PDA

View Full Version : Netgear N105 Router as a repeater

Sanjhere
01-02-15, 15:51
Hello All,

Does anyone know if a Netgear N105 router can be used as a repeater?

I need to try and set up another router upstairs to eliminate a WiFi blind spot. I would rather not use home plugs and cannot use an Ethernet cable from downstairs to upstairs an it will be impossible with flooring and carpets down.

I know there is third party software/firmware that you can flash to the router, dd-wrt, but I can't see if that software is supported for this router.

I know there is someone out there on this Forum who has the answer . . .

Thank you.
Sanj

Andy_Hazza
02-02-15, 20:42
Could you not drill out n back in again with hard wired ethernet cabling?

hilly
02-02-15, 21:39
Shame you don't want home plugs as I have a one that also transmit s a wifi signal .

Sanjhere
02-02-15, 23:01
Hello Andy and Hilly,

Thank you for your replies.

It would be difficult to pass an Ethernet cable through 5 walls, I wanted to avoid that. I am already using two sets of homeplugs for Smart TV's that did not have WiFi cards installed (please see my other threads), so I was hoping to turn a redundant router into a repeater or wireless bridge.

I think even after I have achieved what I want to achieve, the signal might not be that great anyway!

I shall have to reconsider my options

abu baniaz
02-02-15, 23:47
Is running cables externally viable?

delboy13
03-02-15, 00:38
might be able to i setup a different router for same problem, that had a setting on it to use as access point. trying to setup a netgear wnr834 at the minute for someone, had it working at mine but not at his yet

Sanjhere
03-02-15, 10:42
Hello Abu,
It's not viable running a cable internally or externally. The cable would have to be run over the roof externally. Internally there are about 4 walls. I might have to move the router altogether and try and get the CCTV Ethernet cable through 2 walls. The CCTV cable is what is stopping me moving the router.

Hello Delboy,
It works at yours but not your friends? Something to do with the IP settings?

twol
03-02-15, 12:28
Hello Andy and Hilly,

Thank you for your replies.

It would be difficult to pass an Ethernet cable through 5 walls, I wanted to avoid that. I am already using two sets of homeplugs for Smart TV's that did not have WiFi cards installed (please see my other threads), so I was hoping to turn a redundant router into a repeater or wireless bridge.

I think even after I have achieved what I want to achieve, the signal might not be that great anyway!

I shall have to reconsider my options
I also thought that would be impossible until I moved to Bavaria and concrete walls - now going through several very thick concrete walls is childs play.... but it does take a good long drill bit and a proper power drill (preferably German eg Bosch :) ) for going through concrete.

I used to break out into sweat just thinking about it - but here it's just normal :)
Helps also to have thze tools for pulling cables through the walls!

Sanjhere
03-02-15, 13:58
Hello Twol,

My major problem is convincing the wife that the holes need to be drilled, there is no other option! : )

delboy13
04-02-15, 00:34
yes ip settings on router will change tommorow and take to mates to try

Silent
04-02-15, 09:34
Neither DD-WRT or Tomato support it by the looks of it.

Sanjhere
04-02-15, 18:44
Hello Delboy,
Are you going to set the IP on the router as that is what I have been been advised to do.

Hello Silent,

I checked the dd-wrt website, it does not support this router, I think the ram is too small. Thank you for confirming it.

Now for Plan B . . . .

Someone remind me what Plan B was please . . . .

dude1
19-03-15, 01:41
Plan B: Find a different spare router or back to another set of homeplugs ;)

delboy13
19-03-15, 12:56
setup netgear for mate and working no issues