PDA

View Full Version : [ViX_Misc] Which coloured EPG options do you prefer?

bbbuk
10-03-15, 18:56
It has been proposed by a forum member to change the four coloured options available whilst viewing the EPG...

For example, the current default options available whilst viewing the EPG are:-
http://i.imgur.com/ZQFkMK1.jpg

<RED> IMDB Search, <GREEN> Add Timer, <YELLOW> EPG Search, <BLUE> Add AutoTimer
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

However, a forum member has suggested the following four coloured options would be better:-
http://i.imgur.com/FjamVfG.jpg

<RED> is now "options" that bring up multiple-options and they are:- 1. IMDB Search, 2. Add Timer, 3. Add AutoTimer, 4. Search

<GREEN> Recordings - which now bring up your Recording/Movie list.

<YELLOW> -24hours - go back 24 hours in EPG

<BLUE> +24hours - go forward 24 hours in EPG

You will notice that "Timer" and "AutoTimer" have moved to the RED multiple options but you can still press the <RECORD> button for the same options. IMDB, which I suspect was rarely used, has been moved, along with EPG search to the RED multiple options as well.

This allowed the YELLOW and BLUE options to become - / + 24hours (respectively) within the EPG and leaving the Channel Up/Down to become Page Up/Down (respectively).

As everyone has different preferences on how they would like the new options, I thought I would start a poll but please remember it's best to be realistic and think how likely is it to be used by other Vix users'.

The Poll options are:

1. Stick with the current default coloured options (first picture).
2. Move to the proposed coloured options as indicated in second picture
3. Move to new options similar as option 2 but I have a suggestion (please specify in a post)
4. Other (again please specify in a post).

birdman
10-03-15, 20:03
I vote for 3.

Actually I vote for 2 - but with a question. Which way should the Channel Up/Down scroll the channel listing? Should Up scroll the listing Up (== go to the "lower-numbered" channels higher up the list) or go to the "higher-numbered" channels (which would tie in with what it does when you are watching a channel).

markus625
10-03-15, 20:11
I vote for option 2 but adding extra functions in the list such as zooming +- the time line and adding bouquet list.

duoduo
10-03-15, 20:26
I vote for 2 as it seems more relevant for the Epg screen to have those options, not related but would also like the screen to remain on the same page when you add a timer in the future and not go back to current time.

birdman
10-03-15, 20:34
not related but would also like the screen to remain on the same page when you add a timer in the future and not go back to current time.I'll second that part!!

divil_a_bit
10-03-15, 20:45
Definitely number 2. I really miss the "+24 hours" feature of Sky

Larry-G
10-03-15, 20:51
Definitely number 2. I really miss the "+24 hours" feature of Sky

It's already in the image and always has been.

Pressing the INFO button in most screens brings up the help screen which tells you what the buttons do in that particular screen.

judge
10-03-15, 20:53
I really miss the "+24 hours" feature of Sky
It's not missing. Press the help button when in G-EPG to see what button presses do.

adm
10-03-15, 20:57
<RED> is now "options" that bring up multiple-options and they are:- 1. IMDB Search, 2. Add Timer, 3. Add AutoTimer, 4. Search

You will notice that "Timer" and "AutoTimer" have moved to the RED multiple options but you can still press the <RECORD> button for the same options. IMDB, which I suspect was rarely used, has been moved, along with EPG search to the RED multiple options as well.

If you are correct then IMDB should not be the default number 1 option. The position should be for the most used option.

I prefer the EPG with +24/-24 hour option BUT with an indication at the top of the page to show which day/date has been reached with multiple presses of the +/-24 hour option and not just today's date/time.

Search should also have a text search option. Enter a text search term of your choice and then the EPG is searched for a match.

Larry-G
10-03-15, 21:00
seriously guys all of this talk of +24 hrs is bordering on ridiculous, that feature is already in the image and has been for at least three years. There is a help page built in to almost all screens, this tells you exactly what buttons do what in that screen.

judge
10-03-15, 21:00
I prefer the EPG with +24/-24 hour option BUT with an indication at the top of the page to show which day/date has been reached with multiple presses of the +/-24 hour option and not just today's date/time.

Search should also have a text search option. Enter a text search term of your choice and then the EPG is searched for a match.

Both options already available in the default image.

adm
10-03-15, 21:13
seriously guys all of this talk of +24 hrs is bordering on ridiculous, that feature is already in the image and has been for at least three years. There is a help page built in to almost all screens, this tells you exactly what buttons do what in that screen.

I have spent may hours going through all the options in the menus and I haven't come across the features that you say are in the images.

judge
10-03-15, 21:17
I have spent may hours going through all the options in the menus and I haven't come across the features that you say are in the images.

Is it really that hard to press the help button?

Larry-G
10-03-15, 21:27

Press the help button and find out for your self if you think i'm lying.

adm
10-03-15, 21:34
Press the help button and find out for your self if you think i'm lying.

What is meant to happen?

All I get is "TSmedia active video downloads" "Stop" "Play" "Downloads" when pressing the hep button

bbbuk
10-03-15, 21:36
I just think, from a user prospective, it makes sense to add most likely used things to the four coloured buttons where they're clearly labelled rather than have little used things (eg imdb), or another way to record (in addition to record button).

I wonder how many people actually used the IMDB search, for example?

judge
10-03-15, 21:39
What is meant to happen?

All I get is "TSmedia active video downloads" "Stop" "Play" "Downloads" when pressing the hep button
That plugin is taking over the help button so.

I wonder how many people actually used the IMDB search, for example?

I do for one, quite often.

markus625
10-03-15, 21:52
and the debate goes on and on and on.....

Larry-G
10-03-15, 21:56
What is meant to happen?

Thats because TSmedia has hijacked the Help button function (another of it's dirty habits in my opinion), by default in the ViX image the Help button opens a help screen showing what features are available and what certain buttons do in that particular screen

Huevos
10-03-15, 22:39
I've got an idea, let's move London to Edinburgh, Glasgow to Manchester, Liverpool to Birmingham and Leeds to Cardiff, and see how many people we can confused in the process. :roflmao:

scwheeler
10-03-15, 22:49
Damn, I voted wrongly :p :argue:

My vote for other should be a variation on option 2. Maybe OCD but I see no reason to have Recordings as an option in the EPG screen. I feel all coloured "option" buttons should relate as to the screen displayed.

Big big fan of CH up/down to scroll pages, and as the REC button already offers Timer/Autotimer, so probably have green as EPG search and red as whatever as I find IMDB search pointless.

guff daddy
10-03-15, 23:31
Leave it as is.
If I was going to suggest a change it would be minor - change the blue button to bring up the bouquet list, similar to when in the channel list. Otherwise making it more like the Sky UI is counter productive - I haven't used a Sky remote in about 7 years...

Kenyan
10-03-15, 23:36
I have voted for option 2...as I feel there needs to be a cleanup on the buttons, BUT, I wanted to find out what image is that that has the EPG exactly like SKY's? Can someone let me know please.

bbbuk
10-03-15, 23:40
...making it more like the Sky UI is counter productive - I haven't used a Sky remote in about 7 years...If you're referring to the skin, that is just what I use. For the purpose of this poll, I was referring to just what the coloured buttons do.

...I wanted to find out what image is that that has the EPG exactly like SKY's? Can someone let me know please.The skin is Rossi's Blue-HD v3 available from the feeds.

sticky7
10-03-15, 23:49
Could you not have a choice for the coloured buttons from menu button to allow customisation? Just a thought.
If it has to be one or other then option 2 looks good to me.

bbbuk
11-03-15, 00:01
Could you not have a choice for the coloured buttons from menu button to allow customisation? Just a thought.
If it has to be one or other then option 2 looks good to me.I think the programming logistics for customisation could be a nightmare especially if they also have to make changes to the skin as that is a lot more work with so many skins.

abu baniaz
11-03-15, 00:30
This should be most of the EPG button pushes at present:

TV = open lists of bouquets
> (next to 0) = Jump to next bouquet.
< (next to 0) = Jump to previous bouquet.

Up/down/left/right = move within EPG

8 = Page down
2 = Page up
4 = Page left
6 = Page right

CH+ = Forward 24 hours
CH- = Back 24 hours

7 = increases/decreases number of items

5 = Jump to current time
9 = Jump to prime time. Prime ime is configurable

1 = reduce time scale
3 = Increase time scale

0 = move to home of list, i.e first channel of current bouquet

EPG = Show single EPG for current channel

Text = Go to specific date/time

Blue (short) = add auto timer for highlighted event
Blue (long) = Show autotimer list

Red (short) = IMDB search for current event
Red (long) = Sort EPG list

Green (short) = add/remove timer for highlighted event
Green (long) = Show timer list

Yellow (short) = Search for similar events

Record (short) = Add record timer for highlighted event
Record (long) = Add zap timer for highlighted event

judge
11-03-15, 00:36
This should be most of the EPG button pushes at present

Thanks Abu, great post for those who seem too lazy to press the help button.

mfaraj
11-03-15, 07:29
Thats because TSmedia has hijacked the Help button function (another of it's dirty habits in my opinion), by default in the ViX image the Help button opens a help screen showing what features are available and what certain buttons do in that particular screen Many use TSmedia for downloading movies and others,this assignment of least important button(help) is very useful to view the downloads jobs without entering TSmedia
any one installed TSmedia knows how to cancel this customized assignment(not hijacked) from TSmedia settings

TK4|2|1
11-03-15, 07:54
I voted 3. Options menu is not required in my opinion. I would prefer it to bring up bouquets.
Does No body think channel +&- would be more suited to page up&down?
Why can't it be user customizable in the EPG menu? At the moment we can change the operation of the info and OK button, so why not coloured buttons?

Larry-G
11-03-15, 08:51
Many use TSmedia for downloading movies and others,this assignment of least important button(help)

The help button is and always has been a very important feature in the ViX image which is being overridden when a user installs your plugin, that is the very definition of hijacking in my opinion.

twol
11-03-15, 10:07
If I had seen Abu's post at the start of this thread, I probably would not have supported option 2.
However, the reason outfits like Apple and the google clones are successful is down to the fact that everThing is so intuitive and user friendly.
Not Pushing the help button wasn't being lazy ( dumb maybe) but I assumed something significant like jumping 24 hours would be obvious, and as it isn't..... Not implemented:)

Sometimes it's better to give in gracefully, even if you don,t agree :)

judge
11-03-15, 10:14
any one installed TSmedia knows how to cancel this customized assignment(not hijacked) from TSmedia settings

Obviously not.

duoduo
11-03-15, 10:40
Well I don't and it is really annoying actually..

bbbuk
11-03-15, 10:45
but I assumed something significant like jumping 24 hours would be obvious, and as it isn't....That's my position as well.

I can understand it's hard to fit many features into only 4 coloured buttons but some things like add (auto)timers being available from two coloured buttons as well as record button would be better from just record button freeing up two coloured buttons for things mostly used (I would have thought) and that is +/- 24hrs.

...Does No body think channel +&- would be more suited to page up&down?...This is available in option 2.

Why can't it be user customizable in the EPG menu? At the moment we can change the operation of the info and OK button, so why not coloured buttons?You can only customise things as long as it's been coded for that possible customisable option being selected and to code for everyone's possible preference would be impossible so any customisation done would be limited and may not be to everyone's preference.

I have noticed that displaying Bouquet's seem to be asked for a few times. Someone has already added this to red multi-option, or would this be preferred instead of Recordings/movie list (ie Green button)?

markus625
11-03-15, 11:19
It was suggested earlier in the thread that you can use the help button to access all these fidden features in the g-epg, ive got a mutant hd-2400 and there is NO HELP button on this remote.

divil_a_bit
11-03-15, 11:57
It's not missing. Press the help button when in G-EPG to see what button presses do.

I don't have a Help Button on my GB Quad+ remote :(

matt007
12-03-15, 00:51
Just to clarify, most of the features I implemented already existed in the EPG screen or in the image in general. As a user, I felt that the user experience could be better and that is what the purpose of the modded EPG screen was.

bbbuk
15-03-15, 18:06
At this moment, 50% like Matt's modded G-EPG screen, with 37% like the normal default way and 12% liking a variation of Matt's modded GEPG screen or other changes from the default.

markus625
15-03-15, 21:13
We do need to seriously address the issue of the popup menu disappearing off the screen which is seen in some skins,

bbbuk
15-03-15, 22:15
We do need to seriously address the issue of the popup menu disappearing off the screen which is seen in some skins,That is only with Matt's modded version isn't it? If this is implemented then I assume it would be looked at with testing with all skins.

markus625
15-03-15, 23:15
That is only with Matt's modded version isn't it? If this is implemented then I assume it would be looked at with testing with all skins.

Yes it is, have you looked at the other thread about the graphical epg I've made a mockup showing an idea of the popup menu showing vertically up on the epg row instead of down, it's much clearer looking at it then explaining it. But this is the only issue I think.

markus625
20-03-15, 19:31
Only 27 votes so far in total.

duoduo
20-03-15, 21:24
Your counting is terrible lol, it's 37 but agree lame..

markus625
20-03-15, 21:40
Your counting is terrible lol, it's 37 but agree lame..

Haha must have been a typo.

djkross
20-03-15, 22:22
I would say option 2 but can we make it a skin setting? So people can change to their desired choice?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

moell9
24-03-15, 09:46
Sorry, for asking. I'm new on this board. This EPG belongs to which skin ?

bbbuk
24-03-15, 11:15
Sorry, for asking. I'm new on this board. This EPG belongs to which skin ?

The screenshots were taken of Blue-HD skin but the EPG options are modded version by Matt. This is proposal to hopefully make the modded version incorporated into the current EPG system where as now it's done by modifying some files.

Matt thought it would be better if some most likely used/needed options are available from coloured options instead of number keys, etc which some people didn't know about.

In fairness though, if have a help button (some remotes don't) then that provided info on what number option keys, etc did what.

The first picture shows the now standard options and the second picture show options proposed and then hopefully implemented into a future build.

Mario346
24-03-15, 21:52
HELP!!! how do i install the sky looking EPG PLEASE

Regards

bbbuk
24-03-15, 21:56
If you're referring to the skin, it's called BlueHD (or newer feeds under openvix bluehd).

The thread for BlueHD related queries is here (http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?37561-Blue-HD-V3).

olly
28-03-15, 12:02
I prefer option 2 myself

rossi2000
28-03-15, 12:18
none of it will be implemented.
no point keep going on about it.

thread closed.