PDA

View Full Version : Network problem

Tangfolio
24-03-15, 11:44
Been having a problem last couple of days with network disconnecting at irregular intervals and not being able to get it to reconnect.
Both wired and wireless network connections are effected, they both show an IP in network tests but the tests fail on the 'nameserver' bit and wireless can get the SSID, other devices in the same room can still connect to both using same cables etc.
Reboots don't help, only way I have found to get it to reconnect is to completely power-down the box for a while.
I thought at first that it was the Apollo 156 update as it seemed to start at the same time and no difference with 157, no one else is reporting a similar problem so maybe not the updates.

john doe
24-03-15, 18:43
are you using cccam or mgcamd?

Tangfolio
24-03-15, 19:15
Using oscam

john doe
24-03-15, 19:55
oh, sorry i dont know much about OSCAM. do you have a crash log that you can post. hopefully someone can help better than me. sorry feller

Tangfolio
25-03-15, 10:27
It hasn't caused any crashes, though it didn't do it last night and I'm wondering if the 157 update might have fixed something as I let it do the update when I finally managed to get it to reconnect late monday night.

chaser
25-03-15, 12:41
Could it be a duplicate IP address issue?

FYI, I'm running Vix 157 (and was running 155) on a Duo2 without any problem. I also use OSCAM.

I've also seen problems with Nameserver test failing. This was very specifically with a BT Homehub router and Vu+ Solo2. I could never get it to work properly when using DHCP. In the end I had to set IP addresses on the Solo2 manually.

Tangfolio
25-03-15, 19:35
Checked in the router, (Huawei HG635) connected devices, and it shows everything with unique IP.
Tried switching the VU box from LAN to WLAN and it won't connect and both are now showing the same IP but LAN reconnected when I switched back.

Not related but just done the update to 160 and the update indicator is still flashing but nothing to update.

chaser
25-03-15, 20:26
You should have done a fresh (usb / couch) install without doing a setting restore if you upgraded from 153 or lower to 155 or higher. If you did an online update, then that may be your problem. Even if you did a fresh install, it might be worth trying a clean install again.

Tangfolio
26-03-15, 09:34
I did eventually find the post about doing the fresh install of 155 as the box wouldn't get past the splash screen after the normal update. Could I ask, what is a 'couch' install?
Network hasn't disconnected again so far.

Andy_Hazza
26-03-15, 09:44
Couch flash is when you update via software updates or via image manager (which can be found by pressing blue button n ViX) [emoji106]

abu baniaz
26-03-15, 13:14
"Couch flash" is when you flash an image. This is not the same as performing an online update.

Couch flashing involves the usage of ofgwrite by Betacentauri.
Blue > Vix > Image Manager > (Select image) > Blue (Restore)

You will see ofgwrite by Betacenatauri on your screen. It will be as if you have flashed an image by USB.

You can download images direct from the image server onto your HDD, FTP an image to your HDD.

Tangfolio
27-03-15, 08:05
Thanks for all that, I had seen the menu for it but never been in a position to try it as I usually end up with VIX not booting and then have to do a USB flash.

orange1234
06-04-15, 18:04
Just for clarity, if I want to do a fresh install (Vu+ solo2 running Vix with Blue HD cross epg) because of the problems Tangfolio mentioned can someone do an idiots guide.( if there isn't one already)

From what I can ascertain, I go to http://www.openvix.co.uk/index.php?dir=Vu%2BSolo2/
then pic the latest image in this case 163 openvix-appolo

Then download this to my Hard drive on my laptop and ftp it to the Solo2 hard drive?

Then what, how do I make a settings backup first? (I don't want have to set the whole thing up from scratch)

Yikes, this world of STB and the maintenance of them is a steep learning curve :eek:

Larry-G
06-04-15, 18:10
To make a settings backup
Blue button> ViX> Backup manager.

To make a full image backup
Blue button> ViX> Image manager.

You can get a flashing tutorial showing how to flash the receiver with a USB stick from www.openvix.co.uk in the guides and tutorials section as well as the excellent and very comprehensive ViX Manual by Rob Van der Does.

To use the cough flash method download the image from www.openvix.co.uk or directly from our server in the image manager using the yellow button. If you download it from www.openvix.co.uk just FTP the entire image file still compressed to /media/hdd/imagebackups/ then use the blue button to flash / restorew the new image.

orange1234
06-04-15, 18:15
Thanks pheonix, ok I've done that.

How do I do a settings back up first?
I can't see an option for a Settings Backup in the Vix backup manager

Larry-G
06-04-15, 18:19
Just press the blue button (Off the top of my head as i'm at work so cant be 100 percent sure) while in the ViX backup manager to create the backup.

orange1234
06-04-15, 19:34
Thanks pheonix, in Vix, the backup manager says "select a backup to restore"

Green button says "New Backup" pressing that seems to do a full backup

What I was looking for a "settings backup" so I can install a version 163 and restore my settings (hopefully complete with my skin) etc.

I can wait till later if you are in work

A side issue I have is the backup manager window is only half screen so it cuts off the date so all I can see is 2015-04. (and no day or anything past -04 How do I get to see the whole file details so I know which day I am restoring (Shame I can't rename these to something meaningful so looking back next month it remind me

Backup TS media installed ...date
Clean install 163 ...date
Added dodgy addon 163 ... date

Larry-G
06-04-15, 19:47
Thanks pheonix, in Vix, the backup manager says "select a backup to restore"

Green button says "New Backup" pressing that seems to do a full backup

What I was looking for a "settings backup" so I can install a version 163 and restore my settings (hopefully complete with my skin) etc.

I can wait till later if you are in work

A side issue I have is the backup manager window is only half screen so it cuts off the date so all I can see is 2015-04. (and no day or anything past -04 How do I get to see the whole file details so I know which day I am restoring (Shame I can't rename these to something meaningful so looking back next month it remind me

Backup TS media installed ...date
Clean install 163 ...date
Added dodgy addon 163 ... date

Just to clear something up, you wont find a button that specifically says "settings backup", just press the green button while in the backup manager.

Backup manager, allows you to create or restore a settings and plugins backup. be aware though to restore plugins you will need a active internet connection as it downloads the plugins from the image feeds. you can also restore this kind of backup during the setup phase of a new install when presented with the option to use a backup.

Image manager, allows you to create a full image backup, it also allow you to download images directly from the ViX server and restore any image directly without the need for a USB stick, also known as "couch flashing".

As for the skin issue which skin do you currently have in use ?. I will help as mush as I can but I am working from memory and wont have access to a receiver to verify any thing until after my shift and thats 08:00 tomorrow morning.

Andy_Hazza
06-04-15, 19:54
If you are on a build before 155, you cannot restore from a backup, you will have to fresh flash and setup as new. You will encounter problems in the long run if you restore any backups prior to 155 build.

cactikid
06-04-15, 20:40
with the icon on red is that going to cause issues with new image with plugins down?:confused:

orange1234
07-04-15, 00:16
If you are on a build before 155, you cannot restore from a backup, you will have to fresh flash and setup as new. You will encounter problems in the long run if you restore any backups prior to 155 build.

HI Andy, thanks for pointing that out. I've just checked and the backup's that are in the backup manager say openvix-vusolo2-software-Apollo. 152-2015-04- I have been updating from Vix update and assumed it was updating as I went.

It was a long nightmare setting this all up from scratch. I started from page one of the manual and read every instruction. It took me all evening (This is my first box ever) I'm not sure I'd want to do all that again, I nearly gave up and it was rescued from the bin for one last try.

Are you saying 152 can't be updated without a fresh install and I can't back up the settings either? ...And I'll have to do all that work again? If that's a yes, think I'll be on version 152 for ever. :(

I have downloaded isettings V3.3.3 (from addons). That claims to backup settings. would you know if I could I use that to do a settings backup and then restore it to a new install?

orange1234
07-04-15, 00:35
Just to clear something up, you wont find a button that specifically says "settings backup", just press the green button while in the backup manager.

Backup manager, allows you to create or restore a settings and plugins backup. be aware though to restore plugins you will need a active internet connection as it downloads the plugins from the image feeds. you can also restore this kind of backup during the setup phase of a new install when presented with the option to use a backup.

Image manager, allows you to create a full image backup, it also allow you to download images directly from the ViX server and restore any image directly without the need for a USB stick, also known as "couch flashing".

As for the skin issue which skin do you currently have in use ?. I will help as mush as I can but I am working from memory and wont have access to a receiver to verify any thing until after my shift and thats 08:00 tomorrow morning.

Thanks pheonix, I'm using Blue HD as the skin

So Backup Manager backs up settings and / or plugins.
Image Manager backs up the whole system.

To be honest it seems unnecessarily complicated way to go about this. (from a user's point of view)

It makes sense now you have pointed it out, but I would have guessed a menu item saying

Backup

Restore

Then 3 options in each

*Restore everything from a image (full backup)
*Restore settings (settings only)
*Restore settings and plugins (internet connection necessary)

IMHO this would be idiot proof and user intuitive and people wouldn't need so much support.

I'll re read this tomorrow when I'm more awake. Sorry if I'm being obtuse. Thanks again for your help.

orange1234
07-04-15, 11:29
Ok I'm going to see if I can upgrade my solo2 to the latest version of Vix. I currently have 152. Although I have been upgrading via Vix Update, it doesn't seem to update :confused:

I have downloaded openvix-Apollo.165-vusolo_usb.zip to laptop
I have taken a backup of my 152 system using Vix Backup Manager
I have taken a backup of "settings" using isettings (plugin from addons) 3.3.3.
I have CCam - Should I make a note of the details or is there anyway I can take ANY settings over to the new install?
Will this new install erase all my recorded movies?
Will I have to set up all my tv timers again?

I must admit I am a bit daunted at a full install, just to get it back to what I already have.

I work best from a numbered list of instructions.

1) If you know any prayers now's the time to recite them

2) Fear not, if it goes tits up you can always revert to 152 by running the image manager (copy an image backup onto your laptop over FTP -just in case)

3) This is your bit ....:eek: