PDA

View Full Version : which image best for mkv and avi files ?

jjp2701
03-12-10, 15:16
i am trying to play my mkv files and avi files, now mkv play ok except the audio doesnt come through, now avi play all juddering, with sound, so i was wondering which image is the best for these files, and which one does dts downmix, i thought someone would of sorted this issue out on these boxes by now, there is alot of support for images, but not the movie file side, so if one of the teams cracked the movie side problem, then obviously they would be the no1 image ?

alot of forums around r having the same problems with movie files,

deckymckeown
03-12-10, 16:55
Mate there are problems with mkv and avi files on all the images ive tried. I am using vix 1.2, and for mkv, i use mkv2vob (freely available) to convert to avchd format, at no loss of quality and pretty quick for conversion.

When i transfer these files to the vu+ i never have any problems with video/audio and the files play flawlessly.

Could be a temp solution for you for mkv files at least

jjp2701
03-12-10, 17:21
hi decky m8 i tried that programe and done the convert to avchd usb and tried it and it couldnt find it ?

mmcmedia
03-12-10, 17:32
Iam using vti 1.3 and the dts will need converting to ac3 to get the audio to play , i do it all the time with x264 tv proggys , ive found that if the mkv has ac3 you cannot fast forward with the buttons on the bottom you have to use the number keys to advance but if converted to a .ts instead of .x264 you can ff in the normal manor , i to had problems with avi but followed this post herehttp://www.vuplus-support.co.uk/showthread.php?3653-Vlc-player-on-vu-solved!! and now they play flawless.

On a side note it may seem like a ballache but i use a little proggy called tsMuxer & ea3to and i d/l full blurays . Rip the movie file (.m2ts) out , demux it so i end up with a .x264 & .dts file of the film encode the dts to ac3 bout 5-10 mins then assemble it back with tsMuxer creates a .ts file of the bluray film which when xfer'd back to the vu hdd will play just as nice as if youd recorded it yourself atm i have the book of eli which is 22gb and pic quality is awesome

jjp2701
03-12-10, 18:00
at the moment i am playing a mkv with vti 2.2 hope it will play all of it all the way through, i havent converted it at all left it as it is, so touch wood it will be ok, let u know later on

mmcmedia
03-12-10, 18:06
does it have dts or ac3 sound ? and can u ff it with the keys on the bottom ?

jjp2701
03-12-10, 18:18
it is dts and can fast forward, i am playing the movie { up } aat the moment, i tried toy story 3 1080p mkv rip, but played for a while and then it just stopped, now as i am typing this, the movie, up it cuts the sound out for a few seconds every now and again

deckymckeown
03-12-10, 23:15
hi decky m8 i tried that programe and done the convert to avchd usb and tried it and it couldnt find it ?

my settings are as follows mate:
Video transcoding - automatic
Output file extension - automatic
File Splitting - none
Output type - file
Transcoding codec MPEG 2 (fast)

And i also have ALWAYS TRANSCODE DTS CHECKED.These settings work perfectly for me mate, leaving with a file similar in size to the original mkv and i just transfer it to the hard drive and play via media player

EDIT these settings are for mkv2vob of course!