PDA

View Full Version : New Box Help

Chunky
10-01-15, 17:23
Just got a VU+solo2 yesterday and managed to flash it with Vix using the excellent guides on here.

I have a Qnap nas and i want to use this to record to instead of using an internal hdd is this possible?.
I have managed to mount it to watch movies but i'm a total newbie so all advice much appreciated

pembo
10-01-15, 17:54
not tried this, but assume you can change the location under recordings settings to poin to the mounted location.
Just remember to press the 'MENU' button on the remote to change to the filelist so you can add a new bookmark location.

Chunky
10-01-15, 18:24
Thanks for the reply. Just had a quick bash but can't seem to change location in recording settings.
I delete bookmark then can't seem to put anything else in.

What else would you recommend to put on this box and how do I do it?.
Can't see YouTube add on or anything but I am still doing a lot a research at mo so any quick pointers would be much appreciated

Chunky
10-01-15, 20:28
Cheers Pembo followed your instructions and changed destination of recordings (I didn't press the menu button last time doh!)
Not recorded anything yet but can't see why it won't work.

Peterj
10-01-15, 20:32
are the access right correct on the Qnap?
Do you have write rights?

Chunky
10-01-15, 21:37
When I mounted nas to watch movies I signed in with admin account so I thought it would automatically roll over to recording section.
Will give it a test later. I've cancelled sky and now have about 7 days to rig this up or face the wrath of er indoors!!
Basically I just want to set it up as a freesat pvr that the missus can use but also connect to nas plus be able to play files recorded on nas(by solo2) on other say tvs and tablets.
Trying to read as much info as i can so any nudges in the right direction is very much appreciated

Peterj
10-01-15, 21:47
when you setup the mount, did you choose the option 'use as HD'?

Chunky
10-01-15, 21:53
No I didn't know what it meant so left it as no I think

Chunky
11-01-15, 00:59
Just tried to record.....no luck yet

imish
11-01-15, 06:17
reboot your box to ensure that the new settings take effect.

Andy_Hazza
11-01-15, 08:01
The Hbbtv is a good plugin for you to use. Press menu, plugins, green button n locate extensions and you will find Hbbtv.
This will give you Youtube and also if you have a smart fone you can pair your device with the Youtube app and search content on your fone and play through your Solo2 (TV), makes it like a smartTV!!

Chunky
11-01-15, 11:18
Had a bit play last night and managed to timeshift and record to nas eventually. Think I'll get a usb stick for timeshift and picons.
What make and size would you recommend?

Not had a chance to try hbbtv but will give it a go.
I did manage to link kodi on my tab 4 to it which was a result but did notice when it was scanning for channels I kept getting an error window popping up on tv. Will take a pic next time.
What button do you use on remote to show what's recording?

Larry-G
11-01-15, 11:23
If I recall correctly you have a Solo2 ?, in that case Picons are by far better off on the internal flash as that is the fastest possible location for them and you have enough of it available any way.

Chunky
11-01-15, 11:32
How do I put picons on internal flash?

And is usb stick still best option for time shift?

Larry-G
11-01-15, 11:36
How do I put picons on internal flash?

And is usb stick still best option for time shift?

If you download the picons from the image feeds it will give you the option to place them on the flash, you can FTP them there manually if you wish but I am not near a receiver at present and can't remember the exact path. as for timeshift, I dont use that feature my self but if you have a internal HDD why not use that ?, unless you dont want the drive constantly spinning ?.

Chunky
11-01-15, 11:45
Thanks for the reply. I don't have an internal hdd I've been recording and time shifting to nas.

I'll try to download picons from plug in menu I didn't realise it would give you the option to place in flash.
This has been quite a steep learning curve I only got box Friday!
Great forum btw been a great help for total newbie:thumbsup:

Larry-G
11-01-15, 11:54
head over to www.openvix.co.uk (http://www.openvix.co.uk) look in the guides and tutorials section for the ViX manual. it will give you some valuable info on setting up and maintaining your image. were still here if you need help too, but it wont hurt any thing to have a read up on things.

Chunky
11-01-15, 12:46
Thanks will do............but I'll be back:cool:

Chunky
13-01-15, 22:15
Well......I'm back. Had a good read of the user manual and a bit of a play. Changed the skin to blue skin to make it more wife friendly but have noticed when I go to files on my nas the list isn't displayed properly only the top half of the text for some reason.

is there something I'm doing wrong or not doing?
Also in the plug ins section it says firmware update is it safe to click this, does it just upgrade vix?
On the small tv menu there's a green arrow flashing, what does this mean?
Sorry for all the questions but I am slowly learning

judge
13-01-15, 22:34
Changed the skin to blue skin to make it more wife friendly but have noticed when I go to files on my nas the list isn't displayed properly only the top half of the text for some reason.
Press menu when on that screen & reduce the number of rows.

Also in the plug ins section it says firmware update is it safe to click this, does it just upgrade vix?

No need to do anything there, it's only used when the manufacturer issue a firmware update.
To update the ViX image, Menu -> Setup -> Software update.

On the small tv menu there's a green arrow flashing, what does this mean?

Sounds like the Software update available icon.

Chunky
13-01-15, 23:11
Thanks judge :thumbsup:
one more thing. Do I need to keep updating vix everytime an update comes out? Or just stick with it if everything's okay. on apollo 119 at mo I think

judge
13-01-15, 23:19
If you're happy with the image you're on, no need to keep updating.
However, updates contain bug fixes, new features & so on...
Also, the longer you leave it between updates, the bigger chance an older settings restore isn't recommended.
Saying that, we have users who update daily, weekly, monthly, yearly & even longer.
Updated builds are announced on the forums, facebook & twitter, so shouldn't be too hard to decide on what you want to do.