PDA

View Full Version : Record to NAS

craggy
08-01-15, 16:15
Hi

I am looking to purchase a TM Twin-OE (from our sponsor!) and wanted to know a few things first if anyone could be so kind enough as to advise!

Rather than recording to an internal HDD, can I record to my Synology NAS, to make the recordings available to other devises, such as smart TV's, rather than tying the box up watching recordings? The other reason is that I may have a second box and dont want recording split across multiple boxes.
If so, what is the recording format, i.e. .mkv?
Assuming tha same transponder and recording 3 simultaneous programmes, will the 100M NIC handle this?

Thanks in advance

Craggy

judge
08-01-15, 17:11
For the price difference between the TM Twin-OE & the TM-Nano 2 Super or the TM-Nano-3T, I'd be going with one of the latter.
And, yes, recording 3 shows to your NAS should be fine.
File format of recordings is .ts

craggy
08-01-15, 18:00
Thanks Judge. I was looking at the Twin-OE because of the RF modulation. I want to send it around the TV network without using HDMI matrix. otherwise, yes I agree the Nano-3T is far better.
Can the .ts format be played natively on smart TV's?

Thanks Craggy

judge
08-01-15, 19:11
Can the .ts format be played natively on smart TV's?

I'd guess some can but not sure myself.
Have a look at the app by pembo, might do what you want?
http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?41532-Engima-2-Samsung-SMART-TV-Streaming-app&p=321176&viewfull=1#post321176

gilvey
09-01-15, 08:37
Recordings play fine through smart tvs. Sony Samsung and toshiba anyway. You can drag recordings from the hard drive to usb sticks etc and plug them into other tvs saves messing about moving hard drives. Make sure the fan is turned up on the receiver as you may experience glitching, a problem I had at first but was resolved by turning up the fan. It's just a shame there's no decent user manuals for these receivers. Tm twin oe is a great box. I too chose it for the rf out. I also use a modulator and it sends it all over the house with no loss and magic eye function. Of course you can use vu+ app on your mobile devices too for streaming/remote control functions etc

craggy
12-01-15, 22:50
Thanks for your help on this. Going to order the box and get it up and running.