PDA

View Full Version : How to setup Cable?

imish
30-12-14, 13:12
Hi All.

Just received my Ultra HD receiver this morning, need some help setting it up for Cable (FTA only).

I've gone through this thread but in vain - it doesn't find any Cable Channels. (http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?42837-Can-t-find-any-virgin-channels)

What network ID do I need to use?

abu baniaz
30-12-14, 13:18
Are you sure you have a dvb-c signal?

You can also test tuners by using an aerial and setting tuner to dvb-t.

imish
30-12-14, 13:20
Are you sure you have a dvb-c signal?

is there a way to check on the box?

Used to have a Tivo box connected to this co-ax a year ago before I disconnected the TV service. I simply disconnected the box so expect the signal to still be there.

bbbuk
30-12-14, 13:24
You need a working live feed from Virgin and have you setup the tuner side of things correctly because if I remember reading correctly you need to loop cable feed from one tuner to another!

I could be wrong on this (with regards to setting up multiple tuners) so don't take my word for it.

abu baniaz
30-12-14, 13:25
If you don't have any services they sometimes disconnect properties at the cabinet.

It could also be a faulty splitter/connection indoors.

duoduo
30-12-14, 13:39
If you have cancelled your service how are you expecting to run the service on your receiver now?

bbbuk
30-12-14, 13:40
Yes I have read that they do sometimes disconnect properties if they need the space at the cabinet for another virgin customer, it is rare but can happen.

If you have Virgin broadband then you still have a live feed otherwise could you maybe borrow someone's actual virgin supplied TV or broadband box and see if that works?

A virgin supplied TV box is better because if that works then you can also use that box to obtain the netid.

imish
30-12-14, 13:42
Yes, I have Virgin BB and phone service, simply disconnected the tv service.

How can I check for signal using the box?

bbbuk
30-12-14, 13:47
Then you have a live cable because Virgin use the same cable for both TV and broadband and cable is just split at the house.

Is the cable feed going to the miraclebox the same feed that was used for your TV service and you haven't changed anything or messed around with anything like a splitter?

Oh, and so so you know. Cable FTA channels are very few and I think are just 1-5. Not like $ky FTA channels where you get ITV2/3/4, E4, etc as FTA also.

abu baniaz
30-12-14, 13:52
What adapter are you using at the ene of your coax prior to connecting to tuner?
If you plug in your router to same cable as you are connecting the receiver and router still works, you have signal there.
It is possible the tuner is faulty. Have you tested an aerial as suggested earlier to rule this out?

imish
30-12-14, 13:58
Is the cable feed going to the miraclebox the same feed that was used for your TV service and you haven't changed anything or messed around with anything like a splitter?

Yes

What adapter are you using at the ene of your coax prior to connecting to tuner?

I have a twin-ended F-connector cable - one end connected to the Virgin Socket - and the other with an adaptor to fit into the "IN" on the Receiver Tuner.

If you plug in your router to same cable as you are connecting the receiver and router still works, you have signal there.

It is possible the tuner is faulty. Have you tested an aerial as suggested earlier to rule this out?

Was trying to avoid that - is there no way to check for signal on the receiver itself? - else the checks you mention are my next steps.

Can you confirm that Network ID is not relevant in the settings? mine is set to ZERO by default.

abu baniaz
30-12-14, 14:03
00000 will find all channels in stream. Eventually you will need to find out your NETID to exclude channels not for you area (does not matter if you are in a pure area).

imish
30-12-14, 14:09
Error message when trying to tune Cable

Doing a full service scan now.

abu baniaz
30-12-14, 14:27
That screenshot is running ABM, it is not a conventional scan/tuning cable. ABM must be provided with your NetID (unless in a pure area, although this still needs parameters set).

What scan settings are you using, the earlier screenshot was that of your tuner config.

imish
30-12-14, 14:31
OK - I have verified the receiver tuner functional when scanning DVB through the Aerial. Its the Virgin connection that is faulty - will connect the Virgin router to it to see if it works.

imish
30-12-14, 14:53
OK - Got it working - The Virgin Cable was NOT live - the engineer had disconnected the splitter.

imish
30-12-14, 15:03
That screenshot is running ABM, it is not a conventional scan/tuning cable. ABM must be provided with your NetID (unless in a pure area, although this still needs parameters set).

What scan settings are you using, the earlier screenshot was that of your tuner config.

Think you are spot on here - need some help in getting the channels tuned.

Using ABM, I see the channels listed however when I select them this is what I see.

abu baniaz
30-12-14, 15:10
Why are you using ABM if you do not know your NetID? You could try regions you think are yours until you get the right one.

Perform a conventional/manual scan, that way you will get working as well as non-working channels.

imish
30-12-14, 15:38
Why are you using ABM if you do not know your NetID? You could try regions you think are yours until you get the right one.

Perform a conventional/manual scan, that way you will get working as well as non-working channels.

Ok.

This is what I see when trying to do a manual scan.

And then this error message.

Tuner is set to this setting. (http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?42837-Can-t-find-any-virgin-channels&p=333358&viewfull=1#post333358)

didn't realise what a challenge this was going to be just to get this set up :(

nsw9154
30-12-14, 15:49
Here is a list of most of the net ID's so try the nearest one to where you live --:eek: sorry loaded the wrong ones try these settings and try the UK Area till you find one nearest to where you live mine is 00010 Teesside

39718 39719 39720 39721 39722 39723

abu baniaz
30-12-14, 16:00
Post a screenshot of your tuner config as it is.

To take screenshot paste the following address in your browser (after changing x to make IP address of receiver)

http://192.168.x.xx/grab?format=jpg
or
http://192.168.x.xx/grab?format=jpg&mode=osd

Change to attached (Don't forget to press green to save)

imish
30-12-14, 16:07
Thanks - did a complete scan successfully and got some of the channels working.

I had to specify the provider under the tuner settings in order to get it to work.

Now using the NETID I will see if I can get ABM to work.

imish
30-12-14, 16:16
Now got ABM working using a NETID closest to me. The trick was the setting in post 22; that made all the difference.

non of the FTA HD channels works - which is a tad strange. The FTA SD channels work fine.

Thanks to all for your help.

Impressed with the Miracle Box - it seems quicker than my VU Solo2 - couple of other gremlins for which i will start separate threads.

abu baniaz
30-12-14, 16:21
There are no FTA HD channels on UK cable, this is why none are there.

ABM does not use the scan settings in post 22. It interacts with the tuner directly.

abu baniaz
30-12-14, 16:25
If you want, you can asssist with getting HD channels using ABM on Terrestrial.
http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?42301-ABM-Terrestrial-HD-%28UK%29-User-input-required

imish
30-12-14, 17:10
If you want, you can asssist with getting HD channels using ABM on Terrestrial.
http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?42301-ABM-Terrestrial-HD-%28UK%29-User-input-required

Sure - will do

hardy27
29-10-15, 23:00
Hi everyone

ive the read the post and i myself cannot get a fix. i have tried the autobouqetmaker (abm) to virgin uk seven kings 41050 and hit scan. says tuner lock.
i checked tuner config for dvb-c tuner and its set to provider virgin media 6952. when i scan in abm i dont anything. the receiver and cable feed works on another receiver.

abu baniaz
30-10-15, 00:50
Common errors/issues are:

More than one tuner cnfugure, but only one has a signal cable
Wrong Net ID
Faulty splitters/cabling/connnections
Poor signal
Receiver wired wrongly

You are meant to attach debug logs for ABM issues. We don't even know what receiver you are uisng.