PDA

View Full Version : what size of hdd is needed ??

shuggy
09-12-10, 01:00
hi guys im told you can use both 2.5 and 3.5 " hdds on the vu duo, is this correct, also is internal hdd much better than external ??

thanx in advance

silverfox0786
09-12-10, 01:05
yes you can use wither 2.5 or 3.5 just make sure you get a bracket for the 2.5 t make it 3.5 just to keep the install neat [dont do a boywonder786] :lol3:

internal or extrnal its just a preference i guess as long as its via sata the speeds are same.

although i will say if you buy a premade extrnal then 9 out of 10 you will find its 5400 rpm where as internals are 7200rpm but then do what i do and get a housing and make your own external

if you want a dedicated drive use internal if you want to remove the drive and use it in a linux pc then external. or you can go out on a limb as our very own pooface and have both on the duo

2 drives are better than 1

hope this helps

shuggy
09-12-10, 01:44
thanx ive got an external housing and a 3.5" 160 gig hdd but its only usb, i was thinking about esata but what power source do i use, im very green when it comes to things like that so bear with me please

also i didnt recieve an esata cable with my vu duo like i did with the dm800 is that normal

silverfox0786
09-12-10, 01:55
USB drie will work just slower seek times and transer rates

esata you would use your housing powersupply to the case and just a plain simple esata to the box

yes you dont get a esata cable with the vu duo as standard [if you had said b4 i would have put one in the box of the sender i got loads]

marty
09-12-10, 08:59
If possible get a Western Digital green, they run cooler than most 3.5" drives and have slower RPM's but still have a high data rate ;) making them reliable and having a long life.

shuggy
09-12-10, 09:45
thanx guys

pooface
09-12-10, 12:09
if you want a dedicated drive use internal if you want to remove the drive and use it in a linux pc then external. or you can go out on a limb as our very own pooface and have both on the duo

Nah, I only got the 1 drive. But I have 2 partitions on the drive :p. I found that when I was using the 2tb hdd with just the 1 partition, when I got to over 1tb full, I was having all sorts of problems...

Now, with the 2 partitions, I use 1tb as the main hdd where /media/hdd/movie resides, and I just have symlinks to /media/hdd2 folders where I make archives, record the kid's programs, put mkv files on etc...

I do have an e-sata as well, but never got around to testing whether it works ok with the internal sata...