PDA

View Full Version : What Receiver shall i buy? All advice welcome!

RedDevil101
08-03-15, 18:53
Hi guys
I am new here!
I am after some advice about what receiver to buy.
I currently have a Skybox F5S, and while most will say it's a plastic piece of turd ;-) has done the job for me but now I'm looking to upgrade after seeing what some peoples boxes can do!

Budget of about £100

Requirements:
•PVR, either external or internal (Pref External)
•Easy OS ( Enigma maybe? Never used it, please post reviews)
•Supports CC**m (we will not discuss due to forum rules, just required)
•Full HD
•Able to be tuned to 2 different satellites (28.2 and 19.2)]
•Ethernet Port

All posts welcome.
I look forward to my stay on World Of Satellite! :-)

cactikid
08-03-15, 19:02
welcome to the mad house,if wanting to record you would need a twin tuner but budget is too too low vu solo2,new tm nano se single tuner £99 and can use external hdd.box will do many other things including many sats if dish moves;)

RedDevil101
08-03-15, 19:04
Vu boxes look great but not really what I am looking for. Only got 1 cable coming into a single tuner is fine! will look at the Tm Nano Se Single. Does it run Enigma? And is it easy to get on with?

cactikid
08-03-15, 19:17
yes got vix on it and as like others fairly simple,do me a favour and download the vu manual pdf in downloads.its the best to try and understand what we talk about.
http://www.openvix.co.uk/index.php?dir=Guides%20and%20Tutorials/

duoduo
08-03-15, 20:08
Have a look at the vu zero too, single tuner box..

RedDevil101
08-03-15, 20:17
Ok, The Vu Zero is a definite contender. Has anyone got the Zgemma-Star H1.
Does the shop sell it with Vix already on it?
Looking for something which will be easy to set up. With my skybox I can stick a cc**m.cfg file on it and then just update via USB. Is this possible with Vix?
or is there another way which is just as easy?

Andy_Hazza
08-03-15, 20:31
I would go with either the Technomate Nano-SE or the Vu+ Zero. Both enigma2 boxes, both supported by ViX and both excellent cheap boxes to get you going. And yeah WoS sells with image installed if you select it from list. [emoji106]

RedDevil101
08-03-15, 20:58
Vu+ Zero looks great! Do you know if it outputs HDCP like a sky+ HD box does or not? I like recording things straight to my PC HDD but I cant do that with channels due to HDCP. Anyone know? If it can record decrypted programs, would it just not have HDCP?

cactikid
08-03-15, 21:18
very touchy subject decrypted programs talk,and deffo dont talk about zgemma clones,we only do the original supported boxes here;)

RedDevil101
08-03-15, 21:30
Ok then lol, ill have a root about online. So Vu+ Zero looks like the best box out there for my current requirements.

What if I have 2 dishes, lets say dish 1 and dish 2, both have cables coming in to the house. I got a twin tuner receiver. Would I be able to have one cable from dish 1 and one cable from dish 2 coming into the box? And then if I selected I a channel on dish 1 in the epg, and then clicked a channel on dish 2, would it realise and switch over?

abu baniaz
08-03-15, 21:49
Answer to post 10: Yes

RedDevil101
08-03-15, 21:50
Very interesting, What is the cheapest twin tuner sat box which will run enigma and Vix?

Larry-G
08-03-15, 21:53
Ok, The Vu Zero is a definite contender. Has anyone got the Zgemma-Star H1.
Does the shop sell it with Vix already on it?
Looking for something which will be easy to set up. With my skybox I can stick a cc**m.cfg file on it and then just update via USB. Is this possible with Vix?
or is there another way which is just as easy?

you wont get help here with the Zgemma due to it being a counterfeit receiver, nor does it have any support from ViX regardless of claims you may see else where.

abu baniaz
08-03-15, 21:53
Have a look on sponsors site. Also keep an eye out in the classifieds.

Larry-G
08-03-15, 21:55
Very interesting, What is the cheapest twin tuner sat box which will run enigma and Vix?

Probably the Vu+ Solo SE with a twin DVB-S/S2 tuner installed, or one of the twin tuner TM models like the Nano 2 super.

RedDevil101
08-03-15, 22:03
Has anyone tried playing programmes recorded on a Vu+ Zero, or any new Vu+ box on their PC?

RedDevil101
08-03-15, 22:14
Answer to post 10: Yes

Would I just be able to put the other cable in if I had a single tuner. Say I want to watch the football, can I take dish 1 cable out and stick dish 2 cable in and then flick over and watch the football on dish 2?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

abu baniaz
08-03-15, 22:16
Waste of time doing that. Just combine the two using a diseqc switch. You cannot watch both together.

See this post
http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?22414-How-to-combine-a-fixed-and-a-motorised-dish-to-one-coax

RedDevil101
08-03-15, 22:19
Yeah I understand I won't be able to watch together, how much is a diseqc switch and would I get it from eBay?

abu baniaz
08-03-15, 22:23
Sponsor sells them. He may be able to price match for you.

http://www.world-of-satellite.co.uk/Technomate-TM-2S-DISEqC-2-Way-Switch?filter_name=diseqc%20switch

RedDevil101
08-03-15, 22:57
Brilliant, so a Vu+ with softcam running connected to 2 dishes. using a DISEqC switch? Do I manually switch between the different satellites or when I select a channel from the other satellite will it just flick over automatically?

abu baniaz
08-03-15, 23:04
You select channel, receiver works out what to do based on your configuration.

If you have a fixed dish zapping to that one will be instant.

RedDevil101
08-03-15, 23:08
Ok mate. I am new to Vix, Enigma 2 and all sat stuff really apart from having a basic box already. Can you explain what cahnenl and reviver are?
Your helping me out massively here. Cheers mate

cactikid
08-03-15, 23:08
i like that word instant and no spinning vix:D

cactikid
08-03-15, 23:16
channel and receiver,poor lads abit tipsy been a busy night:thumbsup:

abu baniaz
08-03-15, 23:20
Sorry, bad typing.
Receiver.
Channel.

RedDevil101
08-03-15, 23:44
Alright then, So unless I want to record one thing and watch another, I do not need a twin tuner?

abu baniaz
09-03-15, 00:01
Alright then, So unless I want to record one thing and watch another, I do not need a twin tuner?
Correct.

There is a more technical answer. Being omitted for sake of simplicity

RedDevil101
09-03-15, 00:20
Alright then brilliant. Would you recommend the world of sat shop? And how long does the stuff take to come?

cactikid
09-03-15, 00:25
quickly day or 2 hell yes great shopping place:thumbsup:

abu baniaz
09-03-15, 00:25
I would defintely recommend him. He only sells genuine items. He normally dispatches for next day delivery.

brundlefly
09-03-15, 10:40
Probably the Vu+ Solo SE with a twin DVB-S/S2 tuner installed, or one of the twin tuner TM models like the Nano 2 super.

i thought the vu+sole SE had just on single tuner slot where you could put a only a dvb-s/s2 tuner or a dvb-c/t cable tuner...was thinking of getting one but single tuner slot put me off...or am i wrong about it...?

Andy_Hazza
09-03-15, 10:53
Vu+ Solo SE is indeed a single tuner box.

brundlefly
09-03-15, 10:56
Vu+ Solo SE is indeed a single tuner box.
ok ..suppose to be a very fast reciever, shame you cant put in a hard drive though, although you can add an external usb hard drive....

Andy_Hazza
09-03-15, 10:58
Yeah thats what puts me off as I like my hdd to be internal. I'll stick to my trusty Vu+ Uno even though its dated its a great single tuner box for the bedroom.

Larry-G
09-03-15, 12:23
i thought the vu+sole SE had just on single tuner slot where you could put a only a dvb-s/s2 tuner or a dvb-c/t cable tuner...was thinking of getting one but single tuner slot put me off...or am i wrong about it...?

yes sorry my mistake, the solo SE can only take the single tuner not the twin.

RedDevil101
10-03-15, 19:56
What is better?

Internal HDD or External HDD?

Larry-G
10-03-15, 20:01
If the receiver can accommodate a internal HDD the put one in, if it cant just go for a powered USB drive as some boxes have issues with bus powered HDD's drawing too much power.

nsw9154
10-03-15, 22:30
I have several External USB Hard Drives all with their own power supply and they work just as well as a internal drive

RedDevil101
10-03-15, 22:31
Ok then.
I am looking and I see all this stuff to do with Vix and Enigma 2 etc.

What is a...
bouquet

What do I do about...
EPG Updating
Channel lists being correct
Picons
Is the OS easy to use?
How to I put the CC**m cfg file on the box for it to use?

abu baniaz
10-03-15, 22:38
W can only help with card in your receiver. Have a look at this thread. You don't need to download from another site, you can download the cams from the plugin menu. You will have to surce your own config files, they won't be installed.

http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?8704-How-to-Install-CCcam-MGCamd-amp-other-softcam-s-on-ALL-ViX-supported-Enigma-2-Receivers

RedDevil101
10-03-15, 22:52
Alright mate. Will have a look about online but when I get the box is the OS easy to use and get on with when I need to set this stuff up along with channel lists?

cactikid
11-03-15, 00:46
i would suggest to download the vix manual to pc and read through it,we dont need channel lists,autobouquetmaker does all that :D

twol
11-03-15, 10:19
i would suggest to download the vix manual to pc and read through it,we dont need channel lists,autobouquetmaker does all that :D
Autobouquetmaker is good, but it depends which channels lists you want ... So does all that - no, sometimes you actually have to do the work :)