PDA

View Full Version : Difference between USB Stick and USB Disk

DrProzac
06-12-10, 13:51
What is the difference between a USB Stick and a USB Disk.
I had trouble getting my picons and PTS Working as I was pointing at USB Disk and not USB Stick.

I got all confuzed!:confused:

silverfox0786
06-12-10, 15:00
USB Disk is the USB HDD plugged into the DUO/SOLO

USB Stick is the liitle pendrive that plugs into the DUO/SOLO [AKA USB Microdrive/Flash]

USB Stick is better as it has faster transfer times and does not need to wakeup

pooface
06-12-10, 15:58
USB Disk is the USB HDD plugged into the DUO/SOLO

USB Stick is the liitle pendrive that plugs into the DUO/SOLO [AKA USB Microdrive/Flash]

USB Stick is better as it has faster transfer times and does not need to wakeup

As he says, with just one little amendment...

The usb stick is not always a faster transfer, but the seek times (time it takes to read the storage device) is much slower on a usb drive compared to a usb stick... The transfer times are dependant upon the actual stick/drive you have...

silverfox0786
06-12-10, 16:00
As he says, with just one little amendment...

The usb stick is not always a faster transfer, but the seek times (time it takes to read the storage device) is much slower on a usb drive compared to a usb stick... The transfer times are dependant upon the actual stick/drive you have...

sorry poo thats what i ment faster seek times get my termanology mixed up

DrProzac
07-12-10, 18:41
Thanks.

I know physically what they are, but why does the Image think I have both plugged in? Or have my mount points gone astray somewhere?
In Device manager I only have USB Stick and HDD (which is correct)

But when my Picons were selected I had the option to select USB Disk, USB Stick or HDD (as well as internal)

silverfox0786
07-12-10, 18:45
Thanks.

I know physically what they are, but why does the Image think I have both plugged in? Or have my mount points gone astray somewhere?
In Device manager I only have USB Stick and HDD (which is correct)

But when my Picons were selected I had the option to select USB Disk, USB Stick or HDD (as well as internal)

looks like they gona astray mate

underzone
07-12-10, 19:10
The mount point for your usb pen drive should be mnt/usb which corresponds to 'usb stick' in some menus. However it may show up initially as mnt/sdb1 in device manager (vix menu). Just add the correct mountpoint in the menu mate.