PDA

View Full Version : VU+Solo2 Vix Upgrade Assistance Required.

John57
18-03-15, 17:13
Good Afternoon All

I was wondering if someone could offer me some advice on the following small issues that I encountered today while trying to update to 153.

I have been running vix 142 since it was released and it has worked flawlessly with no issues to report on my VU+ Solo2.

In order to keep fully up-to-date I decided to couch update to Vix153 today just to keep up-to-date with upgrading to Vix 153until the new changes are released via software 154 that I have read about.

I performed a full back up as I normally do and thought after going through the updating process that the new 153 was installed, in fact no install happened, I am still on 142, is there anything I need to try or do slightly different in order to perform this update. I now have access to a pc laptop (normally a mac user) so if needed I could try a new re-flash.....could the knowledgeable forum members assist?

Many thanks in advance
Kind Regards
John.

Larry-G
18-03-15, 17:16
Try a couch flash.

Blue button> ViX> Image manager>

press the yellow button to access the image server and download the image you want, then go back to the main image manager screen, highlight the image you want and press the blue button to flash / restore that image.

when the receiver reboots you should be able to use your settings backup as part of the first install wizard setup phase.

John57
18-03-15, 17:26
Pheonix

Thank you for you're really prompt response (just what I was hoping for) I will follow your guidelines and give it a go and report back with the results

Kind Regards
John

Larry-G
18-03-15, 17:28
Be aware that this is akin to a fresh flash, just as if you were using a USB stick, so make a settings backup first using the backup manager.

John57
18-03-15, 17:32
Pheonix

Followed your steps but when I pressed the yellow button to select the image I would like to load NO image from the server was available .......prior to pressing the yellow button I could see my previous saved backups.....any alternative suggestions to move me forward

Pheonix , just saw your last reply will do a backup as suggested and then continue...

Kind Regards

John.

John57
18-03-15, 17:40
Pheonix

Just completed your suggested steps, it looks like I have no access to the server as no alternative software options are visible to me, are you able to offer an alternative tip ?

Kind Regards
John.

Larry-G
18-03-15, 18:04
Go to www.openvix.co.uk (http://www.openvix.co.uk) and download the exact image version you need.

FTP that image still compressed to /media/hdd/imagebackups/ then use the image manager as above to flash it to the receiver.

John57
18-03-15, 19:50
Hi Pheonix

Thank you for your patients and guidance in trying to offer help but I have never attempted to FTP anything direct to my Solo as I simply do not know hows its done and if it is even possible to do via a Macbook Pro but I do have access to a PC Laptop now (girlfriend) but if its not possible to do this process via the mac (which I would prefer) then I would like to try to get to grips with the process of FTP using the pc laptop.

Can you share any advice on this process as I really have no experience at regarding FTP all but once shown then I am sure it will be become second nature over time.

Pheonix, I really
appreciate your help and fully understand that you offer so much help/support, and guidance to us all and that you cannot at all times offer assistance, please believe me when I say I do understand.

As always thank you

Regards
John

Larry-G
18-03-15, 19:57
Have a read of this, it may help you with the MAC.

http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/how-to-ftp-files-on-your-mac.html

judge
18-03-15, 19:59
FTP will work on any platform.
Maybe worth trying filezilla on your mac.

https://filezilla-project.org/download.php?show_all=1

John57
18-03-15, 20:27
Pheonix/Judge

Thank you both for the link and code, going to try and roll up my sleeves and give it a serious go

Kind Regards to you both

John

judge
19-03-15, 05:01
Probably better to use the link pheonix provided, didn't know OSX had a simple inbuilt FTP client.
If you want to use a familiar app on your windows, mac & linux devices, filezilla is an easy solution.
If you're only concerned about OSX to E2, use that link.

John57
19-03-15, 18:01
Hi Judge

Thank you for your tip to use the link provided by pheonix.

Judge, have I got the basics correct regarding sending files direct to the VU Box via filezilla.

When using filezilla for the first time I have to fill in all the correct details, ie port and password and maybe more, if I manage to get past this step should I see the VU box pop up in the filezilla software with all associated folders? if yes then I believe that I should then download the Vix files that I require, ie 153 and proceed to place the zip file into the correct folder on the VU box, again is this correct, and then perform the update.

Judge, I have posted a lot of question regarding the use of filezilla and I do realise that you might have answered this many, many times, believe me that last thing I want to do is to take up your time, that of pheonix and many other positive forum members who are always offering support.

Kind Regards
John.

judge
20-03-15, 04:14
If using filezilla, ftp will use the default port by default, so no need to add it.
Also, using root privileges you have access to every file/folder on the box.

John57
20-03-15, 19:03
Judge, appreciate your update,

Kind Regards
John