PDA

View Full Version : Network

Casterina
25-01-15, 00:45
I'm using the BT HH5 router, in my receiver should I use DHCP or manually assign a static IP, whats the best option?

judge
25-01-15, 01:15
Manually assign is usually the best bet so the IP doesn't change, makes telnet/ftp/webif and so on a lot easier.
Set it to use DHCP first, then when it picks up the correct network settings, set Use DHCP to no (Menu -> Setup -> System -> Network -> Device setup -> Adapter settings), then just change the IP to a number out of range of your DHCP or a high number.
Another option would be on your router, lock the mac address of the Solo2 to a specific IP.

Casterina
25-01-15, 01:34
Manually assign is usually the best bet so the IP doesn't change, makes telnet/ftp/webif and so on a lot easier.
Set it to use DHCP first, then when it picks up the correct network settings, set Use DHCP to no (Menu -> Setup -> System -> Network -> Device setup -> Adapter settings), then just change the IP to a number out of range of your DHCP or a high number.
Another option would be on your router, lock the mac address of the Solo2 to a specific IP.
Thanks, I have now locked the receiver to use 192.168.1.71 IP by ticking Yes to 'Always use this IP address' in my router

http://ultraimg.com/images/359466ab48e.jpg

birdman
25-01-15, 02:04
I'm using the BT HH5 router, in my receiver should I use DHCP or manually assign a static IP, whats the best option?My basic rule is

If it's a fixed device (TV, desktop, server, Blu-ray player, printer...) it gets a fixed (static) IP address which is outside of the router's DHCP range (so these systems never bother to make any DHCP requests).
If it's a mobile device ('phone, laptop...) it uses DHCP, but has an specific IP address allocated to its MAC address (this means they will use DHCP when out roaming...)
The rest of my DHCP range is left for occasional visitors.

Casterina
25-01-15, 12:49
My basic rule is

If it's a fixed device (TV, desktop, server, Blu-ray player, printer...) it gets a fixed (static) IP address which is outside of the router's DHCP range (so these systems never bother to make any DHCP requests).
If it's a mobile device ('phone, laptop...) it uses DHCP, but has an specific IP address allocated to its MAC address (this means they will use DHCP when out roaming...)
The rest of my DHCP range is left for occasional visitors.

My DHCP range is from 192.168.1.64 to 192.168.1.253, so that means I should set a static IP from 1-63?

birdman
25-01-15, 13:01
My DHCP range is from 192.168.1.64 to 192.168.1.253, so that means I should set a static IP from 1-63?
If you were following my rules, then yes.
Although I'd also have narrowed the DHCP range, as there's no way I'd have 190 different mobile things connecting to it within 24 hours (or whatever your DHCP assignment timeout is).

Casterina
26-01-15, 13:37
I've set a static IP (192.168.1.60) in the receiver and it worked a few times as I have tested it by putting it in deep standby, turning it back on and gets connection straight away.

Turned it on this morning and it gets connection but no bytes received?

http://ultraimg.com/images/6c3fac.png

After restarting the network via the receiver,

http://ultraimg.com/images/714b54.png

birdman
27-01-15, 03:49
Odd that the IP address and Nameserver are both listed as unconfirmed - and the latter stays that way even after a restart, which does set the IP address.

Do you have a nameserver IP address configured?
And when you first turn it (when the network fails) on does it know that it has an IP address configured?

Also, when you say "Turned it on this morning" - is that powering it on, or bringing it out of Deep Standby?
And if you were "turning it on", were you also "turning on the router" at the same time?