PDA

View Full Version : Poor upscaling / video resolution

Rayne
02-01-15, 14:04
Firstly, happy new year guys.

Secondly; I've had my TM Nano 2 Super on Apollo 107 for a couple of weeks now. My TV is an LG 50PH670V.

The video resolution on SD channels is noticeably poor; resulting in a "blocky" image sometimes accompanied by very subtle "speckles" around moving images (I mostly notice this around the faces of characters on TV).

When I to stream another laptop (plugged in to the TV via HDMI) it's absolutely fine and significantly better picture quality (although I'm suredifferent resolutions/HDMI sources play a factor).

In my completely uneducated opinion, it's as if the video doesn't decode properly on some SD channels. It could be that my box and picture on my TV are two completely different resolutions.

My Technomate AV settings are as follows:

Video Output: HDMI
Auto Resolution: Disabled
Mode: 1080p
Refresh Rate: Multi
Display 4:3 content as: Just scale
Display >16:9 content as: Letterbox
Dolby Digital/DTS Downmix: Yes
General AC3 Delay: 0
General PCM Delay: 0
Bypass HDMI EDID Check: Off

My LG TV Settings are:
1080p, 50hz, 16:9

Sample TV Show:
Video Format: 16:9
Video mode: 1080p50
Video size: 544x576i25

What should I do to improve video quality? or is there a way to adjust upscaling settings?

Sicilian
02-01-15, 14:11
Any E2 receiver will give similar output to a 50" TV, your 50" TV will end up magnifying upscaled SD broadcasts, some TV's display better than others. Same with any receiver you hook up to your 50" TV.

I've got a Panny plasma that SD is loads better than 2 other LCD's with any receiver.

Wouldn't say the receiver is at fault. I've just hooked up my N2S to a LG LCD, then tried with JVC LCD, JVC much better PQ imo.

Rayne
02-01-15, 16:24
Ahhhh ok - makes sense. Cheers Sicilian!

I was getting nervous i had a faulty receiver/tv....also thought i had an incorrect picture setting or it was a transcoding problem

ronand
02-01-15, 16:45
Your tv settings are fine but for a tv that size you need to sit back quite a bit from it when watching sd. A bigger screen does not equal better picture.

pembo
02-01-15, 16:49
Have you tried enabling auto resolution to allow your TV to scale rather than the E2 box?
You might get a better SD picture that way.

abu baniaz
02-01-15, 16:53
Are there any benefits of selecting refresh rate of "multi"?

Larry-G
02-01-15, 16:57

Secondly; I've had my TM Nano 2 Super on Apollo 107 for a couple of weeks now. My TV is an LG 50PH670V.

The video resolution on SD channels is noticeably poor; resulting in a "blocky" image sometimes accompanied by very subtle "speckles" around moving images (I mostly notice this around the faces of characters on TV).

When I to stream another laptop (plugged in to the TV via HDMI) it's absolutely fine and significantly better picture quality (although I'm suredifferent resolutions/HDMI sources play a factor).

In my completely uneducated opinion, it's as if the video doesn't decode properly on some SD channels. It could be that my box and picture on my TV are two completely different resolutions.

My LG TV Settings are:

Sample TV Show:

What should I do to improve video quality? or is there a way to adjust upscaling settings?

Try changing to 1080I instead of 1080P after all there is nothing broadcast in 1080P any way.

No idea, but it's what I use on all my boxes.

Rob van der Does
03-01-15, 15:55
Have you tried enabling auto resolution to allow your TV to scale rather than the E2 box?
You might get a better SD picture that way.
This is a choice between using the upscaler of the STB (AR = disabled) or of the TV (AR = enabled). Just try it and see if there are differences visual. Best use the same video/recording for the test.
But anyway, as said above: SD on a 50" TV will never be satisfying.

Yes, there are. If the video source is in 60 Hz displaying it in 50Hz will not be fine (and vice verca). And as all (modern) TV's support both 50Hz & 60Hz I can't think of any reason not to use the multi-setting.

thisntaht
03-01-15, 16:01

My LG TV Settings are:

Sample TV Show:

720p is by far the best, 1080p isn't really available as its 1080i and 720p is far better than 1080i
All your other settings are fine, Just curious is the software on your LG TV up to date as my Samsung LCD SD Picture improved a little when it got a software update.

Just my opinion of course :)

Rob van der Does
03-01-15, 16:06
720p is by far the best, 1080p isn't really available as its 1080i and 720p is far better than 1080i
I don't agree with you.
Most transmissions are in 1080i, so outputting it to 720 p means transcoding twice (1080i -->720p by the STB and 720p --> 1080p by the TV). This can never give a better result.
Better use either 1080i and leave the deinterlacing to the TV or 1080p and leave deinterlacing to the STB. No transoding (on most HD services, and if it's a 720p service only transcoding once that needs to be done anyway)

thisntaht
03-01-15, 16:07
I don't agree with you.
Most transmissions are in 1080i, so outputting it to 720 p means transcoding twice (1080i -->720p by the STB and 720p --> 1080p by the TV). This can never give a better result.
Better use either 1080i and leave the deinterlacing to the TV or 1080p and leave deinterlacing to the STB. No transoding (on most HD services, and if it's a 720p service only transcoding once that needs to be done anyway)

I don't agree with you.

For no other reason than what my eyes tell me :)

nsw9154
03-01-15, 16:46
I always had all my Receivers set to 50hz 1080p but I have just changed my Mut@nt to 1080i multi and I can see an improvement in the picture Quality

Thank's for the tip Rob :thumbsup:

I have just changed to these settings on my LX3 & Duo2 and done a full back up as the picture is much better in my opinion

Rayne
05-01-15, 19:32
This is a choice between using the upscaler of the STB (AR = disabled) or of the TV (AR = enabled). Just try it and see if there are differences visual. Best use the same video/recording for the test.
But anyway, as said above: SD on a 50" TV will never be satisfying.

I tried enabling AR - and results are negligible (but it wasn't a very detailed assessment tbh. Will make a more indepth assessment tomorrow).

Also - and irritatingly - the TV has a long pause and flicker between channel changes, whilst it readjusts to the new resolution

Just curious is the software on your LG TV up to date as my Samsung LCD SD Picture improved a little when it got a software update.

No - old software, but no harm in trying. Will have a crack and report back.

On a separate note, and for my own learning - why is it that the PQ on an E2 STB is not as good as the PQ on a non-E2 STB, for SD broadcasts?

twol
05-01-15, 20:09
L

On a separate note, and for my own learning - why is it that the PQ on an E2 STB is not as good as the PQ on a non-E2 STB, for SD broadcasts?
Like which non E2 STB?

Rob van der Does
06-01-15, 09:08
Also - and irritatingly - the TV has a long pause and flicker between channel changes, whilst it readjusts to the new resolution
Yes, that's the obvious consequence of using AR. Of course it depends on the services you watch most.

why is it that the PQ on an E2 STB is not as good as the PQ on a non-E2 STB, for SD broadcasts?
I don't think that's the case.

bobbylondon999
18-07-15, 23:49
I have just bought this box and this helped so thanks guys.. I have my box going through my xbox one but xbox dose not recognise it dose anyone know remote code? thanks in advance

abu baniaz
19-07-15, 01:05
I am pretty sure most of the TM Linux receivers will work through the XBOX One HDMI input. This was reported to TM. Please correct me if I am wrong.