PDA

View Full Version : Vu+ Solo Red Light

Gav
13-02-15, 21:38
Tonight I had to move my solo so I could get access to the back of the tv. I removed the sat cable, hdmi & network cable without switching the box off at the mains first. I connected everything backup and turned it all off as i was going out. Came home and powered the box back on and now im stuck with the red light. Ive tried reflashing the box but its non responsive. It is a genuine reciever bought from the forum sponser. It was flashed with openvix-Apollo.073 a few months ago and had been working fine. Ive opened the box to check for any blown caps but cant see anything. Ive tried looking for any info on a red light fix for a genuine reciever, but all i can find is info on fixing a dead duo. Anyone got any ideas.

Thanks.

Gav.

Andy_Hazza
14-02-15, 08:57
You should never unplug anything while its still on, especially hdmi leads. Only thing I would suggest is to turn off at the mains and leave it turned off for an hr or two. Do you have a usb stick or external hdd plugged in? If so, unplug.

Larry-G
14-02-15, 14:14
You should never unplug anything while its still on, especially hdmi leads.

Same applies to LNB feeds, one stray spark and you could fry the LNB or the receivers tuners or both.

cactikid
14-02-15, 16:24
be surprised how many times thats mentioned and is ok on clone boxes:eek:try to power off with remote first and that should be whatever unit is on other end,no mention of usb sticks or ext hdd:confused::amen:

Gav
14-02-15, 16:47
Ive always powered off before removing anyting. The first time ive done it to save a few mins and the box fails. Its my own fault if its dead. I left the box off overnight and removed all the usbs as suggested. Still got the red light. Im gona check the C807 capasitor and swap it over in the off chance thats blew. The box was starting to heat up a bit over the past few months. If i cant get it sorted then it gives me an excuse to get a new box :)

Thanks for the replies. As always, very much appreciated.

Larry-G
14-02-15, 17:48
Ive always powered off before removing anyting. The first time ive done it to save a few mins and the box fails. Its my own fault if its dead. I left the box off overnight and removed all the usbs as suggested. Still got the red light. Im gona check the C807 capasitor and swap it over in the off chance thats blew.

Thanks for the replies. As always, very much appreciated.

That only really applies to the duo not the solo.

Sent from my iPad Air using Tapatalk

cactikid
14-02-15, 17:50
the solo has a reset on rear beside scart connector try that and see what happens,yep have/had a solo ,now replaced with tm nano se with more grunt now:thumbsup:

Gav
14-02-15, 19:01
The reset button does nothing. Im going to try flashing via serial cable on another pc. If it fails well its a lesson learned. :(

cactikid
14-02-15, 22:22
never known an original box to flash by serial cable,only clones,recheck what protocol or loader is needed before proceeding:eek:

Larry-G
14-02-15, 22:41
never known an original box to flash by serial cable,only clones,recheck what protocol or loader is needed before proceeding:eek:

The solo and duo can but they need a .NFI format image which no one produces any more so its going to be a three year old image at least, plus you need the software to flash the receive rbut thats easily sourced on Vu+'s site.

cactikid
14-02-15, 22:55
3 year old image,i hope its easily found not like the older non supported images now removed:D

Larry-G
14-02-15, 22:57
very easy.

http://archive.vuplus.com/image/2011/5.8/

Gav
15-02-15, 12:14
From what ive read i can flash the solo via serial with a zip file of any image using the vu+ utility. The latest version now reads zip files. I will try the nfi file and see if thats works. Ive also been trying to do it using a laptop with a usb serial adapter. Its not the most reliable method. Hopefully get access to a desktop pc later.

Thanks again for the help.

Gav.

Larry-G
15-02-15, 12:25
From what ive read i can flash the solo via serial with a zip file of any image using the vu+ utility. The latest version now reads zip files. I will try the nfi file and see if thats works. Ive also been trying to do it using a laptop with a usb serial adapter. Its not the most reliable method. Hopefully get access to a desktop pc later.

Thanks again for the help.

Gav.

Unless something has changed recently the Vu+ utility application for flashing via a serial port only works with .NFI format images and ALL image teams stopped producing those years ago, the last one ViX did was in the 1.xx series images nearly 4 years ago.

cactikid
15-02-15, 12:27
sometimes old skool is best,wonder what cable does one use is it a null modem cable db9 like for flashing those old cable boxes like starview and kryptview with cross over wire or straight wired serial cable?:)
wish all the best in getting it back running.

Larry-G
15-02-15, 12:28
Unless something has changed recently the Vu+ utility application for flashing via a serial port only works with .NFI format images and ALL image teams stopped producing those years ago, the last one ViX did was in the 1.xx series images nearly 4 years ago.

From what I can gather this is still the case, although ther newest version of Vu+ Util can supposedly read .zip files but the image inside ther .zip archive still has to be a .NFI image and only Vu+ them selves have images in this format these days.

Larry-G
15-02-15, 12:30
sometimes old skool is best

Last time I flashed a box by a RS232 null modem cable it took over 40 minutes (DM 7020)

cactikid
15-02-15, 12:42
and you loved every momemt of it lol:thumbsup:

Larry-G
15-02-15, 12:46
and you loved every momemt of it lol:thumbsup:

yeah so much so that the thing is in it's box on top of a wardrobe and has been for about 4 years.

Gav
26-02-15, 22:37
Just an update on my red light solo. I found 2 blown capacitors on the psu board. The box has been getting quite warm over the past few months. This would have caused the capacitors to dry up and fail, so i was told. I removed the psu board and asked a local tv repair company to replace the 2 blown capacitors. They did the job in under 5 min. Came home and put the box back together and it came back to life. The box also seems to be a lot more quicker to respond to the remote.

Thanks for all the help.

Also its good to see the site back up & running again. Well done to all involved in running a fantastic site.

Gav.