PDA

View Full Version : TM-Nano-3T or Mut@nt HD2400?

osmononame
02-04-15, 11:29
Hi all,

I currently have a Duo bought when it first came out - had the dreaded red light issue a few months ago - capacitor replaced and it was fine for a few months but has been acting funny recently - taking a long time to turn on and sometimes I'm getting the red light again and have to leave the box off for a few minutes before trying again.

Anyway - it's a nice excuse to change my box - I currently have a Solo2 in the other room and while it's a good box its a bit expensive for what it is I feel - I would like a combo box with 2xsat tuners and 1 hybrid tuner.

So my question - is the Mut@nt £120 better than the Technomate? This will be for the second room but I don't mind investing if it will last me longer. I will only really be using the box to watch TV - I have a media centre for all my streaming duties. HDD etc also not a consideration as will be connected to my NAS.

Any help/advice appreciated.

Sicilian
02-04-15, 11:39
This really depends if you need the four tuner options and hardware transcoding the Mutant offers.

abu baniaz
02-04-15, 11:53
Some of the advantages of the Mutant over the TM are:
Using latest Linux kernel.
Supported by OpenPLI
Four pluggable tuners
Has HDMI in
CPU supports hardware transcoding.
It has a VFD, handy for showing program/remaining time, tuner in use etc.

TM/Dags have a driver bug. Stopping timeshift causes a crash. Should be fixed soon. If it is just watching TV, the 3T Combo will be fine.

osmononame
02-04-15, 14:52
Thanks for the replies.

So will the Nano have the same software encoding as my Solo2 (which is really poor ime and slows the box down - this was a long time ago so the drivers may have improved since but the experience was so bad that I stopped using the feature altogether) where as the Mut@nt will have hardware transcoding so the box speed will remain unaffected while transcoding is being used? If so that will be enough to swing it.

Andy_Hazza
02-04-15, 15:04
I think the transcoding on technomate is an issue and being dealt with I think. Not 100% but pretty sure they are.
The Vu+ Duo2 and Mut@nt HD2400 are cpu (hardware) transcoding and far superior to software transcoding.

rossi2000
02-04-15, 16:40
the vfd is only handy on the mutant if you sit right next to it, otherwise its useless.
thats my only gripe with the mutant thus far