PDA

View Full Version : Newbie Help

danieltoland
28-01-15, 22:15
Hi guys, as the title suggests i'm a newbie here and to this sort of thing, so any help would be greatly appreciated.

I've been looking at the Technomate TM-Twin-OE and wanting some advice regards to the box, and setting up etc.

For obvious reasons, i won't say what i may be using this box for.

Is it easy enough to put an image on these boxes, and which image do people recommend? Im looking at buying from world of satellite, and although they put the image on, i would be wanting to make sure if the box had crashed or didn't boot that i'm able to get it running again.

I would be looking at using certain things like on demand services, how easy are these to add on? And i've also been told about things like TS media (hope i'm not breaking any rules by mentioning this) again how easy is this to set up?

I also assume a 7 day epg is on these boxes when images are installed?

Thanks in advance for the info, i'm clueless at the moment, but will learn fast:).

abu baniaz
28-01-15, 23:18
I would not buy the 405 Mhz range of receivers. For slightly more, get the 1300Mhz range.

The 3T Combo/Nano 2 Super if you want a Technomate will be fine.

Walt
29-01-15, 01:38
I would always recommend the vu+ range. Superb build quality and nice remote too.

Rayne
29-01-15, 10:41
Hi Daniel, welcome to the forums.

I would definitely recommend you go for a Technomate 1300mhz range of receivers - they are pretty fast and do a great job

Regarding the image - most people on these forums are advocates of OpenVix images - that's the one I used when I joint- and it is very easy to use.. Crashes are rare; but in the unlikely event of a crash - reinstalling the image is easy - just plug in a USB and reboot your STB.

7-day epg is available on the openvix images and in my opinion one of the best EPGs available.

Streaming is a great tool - and there are a number of mobile apps and a web application that will allow you to stream to other devices at home.

I'm new here myself - so hopefully some of the more tenured members can validate what I've said. They are all a friendly bunch and happy to help where needed.

danieltoland
30-01-15, 12:54
Thanks guys! The other boxes seem much better for the extra few quid, so will probably go for the 3T combo.

Regards to hdd, i have an old sky box with a 2tb hdd in it, i assume i can just switch this over to it, and the box picks it up from there when plugged in?

Also, regards to the plug ins such as tsmedia, and on demand services like iplayer, 4od and 5od, are these easy to find on here and install?

Again thanks for the help.

Andy_Hazza
30-01-15, 17:56
You would need to initialise the hard drive to ext4 format then mount it and should be all ok. You will lose all the data on the drive.
As for onDemand stuff you will be struggling with BBC iPlayer, 4OD etc. you are best getting something like a Roku smart box etc.

danieltoland
30-01-15, 19:53
Thanks Andy! I think i can live without the od anyway, if the wife wants to watch it she can start up the laptop or tablet instead lol!