PDA

View Full Version : [VU+ Solo2] Is there a way to group recordings into directories?

whatsat
24-03-15, 10:07
Hi,

Is there a way to group your similar recordings into different/individual directories automatically like sly does?
i.e. if I record multiple "The Big Bang Theory" can they automatically group into a "The Big Bang Theory" directory?

This is all on an internal HDD if that makes a difference?

Thanks

Trial
24-03-15, 10:31
Hi,
create a directory for BBT, make this directory to a bookmark and then you can select this bookmark as destination for timer or auto timer.

ciao

Piranha
24-03-15, 12:35
Just to further clarify what trial has posted:

When in your default media directory (showing the contents of 'hdd/media/movie' unless you have changed the recording location) press 'Menu', this gives you various directory choices, including 'create directory'. Select that and press OK or green button. This will bring up the virtual keyboard. Blue button toggles upper/lower case and symbols. Once you have created your directory name i.e. BIG BANG THEORY, select the OK box at the bottom of the virtual keyboard to save and exit.
BTW, you can 'nest' directories within directories; that is create folders within folders - just remember to be IN a directory that you want to create sub-directories in before pressing the Menu button.
When setting up your timers, press the green button as usual, arrow down the Timer Setup screen to 'Location' and press OK. You will then be in the Select Location screen with previously used locations shown at the bottom as bookmarks. Your Big Bang Theory directory should be visible in the upper window - press the 'Channel Up' button to toggle to that window, then navigate to your BBT folder - press the GREEN button.
You will then be back at your timer setup - check you have everything set correctly, especially 'Repeat type' and 'Repeats' settings, then GREEN button to save and exit!
Hope this helps!

whatsat
25-03-15, 09:57
Thanks for the replies guys.

Is this the only way to do it? It seems that there is still a manual aspect to this (which is fine for me but not others in
my household) and it is not automatically done like on a sly box.

Perhaps a future improvement in the next image???

bbbuk
25-03-15, 10:07
You can do for autotimer

Having saw this thread yesterday, I did same thing for OH so removed existing timers and amended autotimer so for now onwards Corrie will be put into it's own directory.

Will find out tonight if it's worked.

judge
25-03-15, 10:21
Try using tags, radio button by default when in movie list.

whatsat
27-03-15, 10:32
tags seem to be a searching item rather than an organising item

Kenyan
28-03-15, 00:20
Guys I have done the same in creating a Directory and all, but am still finding recordings outside of the directory. What could be wrong?

And as whatsat said, could this be a future improvement for Vix Images to automatically create a Series Link folder like Sly?

judge
28-03-15, 00:38
tags seem to be a searching item rather than an organising item
Yes, it is a search function.

Guys I have done the same in creating a Directory and all, but am still finding recordings outside of the directory. What could be wrong?
You're not setting them all properly to record to the created directory?

And as whatsat said, could this be a future improvement for Vix Images to automatically create a Series Link folder like Sly?
Probably better & easier to work on an improved tags function, rather than create folders for each new recording.

abu baniaz
28-03-15, 01:22
Not a direct answer to your question....Have you tried to sort the recordings?

judge
28-03-15, 02:02
Pretty sure SKY don't create new 'folders' for recordings, just have a better sort by tag function.
Sky invest millions for obvious reasons, so easier to work for them.
Same feature/function any E2 box requires a lot more time.

birdman
28-03-15, 02:53
And as whatsat said, could this be a future improvement for Vix Images to automatically create a Series Link folder like Sly?That wouldn't be an improvement for me, as I put several series into one directory.
But then I do have recordings going into different directories, so it does work. You must be doing something wrong somewhere. I'd recommend sorting that out.

btw, when you say "creating a Directory", did you also make it a Location/Bookmark and set the auto-timer to use it?

judge
28-03-15, 03:33
That wouldn't be an improvement for me, as I put several series into one directory.
But then I do have recordings going into different directories, so it does work. You must be doing something wrong somewhere. I'd recommend sorting that out.

btw, when you say "creating a Directory", did you also make it a Location/Bookmark and set the auto-timer to use it?
Tags with a more obvious button press & better fiename recognition is the way to go.
No need to FTP & create directorys.

bbbuk
31-03-15, 18:21
I noticed you can't remove directory by just highlighting it and clicking on delete (red button) or via menu. It doesn't do nothing.

I removed it via telnet.

birdman
01-04-15, 00:40
I noticed you can't remove directory by just highlighting it and clicking on delete (red button) or via menu.I'd noticed that too, but forgotten about it (it's not a frequent task).
When I get around to sorting bookmarks I may have a quick look to see whether empty ones could be made to disappear...unless someone else does so first.

judge
01-04-15, 00:53
I'd noticed that too, but forgotten about it (it's not a frequent task).

Not sure what needs sorting?
Still works fine here.

41530 41529 41528 41527 41526 41525 41524 41523

birdman
01-04-15, 03:03
Not sure what needs sorting?
Still works fine here.Except that none of those images shows any Locations/Bookmarks - you're not looking at the right thing.

If you press the yellow button on image 1 (the one marked "Location") a menu pops up. It contains the Bookmarks/Locations (synonymous) that you have created. They are listed in the order you created them - which becomes very confusing when you have several and are stepping through them when setting up a new recording and trying to set the location you wish to use. Only one gets shown at a time, and you have no idea which one is coming next, nor whether it would be quicker to go up rather than down the list (which is circular).
I do this all of the time, and do have code to do the sorting - I'm just not sure whether it covers every place that a Location can be set. So for the mpoment I manually sort the list in the settings file when I add a new one.

judge
01-04-15, 03:14
Except that none of those images shows any Locations/Bookmarks - you're not looking at the right thing.

If you press the yellow button on image 1 (the one marked "Location") a menu pops up. It contains the Bookmarks/Locations (synonymous) that you have created. They are listed in the order you created them - which becomes very confusing when you have several and are stepping through them when setting up a new recording and trying to set the location you wish to use. Only one gets shown at a time, and you have no idea which one is coming next, nor whether it would be quicker to go up rather than down the list (which is circular).
I do this all of the time, and do have code to do the sorting - I'm just not sure whether it covers every place that a Location can be set. So for the mpoment I manually sort the list in the settings file when I add a new one.

Recording list -> menu button -> Settings -> button red, button green, button yellow, button blue, can all be changed for short & long button press.
Try the 'Sort by' option ratther than 'sort' for an easy to use pop up menu.

bbbuk
01-04-15, 09:09
Nothing happened like that when I tried it from recordings list. I highlighted it, pressed red button (labelled as delete).

I had set folder as a bookmark so could that be reason why it didn't allow me to delete it?

I did try via menu options and the dedicated delete/red button.

The delete/red button does delete actual recordings.

birdman
01-04-15, 19:36
Recording list -> menu button -> Settings -> button red, button green, button yellow, button blue, can all be changed for short & long button press.
Try the 'Sort by' option rather than 'sort' for an easy to use pop up menu.Well, given that I was the person who wrote the code to add the last two sort options, I do know about that.

BUT THAT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH SORTING LOCATIONS!!!!

judge
02-04-15, 00:36
Well, given that I was the person who wrote the code to add the last two sort options, I do know about that.

BUT THAT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH SORTING LOCATIONS!!!!

Didn't know you wrote that code?
Can't you re-use similar logic code for sorting locations?

birdman
02-04-15, 01:56
Didn't know you wrote that code?
Can't you re-use similar logic code for sorting locations?The code to do the sorting is trivial (i.e. it's sorted(...)). The issue is making sure that it gets sorted in the live image as soon as any change is made and then also gets updated in the settings file [config.movielist.videodirs] (which will only happen when the GUI is shutdown). My first attempts managed either one or the other, so I hand-sorted and haven't had to make many changes to the list since so it's not something I feel needs an urgent fix.
Mind you - I think it was only after that work that I discovered that the settings file wasn't updated on an init 4/init 3 switch, so I may have managed more than I thought.

And I'll need to at least have a look at deleting an empty directory...

Huevos
02-04-15, 10:57
The issue is making sure that it gets sorted in the live image as soon as any change is made and then also gets updated in the settings file [config.movielist.videodirs] (which will only happen when the GUI is shutdown).

from Components.config import config, configfile
config.movielist.videodirs.save()
configfile.save()

abu baniaz
02-04-15, 11:28
Deleting an empty directory will cause problems for people with new installations or those fitting new storage devices. You also have the issue of some movie locations being read only. Shares on PC/NAS etc.

birdman
02-04-15, 12:36
Deleting an empty directory will cause problems for people with new installations or those fitting new storage devices.It should be OK if it is under /media/hdd/movie (or whatever is being used - if that can be determined) or under a mount-point (if that can be easily checked).

You also have the issue of some movie locations being read only. Shares on PC/NAS etc.So try/except should handle that (it's no different to attempting deletion of files on read-only file-systems).

birdman
03-04-15, 12:25
from Components.config import config, configfile
config.movielist.videodirs.save()
configfile.save()AFAIR, sorting config.movilist.videodirs doesn't sort the in-memory menu list, which is cached somewhere. I think I'd tried a reload(), but can't remember whether that worked (or, indeed, whether I really did it at all...).
But the configfile.save() is something I hadn't used - thanks.

Kenyan
23-06-15, 20:29
Birdman, thanks for this, can I ask if there has been any new developments on this? Like is it possible for the Image to automatically create a folder or groups similar recordings by itself without the need of be creating a Sub-Directory?

Keep up the good work...and let us know how we can help you.

abu baniaz
23-06-15, 20:37
Not a direct answer to query, but thanks to Birdman, we have an option to compose the recordings based on event name. I now use this as my default. It makes sorting the recordings later easier. Obviously can't do anything about existing recordings.

I would have liked this to be the default instead of date.

bbbuk
23-06-15, 20:45
Not a direct answer to query, but thanks to Birdman, we have an option to compose the recordings based on event name. I now use this as my default. It makes sorting the recordings later easier. Obviously can't do anything about existing recordings.Is this feature incorporated in current image?

abu baniaz
23-06-15, 20:47
Has been for a while. It is in the recordings options, filename compostion.

birdman
24-06-15, 00:56
Birdman, thanks for this, can I ask if there has been any new developments on this?Personally I would have said no, but apparently the change I made on a request from abu baniaz is related (somehow?).

Like is it possible for the Image to automatically create a folder or groups similar recordings by itself without the need of be creating a Sub-Directory?This is a bit chicken-and-eggy as until you have created the directory you can't add it as a bookmark, so can't select it as a location for a recording. Also, you'd need to define "similar recordings" in some way.

Keep up the good work...and let us know how we can help you.Well, you've reminded me that I still need to fix the sort order of the movielist.videodirs (it's not something which gets changed all that often, and when I do I fix it by hand - then forget to apply a generic, automatic fix :( - so next time around I fix it by hand again and ....)

birdman
24-06-15, 01:01
Not a direct answer to query, but thanks to Birdman, we have an option to compose the recordings based on event name. I now use this as my default. It makes sorting the recordings later easier. Obviously can't do anything about existing recordings.Ah, yes. The incompletely added fix. Just hope that none of your long descriptions are >~230 characters.
However, I can't see how this helps sorting except when you view the listing directly via the file-system. The ViX movie listings have always allowed sorting by programme name (I added the code to sort by oldest first within the same programme name).