PDA

View Full Version : Virgin's 100Mbps broadband goes live

bassethound
08-12-10, 18:01
Virgin Media has announced that its new 100 megabits per second (Mbps) broadband service went live yesterday in selected areas of the UK.

The first places to access Britain's fastest commercially available broadband speed are Heckmondwike in West Yorkshire, the Hampshire town of Farnborough, Colchester in Essex and Barry in South Wales.

Households signing up to the 100Mbps service will be able to download an entire music album in around five seconds or a TV show in around 30 seconds. A full high definition movie will take just seven minutes.

As well as providing 100Mbps download speeds, the service also delivers 10Mbps upload speeds, enabling users to share content such as live high definition video.

The package comes with a custom built combined modem and wireless 'N' router, which has the potential to deliver speeds of up to 400Mbps as new services roll out in the future.

Virgin Media said that a "typical family" will be able to receive the 100Mbps service for £35 a month when bought with a phone line, or £45 per month without.

More areas will come online throughout 2011 and up to mid-2012, when Virgin Media's entire cable network covering nearly 13m households will be able to access the speed.

Virgin Media is also trialling 200Mbps broadband in Ashford, Kent, but the firm believes that the service is "a few years" away from becoming commercially available in the UK.

Sicilian
08-12-10, 18:06
Woohoo, looking forward to this :D

bassethound
08-12-10, 18:08
You will need a new modem/router LOL

Sicilian
08-12-10, 18:08
You will need a new modem and router LOL

Pretty sure the 50MB modems will work fine?

Larry-G
08-12-10, 18:11
i would just like the ability to get 20 meg cable to be honest but virmin forgot about us when they were laying fiber and theres no plans in the near future to wire up our village even though i'm 5 miles from durham city LOL.

bassethound
08-12-10, 18:15
You get a new super hub

http://help.virginmedia.com/system/selfservice.controller?CONFIGURATION=1002&PARTITION_ID=1&TIMEZONE_OFFSET=&USERTYPE=1&VM_CUSTOMER_TYPE=&CMD=VIEW_ARTICLE&ARTICLE_ID=345044&RELATED_ARTICLE_CLICK=1&RELATED_ARTICLE_NAME=What%20is%20the%20Virgin%20Me dia%20Super%20Hub?