PDA

View Full Version : Unable to update to any version of Open Vix that is post maintenance server move

baronarmy
08-03-15, 18:07
Hi

I have a Gigablue HD Quad that has a really old version of Open Vix on it (last updated 19/09/2013), this runs fine with no problems and until now I haven't had the need to update it.
Due to this version being linked to the old update servers it is not possible to perform the software update from the menu. I have download the latest version (openvix-Apollo.153-gbquad_usb.zip) and copy it to memory stick, pop the memory stick in the USB port and power on the GB quad, it detects the image, press OK and off it goes...

However, after the image has been flashed and the box restarts, it boots to the Open Vix splash screen on the TV and just sits there. This happens for all versions of Open Vix that I download (that are post server switch-over). If i copy a backup image back on to the USB stick and flash this to the GB Quad, this flashes ok all is back to normal again. This eliminates potential memory stick problems etc.

I have even FTP'd the latest version on to the HDD in the GB Quad and using the menu I have tried to upgrade using the image manager, but this upgrade fails and it just hangs on the screen (updating in progress, this may take a few minutes..)

Any advice ? ideas ? from what I can make out is that for some reason any version of Open Vix that is post server move wont flash to my box. Help!?!?!?!

Many thanks in advance, Gav

cactikid
08-03-15, 18:18
did you check first of all using correct image to box and was there a new bootloader added since last time,review the new flashing stickies in case something changed:D

baronarmy
08-03-15, 19:02
Thanks for the response cactikid.

Its definitely the correct image for the make/model of box (Gigablue HD quad). I sure i'm running an old boot loader, Ive gone through all of the version information in the settings on my box and I cant find what the GB quads current boot loader version is ? I have downloaded the latest version and therefore would like to verify that my box is running an older version before upgrading (especially as boot loaders can brick the box).

If i update the bootloader, how would that perform with the current "old" open vix image that's on the box. I.e. when the box restarts after a bootloader upgrade and loads in to an old VIX image.

Many thanks in advance! Gav

Larry-G
08-03-15, 20:43
update the bootloader to the newest version on www.openvix.co.uk
There is no way to check the bootloader version from the image, you would need to create a bootlog via the RS232 port to see the bootloader version.

Alec
08-03-15, 20:46
Thanks for the response cactikid.

Its definitely the correct image for the make/model of box (Gigablue HD quad). I sure i'm running an old boot loader, Ive gone through all of the version information in the settings on my box and I cant find what the GB quads current boot loader version is ? I have downloaded the latest version and therefore would like to verify that my box is running an older version before upgrading (especially as boot loaders can brick the box).

If i update the bootloader, how would that perform with the current "old" open vix image that's on the box. I.e. when the box restarts after a bootloader upgrade and loads in to an old VIX image.

Many thanks in advance! Gav
I think the boot loader changed after build Apollo 24 12 August 2014. So it seems that you need to up date that first.

cactikid
08-03-15, 21:13
so new bootloader and then new image with no restore settings to be used.

baronarmy
08-03-15, 22:57
Many thanks Guys. I'm going to perform the upgrades tomorrow and ill post back with (hopefully) good news :)

manicscrewdriver
09-03-15, 21:58
If you want to keep your channel settings you can use Dreamboxedit to back them up before flashing the box. you just transfer them back. Works fine for me on my 800Se

Also If you have a motor make sure you jot down the co-ordinates before flashing them :D