PDA

View Full Version : Recent downtime, apologies to all members

Sicilian
23-02-15, 15:11
I'd like to apologies for the length of recent downtime we've had. Started over a week ago with server hardware issues. Cut a long story short, server hard drives where replaced, but we're still facing issues.

A new server was order last week, but we're still waiting for a delivery date. While we're waiting for delivery I've decided to open on a temp basis, so we will go offline again for a day or two once new server is ready.

Good news is that once we've moved to the new server will be on a much higher spec server with 12x 1TB raided, stripe + mirror hard drives, so if we face HDD failure again, we should be back online much sooner.

Again apologies to all members.

bbbuk
23-02-15, 15:26
Just would like to say glad you're all back up and running now.

Hope you managed to sort all the problems.

Sicilian
23-02-15, 15:38
Just would like to say glad you're all back up and running now.

Hope you managed to sort all the problems.

Read above, still ongoing atm.

Sicilian
26-02-15, 16:23
Back online at last! It's been a bit of a headache, but we've got there in the end.

Please note there's still some tweaking going on to hopefully improve things more.

twol
26-02-15, 17:13
Back online at last! It's been a bit of a headache, but we've got there in the end.

Please note there's still some tweaking going on to hopefully improve things more.

Its just a pleasure to have you back ... even if only intermittently over the next N days!

Sicilian
26-02-15, 17:15
New server is much higher spec, should hopefully save at lot of time if the same happens again in the future.

mskhan01
26-02-15, 17:28
Honestly speaking We missed you Guys.We really appreciate your hard work & efforts & last few days were like missing our family.Welcome back Guys & keep up the good work:thumbsup:

jukkal
26-02-15, 19:20
New server is much higher spec, should hopefully save at lot of time if the same happens again in the future.

Aren't they always, when you replace old computer hardware with new..
Well, glad to see you back, like the others have said.

fast65
26-02-15, 19:25
good to have forum back. Am sure you have had to work hard to get it up and running

best wishes

chaser
26-02-15, 20:10
Good to see the forum back in action. Really appreciate the efforts you've had to put in, for the benefits of us all.

With the forum down, I had to spend the last week speaking to the wife ;-s

Sicilian
26-02-15, 20:12
With the forum down, I had to spend the last week speaking to the wife ��

I divorced mine :D :lol3:

duoduo
26-02-15, 20:55
I speak for all those who have also been in a deep state of mourning over the last week in welcoming you guys back, it's good to see your getting things sorted and a couple of days downtime really isn't the end of the world.

Keep up the great work chaps

dlmlus
26-02-15, 20:58
Thank you Guys
For all your hard work and dedication.

ronand
27-02-15, 00:11
Welcome back guys!

:-)
27-02-15, 15:28
Hurrah - great that you are back online! Your old server is upsetting a very delicate ecosystem with its HDD hissy fits.

If your supplier of new server hardware doesn't hurry up with delivery - get a second hand HP Rack Mount server off eBay with dual redundant hot swap power supplies (as once you have RAID5 up and running the PSU tends to go next) & run the forum on that as a Virtual Machine for added failover ability.

Any doubt about the longevity of the second hand HP Server Motherboard? Just renew its capacitors & put a pair of new PSU cages in - keep the old PSU's & rebuild them too (capacitors again).

Beware Dell RAID Array Controller Hardware - practically any other make is better.

Never entirely trust a backup set that you have not proved will restore blank identical hardware to a working state with its data intact (re Virtualisation/ Virtual machines) - too much useful info on this forum to loose to a corrupt backup that will not completely restore.

Good luck with the new server!

bellejt
27-02-15, 15:51
my daily routine can take place again now server is back.Thx guys :)

cactikid
01-03-15, 11:14
nice to see ya to see ya nice as someone once said:confused:i cant imagine the heartache of sitting on a deck chair somewhere drinking heavily in the bahamas then waking up to that:eek:virtual reality was a nice dream but hard work was done by many + 1 to get us back up and running.
welcome back and may the forum and punters be happier:wave::D