PDA

View Full Version : using both cable tuners

joysleep1
07-03-15, 20:29
Hi
With the mut@nt you can have two cable tuners fitted. Has anyone managed to use both of them at the same time, are there any issues with cable signal loss using both of them. Can you record from one cable tuner and record from another without losing picture quality?
Thanks

nsw9154
07-03-15, 21:09
You can fit 2 separate cables or you can Just fit a loop cable between the 2 tuners and set them up separate either way they will work just fine

I have 4 tuners all interlinked with loop cables and it works perfect

joysleep1
10-03-15, 10:57
So you are using both the cable tuners?
Forget loop. So you have to feeds from your cable provider into both tuners on the mut@nt. So you can record one cable channel and watch another?
Thanks

nsw9154
10-03-15, 12:49
I have 4 cable tuners fitted to my Mutant not 2 and I only have 1 cable feed connected to tuner 1 then looped through to tuner 2 - then tuner 2 is looped through to tuner 3 and tuner 3 is looped through to tuner 4 and like I said previously the Mutant is working perfect with just 1 cable feed, I have also tried connecting 2 cable feeds and the end result was the same as with just the 1
one other point do not forget to Enable all your cable tuners and set them to Virgin UK

41099 41100 41101

joysleep1
11-03-15, 10:37
I have 4 cable tuners fitted to my Mutant not 2 and I only have 1 cable feed connected to tuner 1 then looped through to tuner 2 - then tuner 2 is looped through to tuner 3 and tuner 3 is looped through to tuner 4 and like I said previously the Mutant is working perfect with just 1 cable feed, I have also tried connecting 2 cable feeds and the end result was the same as with just the 1
one other point do not forget to Enable all your cable tuners and set them to Virgin UK

41099 41100 41101

I am a bit confused by your set up. If you only have one cable tuner fitted. Does that not mean you can only have one tuner which is acive. So you will not be able to record a channel and watch another channel at the same time. It also looks like you have no satellite tuners on there?
Is that the case for you

rossi2000
11-03-15, 12:54
he has 4 cable tuners fitted as indicated by his tuner setup.

only main feed connected to tuner a and the rest have loop through cables.

joysleep1
11-03-15, 14:41
he has 4 cable tuners fitted as indicated by his tuner setup.

only main feed connected to tuner a and the rest have loop through cables.

I do not understand the advantage of the loop through cables? If there is only one main feed going into tuner a, why would you loop it to another tuner?
Thanks

abu baniaz
11-03-15, 16:10
Satellite: You cannot share/split cable
A tuner without a cable can be configured as "loop through" to make use of what the tuner with cable is locked onto. This is software based and you are restricted in what you can watch.

Terrestrial/Cable: You can share split cable cable.
If you extend/split/loop out a cable, each tuner has a signal cable to it. It must be configured to match the signal cable that it has. This is not same "loop through". As tuner is receiveing signal, it is independednt of other tuner.

http://www.world-of-satellite.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=41122&stc=1

joysleep1
11-03-15, 17:19
Satellite: You cannot share/split cable
A tuner without a cable can be configured as "loop through" to make use of what the tuner with cable is locked onto. This is software based and you are restricted in what you can watch.

Terrestrial/Cable: You can share split cable cable.
If you extend/split/loop out a cable, each tuner has a signal cable to it. It must be configured to match the signal cable that it has. This is not same "loop through". As tuner is receiveing signal, it is independednt of other tuner.

http://www.world-of-satellite.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=41122&stc=1

I still do not understand the advanatge
I know with satellite, you have a feed from the dish and a cable going from it to the satellite receiver into the lnb in slot. If you have a twin satellite then you need 2 feeds from the dish. That all makes sense

But with the cable you have a virgin media coax cable that you screw in with an f connector so you can receive cable signal. Now this is connected to one cable tuner. In order for you to use both cable tuners independantly, do you not have to split the coax cable and insert a splitter so you can get 2 cable feeds into each tuner.?
By using one cable into one of the cable tuners on the mut@nt, what would the advanatge in using one feed from your cable line and looping it onto to another cable tuner?

So in that picture you posted. Am i correct in saying it shows one cable going into the receiver (could this be the mut@nt) going into the cable tuner and a loop cable going from that tuner into another one?

Sorry if that sounds confusing, i just want to get my head around this.

Larry-G
11-03-15, 17:22
Cable and terrestrial TV feeds can be looped out allowing you to use multiple tuners with a single feed, as with nsw9154's setup above he can use all four cable tuners in his receiver with a single feed to one tuner, then he loops that feed out to the other tuners in turn.

Sent from my iPad Air using Tapatalk

Larry-G
11-03-15, 17:58
I'm not a cable person to be honest as I have never lived in a cable area, but I do know that if your signal is too strong or too weak it can cause all kinds of problems.

joysleep1
11-03-15, 18:14
Cable and terrestrial TV feeds can be looped out allowing you to use multiple tuners with a single feed, as with nsw9154's setup above he can use all four cable tuners in his receiver with a single feed to one tuner, then he loops that feed out to the other tuners in turn.

Oh ok.
I didn't know you could do that. So you feed the actual cable into the input of let's say tuner c and you insert a loop cable from the rf out into the rf in on tuner d for example?
Is this correct?

Larry-G
11-03-15, 18:20
Oh ok.
I didn't know you could do that. So you feed the actual cable into the input of let's say tuner c and you insert a loop cable from the rf out into the rf in on tuner d for example?
Is this correct?

I am not sure if you use a physical cable or just set the tuner to loop through in the tuner settings to enable a internal loop through but the principle is the same. Someone with the receiver and tuners would be able to confirm exactly what is needed though.

nsw9154
11-03-15, 18:47
you can not set the cable tuners to loop through via the internal software like you can with sat they have to be physically connected via cables

abu baniaz
11-03-15, 19:32
I stand corrected, there is no software "loop through" option for the combo tuners. Sorry.

As above, bottom line is each of the tuners must have a cable to it. How you do it is up to you.

nsw9154
11-03-15, 19:53
And strangely with the Mut@nt if like me you have 4 cable tuners tuner 4 must be connected otherwise you get no signal even though all the other tuners are connected disconnecting tuner 4 stops the signal to the other 3 but if I was to take tuner 4 out altogether the other 3 would work, hope that makes sense LOL :)
me and Rob had a good discussion about it and found out that it is a fault with the Mutant drivers and not with vix

joysleep1
11-03-15, 20:20
you can not set the cable tuners to loop through via the internal software like you can with sat they have to be physically connected via cables

So with your set up, how many cable channels can you record at the same time. ?

nsw9154
11-03-15, 22:02
Never really tried but I have had about 6 recordings going all at once

joysleep1
11-03-15, 22:40
Never really tried but I have had about 6 recordings going all at once

Really?
So with one feed, you can do that?
Even if the channels are on different polarisations or something like that?
So did you say you have a physical cable going from your output of tuner a into the input of tuner b and so on?

nsw9154
11-03-15, 22:45
Yes if you have 4 tuners I could probably be able to record more but never really tried, I had 4 recordings going tonight at the same time 2 footy matches -F1 - and Discovery channel

abu baniaz
11-03-15, 22:48
On cable/terrestrial, all the data comes down the one cable.

You must have a cable to each tuner. Whether you use a splitter and run separate cables or you use the loop out cable. Bottom line is each tuner must have a cable.

nsw9154
11-03-15, 23:17
I made my own loop cables using RG6 sat cable and good quality F connecters bought from sponsors, and sat to cable connectors - male/female bought from flee-bay

joysleep1
11-03-15, 23:32
Oh i thought you have to had split the original cable into two and so you get two feeds. I did not know you can just loop the cable into another tuner. So if you go with the loop option, does that act like a twin satellite tuner where you can record one channel and watch another.
Is it better to split the original cable or loop the cable?

abu baniaz
11-03-15, 23:36
Oh i thought you have to had split the original cable into two and so you get two feeds. I did not know you can just loop the cable into another tuner. So if you go with the loop option, does that act like a twin satellite tuner where you can record one channel and watch another.

Yes.

Is it better to split the original cable or loop the cable?

Either will work

joysleep1
12-03-15, 00:02
Yes.

Either will work

hmm interesting

So if i had the mut@nt with 2 satellite and 2 cable tuners. A+B are satellite and C + D are cable
I insert the cable into tuner c rf in port and screw that in. I then use a separate cable connecting the rf out from tuner c and connect it into tuner d rf in port right?
This will then allow me to watch a cable channel, lets say sky sports 1 and to be able to record another completely separate channel lets say discover hd or something.
Is this correct?
Also, i am not mistaken, i think you get one of these cables when you buy the mut@nt.

abu baniaz
12-03-15, 00:11
Yes.

I don't understand why you are confused. You are asking the same question over and over again. With the same answer being given over and over again.

joysleep1
12-03-15, 08:34
Yes.

I don't understand why you are confused. You are asking the same question over and over again. With the same answer being given over and over again.

I'm sorry. I just wanted to understand the way it works. Thanks for clearing that up

joysleep1
12-03-15, 14:32
Any one know where you could buy good quality loop cables from?

brundlefly
12-03-15, 17:45
Any one know where you could buy good quality loop cables from?
why dont you use one of those old cables that you normally use to have for video recorder that went into the back of the socket, like these they are ideal for cable tuners...

joysleep1
12-03-15, 18:13
why dont you use one of those old cables that you normally use to have for video recorder that went into the back of the socket, like these they are ideal for cable tuners...

Hmm
Not sure I have those lying around. I'll have a look.
Thanks

abu baniaz
12-03-15, 19:31
Make sure you look at the connections of the tuners before you buy/make. Some are F-plugs, some are bellin-lee

joysleep1
13-03-15, 10:54
Make sure you look at the connections of the tuners before you buy/make. Some are F-plugs, some are bellin-lee

Hi
Sorry abu i know you said before it does not make a difference if you split the cable or use the loop but i read something on the linux support formus where someone who tried to use the loop option. They tried this on the gigablue quad and said that they could record one channel but only watch another channel on the same transponder or polarisation or something like that.
Would that be the case with all cable receivers or combo receivers?

abu baniaz
13-03-15, 10:59
Hi, It should not be. Using a loop cable is basically extending it. can you post what the person said.

joysleep1
13-03-15, 11:07
Hi, It should not be. Using a loop cable is basically extending it. can you post what the person said.

Ok i will try find it.
But with nsw saying he can record 4 channels at the same time i think it is safe to say it does work. it is definetely less hassle than splitting. I just wanted to get an idea what would be better in terms of signal quality and what would result in the least signal lost.
anyways thanks abu.

widar
13-03-15, 11:17
Maybe talking about satellite not cable receiving?

electrocop
15-03-15, 01:01
You keep mentioning polarization and transponders - this is purely for satellite tuners where the receiver effectively controls the dish (LNB) to receive particular signals. With cable, all the signals are present simultaneously on the incoming cable and the cable tuner merely decodes whichever signals it requires.
Using a loop cable enables all tuners to 'see' all the signals and therefore multiple programs can be recorded.
As others have suggested, a simple cable can be made up with appropriate connectors and going from tuner A output to tuner B input, B output to C input etc, with the main cable feed going into tuner A input.

joysleep1
15-03-15, 22:28
You keep mentioning polarization and transponders - this is purely for satellite tuners where the receiver effectively controls the dish (LNB) to receive particular signals. With cable, all the signals are present simultaneously on the incoming cable and the cable tuner merely decodes whichever signals it requires.
Using a loop cable enables all tuners to 'see' all the signals and therefore multiple programs can be recorded.
As others have suggested, a simple cable can be made up with appropriate connectors and going from tuner A output to tuner B input, B output to C input etc, with the main cable feed going into tuner A input.

Oh ok
That makes sense. So if you only have two cable tuners. Would it be better to split the main signal and have two input feeds or insert the main feed and loop it to the other tuner. When I mean better.. I mean in terms of signal loss or getting the best out of the signal and so both tuners can work effectively.
Thanks

Peterj
15-03-15, 23:05
Just try it and compare signal strength using 'satfinder'.
Also when you are using splitters, you will have signal loss.
It is possible the tuner has a small amp in it to boost the loop through output signal to the same level as input.(I don't know)

electrocop
16-03-15, 13:01
Using a loop cable should be better - as Peterj stated, there will be some signal loss involved when using splitters and most tuners with loopthrough (like VCRs) actually boost the signal slightly to the output connector to minimize the possibility of losses.

brundlefly
17-03-15, 09:56
Oh ok
That makes sense. So if you only have two cable tuners. Would it be better to split the main signal and have two input feeds or insert the main feed and loop it to the other tuner. When I mean better.. I mean in terms of signal loss or getting the best out of the signal and so both tuners can work effectively.
Thanks
id like to know this as well , i hav two cables coming into my house from the box on the wall, but it has one input or cable in coming in from the street, ive split one line already, was gonna split the other as well but thought maybe it will cauase a loss in signal strenth quality etc...how many times can you split a virgin feed ?

joysleep1
17-03-15, 10:02
id like to know this as well , i hav two cables coming into my house from the box on the wall, but it has one input or cable in coming in from the street, ive split one line already, was gonna split the other as well but thought maybe it will cauase a loss in signal strenth quality etc...how many times can you split a virgin feed ?

How do you have two cables coming from the box. I thought you only get one main feed from the exterior of the house.?

abu baniaz
17-03-15, 10:06
Everyone's signal levels are different. As mentioned by PeterJ, best way is to connect and find out. The signal levels for modems and TV are different.

brundlefly
17-03-15, 10:56
How do you have two cables coming from the box. I thought you only get one main feed from the exterior of the house.?

too be honest this was done years and years ago when vm was known as telewest/blueyonder days of dial up internet, both lines are active as i have VM broadband with them, one line went into one room and another into another, basically it is still one line coming in from the main box outside but split into two by a splitter that they used years ago, now ive split one of those two lines into two again, and im thinking of splitting the other into two as well...my SNR on VM is around 69% at the moment so far ive split the line 3 times, having 2 cable tuners , seperate boxes and superhub, i may add two additional cable tuners, one to each box, thus making 5 connections...from 1 line coming in...im sure its gonna have some effect on signal....lol:eek:

joysleep1
17-03-15, 17:02
Well I should be getting my replacement Mut@nt soon. I'm just wandering if the loop cable they provide will work for my cable feed or if i should try buy a better one. I don't really know how to make good quality ones so anyone know where you can purchase them from?
Thanks

Sicilian
17-03-15, 17:29
Well I should be getting my replacement Mut@nt soon. I'm just wandering if the loop cable they provide will work for my cable feed or if i should try buy a better one. I don't really know how to make good quality ones so anyone know where you can purchase them from?
Thanks

The loop cable they provide is F type, not RF Type. In any case any loop cables supplied by manufacturers are not normally that great, I'd recommend you make your own of buy some good quality RF loop cables.

Peterj
17-03-15, 19:25
too be honest this was done years and years ago when vm was known as telewest/blueyonder days of dial up internet, both lines are active as i have VM broadband with them, one line went into one room and another into another, basically it is still one line coming in from the main box outside but split into two by a splitter that they used years ago, now ive split one of those two lines into two again, and im thinking of splitting the other into two as well...my SNR on VM is around 69% at the moment so far ive split the line 3 times, having 2 cable tuners , seperate boxes and superhub, i may add two additional cable tuners, one to each box, thus making 5 connections...from 1 line coming in...im sure its gonna have some effect on signal....lol:eek:

every 1->2 splitter has a damping of 4 - 6 dB (depending on quality).
When you have 3 splitter you have signal loss 12 - 18 dB . That's a lot.
You better replace the old stuff. Nowadays there is a lot interference of 4G. Old cable and old splitters are not good anymore.

The situation I have. 1 main lead into a line amplifier (max 25dB). After the line amplifier I have a 12 output divider (most people have 4 or 6 output). The first output lead has a damping of -12.5 dB , the last one -24 dB.
I tuned my amplifier so that the signal output of the last (-24dB) has the same level as the main lead.
The outputs with less damping (-12.5, -13.5, -14.5 .....) I use for the longest cables in my house (to bedrooms) and the outputs with the highest damping (.....-23, -24) I use for the shortest cables. This way I have (almost) in every room the same signal level as the main lead.

joysleep1
17-03-15, 23:16
The loop cable they provide is F type, not RF Type. In any case any loop cables supplied by manufacturers are not normally that great, I'd recommend you make your own of buy some good quality RF loop cables.

Oh I thought the f type connectors were adequate for cable looping. Is this not the case?
Also you mentioned that you could buy good quality RF cables. You don't specify where you can get these from. Any websites or links. Do wos sell any?

electrocop
18-03-15, 00:42
The choice of connectors depends on the tuner type - typically Satellite tuners are F connector type, and Cable / Terrestrial tuners use Belling-Lee (sometimes called PAL RF connectors), this is not set in stone however and some Cable tuners do use F connectors. Your choice of cable depends on your receiver or tuner type.
What Sicilian meant was that the loop cables supplied by the manufacturers are in general F-type for satellite tuners and are not the best quality.
As some of us said in a previous post, it is very easy to make up your own cables using plugs and cable which can be obtained from any local TV antenna dealer - even the likes of Maplin or B&Q (if that's all you have).

Peterj
18-03-15, 11:03
Some examples of coax connectors.
The one with white cap is bad. Don't use them anymore.
The 'silver' one is better, but not good enough.
The one with big belly is good.
The one standing up is also good. I prefer this one.

joysleep1
18-03-15, 12:00
I made my own loop cables using RG6 sat cable and good quality F connecters bought from sponsors, and sat to cable connectors - male/female bought from flee-bay

Some examples of coax connectors.
The one with white cap is bad. Don't use them anymore.
The 'silver' one is better, but not good enough.
The one with big belly is good.
The one standing up is also good. I prefer this one.http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B001DZGLB8/ref=pd_aw_sim_ce_3?refRID=0P2WRGZRY0MNFMJ0FC15

For my Mut@nt HD2400 to work as a second cable tuner.

joysleep1
18-03-15, 12:01
Looks like what nsw has made but just longer.

Cosmic Truth
06-04-15, 18:08

41099 41100 41101

What kind of cable feed socket ( I doubt that's the correct term) does the Mut@nt have mate? Is it the screw in kind, or is it similar to a terrestrial ariel socket you use to get on video recorders?

abu baniaz
06-04-15, 21:01
Here is link to the tuner
http://www.world-of-satellite.co.uk/Mutant/Mutant=hd2400-hybrid-dvb-c-t-t2-tuner-module

Cosmic Truth
06-04-15, 21:07
Here is link to the tuner
http://www.world-of-satellite.co.uk/Mutant/Mutant=hd2400-hybrid-dvb-c-t-t2-tuner-module

So it's the ariel type connection, as opposed to the screw in, satellite LNB connection? Thanks for that mate. :thumbsup:

Do you know if the VU+ Duo cable receivers use Samsung tuners?

Eiji
12-07-15, 04:03
Does the Mutant come packaged with the loop cable that is for the cable tuners or is it the F connector type for sat tuners?

abu baniaz
12-07-15, 04:12
Pretty sure you are asking what type of connection does the hybrid tuner have on the mutant.

Eiji
13-07-15, 00:12
Pretty sure you are asking what type of connection does the hybrid tuner have on the mutant.

So it's the RF aerial type.

I just need these two right?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/120984739363

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/131226349171

abu baniaz
13-07-15, 00:35
Yes, it has the Belling-Lee connector. Yes, you need the items you linked to.