PDA

View Full Version : Kingston Datatraveler not seen in VIX 1.3

supathug
07-12-10, 21:49
Hi All,

Just upgraded to 1.3 yesterday. Everything is now looking ok apart from the fact that the USB stick that I want to use in the duo doesnt show in the device manager. Im using another stick at the minute (64mb) for swap which shows up fine.

The stick that doesnt show is a 2GB Kingston Datatraveler. I've gone in via SSH and can see that it does indeed get mounted as /dev/sdb after doing an fdisk -l. I've also used fdisk to delete any partitions on the stick and do a reboot on the box but still no joy. I have also used this stick many times to flash images with and it has never failed.

The last thing I tried was to put the stick in a PC and run gparted to create a EXT2 partition on it. A reboot on the duo still showed nothing. Has anyone else got any ideas on what I can try?

marty
08-12-10, 10:13
Format it to FAT32 on your PC and try again, if it then gets detected then re-format it to EXT3 useing the VU+ :)

pooface
08-12-10, 13:06
Try as marty says, maybe just didn't like it first off :p

Also, what style of datatraveller you got? I've tried both of the images below, and they worked perfectly fine for me:

http://ak.buy.com/PI/0/500/202743517.jpg
http://static.letsbuyit.com/filer/images/uk/products/original/6/61/kingston-datatraveler-mini-migo-edition-1gb-dtm1gb-661192.jpg

I know the one on bottom is a migo datatraveler, but thought I'd post it anyway to help ;)

Foxylady
08-12-10, 13:22
Try formatting as above, i have the 4gb version i got free new, i put image onto it last week the v1.3 and loading no worries, when i plug it in now box still sees it

bobonthejob
08-12-10, 14:20
It is the 1st one from the above images.

I too have this working on mines. i have a 2GB one in.

pooface
08-12-10, 15:03
It is the 1st one from the above images.

I too have this working on mines. i have a 2GB one in.

Looking around, there are various different datatraveler sticks by kingston, all a little different :p

bobonthejob
08-12-10, 15:09
the 2gb ones have a green color...

pooface
08-12-10, 15:18
the 2gb ones have a green color...

I mean different designs of datatraveler :p

This is the g2:
http://image.made-in-china.com/2f0j00CehTHNLBfMqi/Kingston-DataTraveler-G2-32GB-USB-Flash-Driver.jpg

Another datatraveler:
http://gogoea.com/bigpic/20081125174108.jpg

200 version:
http://www.hitechreview.com/uploads/2009/06/Kingston-DataTraveler-200.jpg

Yet another datatraveler version (possibly 100, not sure):
http://motheitguy.com/images/KingstonDataTraveler16GB100.jpg

See what I mean? Not talking about just the colours. I think the 500mb version of the one I posted first is a blue colour...

bobonthejob
08-12-10, 15:44
cool...yeah they ordered in the ones in the first image at work...We had the blue (512mb) grey (1gb) and then the greens (2gb).

Now i have a nice 16GB one from work....

pooface
08-12-10, 16:14
cool...yeah they ordered in the ones in the first image at work...We had the blue (512mb) grey (1gb) and then the greens (2gb).

Now i have a nice 16GB one from work....

Yup, got a 16gb one here too. Was well peed though, as I transferred all the stuff from my other memory sticks to it, put it in one machine, machine was being very slow and I was in a rush, so had to dash off, so didn't bother to do the "safely remove". Thought to myself, "how many people don't bother and get away with it". Just my luck, that I'm the one who doesn't bother, and looses all my files from there. Not a lot to be honest, but just mightily frustrating! lol

On another note, have a look at my post here (http://www.vuplus-support.co.uk/showthread.php?4456-Q-Encrypting-a-USB-Memory-Stick)... (please ;))

bobonthejob
08-12-10, 16:22
Cool mate....will check it out...

Hamram
08-12-10, 17:51
Hi All,

Just upgraded to 1.3 yesterday. Everything is now looking ok apart from the fact that the USB stick that I want to use in the duo doesnt show in the device manager. Im using another stick at the minute (64mb) for swap which shows up fine.

The stick that doesnt show is a 2GB Kingston Datatraveler. I've gone in via SSH and can see that it does indeed get mounted as /dev/sdb after doing an fdisk -l. I've also used fdisk to delete any partitions on the stick and do a reboot on the box but still no joy. I have also used this stick many times to flash images with and it has never failed.

The last thing I tried was to put the stick in a PC and run gparted to create a EXT2 partition on it. A reboot on the duo still showed nothing. Has anyone else got any ideas on what I can try?

Same thing here. The stick was visible last time I tried it, in BH 1.3.3F, but it did not show in Vix 1.3. Maybe just a coincidence, but I anyhow just ignored it, and just went on to create a swap-file, which turned out just fine. ;)

supathug
10-12-10, 09:38
Hi Guys,

Sorry for the late reply. I tried formatting to FAT32. Its still not seen in device manager. Really frustrating as it is defo seen by the box and is the stick I use to flash. I'll try and ignore the fact it hasnt come up like in the post above and see if I can use it. Just to confirm, like bob says, it is the 2GB model with the green middle and thin green line going round the edge.

pooface
10-12-10, 10:45
Hi Guys,

Sorry for the late reply. I tried formatting to FAT32. Its still not seen in device manager. Really frustrating as it is defo seen by the box and is the stick I use to flash. I'll try and ignore the fact it hasnt come up like in the post above and see if I can use it. Just to confirm, like bob says, it is the 2GB model with the green middle and thin green line going round the edge.

Personally, I'd recommend putting that usb in the rear port of the duo, telnetting in, run an fdisk, set the partition type to linux, and format it as ext2. Then, use a different usb of any size for flashing, which would be fat...

DrProzac
10-12-10, 13:52
How do you find out what the Stick has been formatted in?
Is there a quick command to see what type it is?

I think I'm using ext3 on mine? But it was a while ago now.

bobonthejob
10-12-10, 13:56
if you telnet in... you can just run....

fdisk -l

That will give you the information you need.

supathug
10-12-10, 13:57
Just telnet in as root and do an fdisk -l Your stick should be mounted as /media/usb or something along those lines. If it has a partition on it, it will show up using this command along with the partition type.

supathug
10-12-10, 13:58
SNAP! LOL thats funny Bob!

DrProzac
10-12-10, 15:05
Thanks guys.

I miss the fdisk ? so I know the switches. :)

DrProzac
10-12-10, 15:08
Is there anyway of know if it's ext2 or ext3?

bobonthejob
10-12-10, 15:18
It should say as below.... See example...

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
/dev/sdb1 1 7624 1951728 6 FAT16

Where the column is labelled 'Sytem' that will be what you are looking for.

pooface
10-12-10, 15:29
It should say as below.... See example...

/dev/sdb1 1 7624 1951728 6 FAT16

Where the column is labelled 'Sytem' that will be what you are looking for.

I think that just says "Linux system"... Doesn't distinguish between ext2/3/4...

bobonthejob
10-12-10, 15:40
It will say what it is once you have applied the creation of a new partition.

My stick currently has a fat16 system.

DrProzac
10-12-10, 15:42
All I get is the following:-

Disk /dev/sdb: 8019 MB, 8019509248 bytes
247 heads, 62 sectors/track, 1022 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 15314 * 512 = 7840768 bytes

/dev/sdb1 1 1022 7825453+ 83 Linux

But I'm not sure if that is EXT2 or EXT3

pooface
10-12-10, 15:43
If you type "mount", then it will tell you the filesystem you've mounted ;) Knew I knew it was available somewhere, just couldn't remember straight away :p

e.g. I get:

/dev/sda1 on /media/hdd type ext3 (rw,data=ordered)
/dev/sda2 on /media/hdd2 type ext3 (rw,data=ordered)
/dev/sdb1 on /media/usb type ext2 (rw)

DrProzac
10-12-10, 15:45
Thanks Poo

/dev/sdb1 on /media/usb type ext3

Should that be any problems with a Swap file then?

pooface
10-12-10, 15:46
Thanks Poo

/dev/sdb1 on /media/usb type ext3

Should that be any problems with a Swap file then?

Wouldn't think so, just that ext2 is generally a little faster for usb devices ...

DrProzac
10-12-10, 15:48
Just I'm having problems getting the swap to work at the moment.

http://www.vuplus-support.co.uk/showthread.php?4514-Creating-Swapfile-(am-I-doing-something-wrog)-Vix1.3&p=34497#post34497

I think I'll just reformat as suggested.

MarsArtis
29-12-11, 12:37
Issue here too with a Kingston 16GB Datatraveler (the one with folding metal cover).
http://gogoea.com/bigpic/20081125174108.jpg

The Usb attached on the back was at first initialized in ext using VuDuo vix 2.3 and it seemed to work. I put on it picons and set the path for timeshift.
After two days my Duo become soooo slow and the vix logo started spinning on every command issued. I discovered the USB stick went bed.
I've tried every tool to try resurrect it but noting worked (Gparted, HDD low level format, removing partition) every tools reported the Filesystem was gone. Luckyly I succeded to have it replaced.

Once back at home as soon as I connected the pendrive (FAT32 formated) was recognized ok, but the VIX refused to mount it in the mount manager... so I went in the hard disk configuration and tried to ext format it. Nothing! I got a timeouot error.
Sure it was screwed once again I tried that pen on my Mac and it was not automaticaly mounted. Launched in diskutility the partition was greyed out but recognized in ext filesystem. With my great reliefe I was able to remove the partition and make a new one.