PDA

View Full Version : [VU+ Duo] Seeing VU+ Duo on home computer network

kilteragh
30-12-14, 14:22
I'm running the latest Vix.

On a previous version a few months back I could see my Vu+ Duo on the computer network and easily transfer files back and forth.

No more though. Is there a simple setting I should have in place?

I'm running Windows 7.

Larry-G
30-12-14, 14:24
Go into the network section on the image and install NFC and maybe samba too.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Walt
30-12-14, 14:25
It was samba not being installed that caused the problem for me.

kilteragh
30-12-14, 14:34
Thanks lads. That sounds familiar. I'll have a look when I can get the mother-in-law away from the telly.

I might be some time :rolleyes:

terryuk22
30-12-14, 14:42
I had this as well after weeks trying gave up put black hole in perfect
old vix images could see the vu on network

Larry-G
30-12-14, 15:05
It was samba not being installed that caused the problem for me.

Samba was removed from the base image over 18 months ago, due to its size and use of system resources, you can add it back in by simply clicking on the samba header in the network section of the image.

Sent from my iPad Air using Tapatalk

imish
30-12-14, 15:06
Samba was removed from the base image over 18 months ago, due to its size and use of system resources, you can add it back in by simply clicking on the samba header in the network section of the image.

Good to know. will turn this on on mine too.

Larry-G
30-12-14, 15:07
Whats the advantage of seeing this on your network?

None in my opinion, then again I use a dedicated FTP client to connect to my receivers so don't need this feature.

imish
30-12-14, 15:09
None in my opinion, then again I use a dedicated FTP client to connect to my receivers so don't need this feature.

I removed my question as I noticed that he believed it was easier to transfer files to and from the box.

I like you use FTP. :)

Larry-G
30-12-14, 15:12
No need to remove questions, they help others. What works for me may not work for someone else. That's one of the good things about these receivers, they are infinitely customisable.

kilteragh
30-12-14, 15:37
Samba worked. Thanks everyone.

fast65
30-12-14, 17:25

Hi phoenix'
sorry to go slightly off topic, but does having samba activated slow solo2 down. Wondering if it may be causing my reboot speed to be slow. I will turn it off and post results

Larry-G
30-12-14, 17:27
Not that I can remember but it does add a good 30 to 40 my to the image, it won't hurt to try your suggestion though and disable samba for a while.

fast65
30-12-14, 17:59
Not that I can remember but it does add a good 30 to 40 my to the image, it won't hurt to try your suggestion though and disable samba for a while.

tried it but didn't help. A full 9mins to reboot. Slower than my old Alien 2 (lol)

Larry-G
30-12-14, 18:05
Such a slow reboot time could be a symptom of the infamous red L.E.D of death due to failing capacitors like.

nsw9154
30-12-14, 19:49
Such a slow reboot time could be a symptom of the infamous red L.E.D of death due to failing capacitors like.

But that should not be the case with a Solo2 my old one used to boot up in about 45 seconds

judge
30-12-14, 21:18
tried it but didn't help. A full 9mins to reboot. Slower than my old Alien 2 (lol)

Something seriously wrong with it so.
When did you last reflash to a current image with no settings or plugins restored?

Larry-G
30-12-14, 21:27
But that should not be the case with a Solo2 my old one used to boot up in about 45 seconds

Correct, I assumed it was a Duo due to the title of the thread, I should have read his reply closer. still something very wrong for a solo2 to take ten minutes to boot. We would ideally need to see a bootlog to see whats going on there.

fast65
30-12-14, 22:05
Something seriously wrong with it so.
When did you last reflash to a current image with no settings or plugins restored?

Hi Judge can't remember exact No but it was the last image where we were advised not to restore. Possibly when the HD was integrated into the ordinary images

regards

fast65
30-12-14, 22:06
Correct, I assumed it was a Duo due to the title of the thread, I should have read his reply closer. still something very wrong for a solo2 to take ten minutes to boot. We would ideally need to see a bootlog to see whats going on there.

Hi Phoenix
how would I be able to post a bootlog

thanks

cactikid
30-12-14, 22:10
setting up mine with latest image from scratch and no backups as i was on older image:D

judge
30-12-14, 22:13
Hi Judge can't remember exact No but it was the last image where we were advised not to restore. Possibly when the HD was integrated into the ordinary images

Try flashing again using build 112, currently available on http://www.openvix.co.uk/
Dont do any restores, is it still slow to boot then?

fast65
30-12-14, 22:16
Try flashing again using build 112, currently available on http://www.openvix.co.uk/
Dont do any restores, is it still slow to boot then?

will do and will let you know what happens

regards

fast65
31-12-14, 13:44
Hi
done a complete fresh installation without any restore and that has solved problem. any thanks for help

terryuk22
01-01-15, 19:09
pheonix was spot on

just reloaded VIX, after a year and now see uno in network

imish
01-01-15, 19:28
Samba worked. Thanks everyone.

Where does one setup the network NAME of the box?

EDIT - figured it out - Under Network Hostname.

Rob van der Does
04-01-15, 04:20
Moved to this section.

Please read this thread HERE (http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?33154-ALL-MEMBERS-PLEASE-READ!-New-method-of-posting-in-ViX-Support-Section-coming-soon!)

Rob van der Does
04-01-15, 04:23
A different issue, so worth a different thread.
But: this can easily be the case if Linux is checking the file system of an internal HDD. A bootlog (RS232) can tell you more.

Rob van der Does
04-01-15, 04:25
pheonix was spot on
just reloaded VIX, after a year and now see uno in network
For using Windows Explorer only Samba is required.
NFS is the Linux native system.

Tkr001
06-01-15, 03:01
Long boots like that can sometimes be attributed to a mounted drive not being available.....

Rob van der Does
06-01-15, 06:42
Long boots like that can sometimes be attributed to a mounted drive not being available.....
That indeed slows down booting but not for 9 minutes. A diskcheck however can easily take even longer.

fast65
06-01-15, 16:00
That indeed slows down booting but not for 9 minutes. A diskcheck however can easily take even longer.

Has been ok since I did a clean install. Maybe I had put something on in wrong place or something.

regards

bjorntj
09-01-15, 00:21
For using Windows Explorer only Samba is required.
NFS is the Linux native system.

Not exactly correct.. NFS is a network filesystem (hence it's name), which OS like Linux use...

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

judge
09-01-15, 00:25
Not exactly correct.. NFS is a network filesystem (hence it's name), which OS like Linux use...
Hence why it's native to Linux. :confused:

bjorntj
10-01-15, 00:04
No, it's not native to Linux, it's supported by Linux.. You can also install NFS support on windows if you want.. And on most Linux distributions NFS is not supported without installing some extra packages.. So no, it's not native.. :-)

judge
11-01-15, 01:43
No, it's not native to Linux, it's supported by Linux.. You can also install NFS support on windows if you want.. And on most Linux distributions NFS is not supported without installing some extra packages.. So no, it's not native.. :-)

As we're getting pedantic now...

It is a native Linux/Unix protocol as opposed to Samba which uses the SMB protocol developed by Microsoft. The Apple OS has good support for NFS. Windows 7 has some support for NFS.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SettingUpNFSHowTo

bjorntj
12-01-15, 00:30
I don't agree with the words native Linux but yes, we are getting pedantic.. :-)