PDA

View Full Version : Internal hdd not powering up

et9k
07-01-15, 13:45
i've installed an internal hdd (velociraptor) but it doesnt seems to be powering up when i turn my gigablue hd quad plus on, it makes no noise or vibratation, i also tried to hook a 3.5" hard disk and turn decoder on, nothing it is like decoder is not powering the hdd, i double checked sata sable and psu cable but nothing changed, i have latest apollo vix installed and there is NOTHING, in any menu related to hard disk, formatting, storage, just NOTHING about HDD, also fdisk is not installed neither lsblk. What the hell?

et9k
07-01-15, 17:07
plz answer me, i have installed
openvix-Apollo.115-gbquadplus_usb.zip
where is hard disk tools? why i see nothing regarding hard disk in the menus?

Larry-G
07-01-15, 17:12
Look in menu-setup-system for the section dealing with the HDD, I can not be more specific as I am at work and not near a receiver.

If you can not see any thing for the HDD there reflash the receiver with build 118 from www.openvix.co.uk without using a settings backup.

Sent from my iPad Air using Tapatalk

patchy
07-01-15, 17:16
should be in menu,system, storage devices,select then you need to initialise red button

et9k
07-01-15, 18:21
i have menu,system but nothing about STORAGE
now my question is, have the hard disk to "start" when i turn the decoder on ? because looks DEAD, that beside menu, OR does the initializing in the meny do the mats and start the hard disk Physically too?
to Answer myself that question i'm gonna plug an usb hard disk in order too see if menu things pops out, but in all decoders i've had hard disk physically started with decoder, regardless of the image.

et9k
07-01-15, 18:24
i will also try to give hard disk external alimentation, but leave it plugged in the internal sata, my suspect is i got a defective unit that doesn't powers the internal hdd.

Larry-G
07-01-15, 18:28
to Answer myself that question i'm gonna plug an usb hard disk in order too see if menu things pops out, but in all decoders i've had hard disk physically started with decoder, regardless of the image.

The HDD section in the image is not dependent on weather it detects a HDD or not, if its not there you are either looking in the wrong place or there is something wrong with your image, in which case you should as advised reflash to the latest image on the openvix servers.

Larry-G
07-01-15, 18:32
For the HDD section look in Menu> Setup> System> Storage devices.

I would also recommend you go to www.openvix.co.uk and download a copy of the ViX manual as this covers almost the entire setup of a ViX image on all supported receivers.

et9k
07-01-15, 18:46
For the HDD section look in Menu> Setup> System> Storage devices.

I would also recommend you go to www.openvix.co.uk and download a copy of the ViX manual as this covers almost the entire setup of a ViX image on all supported receivers.

jesus christ dude, i really thank u for your effort in trying to help me, but i'm not that NEW of decoders and vix images, the menu is just NOT THERE. i will try to reflash, can u wise me a specific version?
i repeat i flash with
openvix-Apollo.115-gbquadplus_usb.zipů

Anyway something is badly wrong because i repeat, hard disk doesnt turning on when i turn decoder on (i put an ear on it and nothing)

Larry-G
07-01-15, 18:54
jesus christ dude, i really thank u for your effort in trying to help me, but i'm not that NEW of decoders and vix images, the menu is just NOT THERE. i will try to reflash, can u wise me a specific version?
i repeat i flash with
openvix-Apollo.115-gbquadplus_usb.zipů

Anyway something is badly wrong because i repeat, hard disk doesnt turning on when i turn decoder on (i put an ear on it and nothing)

I have already advised you multiple times to head over to www.openvix.co.uk download the latest build for your receiver (Apollo build 118 I believe) and flash that WITHOUT USING A SETTINGS BACKUP. I dont mean to be rude but if you cant follow that simple piece of advice there is very little more I can do to help you, especially as I am not even near a receiver my self but at work.

et9k
07-01-15, 18:55
DUDE
ok, i did the test, and i'm sorry to say u are wrong, as soon as i plugged the usb hard disk, storage menu appeared in menu system.
when i unplug it, it disappear. So it's not the image, and i'm not gonna reflash it. I really think at this point that my unit is defective and just doesnt powers the internal hdd.. any solution? i really dont wanna wait for the rma.. maybe i can get power from another source, finding it with a tester... any ideas?

Larry-G
07-01-15, 19:01
So it's not the image, and i'm not gonna reflash it.

OK then I am no longer willing to help you any further, I have given you advice and every step of the way you have ignored and refused to follow that advice. so find some one else to help you because I'm done.

Sicilian
07-01-15, 19:30
Why are you trying to power a 3.5" velociraptor HDD internally? Quad+ only supports 2.5" drives, before trying to declare fault I suggest u connect a 2.5" drive and test.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

et9k
07-01-15, 19:31
OK then I am no longer willing to help you any further, I have given you advice and every step of the way you have ignored and refused to follow that advice. so find some one else to help you because I'm done.

better, because u look UNABLE to help from the peak of your arrogance, i'm telling u the synthomps and u keep ignoring them, indeed, i was right on all front.

I did another test, powering internal hdd plugged with internal sata with external alimentation, and EVERYTHING works, menu storage it is now present, i have two options here, defective motherboard doesnt powers up hdd or the little cable is defective somewhere.

et9k
07-01-15, 19:33
Why are you trying to power a 3.5" velociraptor HDD internally? Quad+ only supports 2.5" drives, before trying to declare fault I suggest u connect a 2.5" drive and test.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mmmmm this is indeed very intresting.. u think it requires more wattage? velociraptor is 2.5" but u may be right that it requires more power, same for the 3.5" i tested.. if this is really true that decoder stinks.. it can't even power a 3.5 hdd? lol !
grazie caro ora provo con un ssd 2.5 altrimenti lo alimento dall'esterno e vaffall'ovo

patchy
07-01-15, 22:29
if you cant see HDD in Menu> Setup> System> Storage devices. then I think you HDD drive fu-k try a usb stick to see if it shows

et9k
08-01-15, 00:10
if you cant see HDD in Menu> Setup> System> Storage devices. then I think you HDD drive fu-k try a usb stick to see if it shows

yes mate, already tried that, and it works, menu storage pops out when i plus an external usb hdd, the problem was the internal connector not powering internal hdd, instead of rma im powering internal hdd with an external specific 5 euros psu.

judge
08-01-15, 01:02
yes mate, already tried that, and it works, menu storage pops out when i plus an external usb hdd, the problem was the internal connector not powering internal hdd, instead of rma im powering internal hdd with an external specific 5 euros psu.
So the issue was with the HDD you're trying to power up rather than the manufacturer of the box or the image used?

et9k
08-01-15, 06:47
So the issue was with the HDD you're trying to power up rather than the manufacturer of the box or the image used?

no, issue was decoder's motherboard NOT powering up from the internal connector, i "solved" it by powering the hdd with an external psu while leaving it plugged to the internal sata interface.

http://www.amazon.it/TECNO-ADATTATORE-ALIMENTATORE-COLLEGA-LETTORI/dp/B00C9VDUXW/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1420696218&sr=8-2&keywords=alimentatore+hard+disk
and i've used only the psu part without usb adapter.

for sicilian, i tried a "normal" 2.5" laptop hdd and nothing, i also checked with a tester and zero, no power from the internal connector, very strange issue, isn't it? maybe this is also why i read a lot of complaining about recording with this decoder, may be a powering issue? i will not rma my decoder, if i can fix something i just fix it, maybe it will work even better like this, recordings for me are perfect, i hope this can help someone, really.

Beside that i'm really happy with this machine, smoking fast, dvb-t works like a charm and gigabit lan is awesome (transfer speed around 70 MBytes /s) but i agree with some ppl that SD image is very poor, i remember et9000 had same issue before they updated video drivers, so, i doubt it's an hardware problem. (my decoder is set to 1080p, same for my tv, and i can barely read channel name in sd)

lupin1
20-03-15, 23:53
friends, my this quad plus on hardisk records , when I go to see record only shows 4 second :confused:
forgive English :baby:

image 153 apollo