PDA

View Full Version : Vu+ Solo 2 - Switching to Cable

bvinton
22-12-14, 23:24
I currently have a vu+ solo 2 but i'm considering switching to cable tv instead.

I was wondering if I could use this http://www.world-of-satellite.co.uk/USB-Digital-Tuners/Sundtek-MediaTV-Digital-Home-USB-Tuner-Cable-Terrestrial-HD-DVB-C-T-T2
so I don't need to buy a new receiver.

If this would work, would I be able to watch any other channels I wanted while recording or would I be limited.

If I would be limited then that option is out so I'd likely be looking to buy a Duo 2
http://www.world-of-satellite.co.uk/Digital-Satellite-Receivers/Vu/VU-Plus-Duo2-Duo-2-1x-Single-Tuner-DVB-S2-1x-Hybrid-DVB-C-T-HD-Enigma-2-Linux-Satellite-Receiver
Would this be sufficient to watch and record as mentioned above. or would I need to swap out the satellite tuner and add another cable tuner.

Also does anyone know how easy it would be to set up and could I still use the latest vix image I'm using which I think is build 108. I love the vix image and don't want to change. I've read I may need to know a certain frequency, although I have a cable line in my house, I don't currently have a vm tivo box or anything like that, would this cause me a problem.

Lastly does anyone know the difference between the stock cable tuner on the duo 2 and this one http://www.world-of-satellite.co.uk/vu-hybrid-dvb-c-t-t2-tuner-module-uno-ultimo-duo2-duo-2.

sorry for the long post but i've been looking on here for ages and i'm struggling to find the answers. :confused:

Thanks

timofee
23-12-14, 14:59
With the solo2 you need two Cable USB tuners to have watch & record at same time (different channels).

Same with the Duo2 you need two plug in cable tuners to have watch & record at same time (different channels). Rumours are that twin/dual tuners will be released soon.

You can't really ask about setting it up on the premium sports and movie channels on this forum due to rules.

bvinton
23-12-14, 17:24
With the solo2 you need two Cable USB tuners to have watch & record at same time (different channels).

Same with the Duo2 you need two plug in cable tuners to have watch & record at same time (different channels). Rumours are that twin/dual tuners will be released soon.

You can't really ask about setting it up on the premium sports and movie channels on this forum due to rules.

Thanks for the reply.

would be quite expensive for the two usb tuners.

might look into a duo 2
does anyone know if i could ask to get a duo 2 with two cable tuners since they are swapable anyway.

DaMacFunkin
23-12-14, 17:34
Yes you can get a duo2 with 2 internal cable tuners and next year you will be able to get a duo2 with 4 internal cable tuners.

bvinton
23-12-14, 17:39
Might wait till next year then. Any idea is it early or late next year?

Larry-G
23-12-14, 17:42
Thanks for the reply.

would be quite expensive for the two usb tuners.

might look into a duo 2
does anyone know if i could ask to get a duo 2 with two cable tuners since they are swapable anyway.

There are other quad capable receivers available cheaper than the Duo2, have a look at the mut@nt or the gigablue Quad HD plus or the Lx3. All very capable receivers with top notch support and cheaper than the Duo2.

Sent from my iPad Air using Tapatalk

bvinton
23-12-14, 17:52
I think the reason i was obsessed with the duo was because I was really impressed with my solo 2. I did briefly look at the mut@nt but the remote looked awful. It's all about the small details when you watch as much tv as me.

nsw9154
23-12-14, 19:26
The Mut@nts remote is not that bad once you get used to it I liked it from day one, but the record button should be repositioned I have turned the receiver off because it is just below the power button but apart from that no problem :)

bvinton
24-12-14, 23:12
Thank you for the replies. This gives me enough to make a decision. Seems a lot of money mainly just to get the HD channels back so i'll have to think it over.

thanks again and Merry Christmas.

dessoman
28-12-14, 18:52
I have the gigablue quad plus with 2 extra dvb t/c tuners in and its the dogs********

bvinton
02-01-15, 13:24
The Gigablue does look good like. Not as expensive as the Vu either. So are you using all 4 tuners, Is that even possible, i'm way out my depth here.

cactikid
02-01-15, 14:08
as like a skybox hd you have 2 feeds record on 1 watch other,same as cable view 1 watch record other,it gives more options for recordings

timofee
02-01-15, 14:51
With you don't need the two feeds that you need with satellite, but you do need a dual/twin tuner. The cable feed into your house has to be split into two using a simple splitter.

cactikid
02-01-15, 15:20
so you dont need 2 feeds for sat,if you want to record a spare tuner is needed:confused:

timofee
03-01-15, 01:02
For a fully functioning dual satellite system you need two feeds from your dishes. That can either be two separate dishes or a single dish with a dual/twin LNB.

bvinton
03-01-15, 20:40
Would something like this work. 1 input, then one wire out to broadband, other two wires to cable box?

cactikid
03-01-15, 21:25
cable splitter should work but it will reduce your signal down so might depend on strength of signal coming in,:)

bvinton
03-01-15, 23:56
So is there a better way to split the cable that won't reduce the signal, as ideally I don't want it to affect my broadband speed.

timofee
04-01-15, 15:06
If you have a good signal at present the three way splitter will work fine.

It is how VM would install with broadband plus official cable box.

imish
04-01-15, 15:18
The cable feed into your house has to be split into two using a simple splitter.

Strange - With a Tivo box there is one cable feed to 3 inbuilt tuners.