PDA

View Full Version : [ViX_Misc] EPG Save Location

avi68
02-02-15, 21:57
Hi all,

I have a question regarding saving the epg data. Is it possible to save the epg data directly to flash instead of buying a usb stick? I ask this because I have made a purchase of the new technomate TM-Nano SE and I'm not sure if i have to buy a usb stick in order to get the epg data to save.

I also have a vu plus duo, but that has a hard drive, so its automatically saved to that.

Thanks in advance!:)

abu baniaz
02-02-15, 22:02
Its possible but not recommended as data can get too large and cause receiver to crash.

It's actually the first option.

avi68
02-02-15, 22:10
Its possible but not recommended as data can get too large and cause receiver to crash.

It's actually the first option.

Thankyou for your answer. But will it actually fill up the whole 256mb of flash? Because on my duo it says the total size is 70mb.

cactikid
02-02-15, 22:49
play it safe and i use a kingston micro 8gb micro usb to save on as i learnt the hard way when my duo failed to reboot i needed to flash it again:D

nsw9154
03-02-15, 01:38
Is that Apollo 13 or Apollo 113 or the latest build Apollo131 as Apollo 13 is a very Old build and their have been a lot of Upgrades to the Image since that was released

Larry-G
03-02-15, 01:42
Thankyou for your answer. But will it actually fill up the whole 256mb of flash? Because on my duo it says the total size is 70mb.

EPG data is live data and can become corrupted very very easily, if this happens it will fill your entire flash in no time flat, it would be best to use a USB stick or internal HDD for your EPG, plus you really should have a USB stick handy just incase you need to reflash the receiver for any reason.

judge
03-02-15, 01:47
Extremely rarely, but will depend on EPG sources used.
Tempted to use EPG on internal flash myself on current gen boxes with enough flash memory.
Safer to write daily to HDD or USB though.

judge
03-02-15, 02:00
EPG data is live data and can become corrupted very very easily, if this happens it will fill your entire flash in no time flat,
Can't remember the last time I had EPG corrupt when set-up correctly.

it would be best to use a USB stick or internal HDD for your EPG, plus you really should have a USB stick handy just incase you need to reflash the receiver for any reason.
Yes, completely agree.
However most current gen boxes have enough flash to compensate for a crazy EPG corruption that might fill up flash.
It's the daily write to flash that could but shouldn't effect flash memory writes.

I currently don't have a HDD in a TM-Nano 2 Super, think I'll try out EPG daily to flash memory to try it out for a while...

Ant1942
03-02-15, 11:19
Tempted to use EPG on internal flash myself on current gen boxes with enough flash memory.
I would recommend USB rather than HDD.
When I tried saving to HDD I found it sluggish to populate when selecting EPG because
the HDD had to spin up first before it could be read.

abu baniaz
03-02-15, 17:59
EPG is not read on the fly. It is read at system startup and kept in RAM. Any onstream data is added to what is in RAM and than written back on a proper shut down/restart.

avi68
03-02-15, 21:36
Is that Apollo 13 or Apollo 113 or the latest build Apollo131 as Apollo 13 is a very Old build and their have been a lot of Upgrades to the Image since that was released

Sorry it's supposed to be 131. I'm sure I typed it in, :o

avi68
03-02-15, 21:37
EPG data is live data and can become corrupted very very easily, if this happens it will fill your entire flash in no time flat, it would be best to use a USB stick or internal HDD for your EPG, plus you really should have a USB stick handy just incase you need to reflash the receiver for any reason.

Ok Thankyou for your explanation. Usb it is then:thumbsup:

avi68
03-02-15, 21:39

I only use opentv Sky uk.
This is exactly how I feel, I'm so tempted to try it but it's not worth the risk as many have suggested on here.

avi68
03-02-15, 21:40
Can't remember the last time I had EPG corrupt when set-up correctly.

Yes, completely agree.
However most current gen boxes have enough flash to compensate for a crazy EPG corruption that might fill up flash.
It's the daily write to flash that could but shouldn't effect flash memory writes.

I currently don't have a HDD in a TM-Nano 2 Super, think I'll try out EPG daily to flash memory to try it out for a while...

Judge, if you do try it can you update me with the result. ;)

Larry-G
03-02-15, 22:15
I would recommend USB rather than HDD.
When I tried saving to HDD I found it sluggish to populate when selecting EPG because
the HDD had to spin up first before it could be read.

Thats what happens when picons are saved to a HDD not the EPG, all of my receivers have their EPG's saved to their respective internal HDD's and none give me any issues.

judge
11-02-15, 02:09
Judge, if you do try it can you update me with the result. ;)
TM-Nano 2 Super still updating CrossEPG/OpenTV providers/Sky UK OpenTV to flash daily without any issues.
Only been a week so far though, so still no idea of long term EPG to flash downloads.

avi68
11-02-15, 19:26
TM-Nano 2 Super still updating CrossEPG/OpenTV providers/Sky UK OpenTV to flash daily without any issues.
Only been a week so far though, so still no idea of long term EPG to flash downloads.
That sounds good.
Thanks for the update mate :thumbsup:

bbbuk
04-04-15, 14:33
Only been a week so far though, so still no idea of long term EPG to flash downloads.Can I ask @Judge how you're getting on with this test of saving EPG to flash?

I'm thinking of doing it myself as I have over 90mb free of my solo2 flash.

cactikid
04-04-15, 15:06
i aint trying it :D,i did do it on my duo and end up reflashing box after a short time and box got slower and would not boot up,i learned about a usb thingy for epg and never looked back.:thumbsup:

bbbuk
04-04-15, 16:40
i aint trying it :D,i did do it on my duo and end up reflashing box after a short time and box got slower...A duo has half flash than a solo2 so I can imagine it would have been cutting it close to have epg on flash.

Looking at my crossepg folder and epg file, they come to just under 20mb (total). This, in theory, would leave about 70mb spare.

cactikid
04-04-15, 16:46
but what about the other stuff people cram on their boxes would that not decrease mb:confused:

well used to the duo with spinning vix lol,lost my solo2 somewhere in house moving stuff;)

Huevos
04-04-15, 17:19
Don't put epg.dat in the flash. Put it on USB or HDD. EPG data is held in the RAM so it only is read on boot up and shut down.

bbbuk
04-04-15, 21:54
Don't put epg.dat in the flash. Put it on USB or HDD. EPG data is held in the RAM so it only is read on boot up and shut down.I thought EPG data, regardless of where it was stored (nand flash or HDD/USB), is written to (ie loaded into) memory upon startup and saved back to originating source upon close down.

NAND flash can be written to, and is quicker than, likes of USB/HDD. It's the available space that is most likely problem of storing epg on nand flash.

I would like to think, nowadays, epg data can be written to some modern boxes like solo2 that have large flash and ram memory.

Not sure of specs of TM nano 2 (that @judge is testing it on), but I would have thought they would be similar to, if not exactly same, as that of solo2.

judge
04-04-15, 22:21
Can I ask @Judge how you're getting on with this test of saving EPG to flash?

I'm thinking of doing it myself as I have over 90mb free of my solo2 flash.

I only tried it for about 3 weeks & had absolutely no issues.
If you have a HDD or USB attached, I'd use them first. Still no idea how well writing to flash daily would work long term.

birdman
04-04-15, 23:52
I thought EPG data, regardless of where it was stored (nand flash or HDD/USB), is written to (ie loaded into) memory upon startup and saved back to originating source upon close down.Well, my epg.dat file, which is on USB, is modified when the box starts up, as well. (At leats it is according to the file-system timestamp).

NAND flash can be written to, and is quicker than, likes of USB/HDD.No - it's actually much slower than HDD, and probably slower than USB (depending on what you have at the other end of the USB bus).

See http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?44685-swapfile-not-activating&p=348069#post348069 for a very basic speed test result.

It's the available space that is most likely problem of storing epg on nand flash.If the task involved a lot of/continuous writing (not applicable here) then there is also the issue of wearing out the non-replaceable NVRAM. A USB stick is cheap.

bbbuk
05-04-15, 09:04
Good point, I never thought of that. It could potentially wear the nand flash sooner due to constant read/write and if I remember correctly nand doesn't support ramdom access as such.

I will stick with other forms for storing epg data.