PDA

View Full Version : Recommend a replacement for my old VU+ Duo

couchpotato
01-02-15, 17:11
Any recommendations appreciate for a newer receiver with similar spec.

Thanks

goosegog
01-02-15, 17:39
im thinking of upgrading my duo this week too,ive also had an ultimo in the past,im stuck between solo 2 and duo 2 but there a little more cash than the duo,depends on the money youre willing to spend on your new reciever.
the newer technomates seem good value for money and are around the same price range as a new duo

Andy_Hazza
01-02-15, 20:05
I would go with the Solo2 mate, a fantastic receiver.

nsw9154
01-02-15, 21:10
The Gigablue Quad Plus is also worth a look, I have been pleasantly surprised since I purchased mine, also take a look at the LX3 and Mut@nt HD2400 they are very good receivers as well and should last you a long time :)

pz8l8t
02-02-15, 00:24
What's the reason behind wanting to change from the duo?

cactikid
02-02-15, 00:27
duo still works but not as fast as the solo2 which is newer,and in turn newer box will replace the solo2:confused::D

judge
02-02-15, 00:52
Solo2 is a perfect replacement for the original Duo.
Maybe worth thinking about other requirements though, extra tuners needed any time soon? If not, Solo2 will suit your needs well.

Majestickt
03-02-15, 17:28
Hi everyone, not sure if I am posting in the right section so apologies where necessary. I am looking to get away from my sly subscription so would love it if someone could recommend a good receiver. My needs:
1) Record 2 channels while watching another so probably a triple tuner at minimum
2) Enigma2 as I would love a proper EPG
3) Is it necessary to get a dvd-c/t/t2 tuner if I get sat reception?... Intent is to get a 80cm dish in the future.

my pick so far is the Golden Interstar LX3 or the vu+ duo2. Please comment as I have even been calling World of Satellite for a couple days now for some advice but no one answers the phone. Any input is appreciated.

Larry-G
03-02-15, 17:43
Just remember that without a subscription you won't be able to view pay TV channels. A good box to go for as pointed out above would be the solo2 but there are loads more out there that can do the same for less cost. As for dvbc/t that's only useful if you want to receive channels via. A TV ariel or cable.

Sent from my iPad Air using Tapatalk

Walt
03-02-15, 18:15
Hi everyone, not sure if I am posting in the right section so apologies where necessary. I am looking to get away from my sly subscription so would love it if someone could recommend a good receiver. My needs:
1) Record 2 channels while watching another so probably a triple tuner at minimum
3) Is it necessary to get a dvd-c/t/t2 tuner if I get sat reception?... Intent is to get a 80cm dish in the future.

my pick so far is the Golden Interstar LX3 or the vu+ duo2. Please comment as I have even been calling World of Satellite for a couple days now for some advice but no one answers the phone. Any input is appreciated.
They never answer the phone in my experience. Call gold wafers, customer service is a lot better. You'll get lots of free to air channels if you motorise an 80cm dish.
With the Duo2 being so cheap now I'd go for that, I have one and it's amazing.

Majestickt
03-02-15, 18:26
Thanks @ pheonix but I've noticed that the solo2 only has 2 fixed dvd-s/s2 tuner which limits the amount of channels I can record/watch at the same time

Majestickt
03-02-15, 18:28
And thanks Walt for that recommendation, I'll check out gold wafers

Majestickt
03-02-15, 18:29
Anyone has any experience with the GI Expeed lx3?

nsw9154
03-02-15, 18:56
The LX3 is a very good receiver and well worth considering

Larry-G
03-02-15, 19:43
They never answer the phone in my experience. Call gold wafers, customer service is a lot better. You'll get lots of free to air channels if you motorise an 80cm dish.
With the Duo2 being so cheap now I'd go for that, I have one and it's amazing.

He may not be in his office at the time the phone rang, some people have real jobs to get on with and can be sat behind a desk all day long.

Larry-G
03-02-15, 19:45
Thanks @ pheonix but I've noticed that the solo2 only has 2 fixed dvd-s/s2 tuner which limits the amount of channels I can record/watch at the same time

Exactly how many channels are you expecting to be watching and recording at the same time ?. I tend to find on almost all occasions for sky uk two is more than sufficient, unless you record the nightly soaps then you may need three to keep things ticking along and the other half happy. LOL.

Majestickt
03-02-15, 20:21
Most times the other half has two things recording when I need to watch something else so you can see the need there.

Walt
03-02-15, 20:30
He may not be in his office at the time the phone rang, some people have real jobs to get on with and can be sat behind a desk all day long.
If you're going to run a business and you can't be in the office then return calls and/or reply to emails. I called 5-7 times on various days with no answer and emailed with no answer. Called gold wafers and he answered straight away. Guess who got my money?

world-of-satellite.co.uk
03-02-15, 20:32

Drop us a PM with all your questions here or drop us an email here http://www.world-of-satellite.co.uk/index.php?route=information/contact

Last few days have been particularly busy, we do not ignore the phone on purpose, but after a huge amount of phone calls daily from timewasters looking for card sharing advice (we do not offer any support of that type) the phone does tend to take a back seat.

Most emails are answered very quick and is the fastest means of contact.

Emails referring to anykind of illegal activity are ignored.

@ Walt, I think you find G Wafers are drops shippers, so suppose they could spend all day on the phone, we hold a vast amount of stock and ship ourselves direct to our customers, therefore if any customer has a warranty issue it's dealt with directly with us, only on the odd rare occasion do we have to rely on suppliers. We prefer documented customer support via email. If a customer needs urgent support we have no problem phoning back if we receive an email regards an issue.

Majestickt
03-02-15, 20:36
Thanks nsw9154 I did read on some of your earlier posts that there were driver issues with menu button and some overheating on the tuners...has these issues been resolved

world-of-satellite.co.uk
03-02-15, 20:42
If you're going to run a business and you can't be in the office then return calls and/or reply to emails. I called 5-7 times on various days with no answer and emailed with no answer. Called gold wafers and he answered straight away. Guess who got my money?

Sorry we got it wrong for you, 99% of the time we don't. End of day we're only human and occasionally things do go wrong. Drop us a PM with your email address, we'll search through our email and try find out why it wasn't replied to.

Majestickt
03-02-15, 20:52
And how does it compare to the vu+ duo2?

nsw9154
03-02-15, 20:53
Hi Majestickt the driver issues where sorted out a long time ago and the tuners do not seem to get as hot and my LX3 is currently sitting on top of the Duo2 and the temps are only 35c on the LX3 just tested with a Lazar infer red thermometer

it is just as good as the Duo2 in my opinion as I have them both so can confirm by using them both

couchpotato
03-02-15, 20:53
I am an old customer of WOS and will certainly shop from them again...........recommended

cactikid
03-02-15, 21:53
how old :confused::D decisions to be made:confused::confused:too many boxes:thumbsup:

nsw9154
03-02-15, 22:05
I have purchased all my receivers from WOS except my very 1st Solo2 but after the hassle of waiting 2 weeks for it to arrive from Finland and the extra postage I ended up saving a Pavarotti I should have gone to WOS at first I would have had it the next day :rolleyes:

Larry-G
03-02-15, 22:45
Personally I would not buy STB from any one but WoS.

I bought a new CCTV system from him over Christmas when some scumbag nobbled my mams car for it's petrol and it arrived the next day as promised. not only that but when I had a issue with one of the cameras he went out of his way to arrange for the uk distributor to get in touch with me to recall the camera and see what was up with it. all in all the service was exceptional as it always is.