PDA

View Full Version : swapfile not activating

nairbstrebor
29-03-15, 14:39
swapfile not activating, apollo 160 and latest bootloader loaded on board, followed the
correct proceedure after reboot it's still not active... any thoughts on this, it worked on previous
apollo versions thanks in advance..

Larry-G
29-03-15, 14:55
You really should not need a swap file with the Nano 2 super, it is just as powerful as the solo2, all you are doing by using a swap file on this receiver is slowing it down, quite the opposite of what a swap file is meant for.

nairbstrebor
29-03-15, 21:13
You really should not need a swap file with the Nano 2 super, it is just as powerful as the solo2, all you are doing by using a swap file on this receiver is slowing it down, quite the opposite of what a swap file is meant for.

Excellent, thank you very much

birdman
30-03-15, 02:12
...all you are doing by using a swap file on this receiver is slowing it down, quite the opposite of what a swap file is meant for.Difficult to see why it should slow anything down. It will only be used if it is needed - and if it is needed then without it you'd get a crash (or hang).

I have one (and it's activated OK). It has just 36kB in use (which gets allocated very early on). I'd rather use up 0.025% of my HD space "just in case".

judge
30-03-15, 08:40
I have one (and it's activated OK). It has just 36kB in use (which gets allocated very early on). I'd rather use up 0.025% of my HD space "just in case".

Still no need for it on a box that doesn't need it.

Larry-G
30-03-15, 17:00
Difficult to see why it should slow anything down. It will only be used if it is needed - and if it is needed then without it you'd get a crash (or hang).

The receivers own internal flash is always going to be faster than using a swap file on external media especially a optical HDD that has to spin up first.

Sent from my iPad Air using Tapatalk

birdman
31-03-15, 01:58
The receivers own internal flash is always going to be faster than using a swap file on external media especially a optical HDD that has to spin up first.An optical HDD?

The spin-up would only happen once if swap were being actively used. And I'd prefer not to wear out the (non-replaceable) internal flash.

And, FWIW, I've just timed the read speed of my internal flash vs. my internal HDD (which is probably more relevant than the writes, which would be asynchronous)

The internal HDD (ext4) managed 91MB/s
The internal flash (ubifs) only managed ~2.5MB/s (on one 250MB file)

and in the process the messages log shows some fixable bit-flips on the flash, and also scrubbed 2 locations. Which is why I wouldn't want to use it for a swap file.

adm
31-03-15, 04:47
An optical HDD?

The spin-up would only happen once if swap were being actively used. And I'd prefer not to wear out the (non-replaceable) internal flash.

Surely the swap file only comes into use if you need more RAM (DDR)? Ideally the (slow) flash memory should only be used for the data that needs to be stored whilst the power is off.

judge
31-03-15, 08:55
An optical HDD?

And, FWIW, I've just timed the read speed of my internal flash vs. my internal HDD (which is probably more relevant than the writes, which would be asynchronous)

The internal HDD (ext4) managed 91MB/s
The internal flash (ubifs) only managed ~2.5MB/s (on one 250MB file)

and in the process the messages log shows some fixable bit-flips on the flash, and also scrubbed 2 locations. Which is why I wouldn't want to use it for a swap file.
Go ahead with your unneeded swapfile so.