PDA

View Full Version : Cant start VuDuo using Remote Control despite batteries being fine and STB seeing RC

theo
28-01-15, 17:23
If my VU+Duo has been off (ie. on standby) for a number of hours I am unable to restart it using the remote control. When I press the remote control 'On' button the Vu+ seems to notice (ie. the liitle green light in the Box lights up) but nothing happens. I have to switch the box off at the wall and then on again to get it to start. Once it has started it's fine, it's only the next day when it's been off for a few hours that the probem reccurs.

The batteries in the remote control are fine. Is there a [flat] internal battery in the box which is maybe causing this problem?

pembo
28-01-15, 18:12
is it possible to do with the remote code needing re-setting to the duo for whatever reason.

theo
28-01-15, 20:22
The Remote Control works with the Duo 99% of the time. It simply wont start the Duo when the box is cold. I suppose I could try resetting the remote, never done this before, any idea how I do this?

pembo
28-01-15, 20:37
Sorry - didn't read that bit - I'd be surprised if re-setting the code would change anything then...

Andy_Hazza
29-01-15, 00:16
Are you able to turn the box on via webif from standby

Andy_Hazza
29-01-15, 00:18
As you have an old receiver to, have you got a swap file setup on your Duo?

theo
29-01-15, 14:39
Are you able to turn the box on via webif from standby

I can start my box from the computer, just did it (I think this is what you mean by webif?) Whether I can start it from FROM COLD from computer is a different matter. I will find out in due course

As you have an old receiver to, have you got a swap file setup on your Duo?

I'm not sure what you mean by 'swap file setup'. Can you tell me what this is.

Andy_Hazza
29-01-15, 14:44
The Vu+ Duo along with Vu+ Solo lack memory and to compensate for this you can setup a swap file on the hard drive. To do this, do the following;
Blue Button, ViX, Swap manager, blue button to create, go with the 256mb option on your hdd. After a few minutes, you'll see your swap place n your hdd location etc at the top, then press your yellow button then finish off by pressing the green button to activate it.

theo
29-01-15, 15:10
The Vu+ Duo along with Vu+ Solo lack memory and to compensate for this you can setup a swap file on the hard drive. To do this, do the following;
Blue Button, ViX, Swap manager, blue button to create, go with the 256mb option on your hdd. After a few minutes, you'll see your swap place n your hdd location etc at the top, then press your yellow button then finish off by pressing the green button to activate it.

Thanks for that Andy. Ive set swap manager to run at start-up.

Ive now got to test STB from cold. That rules out doing anything more today, will test tomorrow morning

p.s. Bit surprised when you said my STB was old. (How much do I know!). Whats the box to go for nowadays? Similar or better functionality, better performance and good support is what I guess I want.

Andy_Hazza
29-01-15, 15:15
The Duo is a good box still but lacks the processor/memory of newer boxes. If you wanted to stick with the Vu+ range I would go for the Vu+ Solo2, a fantastic receiver. If not then you could look at the Mut@nt HD2400 or the Technomate 3T Combo.

theo
29-01-15, 16:16
The Duo is a good box still but lacks the processor/memory of newer boxes. If you wanted to stick with the Vu+ range I would go for the Vu+ Solo2, a fantastic receiver. If not then you could look at the Mut@nt HD2400 or the Technomate 3T Combo.

Have had a quick look. Mutant seems good but 4 tuners is overkill for me, and support seems to be inferior to the Vu+ series. Everyone saying good things about the Vu+ Solo2 and was going to go for it. Then I saw the Vu+Duo2. It's more expensive so I guess it's better, but i'm not sure why it's better.

I do like to be able to record one channel while watching another channel at times. I get the impression you cant do this with the Solo

Could you make a comment on this.

rossi2000
29-01-15, 16:27
and support seems to be inferior to the Vu+ series.

why?

theo
29-01-15, 17:21
and support seems to be inferior to the Vu+ series.

why?

On this forum Mutant discussion has 41 threads and 337 posts, the Vu+ series has 8,760 threads and 72,140 posts. When you are an incompetent like me it's great to have such an active forum. I know in the other sense they are both well-supported eg. by Vix and the like.

rossi2000
29-01-15, 17:27
the vu are alot older than mutants
i wouldnt go off those stats at all.

nsw9154
29-01-15, 17:44
The Solo has a Single tuner, but the Solo2 has 2 fixed tuners and has a faster processor, and is far superior to the old Duo
But the Duo2 has the capability's to fit 2 twin tuners or 2 Single tuners

The Mut@nt is a very good receiver and with it's 4 separate plug-able tuners is a very versatile receiver,and you can have just 2 fitted if you want then add more later, and like rossi mentions the specs are much better and it is super quick, I love mine and would never get rid of it

Andy_Hazza
29-01-15, 18:17
Have had a quick look. Mutant seems good but 4 tuners is overkill for me, and support seems to be inferior to the Vu+ series. Everyone saying good things about the Vu+ Solo2 and was going to go for it. Then I saw the Vu+Duo2. It's more expensive so I guess it's better, but i'm not sure why it's better.

I do like to be able to record one channel while watching another channel at times. I get the impression you cant do this with the Solo

Could you make a comment on this.

Like Rossi says, Mut@nt is a new generation, whereas Vu+ have been around a while, so don't be put off by Mut@nt at all, this is going to be my next box. I've had a Vu+ Duo2 and as much as I liked it, the dual screen was a toy to start with but soon got bored of it and much preferred my Vu+ Solo2 to the Duo2. You can't go wrong with either a Solo2 or a Mut@nt, but for future proof and a box to have for a good few years n if you have the pennies to buy one then certainly consider the Mut@ant HD2400, looks a stunning piece of kit!! Norm can confirm that.

theo
30-01-15, 11:23

This did the trick. My STB is starting from cold now. Many, many thanks

Andy_Hazza
30-01-15, 11:25
Ur welcome Theo, glad swapfile sorted it for you, I knew it would. [emoji4]