PDA

View Full Version : Advice on box upgrade

hammertime
26-03-15, 10:45
Looking to upgrade my box so that I have the option of switching between Sly & Virmin freeview if desired.

Looking for some recommendations on boxes and what is good about them.

I currently have a Vu+ Duo and since I bought it have not really kept up to date with new technology/boxes

At the minute, I'm looking at the Mut@nt HD2400 and the Gigablue HD QuadPlus.

Would also be handy if any new box I get supports XBMC.

Also, anyone want to buy a Vu+ Duo? :) Purchased from world-of-satellite.co.uk

Sicilian
26-03-15, 11:06
Mutant HD2400, best multi-tuner on the market imo. Has fastest zapping between Sat and Hybrid tuners.

Regards the Duo, place it in the trading section forsale.

hammertime
26-03-15, 11:22
Mutant HD2400, best multi-tuner on the market imo. Has fastest zapping between Sat and Hybrid tuners.

Regards the Duo, place it in the trading section forsale.

Thanks mate. Yeah definitely leaning towards the Mut@nt, is this a relatively new manufacturer? Hadn't heard of it before. Is it well supported?

Yeah gonna get pics of the Duo today and post it up in for sale section.

Sicilian
26-03-15, 11:24
Thanks mate. Yeah definitely leaning towards the Mut@nt, is this a relatively new manufacturer? Hadn't heard of it before. Is it well supported?

Been around for a number of months now, driver support is excellent, Official OE-A support from OpenViX, OpenATV and also has Official OpenPLi support. Use one as my main receiver at home.

hammertime
26-03-15, 11:27
What are the limitations of the Golden Interstar XPEED LX2 HD COMBO Receiver compared to the Mut@nt?

If I only need one sat and one cable tuner, will this do the job?

hammertime
26-03-15, 11:29
Been around for a number of months now, driver support is excellent, Official OE-A support from OpenViX, OpenATV and also has Official OpenPLi support. Use one as my main receiver at home.

Not familiar with these images so I sense a steep learning curve, take it the box can't be flashed with Blackhole?

PS - The link to Mut@nt in your sig is going to the Golden Interstar page. Not sure if it's supposed to or not.

Sicilian
26-03-15, 11:30
What are the limitations of the Golden Interstar XPEED LX2 HD COMBO Receiver compared to the Mut@nt?

If I only need one sat and one cable tuner, will this do the job?

Works ok, but like comparing a mini to a ferrari. If you plan on watching and recording different channels then go for the Mutant HD2400.

Sicilian
26-03-15, 11:30
Not familiar with these images so I sense a steep learning curve, take it the box can't be flashed with Blackhole?

No, Blackhole only support VU+.

hammertime
26-03-15, 11:55
Thanks for your help. Will order the Mut@nt soon :) Hopefully I'll get my head round Vix.

hammertime
26-03-15, 17:32
Quick question. I still need to buy an additional DVB-S2 tuner if I go for this option - Mut@nt HD2400 HD Quad Tuner Digital Receiver 2x Hybrid DVB-C/T/T2 + 2x Spare Slots

Is this right? Or is there a model with one of each?

Sicilian
27-03-15, 06:48
That version only has hybrid tuners, if you want satellite tuners add them in extra tuner options.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

richf176
01-04-15, 18:34
Got my mutant 2400 tonight all set up with VIX. Very happy with it so far

hammertime
01-04-15, 19:32
Got mine yesterday. Completely new to Vix so not a clue what I'm doing. Struggling to even get a softcam set up. Have searched forum but can't find a guide to get myself up and running with Virgin freeview.

Anyone have any pointers?

Larry-G
01-04-15, 19:35
Best thing to do would be to go to our download site www.openvix.co.uk an grab a copy of the ViX manual from the tutorials and guides section. It's a very large document but well worth the read and if you have any questions abut any part just ask here.

hammertime
01-04-15, 19:42
Best thing to do would be to go to our download site www.openvix.co.uk an grab a copy of the ViX manual from the tutorials and guides section. It's a very large document but well worth the read and if you have any questions abut any part just ask here.

Thanks I have this open now.

Quick question, in terms of setup, what is the difference between setting up for Sly freeview and setting up for Virmin freeview? Do you need a different softcam etc?

It seems everything I read relates to setting up for satellite rather than cable.

Larry-G
01-04-15, 19:44
Freeview not require the use of softcams but I dont have access to cable so not much I can help with on that subject.

cactikid
01-04-15, 22:16
at a guess mgcamd 1.38 for multi tuner boxes;):whistle: