anyone got any advice on which to choose between these two

Thanks
Rich

rossi2000
27-03-15, 17:10
mutant2400 anyday

richf176
27-03-15, 17:17
only thing pushing me to duo2 is the 2 twin tuners as only have 2 feeds in that room or doesn't that make any difference

rossi2000
27-03-15, 17:19
2 twin tuners would require four feeds.

DaMacFunkin
27-03-15, 18:12
Mutant looks ugly, to be honest if you only need 2 feeds I wouldn't bother, the solo2 has dual core 1.3ghz processing so you really wouldn't be gaining much.

nsw9154
27-03-15, 18:18
I have both the Duo2 and the Mut@nt and I prefer the Mut@nt it is faster and with it having 4 separate plugin tuners it is more versatile than the Duo2, but they are both very good receivers so it is probably down to your own personal preference :)

kellogs23
27-03-15, 18:38
was going to ask the same question myself, Going to run VIX on which ever one I get, want also to be able to connect an Aerial for saorview and Freeview without messing about with USB tuners.
Price wise the Mut@nt is the least expensive of the 3 with the below configuration, any advice would be appreciated.

VU+ Duo 2 (1x DVB-S2 Twin + 1x DVB-C/T/T2
Mut@nt HD2400 HD 2x DVB-S/S2 + 1x DVB-C/T/T2 1x Spare Slot
GiGaBlue HD QUAD+ PLUS 2x DVB-S/S2 +1x Hybrid DVB-C/T/T2..

nsw9154
27-03-15, 20:59
Any one of them should be fine I have all 3 the Quad+plus is a good receiver but I can not get away with it's remote control, its universal and has unconventional buttons you have to press FAV for the TV function as if you press the TV button you can not operate your Quad+ untill you press the GIGA button very confusing :confused:
my favorite is the Mutant and I quite like it's remote control as it is rechargeable but then again a unconventional lay out, as the colored buttons are at the bottom and the record button is directly underneath the power button but you soon get used to it
The Duo2 well I had to replace it's remote control this week as it's metal buttons where sticking, but I opted for the Solo2's remote and that again is another personal preference
but any of the 3 receivers you mentioned will do a great job but my Preference is the Mut@nt :D

Sicilian
28-03-15, 07:33
+1 for the mutant,

@ mcfunkin, it looks much nicer in the flesh, personally I'm not a fan of the gimmick colour LCD on duo2, all it does for me is slow the unit down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Andy_Hazza
28-03-15, 10:51
I would personally go with the Mut@nt HD2400. I had a Duo2 when it launched and the colour LCD screen is just a gimmick, I soon got fed up of the screen n turned it off. But with the MK picons on the LCD screen I could see the appeal now, but I would still opt for the Mut@nt HD2400, this is going to be my next box!! [emoji4]

Sicilian
28-03-15, 11:12
I would personally go with the Mut@nt HD2400. I had a Duo2 when it launched and the colour LCD screen is just a gimmick, I soon got fed up of the screen n turned it off. But with the MK picons on the LCD screen I could see the appeal now, but I would still opt for the Mut@nt HD2400, this is going to be my next box!! [emoji4]

Oh, btw, you can use your beloved VU+ remotes with a Mutand HD2400 ;) will post a quick guide later.

Andy_Hazza
28-03-15, 11:14
Oh, btw, you can use your beloved VU+ remotes with a Mutand HD2400 ;) will post a quick guide later.

You shitting me Sicilian? The appeal just get ever so sweeter.......... Wahoooooooooooooooooooo!! [emoji14]

Sicilian
28-03-15, 11:15
You shitting me Sicilian? The appeal just get ever so sweeter.......... Wahoooooooooooooooooooo!! [emoji14]

I'll post bit later, need to check which VU remote code it accepts. Not home right now.

Bazzer
28-03-15, 15:07
Hoping the Vu Solo remote will work with the Mutant ;)

Sicilian
28-03-15, 17:02
I'll post bit later, need to check which VU remote code it accepts. Not home right now.

Unfortunatly the remote change option would not change, tried VU modes 1 + 2, there also options for other remote types, need to try them.

Personally I use a logitech harmony 650.

nsw9154
28-03-15, 17:16

I have to agree with you on the Duo2's LCD screen Andy the novelty soon wore off for me and I have yet to find a way to get the MK picon's to display on it :confused: and you will not regret getting the Mut@nt :thumbsup: :D

Bazzer
28-03-15, 18:58
Thanks Sicillian for trying the Vu remotes I was hoping it was going to work. The remote is the only issue I have with the Mutant ie the colour buttons at the bottom and very easy to press wrong buttons due to them being close together other than that a fantastic box and pleased I purchased it :thumbsup:

Andy_Hazza
28-03-15, 20:48
Unfortunatly the remote change option would not change, tried VU modes 1 + 2, there also options for other remote types, need to try them.

Personally I use a logitech harmony 650.

Thats a bummer!! [emoji20]

Walt
29-03-15, 00:06
Strange that you guys don't like the duo2's LCD screen. I love mine and the info it displays I look at regularly. It displays time left on playback, which tuners are being used, the date, day and time when off. It's great if you take the time to set it up the way you want it.

twol
29-03-15, 10:05
... and even better when you have a "full" size LCD (720 vs 400) .. not only can you get a picture that is viewable, but when switched to a display skin, you can get readable detailed program information without blowing up the font size.
With the introduction of framebuffer support maybe we will even get the option of showing a 2nd TV channel display on the LCD so the Mrs can watch the soap and you can see the football results!!! :)

So Yes, I am in favour of LCD displays.

DaMacFunkin
29-03-15, 10:20
Yeah i love my LCD screen as well, when its in standby it gives me reliable weather information at a glance... lot more reliable than my iPhone anyway

thor1
29-03-15, 11:40
lack of extra tuner slot for Duo2 against the mut@nt

rossi2000
29-03-15, 12:02
the tuner slot situation on the duo2 seriously lets it down, imo

but only if you need a few tuners, if not, it should be fine as a twin tuner :)

Sicilian
29-03-15, 12:38
Yeah i love my LCD screen as well, when its in standby it gives me reliable weather information at a glance...

I look outside :D

Bazzer
29-03-15, 12:40
yeah it's raining:D

Andy_Hazza
29-03-15, 12:40
I look outside :D

That made me chuckle, very true though. [emoji87]

thor1
29-03-15, 13:07
when you look at rear of the Duo2 it looks like there is 3 tuners slot

Sicilian
29-03-15, 13:12

3rd slot is a dummy ;)

Sicilian
29-03-15, 13:12
That made me chuckle, very true though. [emoji87]

Only fail proof way :p :lol3:

Larry-G
29-03-15, 14:12
... and even better when you have a "full" size LCD (720 vs 400) .. not only can you get a picture that is viewable, but when switched to a display skin, you can get readable detailed program information without blowing up the font size.
With the introduction of framebuffer support maybe we will even get the option of showing a 2nd TV channel display on the LCD so the Mrs can watch the soap and you can see the football results!!! :)

So Yes, I am in favour of LCD displays.

Maybe if the LCD on the Duo2 was controlled by drivers instead of a thirdparty plugin (LCD4Linux in this case) and that uses a full 10 percent of the receivers CPU just to display picons etc.

Larry-G
29-03-15, 14:14

Thats just a leftover from development, It was supposed to house a external wifi antenna but it's built into the receivers case so not needed.

Walt
29-03-15, 17:00
2 dual Sat tuners are plenty and can record 3 while watching another. Why does anyone need more? And the physical look and build quality, not to mention the remote make the duo2 that step above the mutant.

Sicilian
29-03-15, 17:04
2 dual Sat tuners are plenty and can record 3 while watching another. Why does anyone need more? And the physical look and build quality, not to mention the remote make the duo2 that step above the mutant.

What if user want 3x hybird? Physical looks is down to user preference, personally I had the Duo2 LCD and the large Duo2 remote shape. Quality of the Mutand HD2400 is just as good and out perferms the Duo2 in every way. Oh almost forgot, driver support better too. Duo2 has a number of driver bugs that the HD2400 does not have :)

Mutant HD2400 support 4 internal plug and play tuners and can support a further 3 USB tuners. You trying using a Duo2 with 1x Dual Sat tuner, 1x Hybrid, 1x USB T2 and 1x USB DVB-C, it falls over flat on its face.

Walt
29-03-15, 17:08
What is user want 3x hybird? Physical looks is down to user preference, personally I had the Duo2 LCD and the large Duo2 remote shape. Quality of the Mutand HD2400 is just as good and out perferms the Duo2 in every way.
It just looks too industrial to me, the duo2 is like a supercar in relation to the mutant being an off road range rover. As far as hybrid tuner, I can't get cable here so would never be part of my purchase decisions.

Sicilian
29-03-15, 17:11
the duo2 is like a supercar in relation to the mutant being an off road range rover.

Well how would you come to that in-correct conclusion if you don't have one?? I've actually tested them side by side, it's acutally a case of the Duo2 being a mini and the HD2400 being the Supercar :trustme:

Walt
29-03-15, 17:11
Well how would you come to that in-correct conclusion if you don't have one?? I've actually tested them side by side, it's acutally a case of the Duo2 being a mini and the HD2400 being the Supercar :trustme:
I was referring purely to aesthetics.

Sicilian
29-03-15, 17:13
I was referring purely to aesthetics.

Well that's your opionion, I hate the look of the Duo2, so there you go :)

Personally, first and foremost I look a quality, performance and support.

markshore123
29-03-15, 17:34
Hi mutant does seem the better machine, both have a years warranty not 2 I take it. The mutant as far as I can see is quite a new name and is only sold by WOS I think whereas The VU can be purchased from a variety of dealers.
On another note I remember back last year that the Golden Interstar was the flavour of the month now whats happened to it as WOS no longer sock this model.

world-of-satellite.co.uk
29-03-15, 17:40
Hi mutant does seem the better machine, both have a years warranty not 2 I take it. The mutant as far as I can see is quite a new name and is only sold by WOS I think whereas The VU can be purchased from a variety of dealers.
On another note I remember back last year that the Golden Interstar was the flavour of the month now whats happened to it as WOS no longer sock this model.

It wasn't out of choice, we'd happily stock all models, we've just not been able to get stock including all tuner types. Another reason was the LX3 had two embedded tuners, forcing the end users choice. Mutant HD2400 does not have any embedded tuners, therefore more configurable for the end user.

markshore123
29-03-15, 17:47
It wasn't out of choice, we'd happily stock all models, we've just not been able to get stock including all tuner types. Another reason was the LX3 had two embedded tuners, forcing the end users choice. Mutant HD2400 does not have any embedded tuners, therefore more configurable for the end user.

Hi I take it that the Mutant is probably the best out there at the moment? Also are WOS the uk distributer? Warranty I take it is one year, bought the Miraclebox last year but perhaps i should have spent the extra and would not need to upgrade.

Andy_Hazza
29-03-15, 19:12
Hi I take it that the Mutant is probably the best out there at the moment? Also are WOS the uk distributer? Warranty I take it is one year, bought the Miraclebox last year but perhaps i should have spent the extra and would not need to upgrade.

At least you have more knowledge now than you did last year. Yeah the Mut@nt HD2400 is the rolls royces of boxes at the moment, this is my next purchase!! [emoji85]

Larry-G
29-03-15, 19:57
It just looks too industrial to me, the duo2 is like a supercar in relation to the mutant being an off road range rover. As far as hybrid tuner, I can't get cable here so would never be part of my purchase decisions.

Sorry but the Duo2 is any thing but pretty, it's the size of a VCR and uses the same old chassis as the Vu+ Ultimo. The Solo2 is a pretty looking receiver as is the TM Nano 2 super, but not the Duo2.

twol
29-03-15, 20:01
I am sure the Mutant is the best of the boxes currently sold by the sponsor :)

Walt
29-03-15, 20:01
Sorry but the Duo2 is any thing but pretty, it's the size of a VCR and uses the same old chassis as the Vu+ Ultimo. The Solo2 is a pretty looking receiver as is the TM Nano 2 super, but not the Duo2.
It's all about opinions. I decided I would buy a duo2 and am still very happy with it. It does all I want and the LCD display that it seems most don't like, was a big reason for the purchase.

thor1
29-03-15, 20:15
for me both receivers have there limitations the Duo not flexible enough with tuner arrangements, mut@nt with only taking 2.5 hard drives, for someone upgrading who as a receiver with 3.5 hard drive in the extra expense for new drive

goosegog
29-03-15, 21:18
Looks and perfomance wise if i could afford a nice motor id prefer a cool old one than a faster newer one,reciever wise ive a duo,which i think looks the best looking unit ive had in me cabinet and ive lately bought a solo 2 to go in there which in my opinion just looks silly size wise but after using it along with the duo its so much quicker so i would go for the faster reciever over looks in future,not be long before silver is back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mogli
29-03-15, 21:58
Mut@nt HD2400 Defo, I had the same dilemma, Im more than happy with my choice, its a Mutant beast of a box!!

world-of-satellite.co.uk
29-03-15, 22:38
Warranty I take it is one year.

2 Year hardware warranty.

joysleep1
30-03-15, 15:51
I recommend the xtrend 10000. Looks nice and it is a power machine. Quad tuner too. Also takes both size hardrives. Sometimes gets a little warm. The remote is also nice and is universal with my tv.
Have a look into it.

joysleep1
30-03-15, 17:02
At least you have more knowledge now than you did last year. Yeah the Mut@nt HD2400 is the rolls royces of boxes at the moment, this is my next purchase!! [emoji85]

Have a look at the xtrend et10000 Andy. Definitely competes with the mut@nt HD2400.

Sicilian
30-03-15, 17:18
Have a look at the xtrend et10000 Andy. Definitely competes with the mut@nt HD2400.

So what does the ET10000 do what the Mutant HD2400 does not do? Apart from the much higher price tag? Both receivers have more or less identical hardware.

richf176
30-03-15, 17:28
Thanks for all your advice have ordered a mutant from sponsor

kellogs23
30-03-15, 18:03
Yep same here, I originally liked the idea of the front LCD but the more I think about it the more I think its just something else that can go wrong,

Bazzer
30-03-15, 18:15
I have had the Mutant for a few weeks now and to be honest it is the best box I have ever had and the support on here is fantastic. My only downside to it is the remote but I took Sicillian advise and went and bought the Logitech Harmony 650 Universal remote and now I am Happy has Larry.:D

Larry-G
30-03-15, 18:29
I am Happy has Larry.:D

LOL why bring me into it ?.

I took Sicillian advise and went and bought the Logitech Harmony 650 Universal remote

I could not agree more, I use the 600 and 650 my self and they are excellent remotes.

joysleep1
30-03-15, 19:18
So what does the ET10000 do what the Mutant HD2400 does not do? Apart from the much higher price tag? Both receivers have more or less identical hardware.

It can take 3.5inch hardrives. Better remote. And the price is not that much different than the mut@nt. It is identical if you get it abroad. I paid around 400 pounds. The mut@nt cost be 393 and was faulty. Now i am not saying that all the models are like this but browsing the European forums. The xtrend is more liked.
It also looks nicer too. I also find the the transcoding is more fluent and does not cause the receiver to crash multiple times when using it.
Just my thoughts.

Sicilian
30-03-15, 19:33
It can take 3.5inch hardrives. Better remote. And the price is not that much different than the mut@nt. It is identical if you get it abroad. I paid around 400 pounds. The mut@nt cost be 393 and was faulty. Now i am not saying that all the models are like this but browsing the European forums. The xtrend is more liked.
It also looks nicer too. I also find the the transcoding is more fluent and does not cause the receiver to crash multiple times when using it.
Just my thoughts.

Your opinion, as to crashing during transcoding must be your noobness or expertness :p, I've never managed to get the HD2400 to crash.

So what exact spec ET10k did you get at approx £400?? Funny how you remember the price of the HD2400 to the pound, but say 'around' got the ET10k, which was purchased more recently :rolleyes: Very much doubt it was identical to the HD2400 spec that you purchased, Impossible. Anyway your the expert :p

Bazzer
30-03-15, 19:43
I am thick when it comes to all this stuff but I have never been able to crash the Mutant yet and it did not cost me anywhere near that even with a hard drive fitted :confused:

twol
30-03-15, 19:53
Your opinion, as to crashing during transcoding must be your noobness or expertness :p, I've never managed to get the HD2400 to crash.

So what exact spec ET10k did you get at approx £400?? Funny how you remember the price of the HD2400 to the pound, but say 'around' got the ET10k, which was purchased more recently :rolleyes: Very much doubt it was identical to the HD2400 spec that you purchased, Impossible. Anyway your the expert :p
Sicilian, you obviously haven,t been looking at pound:euro rates recently :)
Mu@nt, obviously good spec.... But track record?
Xtrend, have a track record, office in Germany ... And continue to provide driver updates.
Its not long ago, gigablue were hot favourites and now where are they? ... And I wouldn,t saythe Vix team are wonderfully happy with VU. :)

Everybody makes their own receiver choice based on their requirements .... There is NO perfect solution for everybody .. Or the sponsor wouldn,t have a business.

joysleep1
30-03-15, 20:00

I got it from arc sat. I used openvix when i had the mut@nt. I got the xtrend et 100000 g edition. You can look at the specs online but it is a very good box. It was exactly 400 pounds with a 500g hardrive. Mut@nt was 393. It is similar specs trust me. I can show you a picture of it if you want.

And it was your exact advice i followed for the transcoding so i do not understand why i am a noob for it.41495
I bought the quad tuner version with a 500g 3.5inch hd for 400 pounds.
Anyways.. I am just saying it competes with the mut@nt. At also looks better.

Sicilian
30-03-15, 20:03
Sicilian, you obviously haven,t been looking at pound:euro rates recently :)

Even at the current exchange rates its impoossible, like for like, trust me I know the prices.

Mu@nt, obviously good spec.... But track record?

Yes been on the market for less than a year, any driver bugs? None that I know of and drivers updates have been provided when needed. Also they used very upto date linux kernel like Xtrend do.

And I wouldn,t saythe Vix team are wonderfully happy with VU. :)

Nothing against VU+, but they are very slow responding to drivers issues, 3-4 days ago I emailed them a RS232 logs from VU+ Solo and urgent driver bug, you think they've even had the decency to acknowledge receipt?

Anyway, I'm not being negative regards Xtrend, they're decent boxes too, I'm just stating the fact that joysleep1 has not stated exact spec's like for like and can only manage to remember 'around' price for ET10k, all a bit vague. As already mentioned, I know the exchange rates.

joysleep1
30-03-15, 20:04

If you factor in having to buy a universal remote because the default one is so useless then it is certainly identical in price

joysleep1
30-03-15, 20:06
Even at the current exchange rates its impoossible, like for like, trust me I know the prices.

Yes been on the market for less than a year, any driver bugs? None that I know of and drivers updates have been provided when needed. Also they used very upto date linux kernel like Xtrend do.

Nothing against VU+, but they are very slow responding to drivers issues, 3-4 days ago I emailed them a RS232 logs from VU+ Solo and urgent driver bug, you think they've even had the decency to acknowledge receipt?

Anyway, I'm not being negative regards Xtrend, they're decent boxes too, I'm just stating the fact that joysleep1 has not stated exact spec's like for like and can only manage to remember 'around' price for ET10k, all a bit vague. As already mentioned, I know the exchange rates.

Ok

Sorry if i was vague. Have a look at the specs. You will need to use chrome to translate

Sicilian
30-03-15, 20:06
If you factor in having to buy a universal remote because the default one is so useless then it is certainly identical in price

So a very well built USB re-chargeable remote is useless now?? :rolleyes:

Sicilian
30-03-15, 20:08
Ok
The exact price is on this website.
http://www.ac-sat-corner.eu/Xtrend-ET-10000-HD-Linux-Full-HD-HbbTV-Receiver-PVR-Ready

Sorry if i was vague. Have a look at the specs. You will need to use chrome to translate

and the exact spec that you purchased of each model? Come on if your going to state something be clear and concise!

joysleep1
30-03-15, 20:09
So a very well built USB re-chargeable remote is useless now?? :rolleyes:

Ok so it has a usb port. That is not really helpful. The buttons are well to small. Even you chose to buy a universal remote. You clearly did not like the remote and i am sure a lot of people will not like it. Buttons are small and the layout is awful. The xtrend remote is already universal.
You like to twist my words when you know what i mean.

joysleep1
30-03-15, 20:10
and the exact spec that you purchased of each model? Come on if your going to state something be clear and concise!

ok let me copy and paste the information if you clearly can not use the link.

A new generation of HD E2 Linux Twin Tuner Receiver of Xtrend with crystal-clear HD picture, HDMI input , two card readers. External hard drive is possible via USB port. How to install an internal hard drive is also possible. A USB front and four behind. In addition, the receiver has an Ethernet 10/100/1000 port. Linux operating system with HD E2 open source. Advanced EPG (electronic program guide).
Digital satellite receiver for HD cable TV and radio programs.
The main feature is the strong 1300 MHz dual-core processor, the Xtrend ET 10000 supports the Linux TV API
4 Plug & Play tuner
1 x DVB-S2, & 1 x DVB-C / T2 tuner.
Opera browser
HbbTV
1x HDMI 1.4 output
1x HDMI input
HD PIP, PIP HDMI IN
Dynamiches transcoding
Gigabit Lan
Plug-and-play support for 3.5 "SATA - Hard Drives
graphic VFD display
Technical data:
1300 DMIPS processor (dual core processor)
Linux Kernel / Ver. 3.1.x
4 x plug and play tuner
Tuner optional interchangeable: DVB-C, DVB-T, DVB-C / T2
Video formats: WMV9, MPEG-2, MPEG-4 compatible
Audio formats: WMA9, AC3, MPEG-4 (AAC-HE), MPEG-1
Flash 1 GB / 2 GB RAM
Fully automatic / manual channel scan options
Supports downloadable plugins
Web Browser
Android Support
iPhone / iPad support
NTFS file system support
HD user interface
PVR Ready
Front:
2 x Smart Card Reader
2 x Common Interface slot (CI)
1 x USB
Rear:
4x LNB IN, IF Out, RF IN, RF Out (depending on the tuner assembly)
4 x USB 2.0
1 x SCART
1 x HDMI Out
1 x HDMI IN
Component (YPbPr)
Composite video / audio output
optical S / PDIF digital audio output
10/100/1000 compatible Ethernet Interface
Dimensions:
Size (W x H x D): 380 x 60 x 240mm
Weight: 3.0kg
Scope of delivery:
Satellite Receiver Xtrend ET 10000
Remote control
User manual
HDMI Cable 1.5m
2x batteries
Accessories for mounting an internal hard drive (incl. Screws, cable)

Sicilian
30-03-15, 20:18
Even you chose to buy a universal remote. You clearly did not like the remote and i am sure a lot of people will not like it.

?? LOL, what?? The only time I actually use my universal remote it to power on my plasma, amp and TV, to get them to the right channels, ports etc.. and to control the volume, for everything else I use the HD2400 remote, I've got big fingers and never had an issue :trustme:

Any I think this thread has run its course and getting silly, you still didn't manage to post the spec's like for like what you ordered.

Larry-G
31-03-15, 05:34
Xtrend, have a track record, office in Germany ... And continue to provide driver updates.

They also have a track record of their security boards just up and dying, taking the receiver with them.

Sent from my iPad Air using Tapatalk

Rob van der Does
31-03-15, 06:06
....And continue to provide driver updates....
LOL.... you clearly haven't seen the date of the last drivers of the 5k, the 9k & the 8k.....
While VU still updates even their eldest boxes.