PDA

View Full Version : New to Satellite, Advice Needed :)

Viper2789
22-03-15, 11:48
Hello All,

I'm new here, so please bare with me!

I have just got rid of my sky subscription and I'm looking to do these things:

The Box:
I would like to record 1 channel and watch another, with the possbility of using Freeview HD too.
I like the VU+ Solo2 with an internal HD (shame they only take 2.5"...got loads of 3.5's here spare!), but can I add freeview HD to that or FreeSat HD?
Unless I can receive HD channels via other methods, scrap the FreeView/FreeSat idea!
I want to view my programs or whatever on my tablet, hence the solo2.
Somebody recommended me the Amiko Alien 2 but the Solo2 looks much better (I like the QWERTY remote with the white one!)

The Dish:
Currently have the sky minidish, but I would like to receive more satellites. Using http://www.dishpointer.com/ I can see that there are 3 sats between 29 and 13 degrees. My question is; should I upgrade the dish or/and can I just add more lnbs? I really don't want to add a motor atm lol.
Also how difficult is it to point at the satellites, time is not a issue lol!

Is there anything else I would need?

Much appreciated!

Larry-G
22-03-15, 11:59
The solo2 will allow you to watch one channel while recording another (you can technically record upto 6 channels simultaneously but they would have to all be on the same transponder as the one you are watching or recording as you only have two tuners so two transponders max).

You can receive the HD channels such as BBC1 HD / BBC 2 HD etc from 28.2 east but not many others due to measures put in place by sky uk, other satellites may vary depending on subscriptions etc. The Qwerty remote at the moment is not working outside of any image bar VTI due to driver issues from Vu+, and it is unlikely to be fixed any time soon. I would personally avoid the Alien and all SH4 based receivers for that matter but thats just my opinion.

Viper2789
22-03-15, 15:53
Thanks!
I'm pretty set on the solo2 (although the Duo2 looks pretty amazing tbh).
Could I cardshare and receive the HD channels from 28.2E?

Is it possible someone could enlighten myself about the dish?

Muchas Gracias

john doe
22-03-15, 16:30
no card sharing talk here am afraid. read forum rules. the solo2 only has two tuners and the duo 2 has more.

Viper2789
22-03-15, 17:55
I'm aware, hence why I said 'could'.
I may keep a single sky dish and see how I go with that then upgrade to a 97cm with quad lnb.

john doe
22-03-15, 18:51
I'm aware, hence why I said 'could'.
I may keep a single sky dish and see how I go with that then upgrade to a 97cm with quad lnb.

if you go with motor dish, you may want to consider the duo2, in case you want to record and watch from the same sat point, for example if you record on 28.2e and want to record on 28.2e.