PDA

View Full Version : Cannot record to NAS; baffled by set up

leonskaja
15-02-15, 01:04
I am not much of a linux person and although I had things working at one point I now don't seem to manage it anymore. I am trying to set up my Solo2 to record to the NAS. I have mounted the NAS and the folder correctly using CIFS in Setup, Network. There is a green check mark right next to this location. I then go to Recording settings and that is where the trouble starts. All I can see under Default movoe location is /media/hdd/movie. This path has nothing whatsoever to do with my NAS and if I press enter to go to the "Select location" screen only this path is given. I cannot change it. When I try to record anything I get a message that the directory does not exist. What am I doing wrong?

pembo
15-02-15, 10:31
the recordings locations settings is a bit clunky from memory.
Press the 'menu' button to switch to the file list and you should hopefully be able to work it out from there.... you need to add a new location/bookmark

cactikid
15-02-15, 11:42
i was told not to use samba but to use nfs for my mounts as i kept on getting those same errors,try mounting with nfs.:D

leonskaja
27-02-15, 01:32
Thanks, I'll give NFS a try tomorrow. Is CIFS the same as Samba?

leonskaja
01-04-15, 00:36
I tried NFS, still no go. Can anyone give me a quick guide to how to setup the Solo2 to record to a NAS?

abu baniaz
01-04-15, 00:42
Are you able to play/view files on the NAS?

Have you set up bookmarks (links) to it?

leonskaja
01-04-15, 12:26
Thanks for replying. Do you mean can I access files from my NAS not using the Solo2? If so, yes. The NAS is fully operational and I can access the directory where recordings from the Solo2 used to be stored.

I do not know what you mean by your last question. As I wrote in my original post: "I have mounted the NAS and the folder correctly using CIFS in Setup, Network" and there is a green checkmark beside it.

leonskaja
01-04-15, 15:16
I installed the latest image. It made no difference. I have now spent the best part of two hours on this exasperating interface and it is not clear what it expects me to do. This is what I did:

Menu Network> Mounts Setup>Mount manager: I set up a mount called TV pointing to a folder on my NAS: /Diskstation/TV/ first I tried NFS but it does not even ask for a user name and password to access the NAS. Then I tried CFS and entered the username and password.

Menu Network> Default Movie Location: I don't seem to be able to change this. It keeps on pointing to /media/hdd/movie. I can delete the bookmark, but that does not help at all. This is the most exasperating thing about the set up. Where does this bookmark come from? Why can't I change it? What is the use of a default movie location if it cannot be altered? I cannot even go to the Parent directory.
I tried Timers Location: it points to the same /media/hdd/movie directory but this time it lists the media folder I created as TV. Deleting the old bookmark works but I cannot get to the TV folder.

Please help or point me to a location where it is explained how to set up my Solo2 (there is nothing about this in the manual).

abu baniaz
01-04-15, 15:27
When you enter your locations, pressing menu allows you to switch to file list. You can then add your bookmark. This will allow you to select the location.

I recall this being mentioned in one of the guide threads. Post links to guides you have followed.

leonskaja
02-04-15, 19:58
Thank you, that did the trick! (Why isn't this mentioned on the screen????? I wasted almost two days on this.)

s1m0nw
02-04-15, 20:13
Ahhh just realised why my network mounts werent working while reading this. Completely forgot to use network mount.

birdman
02-04-15, 21:09
first I tried NFS but it does not even ask for a user name and password to access the NAS.NFS doesn't use passwords - it works on trust between the systems. You'd need to set up anonymous access, or enable root access.

leonskaja
03-04-15, 09:03
That is indeed what I eventually figured out.

imish
26-04-15, 14:10
Did you end up using NFS or CIFS?