PDA

View Full Version : Ariva S300 Recovery (RS232)

JoshuaGrey
28-02-15, 00:48
Hi All,

I recently purchased an Ariva S300 and immediately installed the USB WiFi adapter i got with it. However after a few minutes with this installed (still in menus) the receiver cut out and reset, and it no longer displayed a picture - essentially bricked.

I then ordered the Null Modem RS232 (USB Version) so that i could reinstall the original firmware and restore the receiver to working order. However im having trouble flashing.

I followed the instructions from the official Ferguson website, and used all their files, but i keep getting either 'Error1' or 'Error2' - and the box wont flash.

Anyone have experience with this and maybe give some advise as to how i can flash the receiver?

Thanks!

Sicilian
28-02-15, 07:05
You may may need to use a pc with dedicated RS232 port.

JoshuaGrey
28-02-15, 08:32
Oh damn - im pretty sure i dont own a computer with dedicated RS232 port. Is there anything else that i could possibly try?

The computer im on now does seem to recognise the USB as a COM port..

john doe
28-02-15, 10:06
i looked into this for my box as i had same issue, although not a ferguson, but libertview. the tutorial did say not to use usb, but female to female null modem cable. also you will need a comms port on pc, which i didnt and decided to ditch the box and grab a vu zero.

JoshuaGrey
28-02-15, 13:27
Yeah, I'm not buying a whole new computer just to flash it back. Gonna take it back to shop and get another one or possibly different model

satmankilkeel
14-03-15, 23:26
hi mate, just browsing for a solution to a problem with an arriva 150. first could you direct me where to ask the question ?
the question is how do i reset or upgrade a 150 combo when you dont know the password, can it be done by rs232 cable?

manicscrewdriver
15-03-15, 10:53
JoshuaGrey, You can just buy a dedicated RS232 pci card for your computer. It just plugs into one of the pci expansion slots on the PC and works perfectly so there is no need to buy a new computer. Theres loads on that famous online auction site.

I've had the same card in all of my PCs for the last 10 years or so. If anything its something that the sites sponsors should look at supplying as i'm sure the demand would be there. USB to serial convertor leads have always been a complete waste of time for flashing any STB.

You can also get PCMCIA to RS232 adapters which also work fine in laptops.

Sicilian
15-03-15, 15:01
These work very well http://www.world-of-satellite.co.uk/Cables-Leads-Accessories/Newlink-USB-to-RS232-Serial-Cable-Lead-Adapter-Convertor-PROLIFIC-PL2303-CHIPSET

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk