PDA

View Full Version : [VU+ Duo2] Vu+Duo2 Movies on USB stick re-boot the receiver

gerryp
26-03-15, 11:38
I have a Fat32 USB stick with avi movies on it.

They all play on my PC & Android phone without any problems.

The receiver re-boots when I plug in the stick, a message appears very quickly while re-booting, saying to
copy something and send it somewhere ( very helpful I know, but the message doesn't stay on the screen long enough to write down / take a picture of it )

Total newbie so any ideas would be very helpful.
Thanks

DaMacFunkin
26-03-15, 13:23
Yes it says to send the crash log which might explain the problem, all that picture shows is your current software version is a few months out of date.

Piranha
26-03-15, 13:41
1. After a crash, the message you will be seeking is telling you to send a copy of your crash log to the Vix team.
2. Apollo build 126 is a bit behind the times (we are at build 160 as of yesterday) - strongly recommend that you carry out a fresh flash of 160 (without settings restore, as there are various elements of your old image that are not compatible with builds after 155). As a newbie, I suggest that you read through the image guides and have them at hand before commencing, or you will probably come unstuck!
3. Your .avi files are an alien media format for your Enigma2 box and that's why it spits it out! There are E2 plugins (media players) that support various media types, but it's not an area I mess with, so can't help you with that I'm afraid.
4. Don't worry if it all seems very complicated to begin with - you will soon pick up the basics of playing with your box! Although someone on here will always give you advice, reading the guides and tutorials is by far the best way to understand what to do!

gerryp
26-03-15, 14:37
Yes it says to send the crash log which might explain the problem, all that picture shows is your current software version is a few months out of date.

I thought by attaching that picture would be of benefit, so that knowledgeable folks likes you would spot something, that I wouldn't - and bingo, you've mentioned the current software is out of date.
Thanks for that, I'll look through the guides and see if I can fix that myself - Cheers

gerryp
26-03-15, 14:44
1. After a crash, the message you will be seeking is telling you to send a copy of your crash log to the Vix team.
2. Apollo build 126 is a bit behind the times (we are at build 160 as of yesterday) - strongly recommend that you carry out a fresh flash of 160 (without settings restore, as there are various elements of your old image that are not compatible with builds after 155). As a newbie, I suggest that you read through the image guides and have them at hand before commencing, or you will probably come unstuck!
3. Your .avi files are an alien media format for your Enigma2 box and that's why it spits it out! There are E2 plugins (media players) that support various media types, but it's not an area I mess with, so can't help you with that I'm afraid.
4. Don't worry if it all seems very complicated to begin with - you will soon pick up the basics of playing with your box! Although someone on here will always give you advice, reading the guides and tutorials is by far the best way to understand what to do!

Many thanks Piranha for getting back to me. Looks like I have a lot of guide reading to do !!

I managed to browse across to the receiver via chrome and thought I might see a location folder for logs that way, but couldn't.
Then I tried browsing across to the receiver via Windows 7 "start\search programs & files " by enter the receiver's ip address but it couldn't be found.

So, off to the guides I go - ( more than likely I will be back plaguing you guys, but I'd like to try things out for myself first.)

Piranha
26-03-15, 17:04
Suggest that you download Dreambox Control Centre (normally referred to as DCC on sat forums). This will allow you to connect to your box and browse the directory structure, FTP files into it and lots of other goodies that take a while to learn.

By default, debug logs are disabled in the Vix image - using your remote, go Menu-Setup-System-Logs-Settings and change (using left or right arrow buttons) 'Enable debug logs' to yes. Press the green button to exit and save, then EXIT until you get back to the main menu - select Standby/Restart and then Restart (the logs are not enabled unless you do this)

Once the box has restarted, the logs will be running and can be accessed from DCC (with a bit of help perhaps).

If, in the future, you have a real problem with the box that is causing crashes or unexpected behaviour and you ask for help here, you will probably be asked to attach the appropriate log to your post. The info in the logs (which look like a foreign language until you get used to reading them) is a great help in problem-solving, as it gives a running list of all system activity right up to the point of total (fatal) crash.

Reading tutorials prior to experimentation will often stop you getting into a real mess! Furthermore, doing a backup prior to playing is always the right way to go!

Menu-Setup-Vix-Image Manager then green button will create a complete backup of your system, whereas Backup Manager will just create a copy of your settings and plugins. If you really mess things up, you can always revert to where you were before playing by restoring the complete image, or just your settings and plugins.

Have fun!

gerryp
26-03-15, 17:57
I can certainly start to have fun now, what a brilliant, helpful response, many thanks!

mann
26-03-15, 19:16
If you have a laptop or computer download freemake video converter and convert all your movie files to 1080p MKV format..wow what a great picture using solose and solo2..MKV format seems to play fantastic on E2 boxes.

gerryp
26-03-15, 22:28
Result, I have the log file but cannot attach it to this thread or should I just paste it in here??:sofahide:

abu baniaz
26-03-15, 23:21
I have edited a few posts which had quotes.

With regards to attaching items, links in signature may help.

gerryp
27-03-15, 23:33
log attached

abu baniaz
27-03-15, 23:38
Which plugins have you installed on your receiver please?

judge
27-03-15, 23:45
You do have quite a few plugins installed, also using tspanel to install them mighn't be the best of ideas.