PDA

View Full Version : Erratic dish motor

dmgp
18-12-14, 16:26
Within the last year I have replaced the 'superjack' actuator, the 'G Box v2000' and re-cabled with new 4 core cable. Sometimes the dish moves and the counter increments,( this shows the reed switch is working ? ) sometimes it goes where it's supposed to, sometimes it misses and often it won't move at all and shows E2 error .These faults occur whether using the dedicated R/C or the inbuilt DisEqc in my VU+Duo. The swivels and mountings on the mount are all free moving as is the dish ( A 1.2 mtr Wineguard )
I'm getting a bit long in the tooth to keep getting on and off the garage roof, so if anybody has any ideas they would be most welcome.
TIA

dmgp

girginoz
18-12-14, 19:10
IMHO E2 error in your case shows that reed sensor diode (or whatever its name) is damaged or its wiring is loose.

Alec
20-12-14, 13:21
IMHO E2 error in your case shows that reed sensor diode (or whatever its name) is damaged or its wiring is loose.

It could also be water in the system.

dmgp
20-12-14, 18:11
Thanks Alec, cable is new from G-box to dish, have WD40'd inside end of Superjack, no signs of water, I haven't yet changed the reed, could it be a bit mis-aligned with the rotating magnet ? Sometimes it will refuse to go one click in either direction but the following morning I can drive it to both limits and then it will stop somewhere. Neither motor or G-box are more than 6 mths old. I have been running the system for over 20 years and have never had a problem like this before. Don't want to scrap it all and go DiSeqC route.

Alec
21-12-14, 13:46
If it stops when in manual operation and there is no limits activated; there should be nothing telling the Sat box to end output. That is the Gbox limits setup ,and any receiver limits setup, or Superjack limit setup. If it was warmer I would suggest taking Sat and Gbox outside if practical and test it with another lead as near as possible to the dish.