PDA

View Full Version : Technomate TM-5402 HD M3 MK3 vs. Vu+ Zero

stevenjonas
25-01-15, 18:46
I know these are a bit like comparing chalk & cheese, but I'm looking to replace my old Technomate SD satellite receiver with an HD one. I'm not looking for anything fancy. We only look at free to view channels. We have 3 feeds: Astra 2 (for the English Freesat channels), Hotbird (for the Italian channels) & a 3rd one (pathetic I know, but I can't even remember which satellite it's aimed at - for the German, Swiss & Austrian channels). The feeds from the 3 LNBs are combined in to one feed in a switch & the one feed goes in to the receiver (which detects all 3 satellites). The intention is for the feed from the receiver to go in to the TV through an HDMI lead.

I don't want to spend much more than £100 & preferably less.

These 2 receivers seem to fit the bill.

Any advice much appreciated.:confused:

abu baniaz
25-01-15, 19:00
I'd prefer a Linux receiver to the closed source one.

You can add the TM Nano-SE and Ixuss Zero to list of options.

http://www.world-of-satellite.co.uk/Medialink/Medialink-Ixuss-Zero
http://www.world-of-satellite.co.uk/Technomate/Technomate-TM-Nano-SE

stevenjonas
25-01-15, 19:44
Am I right that the Ixuss Zero has no external IR sensor?

stevenjonas
27-01-15, 13:14
I give up!
I've been trying to compare the TM Nano-SE with the Vu+ Zero.
Technically they seem almost identical.
As a complete numpty when it comes to Linux receivers, I want to start off with a plug & play package.
Anyone any views, please?

Andy_Hazza
27-01-15, 13:31
Vu+ Zero, Medialink Ixuss-Zero or the TM Nano-SE would fit the price range you are after, and these receivers are all supported by the best image makers, OpenViX. You have the beauty of the built in ABM (ViX's very own channel maker) along with CrossEPG which in my opinion is the best 7 day tv guide around.
Don't be too daunted with an enigma2 receiver, you will find all the help you need on this great forum!!
I'm a big fan of Vu+ but the TM Nano-SE looks a sexy kit, with the brush metal look!!

stevenjonas
27-01-15, 14:04
Thanks.

Am I correct that they've both got the most modern technology around?

twol
27-01-15, 14:35
Thanks.

Thats like asking how long is a piece of string. You want a cheap box that does the basics..... then go for one of the recommendations.
Technology is old the moment you buy it...... there is always something coming... that how the tech business runs :)

Andy_Hazza
27-01-15, 15:08
Thanks.

I have narrowed it down to 2 after looking at the specs more, it's either the Technomate Nano-SE or the Vu+ Zero. Like I've said previously, I am a big fan of Vu+, but the Technomate Nano-SE does look sexy, but I prefer the Vu+ remote. Everyone is to there own though and with the price you want to pay, you can't go wrong with either of these receivers in my opinion. If you are wanting something with modern technology, the best available at this time then you need to look at the Vu+ Solo2, Mut@nt HD2400 etc, but then you can add another couple hundred quid on top of the one hundred quid for the receivers I've narrowed down for you.

Personally as you are new to Enigma 2, I would go with either Vu+ Zero or the Technomate Nano-SE. Buy from the sponsors of this site WoS, and get a £5 discount by just emailing them, Go on, you know you want to!! :thumbsup:

stevenjonas
27-01-15, 15:28
Yes, It's all out of date before we've left to internet store.
I still can't make my mind up between the Vu+ Zero & the Tecnomate Nano-SE?

Andy_Hazza
27-01-15, 17:33
If it was me I would go with the Vu+ Zero. I would have ViX preinstalled and I would also purchase the 8GB Kingston usb stick with that too. If you email Steff at WoS and ask for a £5 money off code and order via WoS, they are great and offer a good service, you won't be disappointed.
The reason I recommend purchasing the Kingston usb stick is if you ever need to do a fresh flash install (image) but mainly I would setup CrossEPG to the usb and you can also enable timeshift too. Timeshift is the equivalent to pausing live tv etc.
Vu+ is a fantastic make and the zero model looks a snazzy piece of kit, and the Vu+ remote is nice too. You won't be disappointed! All you need to decide now is when to get it! lol
You will get hooked on enigma2, world of fantastic stuff and in ViX you won't go wrong, they provide us with the best possible image, others don't even come close!! Trust me, but you can always try the others, but I can guarantee you will be back using the ViX image in no time.
Good luck mate, go n purchase the Vu+ Zero and let the fun begin!!

Larry-G
27-01-15, 17:39
The only thing that would sway me away from the VU+ zero is the plastic case which from all accounts can get a good hot spot going from prolonged use, the Nano SE being metal should be able to shed that heat better plus it looks better in my opinion.

Sent from my iPad Air using Tapatalk

Andy_Hazza
27-01-15, 17:45
Decision time Steven. lol. Both are excellent receivers, but I do understand Pheonix point too.
Best thing to do Steven is go n take a look at the pictures on WoS and compare, look at the remotes etc n see which one floats your boat.

Larry-G
27-01-15, 17:54
Also ask try asking the sponsors opinion, he will give a unbiased genuine account of both receivers and maybe be able to recommend one that fits all your needs.

Sent from my iPad Air using Tapatalk

stevenjonas
27-01-15, 18:31
Many thanks.

I note that the Technomate has a SPDIF out port. Is that worth something?

Andy_Hazza
27-01-15, 18:56
Many thanks.

I note that the Technomate has a SPDIF out port. Is that worth something?

Its for connecting to an amplifier, which I don't personally, so depends on your personal needs/preferences etc.

Sicilian
28-01-15, 15:14
I'd seriously recommend the new TM-Nano-SE http://www.world-of-satellite.co.uk/Digital-Satellite-Receivers/Technomate-Linux-HD-Receivers/Technomate-TM-Nano-SE Awesome little box imo.

stevenjonas
29-01-15, 17:09
After much nave gazing, I've ordered the Nano.

I was a bit disappointed to learn that W-O-S has abandoned its discount to Forum users.:(

rossi2000
29-01-15, 17:30
the prices have lowered since
your not losing out.

Larry-G
29-01-15, 17:40

I was a bit disappointed to learn that W-O-S has abandoned its discount to Forum users.:(

He has lowered prices for most receivers and is doing more localized deals so your not missing out with the loss of the five quid discount.

world-of-satellite.co.uk
29-01-15, 17:58

We stopped the Forum discounts in favour of lower prices across our range of products. Thank you for your order.

A word of warning to all potential customers though, please don't be surprised if some prices start creeping up due to the euro/dollar exchange rate. Gigablue today have already increased their price to us, our next shipment from them to us will be more expensive, then depending on our GBP to Euro exchange rate we may need to increase prices.

Andy_Hazza
29-01-15, 18:22
Stef is a great bloke and excels with the after care stuff if anything goes wrong and excels in delivery too, the free (usually next day delivery if ordered early enough) interlink service is exceptional. I get all my satellite receivers etc from WoS. Stef is a credit to this satellite world.