PDA

View Full Version : Which vu as a second box?

Fuzzy
04-03-15, 12:16
Hi

I have had a VU+ Duo2 for about a year now and it is a lovely piece of kit - no complaints about it whatsoever. I will soon be moving into a new house with my partner though and I think I'll be needing more than one box as we often watch different things. My duo2 has 4 S2 tuners and a dvb-T2 tuner and it has a 1Tb internal hdd.

So, my questions are: Would a second box need an S2 tuner or could it use one of the tuners in the duo2? I have a sky subscription so if my card is in one box, could I watch encrypted channels in the other? Would it be a good idea to put the dvb-t2 tuner in the second box? Would the second box need it's own hdd? If it did have its own tuner, could it record onto the duo2's hdd? Would it be a case of having 2 standalone boxes that are networked together, or one main box with the second slaving off it? And finally, which vu+ box would be the most suitable for my needs? I was thinking of a Solo or Solo2 but I have only ever owned one (my duo2) so I don't know a great deal about any of the others.

Sorry for all the questions and thanks very much in advance for any help! :)

bellejt
04-03-15, 12:51
I have 2 duo2's here and second box is using remote stream on ethernet connection.Also using one tuner and HDD of the master box.In belgium the differance in price between solo and duo is a few euro's.PS : no need for tuner in second box.

duoduo
04-03-15, 20:08
I recently purchased a vu zero for my bedroom, the solo2 is my main receiver and I just use remote channel stream converter plugin to use a tuner from solo2 to watch sky upstairs.

Fuzzy
05-03-15, 12:31
Thanks for the advice guys. I'm not sure the budget will allow for another duo2 Bellejt (much as I'd like one), so I may well go for a zero - I don't think zeros were out when I bought my duo2. Just had a quick read of the description on WoS and the zero is actually recommended as a second box to a Solo2 or Duo2 :)

Larry-G
11-03-15, 18:17
I don't own the Zero but it is highly regarded by those I know who do own one, although my self I would probably go for the TM Nano SE just because it looks prettier than the plasticky shell of the Zero, but that's just my opinion.

Sent from my iPad Air using Tapatalk

john doe
11-03-15, 18:36
i have the vu zero in bedroom and its great. you can also watch movies that have been recorded on the main reviver. plus all the plugins from feed and ftping

Larry-G
11-03-15, 18:42
i have the vu zero in bedroom and its great. you can also watch movies that have been recorded on the main reviver. plus all the plugins from feed and ftping

You can also use the remote channel stream convert plugin too, this will allow you to borrow a tuner from your main receiver and stream it to your client receiver with full EPG etc.

Sent from my iPad Air using Tapatalk

c9550927
11-03-15, 19:35
solo se is a really good box. I came from an uno and am impressed. single tuner mind

Fuzzy
26-03-15, 20:42
Thanks for everyones's advice on this. I went for a Solo2 in the end. Probably not such a good choice because it has just died on me :confused: I had 2 faulty Duo2's which had to be returned when I bought that, just over a year ago, so I shouldn't be surprised...

WoS is down for maintenance, too :rolleyes:

Andy_Hazza
27-03-15, 01:17
I have a Vu+ Solo2 n its been rock solid, as has my Vu+ Uno too.

Huevos
27-03-15, 01:58
Yep, Solo2 is brilliant.

All depends what your needs are. Here my main box is 4x DVB-S2 + DVB-T. And there are plenty of times all 4 of the satellite tuners are tied up. So if it were me I'd always take a feed to the second box rather than using RCSC, but it is a good back-up option.

If you want a cheapish box I'd probably go for the Nano SE, over the Zero, or for mid-range box the Solo2.

No.Trace
27-03-15, 08:42
Hi there ...

A friend of me is using a raspberry pi in the sleeping room.
with xbmc and the vu+ pvr plugin. for sd u need also a lizenz.
perhaps you have a raspi and can try it ;)

greetings no.trace

i am using an xtrend et4000 in the sleeping room, isnt really fast but i got it a few years ago.

DaMacFunkin
27-03-15, 08:53
Thanks for everyones's advice on this. I went for a Solo2 in the end. Probably not such a good choice because it has just died on me :confused: I had 2 faulty Duo2's which had to be returned when I bought that, just over a year ago, so I shouldn't be surprised...

WoS is down for maintenance, too :rolleyes:who are you buying these boxes from?