut@nt HD2400. Both exceptional boxes, loads of memory, fast n very reliable. Oh and both these boxes do cpu (hardware) transcoding whereas other boxes are software based so another big big plus with the Duo2 n Mut@nt. [emoji106]

Andy, by now you will probably have worked out that I'm a complete numpty with computers etc, so I have no clue what that means. Could you explain that, in language that even a lobotomised gibbon like my good self can understand please mate? :D

Andy_Hazza
03-04-15, 10:53
Andy, thanks for you advice mate, you're a gentleman.

I want to make sure I get the best receiver of the two, I don't mind paying extra for it. The Mutant seems to be a cracking piece of kit, and is as good as, or may be even better than, the VU+ Duo at some things, but how long has it been around? I assume the VU+ Duo has been around longer than the Mutant HD, and has proved to be a reliable receiver?

From having a wee peek in the Mutant receiver section, I've read that it's faster than the VU+ Duo. Also, it has the option of having three, or even four, tuners. It appears to have a few things that work better than a VU+ Duo, but if I'm going to buy a receiver, I'd want the most reliable one, in particular one that will stand the test of time, and not conk out after a couple of years.

Personally I would go with the Mut@nt over the Duo2. I had the Duo2 on launch and while it is a cracking receiver the LCD is a novelty thing n soon wears off. The Mut@nt is faster than the Duo2, the Mut@nt has option of adding more hybrid tuners so you could add more cable feeds later on. Admittedly the Mut@nt is the new kid on the block, but the build quality is excellent, lovely blue lights n OLED screen, bags of memory....... You won't be disappointed with the Mut@nt mate.
I have always had Vu+, I still have my Vu+ Uno and my Vu+ Solo2, but Vu+ have gotten lazy n the driver support is poor too nowadays, but with the Mut@nt, these guys have excellent driver support.
Sicilian has a Mut@nt n so does Norm, both I personally asked for advice and on the strength of that, I ordered from WoS on Tues n delivered on Weds, another reason to buy from WoS, great service, great communication (from Stef) and they will put the ViX image on free of charge!!
You won't be disappointed with the Mut@nt, its a quality box and will last us a good few years mate. [emoji106]

Andy_Hazza
03-04-15, 10:57
Andy, by now you will probably have worked out that I'm a complete numpty with computers etc, so I have no clue what that means. Could you explain that, in language that even a lobotomised gibbon like my good self can understand please mate? :D

LOL. Of cause mate. Transcoding is in basic terms, lets say you have a tablet, say an iPad? You can stream from the box to your iPad. So say your missus is hogging the Mut@nt watching Eastenders n you want to watch say footy, you can watch footy on the iPad. Or you can give your missus the iPad to watch Eastenders n you watch footy on the Mut@nt!! [emoji87]

Cosmic Truth
03-04-15, 11:09
LOL. Of cause mate. Transcoding is in basic terms, lets say you have a tablet, say an iPad? You can stream from the box to your iPad. So say your missus is hogging the Mut@nt watching Eastenders n you want to watch say footy, you can watch footy on the iPad. Or you can give your missus the iPad to watch Eastenders n you watch footy on the Mut@nt!! [emoji87]

I don't have that problem. I live by myself, so I can watch whatever I like, whenever I like.

I had look at the Mutant HD page on WOS. Is that two HDMI sockets on the back of the Mutant HD Andy?

Andy_Hazza
03-04-15, 11:14
Yeah it has 2 HDMI slots. An output n an Input. Basically if you have a PS4, XBOX One, Blu-ray player you could connect one of these through the Mut@nt. I suppose handy if your TV only has a couple HDMI slots etc.

Cosmic Truth
03-04-15, 11:22
Yeah it has 2 HDMI slots. An output n an Input. Basically if you have a PS4, XBOX One, Blu-ray player you could connect one of these through the Mut@nt. I suppose handy if your TV only has a couple HDMI slots etc.

I notice it doesn't have the XBMC plug in yet. I planned to ask a friend of mine to put XBMC on my new receiver, which until today I was convinced was going to be the VU+ Duo, but it's not vitally important. I'm swithering between the Mutand HD, and the VU+ Duoow. Do you know if they both have the same cable tuners?

Andy_Hazza
03-04-15, 11:54
The Mut@nt is getting the XBMC, its in the beta stages at the moment. Vu+ Duo2, Vu+ Solo2 and the Vu+ SoloSE have the XBMC beta plugin in the feeds. I'm not sure if the XBMC for the Mut@nt will eventually be in the feeds, probably someone else can answer that for you?
The Mut@nt has Samsung tuners, I only know that from a post Sicilian posted n mentioned Samsung Tuners.
I'm unsure of the Vu+ Tuners tbh.
My Vu+ Solo/Uno never fails/misses a beat n having played with my Mut@nt the last couple of days that hasn't failed/missed a beat so both excellent tuners from my experience.

Cosmic Truth
03-04-15, 12:05
The Mut@nt is getting the XBMC, its in the beta stages at the moment. Vu+ Duo2, Vu+ Solo2 and the Vu+ SoloSE have the XBMC beta plugin in the feeds. I'm not sure if the XBMC for the Mut@nt will eventually be in the feeds, probably someone else can answer that for you?
The Mut@nt has Samsung tuners, I only know that from a post Sicilian posted n mentioned Samsung Tuners.
I'm unsure of the Vu+ Tuners tbh.
My Vu+ Solo/Uno never fails/misses a beat n having played with my Mut@nt the last couple of days that hasn't failed/missed a beat so both excellent tuners from my experience.

Thanks again Andy. Decisions decisions. :D

I'm now veering slightly towards the Mutant HD, but I think I'll sleep on it, and decide in the next couple of days which one to get.

Andy_Hazza
03-04-15, 12:07
Let us know what you decide on mate........ But I think you should go with the Mut@nt!! [emoji14]

Cosmic Truth
03-04-15, 12:27
Let us know what you decide on mate........ But I think you should go with the Mut@nt!! [emoji14]

I'll definitely let you know which one I go for Andy. :thumbsup:

I'll probably have to ask more questions about whatever receiver I get, once it arrives. :D

P.S. Whatever receiver I buy, would you recommend I get it flashed with VIX, Open Pli, or Open ATV?

abu baniaz
03-04-15, 12:38
P.S. Whatever receiver I buy, would you recommend I get it flashed with VIX, Open Pli, or Open ATV?
Try them all.

Cosmic Truth
03-04-15, 12:44
Try them all.

Abu, I'm hopeless with computers etc, so I won't be flashing anything. I'll be asking WOS to flash the receiver for me, and hopefully, that will be the one I use for the life of the receiver.

brundlefly
03-04-15, 12:48
blackhole images are the best , i dont use any other, hence the reason , im limited to only blackhole images, blackhole images are only made for vu+ range of boxes, unless these images are modified to work on others, which i havnt seen or tried...anyway you got to ask yourself the question will you be using all the functions that these top of the range , all singing and dancing state of the art, high priced recivers have to offer?, i bet you you are not LOL and like me i thought hang on ! , all im gonna do is watch tv, record on channel now and then and watch another,and thats it ...why spend so much money..or if you just like to keep up with the latest technology and have something to chat about down the pub with your mates then thats fine i suppose. I didnt get anything to replace my duo2, well ive just bought a vu+ultimo from this forum , im gonna bung in a couple of cable tuners and leave one sat tuner and put on BH image...id be interested to know what signal levels you get on cable as i get around 55%-69% SNR on cable channels, might have to invest in one of them power booster thingymajigs ...lol

ps Abu is a top bloke im sure he will help you as he has helped me on numerous number of times on this and other forums...lol

brundlefly
03-04-15, 12:58
images are easy to flash on recievers, just download the latest image, extract to a usb stick , turn your reciever off , plug in usb stick nto one of the usb ports and turn on the reciever, done in about 2 -4 minutes....simples...lol,

Cosmic Truth
03-04-15, 13:04
blackhole images are the best , i dont use any other, hence the reason , im limited to only blackhole images, blackhole images are only made for vu+ range of boxes, unless these images are modified to work on others, which i havnt seen or tried...anyway you got to ask yourself the question will you be using all the functions that these top of the range , all singing and dancing state of the art, high priced recivers have to offer?, i bet you you are not LOL and like me i thought hang on ! , all im gonna do is watch tv, record on channel now and then and watch another,and thats it ...why spend so much money..or if you just like to keep up with the latest technology and have something to chat about down the pub with your mates then thats fine i suppose. I didnt get anything to replace my duo2, well ive just bought a vu+ultimo from this forum , im gonna bung in a couple of cable tuners and leave one sat tuner and put on BH image...id be interested to know what signal levels you get on cable as i get around 55%-69% SNR on cable channels, might have to invest in one of them power booster thingymajigs ...lol

ps Abu is a top bloke im sure he will help you as he has helped me on numerous number of times on this and other forums...lol

No, almost certainly not. I just want a reliable receiver, that I can record one channel, while I watch another. I had planned on asking a friend to put XBMC on the receiver but that isn't really important.

At the moment, I'm getting a 100% signal on my Q5 receiver. The signal did start to break up for a couple of weeks, so I got a guy who works for VM to do a homer. He went out to the box outside, and since then I've had a signal level of 100%. The VM guy did say that could change if some of my neighbours called out VM but so far it's all good.

Andy_Hazza
03-04-15, 13:07
I don't care what anyone says, Blackhole is PANTS!! But feel free to experiment n try others, but trust me, you will go back to the best, which is ViX Simples.... :thumbsup:

Sicilian
03-04-15, 13:08
No, almost certainly not. I just want a reliable receiver, that I can record one channel, while I watch another. I had planned on asking a friend to put XBMC on the receiver but that isn't really important.

At the moment, I'm getting a 100% signal on my Q5 receiver. The signal did start to break up for a couple of weeks, so I got a guy who works for VM to do a homer. He went out to the box outside, and since then I've had a signal level of 100%. The VM guy did say that could change if some of my neighbours called out VM but so far it's all good.

100% signal is prob an in-correct reading ;)

Andy_Hazza
03-04-15, 13:13
I'll definitely let you know which one I go for Andy. :thumbsup:

I'll probably have to ask more questions about whatever receiver I get, once it arrives. :D

ViX has everything you need mate, and the software updates couldn't be simpler. I have tried them all, Blackhole (YUK), OpenPLi (Shudder)...... I always come back to ViX, it's simply the best, but hey that's mine and the majority of others opinions too!! lol. Good luck in what you choose mate. :thumbsup:

Cosmic Truth
03-04-15, 13:13
images are easy to flash on recievers, just download the latest image, extract to a usb stick , turn your receiver off , plug in usb stick nto one of the usb ports and turn on the reciever, done in about 2 -4 minutes....simples...lol,

I've read some posts about people who end up with their receivers stuck when they try to flash it. I'll be happy to have it flashed with something that works, and doesn't give any problems, and just leave it like that. :D

Cosmic Truth
03-04-15, 13:17
100% signal is prob an in-correct reading ;)

Possibly, but I was getting signal break up, until I got the guy from VM to look at the problem. After he went down to the box outside my house, I've not had so much as a flicker, and the signal level, and signal quality, are both 100%, according to the Q5 box.

Cosmic Truth
03-04-15, 13:19
I don't care what anyone says, Blackhole is PANTS!! But feel free to experiment n try others, but trust me, you will go back to the best, which is ViX Simples.... :thumbsup:

That's the one I plan on asking WOS to use Andy. Unless loads of people tell me something else is better. :D

Andy_Hazza
03-04-15, 13:22
You'll get all the help on this forum mate. There's guides, tutorials on ABM, CrossEPG etc. You'll be fine. [emoji106]

Cosmic Truth
03-04-15, 13:26
You'll get all the help on this forum mate. There's guides, tutorials on ABM, CrossEPG etc. You'll be fine. [emoji106]

Cheers Andy. I'll keep you posted on what receiver I decide on. :thumbsup:

nsw9154
03-04-15, 14:10
I suppose that I am spoiled for choice has I have both the Duo2 and the Mut@nt and also a LX3 and Gigablue Quad + but the Mut@nt is my Favorite and I tend to use that the most, I have the Mut@nt fitted with 4 cable tuners and have 1 cable feed looped to all 4 tuners and it works perfect, the Duo2 is fitted with 2 Twin sat tuners with 3 sat cables feeds connected to tuners A/B and C looped to D on 28.2 that also works perfect, both running the latest version of Vix Apollo

Cosmic Truth
03-04-15, 14:40
I suppose that I am spoiled for choice has I have both the Duo2 and the Mut@nt and also a LX3 and Gigablue Quad + but the Mut@nt is my Favorite and I tend to use that the most, I have the Mut@nt fitted with 4 cable tuners and have 1 cable feed looped to all 4 tuners and it works perfect, the Duo2 is fitted with 2 Twin sat tuners with 3 sat cables feeds connected to tuners A/B and C looped to D on 28.2 that also works perfect, both running the latest version of Vix Apollo

I think I'll go for the Mutant. I'm going to leave it until after the Easter weekend to decide, and after I've made my decision, order it from WOS. :thumbsup:

judge
03-04-15, 23:39

Reading the rest of your posts in this & other threads, maybe an E2 box isn't the best solution for you?
Does your provider provide an official box, might be a better solution.

brundlefly
05-04-15, 14:37
Reading the rest of your posts in this & other threads, maybe an E2 box isn't the best solution for you?
Does your provider provide an official box, might be a better solution.
had e2 boxes for ages, all vu+ anyway got a ultimo from the sales section, all working fine, just need a second cable tuner to test it all again . if it still does the same guess i could sell the cable tuner easliy and get virmin to boost the sig levels ...

Cosmic Truth
06-04-15, 14:16
had e2 boxes for ages, all vu+ anyway got a ultimo from the sales section, all working fine, just need a second cable tuner to test it all again . if it still does the same guess i could sell the cable tuner easliy and get virmin to boost the sig levels ...

Do you pay for a VM TV package? If, like me, you only have broadband, what reason would you give them for boosting your signal? If you have one of their TV packages, then they'll probably send someone out.

I had problems with my Q5 receiver. The picture started breaking up all of a sudden. I found out a guy I work beside has a son who works for VM, so I got him to come to my house, and do a homer. He went down to the box outside, and sorted it out. I think he said and that there were different levels in the outside box, and he put my house on the higher signal level . Since then I have had a perfect signal.

Cosmic Truth
07-04-15, 23:14

I took your advice Andy, and ordered the Mut@ant cable receiver. :thumbsup:

Thanks to everyone for their help.

Andy_Hazza
07-04-15, 23:20
I took your advice Andy, and ordered the Mut@ant cable receiver. :thumbsup:

Thanks to everyone for their help.

You'll love it mate!!! Good lad. [emoji106]