PDA

View Full Version : External HDD

potterson
31-03-15, 15:12
I have a duo 2 with an internal hard drive fitted. I also have another hard drive which I want to connect via the external e sata connector in order to backup the internal disc. My question Is will both discs be recognised by the system? Thanks for all help in advance. Potterson :confused:

potterson
02-04-15, 11:38
Seems my advanced thanks was misplaced , never mind save it for next question.
Regards Potterson :cool:

Peterj
02-04-15, 12:13
Perhaps nobody have used an e sata disk this way and cannot answer.
It looks to me it should be recognized.
Did you already tried it?

potterson
02-04-15, 15:12
Not yet . Waiting for correct cable to connect.:cool:
Regards Potterson

jassie
03-04-15, 19:36
If it's anyway related I have connected another HDD using an enclosure hooked up to the usb on the back of the receiver, theres a thread here dicussing it:)

potterson
05-04-15, 13:11
Cheers guys. Cable arrived yesterday when I was out. Will try later today and let you know how it goes . :cool:

potterson
05-04-15, 16:01
Did not go well. Caused box to repeatedly to crash . I am reflashing box now. Thanks to all who showed interest.

Regards Potterson:cool:

jassie
06-04-15, 00:32
what did you actually use to connect the disk, pop your link here mate

stick50jr
06-04-15, 05:27
I tried this a couple of days ago on my Duo2 build 163. No Problem. The internal hdd is mounted as /media/hdd/ and the external eSATA drive was hot plugged & mounted as /media/sdb1/

The eSATA drive was taken from another openVix STB (the old Duo) and has recordings, settings backups and image backups on it from the old machine. When I did backups with both drives connected they started appearing on the external drive rather than the internal. So this was a little confusing but the file naming conventions still allowed me to see what was happening. It may have happened after a 're-boot' rather than just a 'hot plug'... not sure whether I've contributed to this.

I think it might be fine if you always use the same method of connecting the external drive... ie. always 'hot plug' or always 'connected at boot time'. However, I haven't had the opportunity to characterise whether the box is consistent and whether the behaviour is logical.

potterson
06-04-15, 13:47
MY set up for the external drive was :- the 1tb sata III drive was inserted into an " ALL IN 1 HDD DOCKING " station with an esata to esata cable connected to the Duo 2 . I now have my doubts about the all in 1. I might try another method to connect or not . Busy with other things at the moment. Again thanks for all input. Regards Potterson :cool: