PDA

View Full Version : Poor sd quality :-(

007xico
06-01-15, 11:55
Hello,
the SD picture quality is poor, it has been bugging me. The quality is bad both in cable or satellite.
This is my set up:
- quad lnb>quad plus (4:3/just scale and 16:9/pan&scan) > sony av receiver > sony tv(noise reduction/MPEG Noise/Dot noise are all off)

Any tips or solutions would be welcome.
Many thanks.

twol
06-01-15, 13:51
The picture quality is poor compared to? Previous receiver? Your perception?

All SD, only sport?

Rob van der Does
06-01-15, 15:57
4:3/just scale and 16:9/pan&scan aren't the best options either, as they will enlarge the picture even more.

007xico
06-01-15, 17:28
4:3/just scale and 16:9/pan&scan aren't the best options either, as they will enlarge the picture even more.

So what are the best settings?

Rob van der Does
06-01-15, 17:40
Pillarbox & letterbox

Donkeyface
06-01-15, 20:43
Nothing wrong with my quad+ SD picture, I'm sure if you had sly box side by side the image would be the same, maybe slightly better on the quad!

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

007xico
07-01-15, 19:19
Nothing wrong with my quad+ SD picture, I'm sure if you had sly box side by side the image would be the same, maybe slightly better on the quad!

From my point of view, isn't great.
I can clearly see a pixelated image and had better image with my previous receiver (Gi S8120).

I was probably expecting too much.

pembo
07-01-15, 20:26
use auto resolution and let the TV do the upscaling to see if this makes it any better... it might, it might not.

twol
07-01-15, 21:21
From my point of view, isn't great.
I can clearly see a pixelated image and had better image with my previous receiver (Gi S8120).

I was probably expecting too much.have you tried going direct to the TV bypassing the AV receiver?

Donkeyface
07-01-15, 22:15
I have a similar setup but with a Yamaha AVR and have no image image issues what so ever. As twol said, go direct also try another hdmi just for elimination purposes.

Chris205gti
07-01-15, 23:41
I have a quad, previously I had an Nbox and found the SD picture was slightly better on that in my opinion.

judge
08-01-15, 01:17
No current issues on any box using SD cannels here, including GB.

007xico
10-01-15, 13:46
No current issues on any box using SD cannels here, including GB.

I think I might have found the issue.
I getting portuguese channels from Hispasat and there are 2 providers with same channels, but they do share frequency on some.
When going to all channels and i select the second provider the SD gets better.
Now, don't know the reason, as the set up is the same.

Larry-G
14-01-15, 17:18
I think I might have found the issue.
I getting portuguese channels from Hispasat and there are 2 providers with same channels, but they do share frequency on some.
When going to all channels and i select the second provider the SD gets better.
Now, don't know the reason, as the set up is the same.

Likely because both providers are transmitting their channels with slightly different bit rates, Just try comparing the supposed HD channels broadcast on sky uk with some of those on the continent to see how quality can differ. Most HD channels on sky uk can barely be considered HD now adays.

Sent from my iPad Air using Tapatalk

skippie
14-01-15, 18:04
I've noticed the same on my Quad, sd picture quality has degraded since last upgrade

Sent from my U65GT using Tapatalk

Larry-G
14-01-15, 18:11
I've noticed the same on my Quad, sd picture quality has degraded since last upgrade

There are only two things that can have such a negative effect on PQ

1. The bit rate at which the providers transmit their content
2. The drivers as released by the various manufacturer (which have recently been updated)

None of the above is under the control of the image makers.

Sent from my iPad Air using Tapatalk

skippie
14-01-15, 18:56
I understand Pheonix, it must be the new drivers then, the sd picture is really poor now.

nsw9154
14-01-15, 19:29
I will hopefully be able to let you all know Tomorrow about the Picture Quality when my New Gigablue Quad Plus gets Delivered :D

skippie
15-01-15, 17:27
can someone tell me what the previous quad driver was and where to download. The sd picture is so bad now :(

Rob van der Does
15-01-15, 17:37
IIRC the actual build 124 holds new drivers, so I would give that a try first.

skippie
15-01-15, 17:54
what are the Linux commands to install the drivers?

skippie
15-01-15, 18:10
I updated to 124 but still bad picture.
What are the commands please

nsw9154
15-01-15, 19:15
No such problem with my New QBQ+ on SD :confused:

Larry-G
16-01-15, 11:43
I updated to 124 but still bad picture.
What are the commands please

There are no telnet commands to install the receivers hardware drivers on their own. You either install them manually via FTP or as part of a general image update. As above I have no issues with PQ on my GB Quad and sky UK SD channels.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

skippie
16-01-15, 12:24
There are no telnet commands to install the receivers hardware drivers on their own. You either install them manually via FTP or as part of a general image update. As above I have no issues with PQ on my GB Quad and sky UK SD channels.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

found it in the meantime : INIT

Larry-G
16-01-15, 12:29
sorry but I dont know what your talking about, INIT does not update the drivers ???.

skippie
17-01-15, 02:34
INIT 4 to stop the quad so i can copy the drivers to the quad and INIT 3 to start again, then reboot.
This is what i've been told to do to update the drivers.

Rob van der Does
17-01-15, 05:42
That is wrong then, as init 3 only starts E2 and doesn't reboot the box. So:
Manually copy the drivers to the box, then do "init 6" (or via the GUI of the box: restart).

tappari
17-01-15, 11:23
Sometimes it helps with PQ, if videoenhancement plugin is installed from systemplugins. There it`s possible for example to adjust scaler sharpness. After installing it can be found from system-> Video Enhancement Settings.

007xico
18-01-15, 01:58
Sometimes it helps with PQ, if videoenhancement plugin is installed from systemplugins. There it`s possible for example to adjust scaler sharpness. After installing it can be found from system-> Video Enhancement Settings.

When I press video Enhancement nothing shows on screen :confused:

skippie
18-01-15, 17:45
I never used the videoenhancement plugin, it is a fact that my sd picture is worse now, don't know how or why, I only do the upgrades when available.

richca
18-01-15, 18:53
Ye I agree that the picture is worse now, noticably so, especially so with larger screen TV, even HD is poor compared to how it used to be, I believe from a source last year that to have so many so called HD channels the bandwidth had to reduce on most channels thus reducing picture quality on all channels

I believe the picture on HD nowadays to be not much better than standard on analogue satellite 20 years ago

Rob van der Does
19-01-15, 06:40
Ye I agree that the picture is worse now, noticably so, especially so with larger screen TV, even HD is poor compared to how it used to be,
This proves that something is wrong at your end; either a hardware fault or wrong settings.
For HD it's actually quite simple: the picture provided by the box is 100% the same as it is in the air. Nothing is being changed to it (unless you use the 'Video Enhancement' plugin, and provided the channel is in 1080i and the output of your box is also 1080i).
Please make sure that all so called 'video enhancers' of your telly have been disabled for the input you use for your box.

I believe the picture on HD nowadays to be not much better than standard on analogue satellite 20 years ago
Pardon my French, but this is utterly nonsense. Just play one of your VHS-tapes and you'll agree with me.

msr
19-01-15, 12:23
I think it mainly depends on the tv being used, i find some lcds simply are rubbish at viewing sd pictures, and some sd pictures work well on.

So for me the answer to ops question, is that some lcds are awful at sd picture, so i would think there answer is the tv they have.

pac2000
19-01-15, 17:56
If You're Output Is 1080p, The SD Video Needs To Be Multiplied By Nearly 3 Horizontally And By 2 Vertically...

Just Out Of Interest, Have You Tried Outputting In 720p From The Quad To See If The SD Is Any Better???

I Set Mine To 1080i, Because The 1080p Makes The Video Look Less Sharp On My TV...

Rob van der Does
19-01-15, 18:02
The difference between outputting 1080i and p is using the de-interlacer of the TV or of the box.

Using 720p means first upscaling by the box, and than again by the TV; this can never be a good solution. Than you would better use Autoresolution, so upscaling is only done once (by the TV).

pac2000
20-01-15, 02:38
The TV Should Be Able To Display A 720p Image Quite Well... The Quad Can Easily Upscale From Sd To 720... Infact 1080i Isn't Recommended By Industry Standards As It's About The Same Bitrate As 720p But 720p Is More Stable... Only 1080p Supercedes 720p... I Remember Interlace Modes From The Old Amiga Computer... It's A Method Of Getting Double Height Pixels By Alternating Between Even And Odd Lines Every Frame... So You're Kidding Yourself If You Think 720p Is Any Different To 1080i... Both Are 3 Times The Size Of SD In Terms Of Decompressed Bitrate And Dataset...

So Try Different Modes, One May Suit Both HD And SD Better Than Others With Your Particular Setup... AutoResolution Adds Time To Channel Change(If The Resolution Changes Too)... And Can Cause Other Problems... At The End Of The Day It's Down To Personal Preference... But I Would Also Advise Checking To See If Your TV Has A Sharpness Setting...

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interlaced_video

Rob van der Does
20-01-15, 06:17
Using a capital for every single word makes your post unreadable, so I'm not able to react.

Rob van der Does
21-01-15, 10:40
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interlaced_video
In this link I can't find any information that is relevant to OP's issue.

skippie
21-01-15, 15:51
I think it mainly depends on the tv being used, i find some lcds simply are rubbish at viewing sd pictures, and some sd pictures work well on.

So for me the answer to ops question, is that some lcds are awful at sd picture, so i would think there answer is the tv they have.

It's not about the tv, I'm saying that with the same setup, system, same tv and with no changes in my system, there is a significant degradation of picture quality in SD only.

ronand
21-01-15, 18:18
That may be the policy of the provider - reduce the bitrate so the customer may be forced to upgrade to HD to have a half-decent picture.

skippie
21-01-15, 21:18
you might be right, picture is better again, I know TVV is adding 2 more HD channels, that's maybe why.

007xico
10-02-15, 00:18
Arhhhhhh :rolleyes:

Picture is still crap both cable and satellite :mad:

Tried many builds but same result, looks pixelated, i can see lines across the image.

cactikid
10-02-15, 00:42
have you tried a better hdmi cable?:D is tv bad also?

007xico
10-02-15, 23:20
have you tried a better hdmi cable?:D is tv bad also?

Sony 40 inch 3d tv 2013, so no problem there, cables yes many different ones.

If i am the only one having this problem, there are 2 explanations:
-something wrong with my set up: ex.box/tv
-you guys should get your eyes checked because it is very noticeable :eek:

cactikid
11-02-15, 00:21
wonder if your getting bad power? i dont as i use this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a-FqkW2K0ls

judge
11-02-15, 00:27
wonder if your getting bad power?

bad power?

thisntaht
11-02-15, 17:38
bad power?

Thats a new one for me too?? :confused:

rossi2000
11-02-15, 17:42
the device i think smooths out your electric, i cant remember the exact terminolgy for what there called.

rossi2000
11-02-15, 17:43
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power_conditioner