PDA

View Full Version : [VU+ Solo2] Tune failed error

matt007
09-02-15, 21:57
Hi about an hour or so into me using the box, I always get a tune failed error and can no longer view any channels until I reboot the system. I have only got the box a few days ago and this has been happening ever since. I have two tuners, both from my Sky dish if thats any useful.

cactikid
09-02-15, 22:19
try swapping feeds over as it might be a bad connection on one tuner:)

matt007
09-02-15, 22:48
try swapping feeds over as it might be a bad connection on one tuner:)

How do I do this?

cactikid
10-02-15, 00:45
2 sat feeds going to 2 tuners try swapping them over,i got that on my 1hr old tm nano as i pulled the box out to far and cable came out of f plug,have box powered off while doing it.:D

electrocop
10-02-15, 00:48
Just switch the two cables that are going to the sat inputs at the rear of the box - this will prove if the problem is external to the box (poor connection, faulty LNB etc) before looking for more complex causes.

Cactikid beat me to it

matt007
10-02-15, 01:02
Ive already tried that and still randomly get the tuner failed message like after an hour or so. This wasn't a problem on my Sky HD box

Andy_Hazza
10-02-15, 06:16
Tune failed is 99.9% related to cabling and f-connectors. To start with you could try cutting an inch or two off your cabling behind the receiver if you have any spare and then put some new f-connectors on and try that. If still same you would need to do same outside and snip a couple of inches off n new f-connectors and also make sure you use amalgamating tape to fully protect from weather etc.
That would be my first job before replacing the whole cabling.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

matt007
10-02-15, 11:11
Tune failed is 99.9% related to cabling and f-connectors. To start with you could try cutting an inch or two off your cabling behind the receiver if you have any spare and then put some new f-connectors on and try that. If still same you would need to do same outside and snip a couple of inches off n new f-connectors and also make sure you use amalgamating tape to fully protect from weather etc.
That would be my first job before replacing the whole cabling.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

So why did I never have this issue on my Sky HD box which used the same dish/cables?

Andy_Hazza
10-02-15, 11:21
Certain boxes are more sensitive (tuners) than others. I am going on experience. I have setup numerous receivers for my family and friends and issues with tune failed is most likely down to cabling/connectors etc. you will find most of the time when sky originally installed the cabling, especially outside wouldn't have used amalgamating tape which is essential to stop damp/rain perishing the cable/f-connectors join.

twol
10-02-15, 12:29
I would also check all the in-house connectors, as often when you are pulling/pushing box around inside units, it is easy to develop a weak connection.
As said, I would pull off all the F connectors and redo the end of the cable, taping the connectors to the cable after reconnection to ensure no movement later on.

If that doesn't fix it, check the alignment of the dish as although I hate to say it the Sky boxes often have older but frequently better tuners than the modern gear (... and before somebody jumps on me that is fact :) unfortunately.) You can use tools like Enigma Signal Meter on your Laptop, or Android/Windows phone to check signal levels (gives a voice readout)

matt007
10-02-15, 12:58
But my signal quality and strength is usually around 60-70%. This is considered enough for a good connection so why doesnt the Solo 2 find this adequete?

twol
10-02-15, 13:25
But my signal quality and strength is usually around 60-70%. This is considered enough for a good connection so why doesnt the Solo 2 find this adequete?

Maybe it does, you need to check all the basics first......... although (and I cannot remember my old UK reception figures), I get better figures than that for the UK FTA channels (with I accept a much bigger dish), but I am at the edge of fringe reception :)

matt007
10-02-15, 13:29
So the question then is, why do I get tuner failed error on signal quality and strength of 60-70%? Surely if the signal was the issue, the picture would not be the best. Also, why do I need to reboot the box to resume viewing again?

I will have a look at the basics likes ensuring connectors are fine, but I am just a bit baffled as to why it would randomly display a message and would not allow me to view anything unless I restarted

Andy_Hazza
10-02-15, 14:03
So the question then is, why do I get tuner failed error on signal quality and strength of 60-70%? Surely if the signal was the issue, the picture would not be the best. Also, why do I need to reboot the box to resume viewing again?

I will have a look at the basics likes ensuring connectors are fine, but I am just a bit baffled as to why it would randomly display a message and would not allow me to view anything unless I restarted

You won't necessarily get tune failed on all the channels, just the weaker ones. You need to do the basics like we have mentioned and see where that takes you.

matt007
11-02-15, 12:30
You won't necessarily get tune failed on all the channels, just the weaker ones. You need to do the basics like we have mentioned and see where that takes you.

Ive looked on the dish and the cables look a little old and seem to have gone hard over the years (i.e they seem less flexible than they used to be). Plus there is no weatherproof tape. Also, the LNB seems a little wobbly, its not fully secure. Any idea how I can secure it?

In regards to the error on my box, no matter what channel i put it on, the error doesnt go. This includes FTV channels. Hence I have to always restart.

bbbuk
11-02-15, 13:24
Where i'm based, FTA channels 1-5 (non HD channels) are 100%.

As mentioned earlier by others, different tuners can be more sensitive than others. Your dish could also be ever so slightly misaligned.

Do you still have a $ky box around to check quality of say BBC 1 (not the HD version) and then with your Solo2 connected check the quality on the same channel again.

matt007
11-02-15, 14:09
Where i'm based, FTA channels 1-5 (non HD channels) are 100%.

As mentioned earlier by others, different tuners can be more sensitive than others. Your dish could also be ever so slightly misaligned.

Do you still have a $ky box around to check quality of say BBC 1 (not the HD version) and then with your Solo2 connected check the quality on the same channel again.

Ive had a look already. The channel appears more clearer on my solo2 even though the signal strength and quality is the same on both boxes. Its just that my sky box doesnt stop randomly with a tune error

bbbuk
11-02-15, 15:12
Ive had a look already. The channel appears more clearer on my solo2 even though the signal strength and quality is the same on both boxes. Its just that my sky box doesnt stop randomly with a tune errorAs they're both the same then that does just look like a more sensitive tuner issue.

You could try replacing cable with new high quality cable with new F connectors and weatherproof it best you can.
Try realigning dish as dish may have moved slightly over time. If a neighbour has Sky what is their signal strength as both yours and neighbours should be around the same.
Replace LNB

UPDATE:

However, if you think it's a solo2 problem (and not just sensitive tuner issue) then can you try your solo2 box at a friend/family instead where they get a better signal and see if solo2 box is okay.

bbbuk
11-02-15, 15:30
So the question then is, why do I get tuner failed error on signal quality and strength of 60-70%? Surely if the signal was the issue, the picture would not be the best. Also, why do I need to reboot the box to resume viewing again?If you're referring to the old days of analogue where if quality wasn't great it would deteriorate over a longer period as the signal quality would deteriorate so you were given some kind of warning.

With advent of digital, the picture can look great then suddenly have glitches (pic freeze, etc) as pic quality drop slightly then be okay again as signal quality goes up slightly. This would happen more so on the lower end of acceptable signal quality which it looks like yours is tbh.

Larry-G
11-02-15, 17:13
So why did I never have this issue on my Sky HD box which used the same dish/cables?

Very likely because the sky box was left alone to do its thing, once you start moving receivers around and pulling on cables you tend to get issues with f-plugs coming loose or cables getting twisted.

Sent from my iPad Air using Tapatalk

rossi2000
11-02-15, 17:18
why do people use those crap screw on f-connectors!

compression-fs are the way forward.

no worry about water ingress or the connector coming loose

Larry-G
11-02-15, 17:42
Fitted correctly screw on f-plugs are perfectly fine, all the ones I have fitted have lasted 10 years plus and never had to be refitted or messed with once fitted.

matt007
11-02-15, 21:26
Very likely because the sky box was left alone to do its thing, once you start moving receivers around and pulling on cables you tend to get issues with f-plugs coming loose or cables getting twisted.

Ive put my sky box back on for the day today and didnt once get a signal problem

bbbuk
11-02-15, 23:03
You said that 60-70% is good enough but personally I think it does border on line of having problems with low quality.

The only way you would know for sure if it's just solo2 is more sensitive about low signal quality is can you check with a neighbour next door or someone else in street and see what their signal quality is like. For sake of easy reference always compare same channel as some channels may be higher/lower than some others depending on satellite/transponder they are on.

If neighbours is a lot stronger then you know that yours is bordering on the low.

For reference what percentage is your strongest signal (that you have noticed) and what is your weakest?

UPDATE:

I will say though when I moved into our house, the old satellite was providing about 80-90% on BBC1 (I generally always use a FTA channel like that for comparison). I got an offer of free sky tv for 1 year if I moved over to them and bring my line and broadband over as well (from o2) so I took it. However, as I was getting free sky for a year, I removed the satellite dish/LNB but kept cables (couldn't be bothered removing them all and instead covered the cable ends to prevent water ingress).

Now with a new satellite and LNB (I believe the satellite dish is around the same size as old one but the LNB was newer), I now get 99-100%.

This may have been down to combination of new dish/LNB and/or simple fact is that Sky aligned the dish. I will never know for sure.

matt007
12-02-15, 00:34
Thanks for all the help guys. I will try all suggestions and post back here with an update