PDA

View Full Version : General Questios Help Needed Please?

champs4life
04-03-15, 21:45
Hi,
I am new here so please bare with me.
I want to know the process of flashing an image like vix onto a UE+ box.
I have looked on various threads, pages etc but I am really confused on what to do.
What exactly is bootloader?
Do I have to flash the bootloader before the image?
Finally how many different versions of the VIX image are there and is VIX image updated daily?
I hope someone can answer my questions and to put my mind to ease as this process of flashing an image seems complicated.

champs4life
05-03-15, 19:20
Can anyone please be so kind enough to reply to me post. It is of urgency. Thanks.

Andy_Hazza
05-03-15, 19:59
Hi, yeah flash the latest bootloader first, this literally just takes a few seconds, if you blink you may miss it. lol
Then flash the latest ViX image which is Apollo build 153. Team ViX do regularly update there images, but once you have flashed with build 153 you can easily do software updates via the menu. [emoji106]

champs4life
05-03-15, 22:11
But I read you dont have to flash the bootloader on the gigablue box if bought after 2012. Is this true as I dont know what to do? Dont gigablue boxes come with updated bootloader anyway?

electrocop
06-03-15, 01:28
It wouldn't hurt to flash the latest bootloader as a matter of course if you're unsure as to which version is on your box - it takes no more than a minute, then you're free to load whichever image you want.

Sicilian
06-03-15, 07:19
If you've just purchased there's no need to reflash bootloader.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

champs4life
06-03-15, 13:44
If I don't flash the latest boot loader would it screw up the box?

@sicilian, so if you get the box without a flashed image will it have the latest boot loader?

Larry-G
11-03-15, 17:46
If I don't flash the latest boot loader would it screw up the box?

@sicilian, so if you get the box without a flashed image will it have the latest boot loader?

It won't cause any damage, but the newer images simply won't function properly, that's if they even boot up without the latest bootloader. The bootloader it self is very easy to flash and in almost all cases it is the same procedure as flashing a image only faster.

You can download the latest bootloaders, images and flashing tutorials for all the receivers we support from www.openvix.co.uk.

Also as Sicilian stated if the receiver is brand new you won't need to flash the bootloader, if it is not brand new then just flash it any way just in case.

Sent from my iPad Air using Tapatalk

champs4life
13-03-15, 21:46
Just to clarify is the bootloader the manufacturers own firmware?

abu baniaz
13-03-15, 21:50
It is not firmware, but bootloader. They are two different things. But yes, they are from the manufacturers.

The bootloaders that the Manufacturers forward to us are also located here
http://openvix.co.uk/index.php?dir=Bootloaders/

Andy_Hazza
13-03-15, 23:26

Have you managed to pluck up the courage to flash your receiver yet champs?

Larry-G
14-03-15, 06:50

The best way to describe the bootloader is that it is akin to a BIOS on your PC / Laptop, it is solely provided by the manufacturer them selves, no image team has any thing to do with the bootloader.

champs4life
14-03-15, 23:22
Have you managed to pluck up the courage to flash your receiver yet champs?

Been really busy plus delivery is taking long.

champs4life
14-03-15, 23:23
The best way to describe the bootloader is that it is akin to a BIOS on your PC / Laptop, it is solely provided by the manufacturer them selves, no image team has any thing to do with the bootloader.

Im confused. So the bootloader is basically how the box runs by the Manufacturer? Without the bootloader the box wouldnt function right?

champs4life
17-03-15, 01:09
Could anyone please reply to my last post?

abu baniaz
17-03-15, 01:16
Without the bootloader the box wouldnt function right?
Correct. As mentioned earlier, if you have recently bought the receiver, no need to flash the bootloader. You only need to flash a new bootloader when a new one has been released.

So the bootloader is basically how the box runs by the Manufacturer?
Mainly incorrect. A receiver will have a bootloader and an image. The bootloader will affect how box operates.

champs4life
20-03-15, 00:30
Correct. As mentioned earlier, if you have recently bought the receiver, no need to flash the bootloader. You only need to flash a new bootloader when a new one has been released.

Mainly incorrect. A receiver will have a bootloader and an image. The bootloader will affect how box operates.

What happens if I dont flash a new boot loader when released?

abu baniaz
20-03-15, 00:42
It depends what the issue being addressed was.

For instance, one of the last bootloader changes for one manufacturer was to show the boot progress status. So not important.
Another example for another manufacturer was: If you had not updated, the receiver would not boot using newer images. So this is obviously very important.

Anyway, for your receiver, you have already been advised that there is no need for you to flash the bootloader. Stop worrying about it. It will be OK.