PDA

View Full Version : Lost internal HD...

GiP
07-12-10, 18:32
Hi,

I just switched on my STB ( from standby) and the HD wasn't there anymore, no movies, only the USB flash in the device manager and so on. I restarted the box and it reappeared with all the movies since yeterday but nothing new since last night (I have about 7/8 timers a day...). It happened before but it was just after I flashed 1.3 and was playing with settings and network So I supposed it was that, but this time I wasn't doing anything.

I have CrossEPG downloading from OpenSat every hour but the database (which is on the USB flash!) is not updated since 7:30PM yesterday so something weird happened when (or shortly after) I put it on standby (around 1AM).

What could cause this?

GiP

silverfox0786
07-12-10, 18:46
have you checked your mount points in vix menu, device manager

irishchris
07-12-10, 19:07
The same happened me few months suspect power surge as I switched of and on at back quickly and hard drive no longer appeared. Only way I got it back in end was to telnet into box and format it. Meant I lost everything on it but has worked perfect since :)

GiP
07-12-10, 19:24
have you checked your mount points in vix menu, device manager

The HD didn't even appear in the Device Manager so I couldn' check and, as I said, after a restart everything went back as it was supposed to be, files, movies and all.
Only weird thing is that the USB flash appears with a "mount point:swap" instead of /media/sdb1 but I suppose it's normal when it's used for swap too.

Maybe the "HD off when not in use" didn't bring it back? Or it should be in the DM anyway?

GiP

silverfox0786
07-12-10, 19:55
The HD didn't even appear in the Device Manager so I couldn' check and, as I said, after a restart everything went back as it was supposed to be, files, movies and all.
Only weird thing is that the USB flash appears with a "mount point:swap" instead of /media/sdb1 but I suppose it's normal when it's used for swap too.

Maybe the "HD off when not in use" didn't bring it back? Or it should be in the DM anyway?

GiP

looks like you gonna have to do what chris suggested and re initialise it in cvs menu

menu, setup, system, hard disk

GiP
07-12-10, 20:03
looks like you gonna have to do what chris suggested and re initialise it in cvs menu

menu, setup, system, hard disk

Why? I'll lose all the movies.... It doesn' seem to be a problem with the filesystem, it seems as the physical device wasn't recognized or restarted by the box.

GiP

rasp
07-12-10, 20:52
Take the the hard drive out connect it to your pc and see if picks it up in the bios BOOT UP no need to alter file system, hard drives can go down at any time either in a STB or PC

GiP
07-12-10, 21:29
Take the the hard drive out connect it to your pc and see if picks it up in the bios BOOT UP no need to alter file system, hard drives can go down at any time either in a STB or PC

I don't see what this could tell me, maybe I wasn't clear before but after a restart everything is fine, the HD is there and the files too. This happened before once, after a restart the HD disappeared; only this time there wasn' a restart and I was worried, only I saw in another thread that the auto restart doesn't "disable" as it should so maybe there was a restart during the night after all.

So the problem seems to be how can it happen that after a restart sometime the HD disappears. It never happend before the upgrade to 1.3.

GiP

GiP
23-01-11, 12:25
Well, it happened again and I have some new info.

After a "restart" the HD wasn't there anymore, as there was no HD installed. So I connected to th box and saved a "dmesg" this is what happens.

----------------------
ata2: SATA link up 1.5 Gbps (SStatus 113 SControl F0000)
ATA: abnormal status 0xD0 on port 0xb051011c
JFFS2 notice: (20) check_node_data: wrong data CRC in data node at 0x07216800: read 0x7d128964, calculated 0x9d4ef079.
ata2.00: qc timeout (cmd 0xec)
ata2.00: failed to IDENTIFY (I/O error, err_mask=0x4)
ata2: classification failed
ata2: reset failed, giving up
--------------------

Th system doesn't seem to be able to "talk" to the HD. Maybe the HD dowsn't reset properly or is to slow to start up or there is some incompatibility.

Anyway switching off for 20-30 secs and on again most of the times fixes it and the HD is again visible with all the files and everything is fine.

I think the WD Caviar green should be listed as "not completely compatible" and Il find another HD to install.

GiP