PDA

View Full Version : How do you xfer files (movies) from USB to vu+SOLO2 ??

theblitz
02-03-15, 22:50
I have been having serious problems FTP-ing into my Solo2. I hear there is an issue with vermin medias superhub2 that is the underlying cause and no-one is yet able to help of provide a concrete solution.

Can someone guide me to how I would transfer files from an USB stick directly onto the vu solo2?

abu baniaz
02-03-15, 22:52
I have a VM superhub2. No issues transferring files from PC to receiver. As it is a gigagbit router, that is a bonus too.

You can use dream explorer plugin if you want to transfer using STB. YOu have not said what format the stick is in.

theblitz
02-03-15, 23:00
I have a VM superhub2. No issues transferring files from PC to receiver. As it is a gigagbit router, that is a bonus too.

You can use dream explorer plugin if you want to transfer using STB. YOu have not said what format the stick is in.

Thanks for the quick reply.

Whats STB - Ideally i would like to be able to FTP. I have opened ports, tried all sorts of different setting but no luck - So the only thing i can think of is to xfer files via USB. i was able to FTP in via filezilla before but its stopped all of a sudden a few months back.

In regards to format - I can format the stick FAT32 or NTFS. But what im after is how to xfer the files. Is it just a case of plugging it in - i tried mounting a usb before but never worked for me.

abu baniaz
02-03-15, 23:09
STB = set top box.

Describe the exact process you are trying to do. What program are you using. Where are you transferring from and to which directory on your receiver.

You do not need to foramt the USB stick. we would liek to know what filesystem it is in. If you connect a fat32/ext device it will be rocognised and if teher are vieos on it, you iwll be prompted to play them. If it is not in taht forma, you may need to install drivers. As you have not said what format the stick is in, can't say.

There may be other options available to you. Such as setting up a network share. Let us concentrate on you not ben able to transfer files by FTP for th moment.

judge
02-03-15, 23:09
STP = set top box.
No need to open any ports if you're transferring on local network.
If any playable files are on the root of your USB, you should get a message on screen asking if you want to play them.
You can also use the yellow button when in filelist to change location to the mounted USB.
You can move files here too by pressing menu.
Can you telnet to the box? If so, you can copy files from one location to another too.

theblitz
02-03-15, 23:13
STB = set top box.

Describe the exact process you are trying to do. What program are you using. Where are you transferring from and to which directory on your receiver.

You do not need to foramt the USB stick. we would liek to know what filesystem it is in. If you connect a fat32/ext device it will be rocognised and if teher are vieos on it, you iwll be prompted to play them. If it is not in taht forma, you may need to install drivers. As you have not said what format the stick is in, can't say.

There may be other options available to you. Such as setting up a network share. Let us concentrate on you not ben able to transfer files by FTP for th moment.

Sure thanks - Would very much appreciate if you could help in getting my ability to FTP through filezilla back if poss.

Am 'trying' to login through filezilla

I used to see the root directory from where i would navigate to HDD/Movie/.... and then paste movie files from my PC into the folder i created.

Now i can't connect to the 'STB'

theblitz
02-03-15, 23:14
STP = set top box.
No need to open any ports if you're transferring on local network.
If any playable files are on the root of your USB, you should get a message on screen asking if you want to play them.
You can also use the yellow button when in filelist to change location to the mounted USB.
You can move files here too by pressing menu.
Can you telnet to the box? If so, you can copy files from one location to another too.

I not too sure about telnet - never done it before and aint got a clue where to start.

abu baniaz
02-03-15, 23:19
In simple terms,
explain what you want to do?
what have you tried to achieve it?

judge
02-03-15, 23:23
I not too sure about telnet - never done it before and aint got a clue where to start.

Abu & I replied at the same time...
Update with an answer to Abus questions, there should be no reason you can't ftp on your local network, so best to get that issue sorted first.

judge
02-03-15, 23:24
Sure thanks - Would very much appreciate if you could help in getting my ability to FTP through filezilla back if poss.

Am 'trying' to login through filezilla

I used to see the root directory from where i would navigate to HDD/Movie/.... and then paste movie files into the folder i created.

Now i can't even connect to the 'STB'

Your port is wrong, FTP by default is 21.

theblitz
02-03-15, 23:25
In simple terms,
explain what you want to do?
what have you tried to achieve it?

I am trying to FTP into my Solo2 STB - to xfer files across.
My FTP was working fine until a few months back - but now it just fails to connect as per the screen shot above.

theblitz
02-03-15, 23:27

Have just tried port 21 and get the error again

I have tried both ports 20 & 21 many times but get the same error.

judge
02-03-15, 23:29
My FTP was working fine until a few months back - but now it just fails to connect as per the screen shot above.
Editing a post to include screenshots after a reply has been made isn't the best of ideas as it could easily be missed.
Anyway, looks ike your issue is using port 20 rather than 21, also as you're usig filezilla, no need to enter a port unless you've changed the default.

theblitz
02-03-15, 23:31

I have also tried port 21 and still no luck.

judge
02-03-15, 23:32

Looks like you might also have the IP wrong or ftp is disabled? no need to black it out, it's a local network.
Look at Menu -> Information -> Network on the box for the correct IP.

abu baniaz
02-03-15, 23:33
Someone posted a similar issue where ftp was not working for their Solo 2. They flashed fresh with no restores and that solved their issues.

theblitz
02-03-15, 23:35
Looks like you might also have the IP wrong or ftp is disabled? no need to black it out, it's a local network.
Look at Menu -> Information -> Network on the box for the correct IP.

Thanks - Already re-checked the IP a dozen times and its defo correct.

theblitz
02-03-15, 23:37
Someone posted a similar issue where ftp was not working for their Solo 2. They flashed fresh with no restores and that solved their issues.

Ah ok - i re-flashed about 30 minutes ago but did a restore from a january rather than from the back up file a took today.

Are you saying flash again and start from scratch ?

abu baniaz
02-03-15, 23:42
Starting fresh once in a while is a good idea.

See this thread for someone else who had a similar issue.
http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?44201-Unable-to-access-box-with-DreamboxEdit-or-any-other-ftp-client&p=343690&viewfull=1#post343690

theblitz
03-03-15, 00:01
Starting fresh once in a while is a good idea.

See this thread for someone else who had a similar issue.
http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?44201-Unable-to-access-box-with-DreamboxEdit-or-any-other-ftp-client&p=343690&viewfull=1#post343690

Ok kool thnx Abu...let me try a full flash of the latest image without a restore. Most likely wednesday as i will be away for couple days as of tomorrow. Will let u kno hw i get on.

Thanks for ur (and judges) prompt help and support.

theblitz
04-03-15, 23:15
Looks like flashing without restoring and starting from scratch done the trick. I noticed that the ip address for my STB changed but all good. Am able to ftp in again.

Thanks for all your help abu & judge.