PDA

View Full Version : Strong signal, poor quality

Nigel_Dawson
25-01-15, 16:07
Hi

Would appreciate some advice please.

Just acquired a Ross portable satalite system. Set up, pointed the dish in the right direction and elevation and the screen set up was showing 99% level (assume this is signal strength) and 0% quality. Attempted fine adjustment but no change. Seemed on that level did not fluctuate at all so pointed the dish away from the sky and still 99% level. Seems like there may be an issue here? Disconected LNB and level dropped to 20%????

Would it be a fair assumption the the receiver box is faulty? If the LNB was faulty I would have thought the level would drop to 0% when it was disconnected.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Cheers.

electrocop
25-01-15, 17:40
I can throw a couple of suggestions at you at this point.
Firstly, are you relying on the on-screen menu for setting up the dish or do you have a separate signal meter? In most cases, the on-screen signal bars are kinda pointless as they have some delay from aligning the dish to it showing that anything is there. I would suggest buying a separate meter which connects between the LNB and receiver - this is far more accurate and gives an instantaneous reading - a decent one might set you back around £15.
Another reason that you might have a good signal but poor quality would be to look at the skew adjustment of the LNB. Around the neck there will be markings (like a ruler) typically with a large central line and smaller ones to each side. Ensure that the LNB is mounted so that the large one is uppermost and central to begin with and then twist the LNB about 2 marks to the right (anticlockwise).
Hope that gives you a few pointers before condemning the equipment. If you are still unsure about the box, you could try it on a Sky dish that is already set up. If you can tune it in, then it is a fair bet that either your new dish is misaligned or the LNB dead.

Nigel_Dawson
25-01-15, 19:52
Hi

Thanks for the reply.

I did set the polarisation of the LNB but it made no difference. What surprised me is the signal didn't change at all no matter where the dish was pointing, even when it was off its stand and on the ground. Still full signal. I appreciated there is a delay with using the on screen meter, so I waited a little while before I made further adjustments.

I will follow your advice and connect to a Sky dish and see if the box is working. If it is I'll pick up a new LNB and a meter and give that a go.

Cheers.

Nigel