PDA

View Full Version : Have I been duped into a Clone?

bootlegger
10-03-15, 00:05
Someone got me excited recently by introducing me to what an openbox is.
I wanted something similair, but with dual LNB as my current dual feed freesat box is on its way out and I wanted the same features in a new box.
My research led me to a VU+ Duo being appropriate for this function.
I kept an eye on ebay for a second hand one to keep costs down.
I came across one called VU+ Duo Mini. It was faulty, but seemed like an easy hardware repair potentially (cap replace), so I bought it. (still waiting delivery)
Now I am a little more concerned that it may be a fake and may have had a wrong firmware image installed as I can not see a ligitimate reference
to a VU+ Duo "MINI" anywhere - is this a real VU+ box or a clone?

I feel a doh moment coming on.....

Thanks
Jason

judge
10-03-15, 00:09
as I can not see a ligitimate reference
to a VU+ Duo "MINI" anywhere - is this a real VU+ box or a clone?

Yes, sounds like a clone, VU haven't released any boxes with mini in the name.

goosegog
10-03-15, 00:10
hi jason,yeah im afraid a duo mini defo sounds a clone,not sure about ebay options to send it back

Larry-G
10-03-15, 00:29
Unfortunately it is a clone.

manicscrewdriver
10-03-15, 04:16
Cloned Vu+ mainboard inside a clone Dreambox 800Se case if i'm not mistaken.

Larry-G
10-03-15, 05:58
Cloned Vu+ mainboard inside a clone Dreambox 800Se case if i'm not mistaken.

Yep that's the one.

Sent from my iPad Air using Tapatalk

bootlegger
11-03-15, 01:27
thanks all. bottom lip now hanging down.....and toys thrown out of pram.....:baby:
Its my own fault I suppose for not doing research first - just got a bit over excited about finding a faulty one so cheap.
No options for sending back as its bought as faulty - known to be faulty and faulty items normally have a no return policy understandably.
I can only hope and pray that it is a faulty cap and the fix kit will work - I will then leave it well alone if it works!
Cheers
Jason

judge
11-03-15, 01:48
I can only hope and pray that it is a faulty cap and the fix kit will work - I will then leave it well alone if it works,
That's the least of your problems. Do you really want to plugin a fire hazard/flakey box with no warranty?

manicscrewdriver
11-03-15, 09:26
Hope you didn't pay too much for it. You don't want to know how much they cost in a working condition.

As has been said before, you need to do research before buying anything these days.