PDA

View Full Version : Are they worth the money?

neo1607
21-12-14, 16:20
I was originally looking at a VU+ Solo2 however browsing the sponsors store I found the GiGaBlue HD 800 SE+ Plus Digital Twin Tuner.

My main things I would like to use it for are obviously for TV but I like the idea of the OpenWebIf plugin to allow steaming to my tablet etc, I know the VU+ Solo2 supports this but would the 800SE+ support it?

Also I assume when it comes with the twin tuner it will give me the ability to watch one channel and record another.

I have been looking about for videos of the interface as well but can't seem to see it anywhere.

Sorry for all the questions :D

john doe
21-12-14, 16:38
Stick with vu solo2

neo1607
21-12-14, 16:51
Stick with vu solo2

I was planning on doing that but with a £90 difference i thought it would make a difference going for the GiGaBlue as im on a budget at the moment lol

nsw9154
21-12-14, 17:30
The TM-Nano 3T seems to be getting good reviews and it also has the 1.3mhz Broadcom Dual processor as used in the Solo2

Andy_Hazza
21-12-14, 18:06
You won't be disappointed with the Vu+ Solo2, and excellent receiver, trust me it will be £90 extra well spent!

neo1607
21-12-14, 18:31
Hmm now im tempted between the TM-Nano 3T and the Vu+ Solo2, might be worth me saving up and getting the latter

jwestwood74
21-12-14, 19:18
I like you was considering the gigablue hd800ue but ended up buying the TM nano2 super which is identical to the TM nano 3t but with 2 tuners instead of three and i cant fault the box mate would highly recommend it saying that the gigablue is a nice box and is so much better priced than the VU+ and personally believe your paying for the name ok its built well but at the end of the day we just want to watch TV and giga and TM will do that with good support for alot less than a VU+

Andy_Hazza
21-12-14, 19:48
Technomate are shocking for support

judge
21-12-14, 19:51

I wouldn't think so. Walk in & telephone support, you won't get that from many manufacturers, including VU.

Andy_Hazza
21-12-14, 19:53
I meant for driver support??

jwestwood74
21-12-14, 19:58
Well I've always found there support spot on

Yes they released initially with bad drivers but they sorted it out so credit to them

At the end of the day we can't all afford to spend £300 - £400 on a box which doesn't really do anymore than a box costing half the price but also has better customer service

neo1607
21-12-14, 20:07
Well the main 2 points I want it having are preferrably enigma2 as I want OpenWebIf for watching it on other devices around the house (if that's what the plugin does, i may be wrong)

And to record one channel while watching another.

If some of the cheaper boxes can do both of those as well as watch TV then im happy paying for that, even though the vu+ solo2 does look nicer lol

jwestwood74
21-12-14, 20:16
In my opinion I would have to say the gigablue 800 UE plus and the quad looks a lot nicer than solo2

At the end of the day all the boxes mentioned in this thread will do exactly what you want you really need to decide whether it's really worth the extra money for a brand name.

neo1607
21-12-14, 20:55
I think i might go for the Technomate TM-Nano-3T over the GiGaBlue, mainly for the fact I can mount a hdd inside rather than have a USB one, also the specs are slightly faster :-)

mann
21-12-14, 21:53
Used both solo 2 and gigablue hd800se..
Gigablue is very slow and awkward drove me crazy just updating the epg took forever but will do the job..the solo2 is a fantastic box very well supported very reliable and would pay the extra for it as it's well worth it.

jwestwood74
21-12-14, 22:00
TM nano is super fast like the vu at updating epg

Larry-G
22-12-14, 17:37
I meant for driver support??

Maybe, but Vu+ are far from the best in terms of driver support, there are many other EU based manufacturers who do a far better job and actually respond when you submit bugs to them, Vu+ are getting as bad if not worse than dreambox multimedia for their shockingly bad support.

Sent from my iPad Air using Tapatalk

nsw9154
22-12-14, 18:16
Vu+ are getting as bad if not worse than dreambox multimedia for their shockingly bad support.

I was really surprise to here that as I always thought that Vu+ would have been one of the best Manufacturers for support, and having a Duo2 rather worried that vix will stop supporting them, I suppose that they might be getting complacent in thinking that any problems are down to someone else and not them as they are regarded as being the Rolls Royce of E2 Receivers people will still buy them :rolleyes: I remember the British Motorbike industry having the same attitude and we all know what happened to them in the 70s

Larry-G
22-12-14, 18:23
I was really surprise to here that as I always thought that Vu+ would have been one of the best Manufacturers for support, and having a Duo2 rather worried that vix will stop supporting them, I suppose that they might be getting complacent in thinking that any problems are down to someone else and not them as they are regarded as being the Rolls Royce of E2 Receivers people will still buy them :rolleyes: I remember the British Motorbike industry having the same attitude and we all know what happened to them in the 70s

no we wont stop supporting Vu+ but we cant move to the new OE with this issue unresolved because if we did you would loose the ability to stream to and from the receiver as well as viewing any media file not created on the receiver.

We are just waiting for Vu+ to get their fingers out and tell us what they are doing, but we wont wait forever for them either. At present we have three options.

1. stop all development on the OE 2.4 image branch (This is our current stance), meaning no updated Gstreamer for any manufacturer.
2. Progress with the OE 2.4 image branch but leave the Vu+ hardware on the OE 2.3 branch (essentially killing support until such a time as Vu+ update Gstreamer).
3. Progress with the OE 2.4 branch for ALL receivers and manufacturers we support (Rendering the Vu's unable to stream and severely hamper their media player support).

Busterroo
22-12-14, 20:39
I wouldn't think so. Walk in & telephone support, you won't get that from many manufacturers, including VU.

Technomate are shocking for support and I don't just mean their drivers, it took them 5 months to replace hardrives their faulty product destroyed.

Sicilian
23-12-14, 09:22

Disagree there, imo they've come good now. In the early days had some issues, but doing extremly well now. They've got no more issues than any other manufacturer has including VU+.

Sicilian
23-12-14, 09:28
I think i might go for the Technomate TM-Nano-3T over the GiGaBlue, mainly for the fact I can mount a hdd inside rather than have a USB one, also the specs are slightly faster :-)

You wont be disappointed, TM-Nano-3T and Nano-2 Super are great imo. Replaced my Solo2 with Nano-3T, actually feels faster and has extra hybrid tuner :)

Andy_Hazza
23-12-14, 09:40
Thanks Judge, Phoenix and Sicilian for clarifying regards Vu+, am really shocked at that regards the support attitude with them. I assumed, along with a lot of other folks, regarded them as the le creme of the creme in terms of satellite receivers and wouldn't have known the issues you are facing and your struggles with them in getting driver issues resolved etc. thank you all for sharing that with us, this is why this forum is the best and why ViX is the best image out by a country mile. ViX thrives on being the best and we are all proud of you guys for giving us a truly amazing image and may I wish it continues for many many more years. You ViX guys are amazing, thank you.

Sicilian
23-12-14, 09:54
Thanks Judge, Phoenix and Sicilian for clarifying regards Vu+, am really shocked at that regards the support attitude with them. I assumed, along with a lot of other folks, regarded them as the le creme of the creme in terms of satellite receivers and wouldn't have known the issues you are facing and your struggles with them in getting driver issues resolved etc. thank you all for sharing that with us, this is why this forum is the best and why ViX is the best image out by a country mile. ViX thrives on being the best and we are all proud of you guys for giving us a truly amazing image and may I wish it continues for many many more years. You ViX guys are amazing, thank you.

Problem is VU+ is they are living on their brand name right now, in terms of development and support they seem to be getting worse. Replies from their driver engineer are getting slower and slower. In all honesty brands like Miraclebox, Golden Interstar, Mutant, Technomate are actually responding faster to issues right now.

brundlefly
02-03-15, 10:57
after reading this thread, im confused what to get, ive always had vu ie, solo, uno, duo and ultimo...decided to change as i want a sat tuner and cable tuner, tm nano 3t, or gigablue hd quad or plus......i see that they both use BCM7356 chip which is 1300Mhz...am i correct..? whats the difference between the top two gigablue boxes ie, quad and plus...??

mann
02-03-15, 11:07
I had one of these receivers and found them to be very slow and sluggish..
Even running Vix..the Picture quality was as good as any vu box but I was frustrated by the sluggish way box would operate and updates for image and epg took forever,A well built box however and looks good..
I would without hesitation go for a vu solo2 or the tm nano oe t2 super which has same processor as solo2 so expect the same fast smooth operation...

iain66
02-03-15, 11:31
I have a UE plus and find it very slow and sluggish compared to my vu

brundlefly
02-03-15, 12:19
so gigablue dont sound very good :( , ive got a uno at the moment might just keep it and swap the tuner for a cable one lol..really wanted something thats similar or better then the the vU range of boxes, with a combo tuner, but not with a hefty price tag...i know thats asking a lot but wouldnt we all like that lol :p

Sicilian
02-03-15, 15:27
so gigablue dont sound very good :( , ive got a uno at the moment might just keep it and swap the tuner for a cable one lol..really wanted something thats similar or better then the the vU range of boxes, with a combo tuner, but not with a hefty price tag...i know thats asking a lot but wouldnt we all like that lol :p

Go for the Technomate TM-Nano-3T.

Larry-G
02-03-15, 17:38
so gigablue dont sound very good

I have a GB Quad and can't fault it, very reliable receiver been running great for months without being powered down once.

divil_a_bit
03-03-15, 10:30
I have a GB Quad+ and since the latest driver release before Christmas, it's been solid as a rock and the annoying driver bugs were fixed.
I find it lightning fast, very responsive.

mikehunt43
03-03-15, 11:16
I have say I also have a quad and has been good as gold for me

den169
03-03-15, 11:51
I have a 3 year old vu+duo genuine box,Its had the red light problem which i managed to fix now the hdmi port has stopped working.For what these cost i would expect them to last a lot longer than this has,Its been in a spare room and has not had a lot of use.I have seen dozens of posts with the same problems,I wouldn't buy another in my opinion they are not worth what they ask,

pando
15-03-15, 22:55
Excellent Forum and Great thread.i am after a combo receiver and was looking at nano t3 or GB hd quad or miracle premium ultra.my aim is to use 2 tuners for cable and rest for sat.T3 nano has 2 sat and 1 cable which not sure if they are changeable and plug and play.
GB looks good with option for 2 plus 2 extra p&p tuners.reviews not that friendly.And miracle looks good with changeable triple tuners BUT not many reviews.
would love to hear more opinions about these receivers before buying one form WOS shop.will run vix image as the good people of WOS flash it for u.

pando
17-03-15, 01:25
Excellent Forum and Great thread.i am after a combo receiver and was looking at nano t3 or GB hd quad or miracle premium ultra.my aim is to use 2 tuners for cable and rest for sat.T3 nano has 2 sat and 1 cable which not sure if they are changeable and plug and play.
GB looks good with option for 2 plus 2 extra p&p tuners.reviews not that friendly.And miracle looks good with changeable triple tuners BUT not many reviews.
would love to hear more opinions about these receivers before buying one form WOS shop.will run vix image as the good people of WOS flash it for u.
could someone please shed some light on above or is the question in wrong section.
thankyou

judge
17-03-15, 01:36
could someone please shed some light on above or is the question in wrong section.
thankyou

Current TM supported boxes won't suit your needs if you need 2 DVB-C tuners.
Have a look at the Mutant boxes, don't have one myself but gets good reviews.
http://www.world-of-satellite.co.uk/Mutant