PDA

View Full Version : Anyone got a HTC Desire HD?

Sicilian
07-12-10, 08:20
Just trying to get peoples opinions on the HTC Desire HD. Getting bored of my iPhone3GS and have been looking at the HTC Desire HD.

So far the only downside I found is the battery life, battery on 3GS aint great either. Have you got one? Used one? Whats your opinions?

pooface
07-12-10, 09:36
Don't have the HD, but I have the Desire Z, which is more of less the same phone, except for the processor, screen and battery. Although, I think that the battery life is meant to be about equivalent...

I preferred the DZ over the HD because I didn't want such a big screen, and wanted the physical keyboard. Although the one thing I've found over time using it, is that the keyboard just isn't as good as the Touch Pro 2 I had. I think I was spoilt with that keyboard :p. But, the touchscreen keyboard is pretty good.

Battery life, I have found that I get roughly a day out of it, but that's with quite high usage. Often using tapatalk to check the forums, gmail push, exchange push, imap checking every 15 minutes, wireless always switched on, bluetooth on for about 2 hours a day, at least 30 minutes talking a day, at least 20 odd texts a day...

Currently I'm having problems with the htc sense though, in that it doesn't pick up my messages, contacts, call logs etc. But, I can make it do the ring, lock the phone and find the phone...

If you want any further info, then I can pass it on to you :) As I said, very similar phones :p

Sicilian
07-12-10, 09:39
I might buy the upgrade today, I'll have 7 days to return if not happy anyway. Suppose you cant really see how a phone like this is like until you've really used one.

pooface
07-12-10, 09:59
My advise would be to go to the carphonewarehouse or somewhere that will have one on display for you to actually play with (probably aren't many, but I'm sure if you ask, they will likely be able to get one out for you to play with), then you can hopefully get an idea if it's something you'll likely enjoy using?! What is it you want out of the phone?! Is it just that you're fed up with the 3gs, or is there something that the 3gs annoys you with, and you're hoping that the dhd will improve?! Or, is it like most of us, you're bored with it and just want a new gadget :p hehe

Sicilian
07-12-10, 10:24
Just want a new gadget lol!

The main thing i'm looking for is ease of use with email and interent and a nice screen. I did try one in Carphonewarehouse yesterday, was quite impressed tbh, but like i said you really need a few days to play with it.

SLOTH
07-12-10, 10:49
Mates ...i got the new N8 nokia ...nice fone ... sicilian ...what ya planning to do with the iphone ...???????? i always wanted an i phone ...hint hint
Sloth

Sicilian
07-12-10, 11:11
Mates ...i got the new N8 nokia ...nice fone ... sicilian ...what ya planning to do with the iphone ...???????? i always wanted an i phone ...hint hint
Sloth

Once I know I'm going to be happy with the HTC It will be up for sale, excellent condition, well looked after. I've also asked Orange for the Unlock code to too, so it will unlocked to all networks.

pooface
07-12-10, 11:29
Once I know I'm going to be happy with the HTC It will be up for sale, excellent condition, well looked after. I've also asked Orange for the Unlock code to too, so it will unlocked to all networks.

One thing I would suggest you do before you sell it... Apparantly, the iphone has the ability to set your number on to the sim card. E.g. previously, when I used my sim card in my DZ, if I got to Menu -> Settings -> About Phone -> Phone Identity, under the phone number it was blank. There is no way to change this on android phones that I've seen (apart from in the cyanogen mod rom apparantly, but I never tested it). But, I nicked a blackberry off a colleague for a bit, and that as well as the iphone allows you to set your phone number on to the sim card. This then allows you to have a "Me" contact card. This is used for sms threading etc, where it detects that it was you who sent the picture.

In terms of email, what type of accounts do you have?! Since android is a google system, google is heavily used in it, so you will have to have a google account to make good use of it :p. Then, if you have a gmail account, you will be able to tell the phone to "push" the emails to it, so you receive them instantly (assuming you have data connection on all the time, and a reception). You can get exchange server to do the same... If you have imap/pop mail, you can get it to check every x minutes (I've set mine to 15). Turning all of this off will increase battery life. In terms of email, you can get it to show all pop/imap/exchange in the same folder, or you can choose which one you want from at the top...

Any further questions, then lmk...

jjp2701
07-12-10, 12:07
hi sic i have the samsung galaxy s and i love it lovely big screen and very fast on the internet, i had the htc desire befor this and hated it,it kept dropping calls so sent it back and they gave me another and that done the same i even replaced the sim, so i wouldnt touch the desire myself, i love my samsung like i said and apps r easy to install, and it is easy toget any app free , i will help u with that one if u decide to go to android, so personal choice i like my samsung, def 5/5 for everything on it m8,

SLOTH
07-12-10, 12:14
Sic ...let me know about the iphone , would be interested
Sloth

pooface
07-12-10, 12:23
hi sic i have the samsung galaxy s and i love it lovely big screen and very fast on the internet, i had the htc desire befor this and hated it,it kept dropping calls so sent it back and they gave me another and that done the same i even replaced the sim, so i wouldnt touch the desire myself, i love my samsung like i said and apps r easy to install, and it is easy toget any app free , i will help u with that one if u decide to go to android, so personal choice i like my samsung, def 5/5 for everything on it m8,

I would guess that was to do with the radio though?! So, I would guess that the radio in the sgs is better than the one in the desire. Not sure whether the z/hd use the same radio as the desire though!? I've had a few instances where I've not been able to make calls because the signal is too low. But then again, I had exactly the same signal issues with the orange sf...

jjp2701
07-12-10, 12:58
well i think so pooface, like i said i love my samsung galaxy s, the battery life is alot better than the desire too

pooface
07-12-10, 13:03
Might be worth waiting for the Google Nexus S...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-11930190

It's based on the Galaxy S, but has android 2.3 inbuilt...

jjp2701
07-12-10, 13:30
ohh that will be a good one then

Sicilian
09-12-10, 19:18
@ Poo, is your HTC on orange? Do they add their poxy customisations to the rom? Still making my mind up on this.

pooface
09-12-10, 19:23
@ Poo, is your HTC on orange? Do they add their poxy customisations to the rom? Still making my mind up on this.

No, I have my contract by o2 cpw. Works out about £5 a month after cashback, and have bought the phone sim free...

One thing to note about htc phones on orange, you only get a 1 year warranty, whereas if you bought the phone sim free or (I guess) on any other contract, htc give you a 2 year warranty...

Gonna see how well the phone can handle a little pop later *fingers crossed*

Had a look at it, and no liquid came out when shaking it. So hopefully all dry. Dunno whether I should still keep it in the rice for another day or so though...

Sicilian
10-12-10, 06:37
Decided I'm going to order one today from Expansys sim free, so I'll get 10 days to use it and decide if I like it or not :)

Sicilian
10-12-10, 09:14
Just had a thought, if I got one as a free upgrade from Orange, is it possible to flash the original HTC rom to it?

pooface
10-12-10, 09:24
Just had a thought, if I got one as a free upgrade from Orange, is it possible to flash the original HTC rom to it?

I would imagine that it is possible. Not followed the desire hd, but with the desire z, you just need to root the phone, get s-off (security off) and then you have access to flash roms. Might need the clockwork mod to do that, not sure, as I stuck with my rom that it came with (as was an unbranded one). But even if you can't flash the htc standard rom, you should be able to flash another custom rom... This does invalidate the warranty apparantly, but if you needed to send it in, then you would more than likely be able to restore to the original orange rom (can't say for sure).

Best thing to do would be to have a look at the xda-developers forum. Plenty of info for you to ponder over there ;)

cozmo
10-12-10, 15:23
i had a iphone 3gs 32gb and was iphone to the heart never even look at anything else then tried a samsung galaxy s and love it to bits would have an andriod phone anyday over a iphone now :)

lilo_booter
11-12-10, 17:32
Another vote for the Samsung Galaxy S here - awesome phone. Have even hacked up a rough python script to control my vu+ and dreambox (should work with all enigma and enigma2 systems - mebbe some tweaking required).

Sicilian
12-12-10, 07:04
Another vote for the Samsung Galaxy S here - awesome phone. Have even hacked up a rough python script to control my vu+ and dreambox (should work with all enigma and enigma2 systems - mebbe some tweaking required).

I didn't like the look of the Samsung Galaxy S, just seemed a bit too plasticy.

lilo_booter
12-12-10, 11:50
I did look at the Samsung Galaxy S, just seemed a bit too plasticy.

That wasn't something which springs to mind for me :) - pricey was my impression. Ultimately, Android is just a great platform - some nice phones kicking around.

Larry-G
12-12-10, 11:53
ive had a iphone 3G and a 3GS but both are a mere shadow of my HTC desire. it simply blows them both out of the water and it's so customisable too. hell i'd rather have my dads HTC wildfire than a iphone now.

silverfox0786
12-12-10, 13:54
ive had a iphone 3G and a 3GS but both are a mere shadow of my HTC desire. it simply blows them both out of the water and it's so customisable too. hell i'd rather have my dads HTC wildfire than a iphone now.

i'll take your iphone off ya then

Larry-G
12-12-10, 13:57
i'll take your iphone off ya then

lol sold it to my sister last week for £150.

jjp2701
12-12-10, 14:41
like i say the samsung galaxy s is a mega good phone, hard to beat, i think