PDA

View Full Version : Some ideas to improve the Graphical EPG screen

Pages : [1] 2

markus625
18-12-14, 11:39
Guys just throwing up some ideas that I think would improve the Graphical EPG screen.

1: When navigating the epg pressing the OK key would now either zap or zap and exit the epg, I propose a context menu popup with three or more options of Watch,Record,Add Auto Timer,
maybe other options like TVDB and TMDB, IMDB perhaps

2: Add an option to access recordings via the red button instead of the imdb function which is only good for movies really and not general tv programs, at the moment the only way of accessing recordings or pvr is through the dedicated pvr key.

3: Use either the blue or green key to change bouquets, the only way to do this within the guide is to use the dedicated TV key on the original remote but no way of doing this using a tv remote if your using the cec functionality which many do.

Was looking at doing a mockup using the above if you guys think the above suggestions would be good to implement.

abu baniaz
18-12-14, 11:49
3. < and > (next to 0) do this.

markus625
18-12-14, 11:59

Yes with the original remote not a tv remote using cec, the tv key brings up a menu

rossi2000
18-12-14, 12:03
1. in the menu settings you can change what the OK button does, zap or zap and exit, the context menu sounds a good idea. press blue for the context menu, and can move the addtimer/autotimers/imdb in there like you say. red button for recordings. stuff could be added to the list depending on what youve got installed. TMDB, TVDB etc.

birdman
18-12-14, 12:11
Context-sensitive key binding set-ups might be a better way to handle this?

You can already set keys to handle the functions you want, but not in a context-sensitive way, only "globally".

markus625
18-12-14, 12:12
1. in the menu settings you can change what the OK button does, zap or zap and exit, the context menu sounds a good idea. press blue for the context menu, and can move the addtimer/autotimers/imdb in there like you say. red button for recordings. stuff could be added to the list depending on what youve got installed. TMDB, TVDB etc.

I was actually saying press the ok button and a menu would pop up freeing up some of the coloured buttons for other things.

abu baniaz
18-12-14, 12:22
Just realised my TV remote does not have these buttons.[emoji45]

rossi2000
18-12-14, 12:24
ahh right so press ok to call the context menu. im not sure about that one, ok should maybe be kept to just ok onto a channel but pressing another button like blue to bring up the context menu to choose other options, sounds abit better imo.
i like this idea but getting it implemented is another thing.

bbbuk
18-12-14, 13:47
1: When navigating the epg pressing the OK key would now either zap or zap and exit the epg, I propose a context menu popup with three or more options of Watch,Record,Add Auto Timer, maybe other options like TVDB and TMDB, IMDB perhapsI personally agree with rossi the ok button be left as it is but use another coloured button instead for context-sensitive options.

2: Add an option to access recordings via the red button instead of the imdb function which is only good for movies really and not general tv programs, at the moment the only way of accessing recordings or pvr is through the dedicated pvr key.You can already change the assignment of buttons via menu settings as I've set, on my solo2, red button as PVR (as well as the dedicatated PVR button I have) and < > as channel up/down. I'm not sure if they work from within EPG listings though or if it's whilst watching TV (live) only!!!

If it's the latter then it would be nice to pick/choose what each coloured button from the EPG can do rather than having red for IMDB, etc. I do use, and like, the Blue for AutoTimer though.

I don't use IMDB but of course some may do.

rossi2000
18-12-14, 13:54
I personally agree with rossi the ok button be left as it is but use another coloured button instead for context-sensitive options.

You can already change the assignment of buttons via menu settings as I've set, on my solo2, red button as PVR (as well as the dedicatated PVR button I have) and < > as channel up/down. I'm not sure if they work from within EPG listings though or if it's whilst watching TV (live) only!!!

If it's the latter then it would be nice to pick/choose what each coloured button from the EPG can do rather than having red for IMDB, etc. I do use, and like, the Blue for AutoTimer though.

I don't use IMDB but of course some may do.

ye i think those button assignments maybe for the infobar only. im not 100% on that though, i never use the function.

TK4|2|1
18-12-14, 14:21
It would be a lot better if they would allow all epg buttons to be remapped to individual tasts, then People wouldn't have to use cooltvguide. I mean who uses IMDb search anyway? 3 different ways to set a timer?? Not needed in my opinion. Channel up & Down are a move natural and logic way to page up & down.
But we can only dream.

Sent by pressing the screen on 1 of my Apple devices, cuz that's how I roll.

Rob van der Does
19-12-14, 17:44
Just realised my TV remote does not have these buttons.[emoji45]
That's one of the reasons using a TV-RC for an STB doesn't seem to be a good idea.
Get yourself a Harmony and you'll see a much better solution.

Larry-G
19-12-14, 17:47
That's one of the reasons using a TV-RC for an STB doesn't seem to be a good idea.
Get yourself a Harmony and you'll see a much better solution.

I whole heartily agree. I just for the first time in nearly two years tried to use the original Vu+ Ultimo remote and within ten minutes took the batteries out and put it back in the box in favor of my Harmony 600.

markus625
23-12-14, 16:14
Heres something ive designed that would fit the bill, based on youview.

rossi2000
23-12-14, 17:11
green timers would be in shortcuts wouldnt it?

markus625
23-12-14, 17:37
Just depends what we want the colored buttons to do.

stewartie4
13-01-15, 04:05
It would be a lot better if they would allow all epg buttons to be remapped to individual tasts, then People wouldn't have to use cooltvguide. I mean who uses IMDb search anyway? 3 different ways to set a timer?? Not needed in my opinion. Channel up & Down are a move natural and logic way to page up & down.
But we can only dream.

+1000 to that!
It would be fantastic if we could map the coloured buttons on the EPG to do different things! IMDB search is not going to be used by 90% of people, but page up/down or recordings is! which brings me to.....

Heres something ive designed that would fit the bill, based on youview.

How the heck did you remap those buttons? lol

judge
13-01-15, 11:09
How the heck did you remap those buttons? lol

No buttons remapped there.

stewartie4
13-01-15, 15:01
red goes to recordings, green goes to timers, yellow does a search and blue goes to shortcus

rossi2000
13-01-15, 15:22
That's not been done

Walt
13-01-15, 15:31
I agree with the channel up and down button to page up and down, would be great if that could be implemented.

Larry-G
13-01-15, 15:44
red goes to recordings, green goes to timers, yellow does a search and blue goes to shortcus
It has not actually been coded, that image is just a visual representation of what he wanted to achieve.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

stewartie4
13-01-15, 17:22

It has not actually been coded, that image is just a visual representation of what he wanted to achieve.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Ah I see, well would remapping the colour buttons to something more useful be possible in future?

markus625
13-01-15, 20:26
Is there any progress on this guys, would be great if we could all agree on something.

stewartie4
14-01-15, 04:57
Is there any progress on this guys, would be great if we could all agree on something.

I think the jist of 2 of your points is an ability to change what the colour buttons do. That, I think a lot of people here agree with. "view recordings" or "page down" is much more useful than "IMDB search"

TK4|2|1
14-01-15, 08:12
I think the jist of 2 of your points is an ability to change what the colour buttons do. That, I think a lot of people here agree with. "view recordings" or "page down" is much more useful than "IMDB search"

They don't need to have a set function, they should be customizable to any function the user feels suits their needs. I have red button set to bring up bouquet, chnl + & chnl- page up and down. (Using CoolTVGuide until Vix can hopefully implement this)

Sent by pressing the screen on 1 of my Apple devices, cuz that's how I roll..

stewartie4
14-01-15, 17:39
They don't need to have a set function, they should be customizable to any function the user feels suits their needs. I have red button set to bring up bouquet, chnl + & chnl- page up and down. (Using CoolTVGuide until Vix can hopefully implement this)

That's exactly what I mean! I'm surprised this isn't an option already!

stewartie4
25-01-15, 04:37
I thought i'd bump this thread again to hopefully get it noticed, as remapping the colour buttons on the EPG would be a great future feature!

matt007
13-02-15, 00:32
I have managed to change what the colour buttons do but currently I just remapped them to other existing things in the epg such as make colored buttons (yellow and blue) +/- 24hrs so I can free up the channel +/- buttons to do something else - hopefully page up/down if I get the time. The way I did it was by editting the python files on the box and not through the skin files. This way the buttons can display the correct label as well.

bbbuk
13-02-15, 12:08
Yes, I also think it's a good idea. I would like to do what @matt007 has done and use two of the coloured buttons when viewing the EPG to be used for the +/- 24hrs instead of having to use channel +/-.

@Matt007, is it easy to re-map green and yellow buttons whilst viewing the EPG to be used for +24 hrs and -24 hrs respectively?

Is there anyway to also then re-map channel +/- to page up/down instead?

matt007
13-02-15, 13:11
Yes, I also think it's a good idea. I would like to do what @matt007 has done and use two of the coloured buttons when viewing the EPG to be used for the +/- 24hrs instead of having to use channel +/-.

@Matt007, is it easy to re-map green and yellow buttons whilst viewing the EPG to be used for +24 hrs and -24 hrs respectively?

Is there anyway to also then re-map channel +/- to page up/down instead?

I'll write up a quick guide if I get some time tonight hopefully

matt007
13-02-15, 13:30
Just a quick update. I have managed to make ch +/- buttons to jump up/down a page. So will post a guide for mapping the colours to +/-24hrs and and channel +/- buttons to page up/down

TK4|2|1
13-02-15, 16:19
Won't all the changes get reverted with an image update?

rossi2000
13-02-15, 16:32
they surely will!

matt007
13-02-15, 16:50
Yep! But if people can know how to map them then its not a big deal re doing

bbbuk
13-02-15, 19:50
Yep! But if people can know how to map them then its not a big deal re doingNot for me as I could copy the keymap.xml file back over again from a copy I would keep on laptop (I do something similar now with the autotimers). I try to avoid doing setting restore when updating.

I assume the file is in "/usr/share/engima2/"

I'm not certain what section I alter as there are obviously a few sections in that xml file.

Does the label for the key automatically change or is that hard-coded within another .py(o) file?

matt007
13-02-15, 23:06
The changes I made are to do with the relevant python file and not the keymap.xml. But if you can code then its just a case of copying and pasting the relevant code into your relevant python file - assuming a new image doesnt change the structure of the file. If you are not keen on coding then I can send you my file with instructions on how to get it working. Im not sure if I should mess about with the keymap.xml file seeing as I have got it to work by hard coding within a python file. Is this a bad thing?

judge
13-02-15, 23:43
You could also add any modded files to the backup manager so they're restored after an update.
Best to post your changes though so they can be added to the image if done correctly.

birdman
14-02-15, 03:14
You could also add any modded files to the backup manager so they're restored after an update.Which could cause a problem if the "official" file gets updated.
Better to keep your own copy and check for any changes in the git master before re-installing your fix.

Larry-G
14-02-15, 07:45
Which could cause a problem if the "official" file gets updated.
Better to keep your own copy and check for any changes in the git master before re-installing your fix.

Many of the images default files can be overridden with a user file placed in /etc/enigma2/ including skin alterations, I cant go into specifics as I am not that familiar with the process but I can give a example.

The image comes with a default satellites.xml file located in /etc/tuxbox/ this file is frequently updated as part of the image update process. however if you place a satellites.xml file into the /etc/enigma2/ directory the image will default to this file and while the master file will still be updated with a image update, the user file you placed in /etc/enigma2/ will not. If at a later date you choose to use the default file again, just delete the user file and reboot the receiver.

As I said the same is true for skin modifications but I am not 100 percent sure of the format needed for those files.

markus625
14-02-15, 15:59
Going back to the original idea of having access to the recordings via the red button etc is this sonething that can be agreed upon for the Vix image or are we going to get into modding python files which could end up with broken images .

bbbuk
15-02-15, 11:42
Going back to the original idea of having access to the recordings via the red button etc is this sonething that can be agreed upon for the Vix image or are we going to get into modding python files which could end up with broken images .Although my Solo2 has a dedicated EPG button I use Button Setup (within menus) to assign graphical mutliEPG (I think it's called) to the red button.

Could it not be possible to allow more control over what the coloured buttons do whilst displaying the EPG from within a new menu system or incorporated within Button Setup menu?

This would allow full control over all 4 buttons.

Obviously this, ideally, would need to be incorporated into the image itself rather than having to keep modding files.

This is just my thought.

bbbuk
15-02-15, 11:49
The changes I made are to do with the relevant python file and not the keymap.xml. But if you can code then its just a case of copying and pasting the relevant code into your relevant python file - assuming a new image doesnt change the structure of the file. If you are not keen on coding then I can send you my file with instructions on how to get it working. Im not sure if I should mess about with the keymap.xml file seeing as I have got it to work by hard coding within a python file. Is this a bad thing?I have experience with coding but not python (more VB and VBA) but I noticed the structure of python is a little similar to that of VB/VBA.

If you can point me in the direction of which file (and where it's stored) I need to edit and I shall take a look and see if I can work it out.

I realise any update will overwrite this file or files but I shall just keep a copy of file(s) on my laptop and copy it back again after an update.

rossi2000
15-02-15, 12:08
yo

here is the EPGSelection.py
https://github.com/OpenViX/enigma2/blob/master/lib/python/Screens/EpgSelection.py

and then here is the EPGList.py
https://github.com/OpenViX/enigma2/blob/master/lib/python/Components/EpgList.py

matt007
26-02-15, 22:42
The colour buttons can be programmed and labelled in the EpgSelection.py file. If you want the buttons to be different for just the graphical EPG and remain same for other EPGs then just add an If statement to check if self.type ==EPG_TYPE_GRAPH and add the new button mapping code within that statement (linking each button action to the relevant method). If you need more help then just give me a shout.

If I am home this weekend then I will share my code/file for everyone to use. I have managed to make the following changes:

Red button: popup with extra options such as IMDb serch, EPG serch, add timer/auto timer
Green button: shows recordings (movie list)
Green button long press: shows timer list
Yellow button: -24hrs
Blue button: +24hrs
Ch+: page up
Ch-: page down.

bbbuk
26-02-15, 22:59
I changed mine as well. I've got it as:-

Red +24hrs
Green -24hrs
Yellow Timer
Blue AutoTimer (default anyhow I'm sure it was)

I weren't sure on what to do to change Ch+/- to page up/down (respectively)

Slightly off-topic but i'm wanting to add channel numbers when viewing graphical epg. So instead of it reading [picon] BBC One N West......, it reads [picon] 101 BBC One N West...... I couldn't see this being in the same file as coloured buttons.

abu baniaz
26-02-15, 23:19
You cannot select a chanenl using numbers from EPG, this is why numbers were not catered for in the EPG screens as far as I can work out.

Lraizer's AB 28.2 attaches number to name, so that could be a work around.

TK4|2|1
27-02-15, 10:19
If Vix don't implement this into their image, perhaps someone could write a plugin?

rossi2000
27-02-15, 11:17
The colour buttons can be programmed and labelled in the EpgSelection.py file. If you want the buttons to be different for just the graphical EPG and remain same for other EPGs then just add an If statement to check if self.type ==EPG_TYPE_GRAPH and add the new button mapping code within that statement (linking each button action to the relevant method). If you need more help then just give me a shout.

If I am home this weekend then I will share my code/file for everyone to use. I have managed to make the following changes:

Red button: popup with extra options such as IMDb serch, EPG serch, add timer/auto timer
Green button: shows recordings (movie list)
Green button long press: shows timer list
Yellow button: -24hrs
Blue button: +24hrs
Ch+: page up
Ch-: page down.

can you show a screenshot of the red button function?

matt007
27-02-15, 12:09
can you show a screenshot of the red button function?

I just took this screenshot right now showing the red button being pressed on the first event on BBC One

Edit: I had to add a new element to your skin by the way so it was not just modifying the .py file

bbbuk
27-02-15, 16:42
You cannot select a chanenl using numbers from EPG, this is why numbers were not catered for in the EPG screens as far as I can work out...I didn't want to select a channel from EPG just display the channel number before the channel name. Like matt007 has done (below).

Edit: I had to add a new element to your skin by the way so it was not just modifying the .py fileThanks for this matt007. I want channel number before channel name like that. Could you maybe upload the .pyo file(s) you've modified for these features and I shall implement it.

Thanks again.

rossi2000
27-02-15, 16:47
upload what u got, and we can prob add this to the main image with some discussion from other beta testers etc.
but looks very good.

will your red button function append any extra plugins to the list like TMDB? if the user has them installed

bbbuk
27-02-15, 20:02
upload what u got, and we can prob add this to the main image with some discussion from other beta testers etc.
but looks very good.

will your red button function append any extra plugins to the list like TMDB? if the user has them installedJust a thought if this info, if implemented, could be taken from a customised/settings type (xml) file. Options available being able to be chosen from within menu button setup (maybe)?

Just a thought, that's all.

matt007
28-02-15, 16:01
Hi all,

I have managed to modify the graphical epg screen to add features I feel would improve the user experience. As well as modifying the colour and channel +/- buttons as mentioned in earlier posts, I have also added a search number feature (allows you to enter a number to find a channel), a list of your bouquets which you can flip through and finally channel numbers that stay consistent despite whatever bouquet you are on. To elaborate on the last feature, I have assumed that the first bouquet for everyone is "All Channels" which has the desired numbers. Subsequent bouquets have channels whose numbers now match the relevant numbers from the "All Channels" bouquet.

Below are some screenshots showing the search number feature in action:

The following screenshots show how the channel numbers remain the same despite what bouquet you are in:

I know certain bouquet providers change the channel names to include a number prefix which means that it achieves the effect as my tweak. However my tweak will allow you to have consistent channel numbers which do not rely on people changing the names of 100s of channels.

Also, in relation to the red option button. I have added a nifty feature where if the event is empty then instead of the red button bringing up an options menu, it changes to a search function. This is because the option menu contains options such as timer, auto timer etc and this is pointless if the event is empty. This can be seen in the below screenshots:

Before I release the files for people to use I was wondering if I can get a few people to test this for me. I am quite new to the Enigma2 scene, have only had my box for a few weeks so feel like I need a few experienced users to test this for me.

abu baniaz
28-02-15, 16:19
EPG screen usually opens the bouquet from which the channel was last selected.

Post the files here as that will be best coverage for it, include the fie locations for ease of use. Uploading .py is not a good idea as they recompile on restart, so best to upload .pyos instead

markus625
28-02-15, 17:09
This is awesome guys, can't wait to try it out.

bbbuk
28-02-15, 17:24
@matt007, thank you very much for this.

I would prefer source code (ie .py) though for two reasons:-

1. So I can learn more about python and how you did it
2. I may see if I can re-order the options from red button. ie putting most likely used options first like "set timer", "set autotimer" and then least used like imdb, etc.

Would I be correct in thinking that although I mostly use blue hd skin, this feature isn't skin dependent?

birdman
28-02-15, 17:29
To elaborate on the last feature, I have assumed that the first bouquet for everyone is "All Channels" which has the desired numbers.I don't have an "All Channels", so is that optional?

markus625
28-02-15, 17:32
@matt007, thank you very much for this.

I would prefer source code (ie .py) though for two reasons:-

1. So I can learn more about python and how you did it
2. I may see if I can re-order the options from red button. ie putting most likely used options first like "set timer", "set autotimer" and then least used like imdb, etc.

Would I be correct in thinking that although I mostly use blue hd skin, this feature isn't skin dependent?

Me too.
I think you can delete the py file once it has rebooted and updated the pyo file.

bbbuk
28-02-15, 17:43
Me too.
I think you can delete the py file once it has rebooted and updated the pyo file.You can, yes.

I don't have an "All Channels", so is that optional?I guess that is something that would have to be tested and maybe even coded for.

I use All Channels as I find it easier and have the normal sectional bouquets as well but not HD or FTA bouquets.

markus625
28-02-15, 18:03
What do you guys think of a search function by keyword ie you cant find where itv2+1 is so you search for itv or itv2 to bring up the available options

bbbuk
28-02-15, 18:43
What do you guys think of a search function by keyword ie you cant find where itv2+1 is so you search for itv or itv2 to bring up the available optionsThat would be good as well. Would that be added to Mark007 red button as another option do you think?

markus625
28-02-15, 19:10
That would be good as well. Would that be added to Mark007 red button as another option do you think?

Not sure, would u be able to pm me the py files so I can test the new features.

TK4|2|1
28-02-15, 19:51
Hi all,

I have managed to modify the graphical epg screen to add features I feel would improve the user experience. As well as modifying the colour and channel +/- buttons as mentioned in earlier posts, I have also added a search number feature (allows you to enter a number to find a channel), a list of your bouquets which you can flip through and finally channel numbers that stay consistent despite whatever bouquet you are on. To elaborate on the last feature, I have assumed that the first bouquet for everyone is "All Channels" which has the desired numbers. Subsequent bouquets have channels whose numbers now match the relevant numbers from the "All Channels" bouquet.

Below are some screenshots showing the search number feature in action:

The following screenshots show how the channel numbers remain the same despite what bouquet you are in:

I know certain bouquet providers change the channel names to include a number prefix which means that it achieves the effect as my tweak. However my tweak will allow you to have consistent channel numbers which do not rely on people changing the names of 100s of channels.

Also, in relation to the red option button. I have added a nifty feature where if the event is empty then instead of the red button bringing up an options menu, it changes to a search function. This is because the option menu contains options such as timer, auto timer etc and this is pointless if the event is empty. This can be seen in the below screenshots:

Before I release the files for people to use I was wondering if I can get a few people to test this for me. I am quite new to the Enigma2 scene, have only had my box for a few weeks so feel like I need a few experienced users to test this for me.

This guy needs to be on the image team.

birdman
01-03-15, 03:50
Me too.
I think you can delete the py file once it has rebooted and updated the pyo file.
You can, yes.But that also means you'll lose it all at the next update if the packaged with the "real" *.pyo file gets updated - so keep it around in order that you may put it back for a later recompile.

I don't have an "All Channels", so is that optional?
I guess that is something that would have to be tested and maybe even coded for.

I use All Channels as I find it easier and have the normal sectional bouquets as well but not HD or FTA bouquets.I create my own bouquet files, so that I can put all of the Freeview (incl. HD) channels onto their standard channel numbers (ABM may do this now, but it didn't a few months ago). It also means that my Radio and TV bouquets are the same (they each contain both...)

judge
01-03-15, 04:13
Not a single py file uploaded to this thread, how can anyone expect any code to be tested or even added to the image?
Currently, no one can even help to improve or implement any of the ideas suggested.

bbbuk
01-03-15, 09:46
I create my own bouquet files, so that I can put all of the Freeview (incl. HD) channels onto their standard channel numbers (ABM may do this now, but it didn't a few months ago). It also means that my Radio and TV bouquets are the same (they each contain both...)Sky UK (SD) swaps SD channels for HD channels for those channels that work.

Not a single py file uploaded to this thread, how can anyone expect any code to be tested or even added to the image?
Currently, no one can even help to improve or implement any of the ideas suggested.All I did was change function of red and green key so that EPG goes 24+/- in my code so it's not worth uploading my code as it's nothing compared to the work @matt007 has done.

@matt007, when you get a chance can you upload your py code so it can be tested and possibly implemented into the image itself. Thank you.

TK4|2|1
01-03-15, 16:46
@bbbuk I'd be interested in your code. All I'm after is changing red to show bouquets and channel +&- to page up and down, not really bothered about extra popup menu like matt007's

bbbuk
01-03-15, 20:26
@bbbuk I'd be interested in your code. All I'm after is changing red to show bouquets and channel +&- to page up and down, not really bothered about extra popup menu like matt007's..Attached as requested. Remember all I did was change what the first three coloured buttons do.

markus625
01-03-15, 20:51
Was is It matt007 who came up with green showing recordings.

bbbuk
02-03-15, 09:58
Was is It matt007 who came up with green showing recordings.I wasn't aware of green showing recordings. I'm not sure what you mean?

Matt007 has changed the coloured buttons, multi-options available on selected event, channel numbers before name and allowing entry of channel number from epg screen to jump to it.

Larry-G
02-03-15, 10:12
Matt007 has changed the coloured buttons, multi-options available on selected event, channel numbers before name and allowing entry of channel number from epg screen to jump to it.

Yes and I don't mean to sound rude but if you want that code included in the image we are going to need him to upload it here or if pass it on some other way either directly to a member of the team or via the GIT. without it this thread is pretty much useless.

markus625
02-03-15, 11:07
Whered Matt007 gone, it's all gone quiet.

bbbuk
02-03-15, 14:10
Whered Matt007 gone, it's all gone quiet.I noticed he hasn't been on for few days. He may be working or something.

Hopefully when he's back he can upload the .py files :)

matt007
03-03-15, 15:30
Hi guys! Im really sorry for the delay - Personal life got a bit hectic, not to mention I work full time and this is just a hobby to give back to the community.

Here are the files. I have included the .pyo file instead of the .py file for the reason stated above by Abu Baniaz.

@bbbuk - I realise you want the .py file as you want your colours buttons to be set up a bit differently. It will become a bit messy if we deal with that in this thread so I am more than happy to go through the source with you outside this thread (PM perhaps) and help you get your buttons working.

Whilst the functionality is coded in the python files, the visual side is always down to the skin. As a result I have only made this work with my current skin which is Blue HD v3. There is no reason why it cannot work on any other skin - just requires a few elements to be added to the skins xml file.

Please back up your original files before replacing them with the ones below.

The files:

EpgSelection.pyo - This contains coding for the new functionality. Place this inside /usr/lib/enigma2/python/Screens

skin_Blue-HD.xml - This contains new elements that will allow you to see the added features. Place this inside /usr/share/enigma2/Blue-HD

epg.png - I modified the look of the epg screen to incorporate the list of bouquets next to the current bouquet. Place this inside /usr/share/enigma2/Blue-HD/infobar

What has been modified?

Red Button:
If event is present then it will display a options dialog with the following options:
1) IMDb Search
2) Add Timer (or Change Timer if timer has already been added for that event)
3) Add AutoTimer
4) Search

If event is not present then the red button will just turn into a search button as it doesnt make sense retaining options such as Add Timer, Add AutoTimer if an event is not present.

Green Button:
Short Press - Brings up your recordings
Long Press - Brings up your timer list

Yellow Button:
Minus 24 hours

Blue Button
Plus 24 hours

Channel +:
Goes up a page

Channel -:
Goes down a page

< and >:
They switch through your bouquet list as before - No changes there. However with the new bouquet list element I have added, you can see the list being scrolled through - Just a user experience improvement (well for me at least!).

Numbers 0-9:
Allows you to search for a channel. As you are typing, if your channel number exists then the channel name will appear. Pressing OK will go to that channel in the EPG. Waiting for a few seconds does the same.

I decided to leave out the numbering of the channels as I feel it will get quite messy as my code required the first bouquet in your list to contain all of the channels with the correct numbers. It seems to me not everyone has set up their bouquets like that so things will just get messy.

Let me know of any bugs or issues. As I said before, I am pretty new to the enigma2 scene, having just got a box a few weeks ago so would appreciate any feedback.

Download:
Upload removed. See further along thread for later version.

Edit: Once I get time, I will modify other skins so it can work with them too.

rossi2000
03-03-15, 15:43
can you upload the py please.
a pyo is only good for users, not for dev.

bbbuk
03-03-15, 17:04
Thanks for the work you have done on this.

@bbbuk - I realise you want the .py file as you want your colours buttons to be set up a bit differently. It will become a bit messy if we deal with that in this thread so I am more than happy to go through the source with you outside this thread (PM perhaps) and help you get your buttons working.I'm happy with your colour buttons but I would still like source .py file as I would like to change order of the red button whilst on an event. My preference would be "Add Timer", "Add AutoTimer".... as I think the timer options would be used more often than imdb.

I decided to leave out the numbering of the channels as I feel it will get quite messy as my code required the first bouquet in your list to contain all of the channels with the correct numbers. It seems to me not everyone has set up their bouquets like that so things will just get messy.I would like this option as I do display all bouquets. Could you, when you have time, PM me the code (and file location) so that I could get this working.

Is it not possible to check somehow to see if "All channels" is used and if so show channel numbers, otherwise don't (ie within If statement)?

matt007
03-03-15, 18:33
Is it not possible to check somehow to see if "All channels" is used and if so show channel numbers, otherwise don't (ie within If statement)?

There doesnt have to be a bouquet called "All Channels". The requirement is that the first bouquet in the list has to contain all of the channels with the correct numbers, irrespective of the bouquet name. The reason why this is a requirement is more to do with my assumption. As I have used ABM to make my bouquets automatically, it made the first bouquet contain all of the channels with the desired numbers. So as a result of this I thought everyone had a similar set up. Hence why I decided to leave it out as things will just get messy.

rossi2000
03-03-15, 19:19
matt please upload the py,
pyos are pretty useless :)

Peterj
03-03-15, 19:24
There doesnt have to be a bouquet called "All Channels". The requirement is that the first bouquet in the list has to contain all of the channels with the correct numbers, irrespective of the bouquet name. The reason why this is a requirement is more to do with my assumption. As I have used ABM to make my bouquets automatically, it made the first bouquet contain all of the channels with the desired numbers. So as a result of this I thought everyone had a similar set up. Hence why I decided to leave it out as things will just get messy.

So you are not using the channel numbers of the bouquet in use, but the one in top of the list?
That doesn't seems logic. You can have a lot of bouquets (different providers) with the same channel numbers.
Or I misunderstood you.

matt007
03-03-15, 21:01
matt please upload the py,
pyos are pretty useless :)

Will do mate. Won't have access to my laptop until tomorrow at least now

bbbuk
03-03-15, 21:22
So you are not using the channel numbers of the bouquet in use, but the one in top of the list?
That doesn't seems logic. You can have a lot of bouquets (different providers) with the same channel numbers.
Or I misunderstood you.If I understand correctly what matt is referring to then that is channel numbers of the current bouquet may not be the actual real-life channel numbers due to how the bouquets are created. For example, when I go to my Movies bouquet now, channel numbers aren't 301+ but actually 1374+. Unless I go into all channels bouquet (generally first one) and scroll all they way down then movies will begin at 301 then. In other words the correct channel numbers are only listed in a users all channels bouquet.

Therefore, if a user doesn't have their "all channels" bouquet as their first bouquet (or maybe doesn't have it at all) then including channel numbers would be misleading as in my case movies would be channel 1374 onwards which is incorrect.

This is only how I interpreted it.

For info, I use Sky UK (SD) and enable "all channels" bouquet as well as "sectional bouquet".

matt007
04-03-15, 00:17
If I understand correctly what matt is referring to then that is channel numbers of the current bouquet may not be the actual real-life channel numbers due to how the bouquets are created. For example, when I go to my Movies bouquet now, channel numbers aren't 301+ but actually 1374+. Unless I go into all channels bouquet (generally first one) and scroll all they way down then movies will begin at 301 then. In other words the correct channel numbers are only listed in a users all channels bouquet.

Therefore, if a user doesn't have their "all channels" bouquet as their first bouquet (or maybe doesn't have it at all) then including channel numbers would be misleading as in my case movies would be channel 1374 onwards which is incorrect.

This is only how I interpreted it.

For info, I use Sky UK (SD) and enable "all channels" bouquet as well as "sectional bouquet".

Spot on. The tweak needs to know what the original channel numbers are so unless you have a bouquet with all of the channels with the correct numbers then it wont work. For example. I use ABM to generate Sky SD channels. So I get bouquets such as "All Channels", "Movies", "Sports" etc. The numbering of the channels in the first bouquet (All Channels) is how I like it - in Sky order. But the sectional bouquets have numbers in the 1000s. For example BBC One is 101 in the first bouquet but in the entertainment bouquet it is say 1001 (dont remember exactly). My tweak makes the numbers consistent so that all of the channels in the other sectional bouquets have the original numbers from the All Channels bouquet.

I realise there may be issues because not everyone has their bouquets set up this way. Which is why I decided to leave it out so that things dont get messy.

matt007
04-03-15, 00:30
I know you guys are waiting for the .py files, but has anyone managed to test it?

judge
04-03-15, 00:43
My tweak makes the numbers consistent so that all of the channels in the other sectional bouquets have the original numbers from the All Channels bouquet.

I realise there may be issues because not everyone has their bouquets set up this way. Which is why I decided to leave it out so that things dont get messy.

Old gen boxes can be slow on bringing up an all channels EPG screen, so some folks have a reason not to generate it.
Is there a reason to make the numbers consistent across other generated bouquets as those channel numbers also work?
In your example, BBC1 on 101 & on 1001 would also work as number inputs.

And, yes. Please upload the py when you get a chance.

matt007
04-03-15, 00:55
Old gen boxes can be slow on bringing up an all channels EPG screen, so some folks have a reason not to generate it.
Is there a reason to make the numbers consistent across other generated bouquets as those channel numbers also work?
In your example, BBC1 on 101 & on 1001 would also work as number inputs.

And, yes. Please upload the py when you get a chance.

For me personally, it was down to user experience. I came over from a Sky HD box where the channels were numbered same regardless of the sections they were in so I was looking to replicate that experience somewhat. I felt if the numbers were consistent then a user wont know any alternative numbers, so in the event they entered the 1001, its no big deal, but the chances of them entering 1001 will be very slim if the bouquets had consistent numbering.

judge
04-03-15, 01:00
For me personally, it was down to user experience. I came over from a Sky HD box where the channels were numbered same regardless of the sections they were in so I was looking to replicate that experience somewhat. I felt if the numbers were consistent then a user wont know any alternative numbers, so in the event they entered the 1001, its no big deal, but the chances of them entering 1001 will be very slim if the bouquets had consistent numbering.

Maybe worth uploading the py with number input too so others can help achieve the desired result when all channels bouquet isn't generated.
Saying that, a SKY box is extremely limited compared to an E2 box, so little point in trying to mimic their functionality.

birdman
04-03-15, 02:20
Spot on. The tweak needs to know what the original channel numbers are so unless you have a bouquet with all of the channels with the correct numbers then it wont work. There is some definitive channel number information around somewhere, as if you press the number keys whilst watching a channel you can get to that numeric channel (and the channel you will get to with the keys so far pressed is displayed on screen).

scwheeler
04-03-15, 10:21
Hi Matt, I have tried it using the MetrixHD skin.

Firstly a big thank you for the change to the channel +/- buttons, this is something I've been after for a long while. I had a quick look in the skin file for the code to add the options box for the red button. If you could copy and paste it here or pm me, I'll have a look and possibly add it in to the skin.

matt007
04-03-15, 15:04
Hi Matt, I have tried it using the MetrixHD skin.

Firstly a big thank you for the change to the channel +/- buttons, this is something I've been after for a long while. I had a quick look in the skin file for the code to add the options box for the red button. If you could copy and paste it here or pm me, I'll have a look and possibly add it in to the skin.

In the skin xml file I uploaded:

Widget on line number 328 is for the displaying the channel numbers and name (when searching by number). This will need to be styled and positioned according to your skin.

Widget on line number 329 is for the bouquet list. Again this can be styled and positioned accordingly.

Lastly, the screen element between and including lines 623 to 626 is for the option dialog. This will get positioned next to the selected event so you dont need to bother with positioning. But you may want to style it according to your skin.

If there's anything else you need to know then let me know :)

matt007
04-03-15, 15:19
Here is the updated archive that contains the .py file:

Ive left comments in certain areas of the code to help others understand the code better.

Mods - can I get the attachment in post 75 replaced with the one from this post to avoid confusion?

EDIT: 05/03/2015. There is a newer file further along the thread

abu baniaz
04-03-15, 15:53
I find best way is to add dates and times to filenames in order to avoid confusion.

rossi2000
04-03-15, 16:43
thanks matt

now we can discuss what to implement into vix.
im not sure on the outcome, it may not even get added as we all want different things.

TK4|2|1
04-03-15, 17:01
thanks matt

now we can discuss what to implement into vix.
im not sure on the outcome, it may not even get added as we all want different things.

Can it not somehow be user configured via the menu's?
I might finally be able to stop using cooltvguide.

matt007
04-03-15, 17:06
Can it not somehow be user configured via the menu's?
I might finally be able to stop using cooltvguide.

That would be time consuming and probably not worth it as there will be loads of different possible combinations as different people may prefer different button mappings. All of these combinations will need to be coded so I can't see that happening to be honest.

If there is a particular button that you want changed to another function then I am more than happy to provide assistance

abu baniaz
04-03-15, 17:09
I make following comments with the intention to be constructive. I don't use the Blue HD skin, so some comments may not be applicable to changes.

Inforbar EPG
Red button is labelled as options. But when you enter it, it gives IMDB
http://www.world-of-satellite.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=40975&stc=1http://www.world-of-satellite.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=40976&stc=1

Same applies to this EPG screen. I think it is called Single EPG
http://www.world-of-satellite.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=40977&stc=1http://www.world-of-satellite.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=40978&stc=1

Options
It would be good to add the options to the coloured buttons instead of numbers.

Initially I had thought that the add timer options should be first. May still be a good idea, but those can be called by the record button, so may not be a good idea.

http://www.world-of-satellite.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=40979&stc=1

Recordings
Ovelapping/text too big? (May not be change related)
http://www.world-of-satellite.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=40980&stc=1

Bouquets overlapping
The bouquet text ovelaps
http://www.world-of-satellite.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=40981&stc=1

Scroll bouquets
Its nice that in the above picture, you can scroll between bouquets with < and >. Perhaps the same can be done in this screen too?
http://www.world-of-satellite.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=40982&stc=1

Minus24 hours.
Personallly, I think jumping to next page is a better option.

Also worth pointing out
When I discussed something else with Andy, he said that although an option may be a good idea in a particular screen, one of the things he wanted was for there to be consistency among the epg screens. So whichever EPG screen you were in, the options/buttons were the same.

Apologies for pointing this out in this post, but you do not need to have the main bouquet for offcial numbering to work in ABM. Only applies to first provider if you have multiple providers.
Numbering is also affected by the alternate numbering option

Keep up the good work. It is very refreshing to see someone come to the forum and quickly want to contribute in a manner like you have.

rossi2000
04-03-15, 17:25
some of the inconsistencies are due to the code only being applied to the graphical-epg

the options dialog should be made to append any tv/movie related plugins for eg: tvdb

matt007
04-03-15, 17:27
Inforbar EPG
Red button is labelled as options. But when you enter it, it gives IMDB

Same applies to this EPG screen. I think it is called Single EPG

Thanks - Think this slipped out of my mind as it was something I made note of when I was testing myself. So will get it sorted.

Options
It would be good to add the options to the coloured buttons instead of numbers.

Thanks - lets see what the general opinion is. Also, if there are more than 4 options then we wont have enough colours which is why I went with numbers.

Initially I had thought that the add timer options should be first. May still be a good idea, but those can be called by the record button, so may not be a good idea.

This is why I did not add the timer options first as the record button function can show the add timer and autotimer options.

Recordings
Ovelapping/text too big? (May not be change related)

This is to do with the skin settings. Press menu when you are on the recordings screen and change number of rows to 10.

Bouquets overlapping
The bouquet text ovelaps

Scroll bouquets
Its nice that in the above picture, you can scroll between bouquets with < and >. Perhaps the same can be done in this screen too?

It overlaps as the name of your chosen bouquet is quite long. When testing on my box, my names were generally shorter. It is not a problem leaving more space for the name of the chosen bouquet so I will update that.

In terms of adding it to the other screen, that is also possible. Lets see what the opinion of others is.

Minus24 hours.
Personallly, I think jumping to next page is a better option.

Again, lets see what others suggest.

Also worth pointing out
When I discussed something else with Andy, he said that although an option may be a good idea in a particular screen, one of the things he wanted was for there to be consistency among the epg screens. So whichever EPG screen you were in, the options/buttons were the same.

This is possible. But I think the majority of people on here just wanted their Graphical EPG screen to incorporate the new features.

matt007
04-03-15, 17:36
some of the inconsistencies are due to the code only being applied to the graphical-epg

the options dialog should be made to append any tv/movie related plugins for eg: tvdb

That can be added. The only problem would be how to determine what plugin is tv/movie related

abu baniaz
04-03-15, 17:39
Thanks - lets see what the general opinion is. Also, if there are more than 5 options then we wont have enough colours which is why I went with numbers.
On Commando imagefro DM500, you can assign to colurs and overspill goes to numbers.

This is to do with the skin settings. Press menu when you are on the recordings screen and change number of rows to 10.
Rossi, is it possible to make this = skin setting as a deafult. If skin does not have a default value use the normal deafult. User still able to edit.

Peterj
04-03-15, 18:38
Spot on. The tweak needs to know what the original channel numbers are so unless you have a bouquet with all of the channels with the correct numbers then it wont work. For example. I use ABM to generate Sky SD channels. So I get bouquets such as "All Channels", "Movies", "Sports" etc. The numbering of the channels in the first bouquet (All Channels) is how I like it - in Sky order. But the sectional bouquets have numbers in the 1000s. For example BBC One is 101 in the first bouquet but in the entertainment bouquet it is say 1001 (dont remember exactly). My tweak makes the numbers consistent so that all of the channels in the other sectional bouquets have the original numbers from the All Channels bouquet.

What is original channel numbers? There isn't. It is just the way the bouquets are made.
(ABM uses the LCN's send in the dvb streams to create the bouquets).
Also when you set bouquets to alternative numbering, all bouquets starts at 1.
example (using ABM):
you have providers sky sat and virgin cable. So there are 2 all channels bouquets (1 for sky, 1 for virgin).
Both have channel numbers, also the numbering looks the same, like BBC on 101 etc.
When you key in 101, what channels brings up? the one of Sky sat or the one of virgin cable?
Outside the G-EPG keying in picks always the channel number of the active bouquet.

Perhaps you didn't noticed yet, ABM makes a lot of 'fake' channels to get the channel numbers correct. When a bouquet starts at channel 101, there are a 100 fake channels before (hidden) to let the visible bouquet starts at 101.

markus625
04-03-15, 19:44
That can be added. The only problem would be how to determine what plugin is tv/movie related

I think you could have options for tvdb for tv related stuff and tmdb for movies etc.
I'm quite happy having numbers in the options red button but I'd just scroll down the list with the arrow keys.

rossi2000
04-03-15, 20:10
matt

to determine what plugins will show will be a case of coding to check for a systemplugin dir and if exists append to list

for eg:

if path.exists("/usr/lib/enigma2/python/Plugins/Extensions/TVDB"):
self.list.append bla bla bla

im sure you get the idea :)

matt007
04-03-15, 20:23
matt

to determine what plugins will show will be a case of coding to check for a systemplugin dir and if exists append to list

for eg:

if path.exists("/usr/lib/enigma2/python/Plugins/Extensions/TVDB"):
self.list.append bla bla bla

im sure you get the idea :)

Oh yeah I understand checking against a pre determined list of plugins. I was thinking more along the lines of how would you know what a tv/movie plugin is. As there are 100s of plugins and there would be no way to know. But I am more than happy to add a list of suitable plugins (should the user have them installed) to the option dialog. What other plugins would be suitable?

birdman
04-03-15, 20:26
There is some definitive channel number information around somewhere,...
<widget name="number" ....in the skin file definition?

markus625
04-03-15, 21:23
Ive thought of something else that could go into the red Options list, the bouquet list which you would normally press the TV key to access it, you can only access this with the original remote.

birdman
04-03-15, 21:39
Ive thought of something else that could go into the red Options list, the bouquet list which you would normally press the TV key to access it, you can only access this with the original remote.I like the "normally".
I didn't even know that this existed until I was playing around with things as a result of this thread! I'd only ever known about using <prev and next> to go through them one-by-one. Pressed TV by accident and noticed the event text replaced by a small grey menu...

markus625
04-03-15, 21:43
That's why it makes sense to use a list to gain access to these hidden features hey.
I guess many users don't realise about the tv button in the epg guide.

bbbuk
04-03-15, 22:12
Ok just had a chance to try this.

Thanks Matt for your work on this.

From my point of view, I'm happy with everything as it is especially keeping -24hrs. I've even had second thoughts about order of red button options because as mentioned these options are available via RECORD button anyhow.

I agree, if implemented, it should be across the board of skins and as for type of EPG I think most people probably just use G-EPG.

As for the channel numbers discussion, I think most people would prefer the ABM (and EPG therefore) to keep to official channel numbering when using either sky and virgin. Obviously, for those that use multisat then official numbering is lot harder if not impossible.

As the sectional bouquets don't keep to official channel numbering ie Sky UK "Movies" sectional bouquet don't start at 301, instead 1000+ then is it possible to implement a work-around within ABM for "sky uk (sd)", sky uk" and "virgin" to keep to official channel numbering?

This would then make it easier within EPG to display official channel numbering next to channel name. As Matt mentioned, if one looks at official sky box and goes to movies section, the channel numbers start at 301 rather than 1000 odd.

I agree you can't compare functionality of E2 boxes and official sky box but for those E2 users that only use their box for single-sat/cable (like me) then odds are we would like to keep to official channel numbering (where possible).

abu baniaz
04-03-15, 22:36
You do not need the main bouquet to keep official numbering. ABM will add blanks

matt007
04-03-15, 22:56
Have you guys tried searching for a channel using numbers? Would be keen to get your opinions on that

birdman
05-03-15, 01:25
Have you guys tried searching for a channel using numbers? Would be keen to get your opinions on thatAs I've noted - if you key in a number when watching a channel you will get that channel, so something knows about a definitive list (and you can only key in 4 digits - but that's all I've found in python code so far).
There also appears to be a "number" widget in the skin definitions that shows the same number in the list of channels in a bouquet.
No idea how you access this list, though....

matt007
05-03-15, 01:48
I meant the new feature in the graphical EPG where you can enter a channel number to bring up that channel in the view

abu baniaz
05-03-15, 09:12
Have you guys tried searching for a channel using numbers? Would be keen to get your opinions on that

It works when you have the all chanenls bouquets created. It would be good if this search feature was not dependent on the presence of the all chanenls bouquet.

Good work

bbbuk
05-03-15, 11:01
You do not need the main bouquet to keep official numbering. ABM will add blanks

It works when you have the all chanenls bouquets created. It would be good if this search feature was not dependent on the presence of the all chanenls bouquet.

Good work

Matt mentioned to keep to official channel numbering then all bouquets needs to be created. Sectional bouquets generally don't keep to official channel numbering. As I said previously, if i go into "movies" section, channel numbering is nowhere near the official channel numbering of 301+. It is, however, if you view movies from main section(bouquet).

matt007
05-03-15, 12:07

Good work

Ok I see what you mean. If you dont have an all channels bouquet then the channel you are searching will need to be in the selected bouquet. I will see if I can make it non dependant on selected bouquet

Peterj
05-03-15, 13:53
Ok I see what you mean. If you dont have an all channels bouquet then the channel you are searching will need to be in the selected bouquet. I will see if I can make it non dependant on selected bouquet

IMO it always should be a channel in the selected bouquet.

matt007
05-03-15, 15:02
The files:
EpgSelection.pyo - This contains coding for the new functionality. Place this inside /usr/lib/enigma2/python/Screens

skin_Blue-HD.xml - This contains new elements that will allow you to see the added features. Place this inside /usr/share/enigma2/Blue-HD

epg.png - I modified the look of the epg screen to incorporate the list of bouquets next to the current bouquet. Place this inside /usr/share/enigma2/Blue-HD/infobar

Update:

Fixes:

- Red button is no longer labelled as "Options" in any other EPG screen besides the G-EPG screen.
- Skin xml file and epg.png file have been modified so that the bouquet list does not overlap the current bouquet name
- Can now search for any channel number regardless of the selected bouquet - no longer has a dependency on the "All Channels" bouquet.

Mods can you please remove the other file in post #91. Thanks

bbbuk
05-03-15, 15:35
Update:

Fixes:

- Red button is no longer labelled as "Options" in any other EPG screen besides the G-EPG screen.
- Skin xml file and epg.png file have been modified so that the bouquet list does not overlap the current bouquet name
- Can now search for any channel number regardless of the selected bouquet - no longer has a dependency on the "All Channels" bouquet.

Mods can you please remove the other file in post #91. ThanksThanks again for that.

Is it now possible to display official channel numbers before the channel name in the EPG if it no longer has a dependency on "all channels"?

matt007
05-03-15, 15:51
The only problem with that is, what are the official channel numbers? Your preferred channel numbers are in the "All Channels" bouquet but not everyone has this bouquet. So without this, where are the official numbers?

bbbuk
05-03-15, 15:56
The only problem with that is, what are the official channel numbers? Your preferred channel numbers are in the "All Channels" bouquet but not everyone has this bouquet. So without this, where are the official numbers?Sorry I misread your previous thread and thought you had found a workaround to avoid the dependency on "all channels".

Could you, when you get a chance, add official channel numbers before the channel name like you previously had done and PM me the file. I have "all channels" so it will work.

Thanks again for your hard work on this significant improvement in the EPG.

matt007
05-03-15, 16:17
The workaround to avoid the dependency on "All Channels" was only for the search channel by number feature

abu baniaz
05-03-15, 17:38
Entering number goes to channel irrespective of whether there is an "all channels" bouquet or not.

Results of number input test.
ABM main bouquet option = no: You go to "correct" bouquet containing channel.
ABM main bouquet option = only HD/FTA HD: You go to "correct" bouquet containing channel.
ABM main bouquet option = yes: You go to "all chanenls"
i.e first bouquet containing the channel

Image option to show channel number in info bar is not working now, this is on Blue HD as well as default skin. I did not check this on the last file.

matt007
05-03-15, 18:08
Strange, as the EpgSelection.py file has no impact on the infobar screen. I have noticed there being a change in the ServiceName.py file on GitHub - That is the file that appends the number next to the name to display in the infobar. May possibly be a seperate issue that is not linked to these tweaks. I will test my image but I don't recall having that issue.

abu baniaz
05-03-15, 18:54
I flashed fresh and toggling numbers in infobar tested on stock image. I forgot that some data is kept in RAM and you need to change bouquet for new settings to be used.

Sorry.

A possibility is to change "show chanenl numbers in infobar" to "show chanenl numbers in EPG" and all EPG modes to be affected.

birdman
05-03-15, 19:07
The workaround to avoid the dependency on "All Channels" was only for the search channel by number featureWould it be possible to put those numbers next to the channel names?

Andy_Hazza
05-03-15, 19:14
Matt mentioned to keep to official channel numbering then all bouquets needs to be created. Sectional bouquets generally don't keep to official channel numbering. As I said previously, if i go into "movies" section, channel numbering is nowhere near the official channel numbering of 301+. It is, however, if you view movies from main section(bouquet).

I don't have "All Channels" created in ABM as I like each section to have the correct numbering. Thats a personal preference.

bbbuk
05-03-15, 19:59
I don't have "All Channels" created in ABM as I like each section to have the correct numbering. Thats a personal preference.I have "All Channels" only because I then don't have to keep swapping between different sections. I then have sections for the odd times that I specifically want to go straight to list of movies, for example.

In an ideal world we could have "All Channels" and each section, all with correct official numbering :)

Andy_Hazza
05-03-15, 20:02
I have "All Channels" only because I then don't have to keep swapping between different sections. I then have sections for the odd times that I specifically want to go straight to list of movies, for example.

In an ideal world we could have "All Channels" and each section, all with correct official numbering :)

That would be super duper if that ever materialised. [emoji106]

bbbuk
05-03-15, 20:51
I've just thought but if these changes are implemented in a future build (and I hope they are), do all the boxes you support have < and > on the remote to allow switching between different sections?

I'm not sure if you have already thought about this or it has been previously mentioned!

matt007
05-03-15, 21:48
That would be super duper if that ever materialised. [emoji106]

So what is stopping everyone from setting up their bouquets like that?

bbbuk
05-03-15, 22:11
So what is stopping everyone from setting up their bouquets like that?The ABM doesn't maintain official channel numbering if using both "all channels" and sectional bouquets.

abu baniaz
05-03-15, 22:54
The ABM doesn't maintain official channel numbering if using both "all channels" and sectional bouquets.
This is incorrect.

The numbers in the subsequent bouquets will show a cumulative number. Numbering will still work irrespective of what is shown in the bouquet.

I got fed up with people complaining about numbering not working with Lraizer's plugin, that the default install is now "HD first".

bbbuk
05-03-15, 23:32
This is incorrect.

The numbers in the subsequent bouquets will show a cumulative number. Numbering will still work irrespective of what is shown in the bouquet.So why does it show a cumulative number rather than official number? It may still work but most people wouldn't think it does simply because all they'll see is the cumulative number displayed and think they have to enter that instead of official number and unless you know official number anyhow you couldn't enter it and would have to go by cumulative number as displayed.

If there is a specific pattern to the cumulative number then as a work-around, could the ABM minus the cumulative number to get the official number? If that makes sense?

abu baniaz
05-03-15, 23:37
Perhaps it would be a good idea to conduct the number conundrum discussion in another thread and leave this thread for EPG screen changes.

pembo
05-03-15, 23:40
Perhaps it would be a good idea to conduct the number conundrum discussion in another thread and leave this thread for EPG screen changes.

please split it :)
I'd like to discuss a related numbers issue in openwebif api, as I've had a few requests to put numbering in the Samsung smart tv app, but such data doesn't appear to be available currently

birdman
06-03-15, 02:35
Bear in mind that if you have multiple sources (Terrestrial, Cable and Satellite) then there may be no such thing as "official numbers" without many clashes.

matt007
06-03-15, 02:51
I've spent the past few hours doing various tests with bouquets such as with/without main bouquet, multiple providers etc. From what I have gathered, it will be impossible to get "official" numbers across all bouquets if more than one provider is used - this should be pretty self explanatory. For example on Sky UK, BBC One is 101 but on Sky Ireland, 101 is RTE One. So when generating the bouquets, only one of the mentioned channels can get 101. So only your first provider can get "official" numbers.

So the only way you can achieve the "official" numbering effect is if you have one provider and you have a main channel bouquet ("All Channels"). Note that I used the word "effect". This is because a channel in two seperate bouquets cannot have the same number. For example you cannot have "101 - BBC One" in "All Channels" and "101 - BBC One" in "Entertainment". The reason for this is, suppose you are viewing a channel thats in two bouquets, we need to know what bouquet that channel is referencing. 101 cannot be referencing "All Channels" as well as "Entertainment". It has to be one or the other.

So in conclusion, if you have one provider and a main channel bouquet, then it will be possible to achieve the effect of having consistent numbers across different bouquets. However, this will mean that a channel can still be selected using both the "official" number as well the original number in the relevant bouquet. But if the original number is never shown to the user, then it will become very unlikely anyone will remember or even zap the original number. The only way to prevent the user from zapping an original number is to just search a channel number in the main bouquet. But then this will make the whole idea of bouquets pointless as you will only ever be in the main bouquet, unless your only purpose for bouquets is to organise channels into sections in the EPG.

Another alternative in the G-EPG screen is to replace the bouquets with the markers from the main bouquet. By doing this, there will only be one bouquet, but many different sections (similar to what you are used to on Sky). So in this way, no matter what section (marker) you are in, you will still be in the main channel bouquet so there will always be consistent channel numbers. So for this, you just need to generate the main bouquet and not any of the section ones.

Sorry for the long post, I felt it was important to let people know what is possible from a technical point of view. As mentioned above, lets make a seperate thread for this.

bbbuk
06-03-15, 10:10
I also agree the last few posts were mostly, if not wholly, concerning official numbering within ABM (and EPG) and therefore should be split off. Maybe moved to the ABM section of the forum in a new thread?

@matt007, thank you for the detailed response and testing you have done into trying to get this working.

I agree that for those that use more than one provider, it would be impossible to maintain any official numbering and I would have thought this was expected.

I personally only use the "Sky UK (SD)" provider and I would of thought a lot only use the 28.2 satellite unless they're lucky enough to have a motorised dish.

So the only way you can achieve the "official" numbering effect is if you have one provider and you have a main channel bouquet ("All Channels"). Note that I used the word "effect". This is because a channel in two seperate bouquets cannot have the same number. For example you cannot have "101 - BBC One" in "All Channels" and "101 - BBC One" in "Entertainment". The reason for this is, suppose you are viewing a channel thats in two bouquets, we need to know
what bouquet that channel is referencing. 101 cannot be referencing "All Channels" as well as "Entertainment". It has to be one or the other.This makes sense.

Another alternative in the G-EPG screen is to replace the bouquets with the markers from the main bouquet. By doing this, there will only be one bouquet, but many different sections (similar to what you are used to on Sky). So in this way, no matter what section (marker) you are in, you will still be in the main channel bouquet so there will always be consistent channel numbers. So for this, you just need to generate the main bouquet and not any of the section ones.When you create just the main bouquet and nothing else, the main bouquet does contain each section within the "main" one but at same time there is no easy way to go to another section like movies, sports, etc without scrolling down the entire list. This is why most people generate section bouquets.

The above screenshot is just the main bouquet created and no sectional bouquets therefore "Entertainment, Sports, Movies, etc" don't exist. If a workaround could be done so that it places "dummy" bouquet names in the screenshot that then "jump" to the respective marker in the main bouquet. This would, to the end user, look the same as having sectional bouquets, but with added benefit of making official numbering possible across the entire the board. Does this make sense?

matt007
06-03-15, 11:35
Makes sense and its something I was thinking of doing but it wont be for the masses so it wont get into any future images. Im just wondering if it would be possible to implement this as a plugin so people who meet the criteria (one provider and only a main bouquet) can just download this then. I suppose what I am asking is if plugins have the ability to modify code on the image or at least point the image towards the plugin code instead of the code in the image.

bbbuk
06-03-15, 12:02
@Matt007, would you be able, in the short term and as a workaround, implement a conditional statement in your code so if "All channels" bouquet exists it then displays the correct official numbering (as taken from "all channels") within the G-EPG before the channel name (eg "101 BBC One").

If "All channels" doesn't exist, it just displays the usual "BBC One". I'm not sure if you can accurately check if "All Channels" bouquet exists?

This way, there is no error message/crash and for those with "all channels" can have official channel numbers displayed in G-EPG.

matt007
06-03-15, 12:13
If someone has multiple providers and a main bouquet for each, then they will have more than one "All Channels" bouquet so things can get messy in that regard. I will have a think about what would be suitable

matt007
06-03-15, 12:42
Also, people have the ability to rename their bouquets so simply checking for the "All Channels" name is not enough as people have the ability to name it however they want.

Also I think there is already a bouquet config where the channel number is appended to the name. So for visual purposes, a consistent number is shown. This will achieve the same effect.

EDIT: it is Lraizer's AB 28.2.

bbbuk
06-03-15, 15:12
...Also I think there is already a bouquet config where the channel number is appended to the name. So for visual purposes, a consistent number is shown. This will achieve the same effect.

EDIT: it is Lraizer's AB 28.2.Thanks for that.

I now have official channel numbers. Just a small gripe over fact it still displays the accumulative channel number as well as official channel number but at least it's closer to what I wanted.

I noticed it credits Andy and Vix so hopefully sometime in future this can be added to Vix's built-in ABM ?

abu baniaz
06-03-15, 15:45
There have been quite a few errors in assupmptions/deductions in last few posts.

bbbuk
06-03-15, 21:30
There have been quite a few errors in assupmptions/deductions in last few posts.Could you go into a little more detail?

Would be best if the last few pages of post that are referring to channel numbers in ABM be split off into a new thread to keep this original thread more on-topic :)

markus625
08-03-15, 12:55
Thought id have a stab at incorporating this into rossi's bello skin, as you can see from the screenshot the options is totally wrong am i missing something that i need to code into the skin.41033

bbbuk
08-03-15, 20:54
I'm not as good as coding as the rest of you (learning slowly) but am I correct in the thinking it's either "OptionDialog" or "ChoiceBox"? My guess is "OptionDialog" is the properties for the box!

I've tried the default installation skin, and red button options displays ok but could do with tidying up a little compared to blue-hd version.

The bello skin, however, doesn't display anywhere close to correct so I assume that needs extra coding for the fact it's 1080p skin.

I'm sure Rossi or matt could help you more...

rossi2000
09-03-15, 14:27
we are still deciding on how/what to implement into vix,
if/when this happens i will update the skins to reflect the changes.

Huevos
09-03-15, 16:20
In an ideal world we could have "All Channels" and each section, all with correct official numbering :)Enigma 3? Or completely rewrite Enigma 2? :roflmao:

bbbuk
09-03-15, 17:00
Enigma 3? Or completely rewrite Enigma 2? :roflmao:A workaround of some sort has been done as I have it working now with AB 28.2 plugin plus Matt007 had it working as well using built-in ABM instead of plugin I've had to use.

It does, however, rely on main bouquet (ie "all channels") but it's a step in right direction :)

abu baniaz
09-03-15, 17:21
A workaround of some sort has been done as I have it working now with AB 28.2 plugin plus Matt007 had it working as well using built-in ABM instead of plugin I've had to use.

It does, however, rely on main bouquet (ie "all channels") but it's a step in right direction :)
It does not.

Both ABM and AB 28.2 will create channel lists where button pushes correspond to official channel number. Irrespective of whether you have the large main bouquet or not.

If you do not have the large main bouquet, the "displayed channel" numbers in the not-main bouquets will still correspond to "button push" numbers.

You can also have channel numbers taht correspond to official numbering without having the bouquets.

Note: Button push number = E2 number

bbbuk
09-03-15, 17:57
Both ABM and AB 28.2 will create channel lists where button pushes correspond to official channel number. Irrespective of whether you have the large main bouquet or not.

If you do not have the large main bouquet, the "displayed channel" numbers in the not-main bouquets will still correspond to "button push" numbers.

You can also have channel numbers taht correspond to official numbering without having the bouquets.

Note: Button push number = E2 numberSo why can't we have E2 number (ie corresponds to official numbering) in sectional bouquet as well as any "main" bouquet displayed within EPG? Is it because you can't have same channel (including official numbering) in both "main" bouquet as well as any sectional bouquet?

abu baniaz
09-03-15, 18:20
E2 number is not offical number. Plugins like ABM/AB 28.2 and B16mcc online tool creates blank channels to achieve this.

So why can't we have E2 number (ie corresponds to official numbering) in sectional bouquet as well as any "main" bouquet displayed within EPG? Is it because you can't have same channel (including official numbering) in both "main" bouquet as well as any sectional bouquet?
Answer has already been given.

judge
10-03-15, 01:57
Number button presses already have assigned functions while in G-EPG, not sure removing those is the best of ideas.

bbbuk
10-03-15, 10:39
Number button presses already have assigned functions while in G-EPG, not sure removing those is the best of ideas.Are you referring to jump to channel whilst within the G-EPG that Matt007 thought of? I didn't realise number button presses whilst actually viewing the G-EPG did anything tbh.

If you're referring to number button presses displayed in G-EPG that I mentioned, I was just hoping that the official channel number could be displayed whilst viewing G-EPG, instead of the cumulative number which is sometimes displayed. For example, I have "all channels" and sectional bouquets enabled. Whilst viewing any channel from the main "all channels" bouquet the official channel number is shown. Whereas, jumping straight to "movies" bouquet instead displays a cumulative number (ie channel number 1000 onwards) rather than official channel number (ie 301 onwards).

I've been informed this isn't possible without re-writing ABM from what I can gather from Huevos and Abu.

Instead, I use the AB E2 28.2 plugin to generate bouquets and allow displaying of official channel number whilst viewing G-EPG.

markus625
10-03-15, 11:32
I think we need to look at all the possible button actions that we have access too while in the g-epg such as pressing some of the number keys will + and - zoom the epg guide or go straight to primetime etc.

Could these functions be moved to a pop up menu to access these leaving the number keys to jump to a channel in the epg.

For example.

Red button = options :
1.imdb
2.tmdb
3.tvdb
4.jump to primetime
5. Zoom +
6. Zoom -
7. Plus 24h
8. Bouquets

Green button = add timer
Yellow button = add autotimer
Blue button = recordings/pvr

bbbuk
10-03-15, 14:02
I think we need to look at all the possible button actions that we have access too while in the g-epg such as pressing some of the number keys will + and - zoom the epg guide or go straight to primetime etc.

Could these functions be moved to a pop up menu to access these leaving the number keys to jump to a channel in the epg.

For example.

Red button = options :
1.imdb
2.tmdb
3.tvdb
4.jump to primetime
5. Zoom +
6. Zoom -
7. Plus 24h
8. Bouquets

Green button = add timer
Yellow button = add autotimer
Blue button = recordings/pvrThis is where I personally agree with Matt007. The record button displays both timer and autotimer so why have it again via two coloured buttons from EPG when these two buttons could be used for something else?

Logically, well in my eyes anyhow lol, it makes sense to have +24h and -24h readily accessible from coloured button where everyone can see it and allows easy back/forth through the days and allows channel up/down to jump up/down through the epg listings.

The problem is everyone may have their own thoughts and preferences so I guess it's trying to find a happy medium.

I could do a poll and ask for opinions on whether to keep it as is, adopt matt007 version (as it stands now) or some variation of matt007 version?

rossi2000
10-03-15, 14:06
+-24 can be already be used with the chan up/down buttons

markus625
10-03-15, 14:08
I think a poll would be a good idea, I think we all have different ideas and needs.

TK4|2|1
10-03-15, 16:08
+-24 can be already be used with the chan up/down buttons

Those buttons would be better for page up & down, wouldn't you agree?
That's what this thread is all about customising the buttons to individual tastes., via the menu whilst in G-Epg.

markus625
10-03-15, 16:40
Im currently expeimenting with matts epgselection.py file and seeing what changes i can make, not that good at python thru.

One thing i would like to get into that options list is the increasing and decreasing the timeline for the epg or to simply say zoom in which previously was using 1 and 3 keys.

bbbuk
10-03-15, 19:00
I think a poll would be a good idea, I think we all have different ideas and needs.I did a poll here (http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?44345-Which-coloured-EPG-options-do-you-prefer&goto=newpost).

markus625
10-03-15, 19:57
Modified the bello skin to reflect what the changes would look like with this skin, also added the bouquet list to the options.

bbbuk
10-03-15, 20:31
Modified the bello skin to reflect what the changes would look like with this skin, also added the bouquet list to the options.

41113Glad you finally sorted the code. Could you post the xml file for this and I can compare it to mine and to see where I went wrong when I tried to change but failed :)

markus625
10-03-15, 20:46
Glad you finally sorted the code. Could you post the xml file for this and I can compare it to mine and to see where I went wrong when I tried to change but failed :)

Do u mean just the skin xml file or the py file as well.

bbbuk
10-03-15, 21:39
Do u mean just the skin xml file or the py file as well.I meant just skin xml but the epgselection.py would be good as well so I can work out how it was done.

Thanks

markus625
10-03-15, 21:50
I meant just skin xml but the epgselection.py would be good as well so I can work out how it was done.

Thanks

sure no probs attached below.

By the way in the bello skin the only way to modify the list font and item height is in the skin.xml file look for this code below.

<alias name="ChoiceList" font="menulist" size="42" height="60" />

Also the screen name 'OptionDialog' controls the options list for the red button.

TK4|2|1
11-03-15, 07:58
Im currently expeimenting with matts epgselection.py file and seeing what changes i can make, not that good at python thru.

One thing i would like to get into that options list is the increasing and decreasing the timeline for the epg or to simply say zoom in which previously was using 1 and 3 keys.

You do know you can change the timeline from within the epg menu?

markus625
11-03-15, 11:24
Discovered a possible bug for the options menu whether this is skin related im not sure but have a look at the two screen grabs below.

markus625
11-03-15, 12:18
I think if we ever implement this we need to make the positioning of the list to be positioned anywhere the skin author wants it to be at the moment its taking its position from the g-epg element as you can see in the post above #170.
It would be ideal if the list could be positioned on the left no matter where the pointer is in the guide.

bbbuk
11-03-15, 18:06
Just added 'Jump to date/time' to the red options list as this no longer exists now that number presses jump to specific channels rather than do other things (tbh I didn't even know it existed).

I noticed that, on bluehd skin anyhow, it displays only 4 options on any one options page and you have to scroll down to get options 5 and 6.

Even on the very bottom line of the EPG, the options display is still fine and shows just upto 4 options on any one page. If this was increased to accomodate more than 4 options then this would be off-screen similar to your post 170 markus.

Is it not easy to program options to display in the centre of the screen?

markus625
11-03-15, 19:11
Have you managed to get what was previously 1 and 3 keys to +- the time line.

markus625
11-03-15, 19:16
It's the choicelist in the fonts section of the skin.xml that controls the font size and list height.

You could remove or alter this but other screens use this on the bello skin and they would also be effected.
I think if we remove this line we can then adjust the font type and size locally within the screen.

rossi2000
11-03-15, 19:19
It's the choicelist in the fonts section of the skin.xml that controls the font size and list height.

You could remove or alter this but other screens use this on the bello skin and they would also be effected.
I think if we remove this line we can then adjust the font type and size locally within the screen.

that line cannot be removed afaik, code relies on the params now and not locally within the screen.
it controls all the choicelist/box options throughout the image

you can give it a try though of course, just giving u a heads-up.

markus625
11-03-15, 19:28
that line cannot be removed afaik, code relies on the params now and not locally within the screen.
it controls all the choicelist/box options throughout the image

you can give it a try though of course, just giving u a heads-up.

Yeh thanks for confirming that, looks like if I did want to just control one screen thst uses the choicelist I'd have to recode every screen that uses it too.

rossi2000
11-03-15, 19:31
the options dialog screen in the skin is what you'll need to edit to make the pop up menu bigger, it will have the size of the window defined

always make the window height multiples of the itemheight, so itemheight = 60, make the window size 300 for 5 rows, 360 for 6 etc.

on the other hand the window should me made to adjust the size of the menu dynamically preferably.

markus625
11-03-15, 19:40
I actually wanted to reduce the list item height and reduce the font size as it looks too big in the g-epg.
But as said earlier it's appears to be the choicelist font settings that controls this.

bbbuk
12-03-15, 13:31
Have you managed to get what was previously 1 and 3 keys to +- the time line.I think this is the code (taken from line 1496 of attached code):

if number == 1:
timeperiod = int(config.epgselection.infobar_prevtimeperiod.val ue)
if timeperiod > 60:
timeperiod -= 60
self['list'].setEpoch(timeperiod)
config.epgselection.infobar_prevtimeperiod.setValu e(timeperiod)
self.moveTimeLines()
However, I'm doing something wrong because when I copied and pasted this (except first line) and defined a new function called "ReduceTimeScale" it refuses to boot. I've attached the .py code so if someone could point out where I'm going wrong I'd be grateful.

The last option on Matt red button multioption i've added to it so that it calls function "ReduceTimeScale" and if I comment out most lines in the function then box is fine and doesn't crash so I know it's something related to that function. The function is near end of file.

matt007
12-03-15, 17:33
Just by looking at the code you pasted in, there are no indentations after the If statement.

Unless the original code does have intendation and just the pasted version does not

bbbuk
12-03-15, 18:24
Just by looking at the code you pasted in, there are no indentations after the If statement.

Unless the original code does have intendation and just the pasted version does notSorted it now, thanks. I had removed it for the paste but the original code indentation wasn't right neither. I didn't realise python was fussy about indentation, I thought it was just because it's easier to read :)

Have you managed to get what was previously 1 and 3 keys to +- the time line.Yes, now finally thanks to matt. I've attached it for you.

markus625
12-03-15, 19:59
Thanks guys.

Matt

Did you look at post #170 (http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?42788-Some-ideas-to-improve-the-Graphical-EPG-screen&p=344956&viewfull=1#post344956) the option dialog disappears off the screen if you are on the bottom epg row.

Is it not possible to dynamically position this instead of it being linked to a row.

matt007
13-03-15, 01:27
Thanks guys.

Matt

Did you look at post #170 (http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?42788-Some-ideas-to-improve-the-Graphical-EPG-screen&p=344956&viewfull=1#post344956) the option dialog disappears off the screen if you are on the bottom epg row.

Is it not possible to dynamically position this instead of it being linked to a row.

Ive tested this numerous times with the Blue HD skin and I have not encountered this problem even once.

Can you elaborate on what you mean by dynamically positioning the option box as I thought it was already dynamic (positions itself wherever the selected event is)

birdman
13-03-15, 02:36
Can you elaborate on what you mean by dynamically positioning the option box as I thought it was already dynamic (positions itself wherever the selected event is)That would be a problem, then, if the event that caused it was a button press on an item at the bottom of the screen, which is what the example image shows.

I once had to handle a similar issue in a Tcl/Tk application on Unix and had to consider how large the pop-up menu would be once it was popped up (which was findable) and ensure it didn't start lower down the screen than what would enable it all to be seen. And there was a similar problem on the right-hand edge (these were cascading menus), where if it didn't fit to the right I posted the next menu to the left.

TK4|2|1
13-03-15, 08:27
I've been thinking. Why have a pop up menu? What happens when you press options? It brings up a box so you can press 1,2,3 or 4. Why not have red assigned to bring up bouquets, and have another row of buttons below the coloured buttons with 1, 2, 3, and 4 buttons there?

bbbuk
13-03-15, 10:35
Ive tested this numerous times with the Blue HD skin and I have not encountered this problem even once.

Can you elaborate on what you mean by dynamically positioning the option box as I thought it was already dynamic (positions itself wherever the selected event is)It is fine on bluehd and the default vix night skin but markus uses 1080 skins.

Is it the variable posy that determines how far up/down screen it goes because i've tried reducing this figure (after it gets it from serviceref) and it crashed. As a test I was going to reduce by 100. Or does posy determine the position across the screen lol.

markus625
13-03-15, 11:26
I think what im getting at is to get the popup menu to be in the same position no matter where you are in the epg table as differant skins position the table to where it fits in with the skin design.
For example position the popup menu 100,100 x and y coordinates.
Don't know if that's possible or for it to be controlled in the skin. Xml

bbbuk
13-03-15, 13:03
on normal skins (well bluehd anyhow) the popup options menu is relative to event highlighted. The top of the popup box is always online with top of event highlighted. Not sure about 1080 skins.

Going by pic markus posted, it went off bottom of screen. I think this maybe because on bluehd skin, there is loads of space below last line of epg data so there is room to display popup box. On skin markus uses (and probably others), there isn't much space below compared to bluehd skin therefore bottom half of popup box is off screen if event highlighted is on last line of epg data.

If the top of the popup options box can be made less (vertical wise) than top of event highlighted this would mean popup box would be a little nearer the top of the screen and shouldn't be off screen if event highlighted is on last line of epg data.

Have I just confused everyone :confused:

In a nutshell, pic below is current height of popup options box which matches the event highlighted (notice the thick red line)

Whereas in this pic, the box is higher up the screen compared to event highlighted (again notice the two thick red lines)
(for record I've only altered pic to get popup box higher up screen as code I was using for posy it didn't like)

markus625
13-03-15, 14:26
What's the difference between this popup menu and the menu that pops up when you press the record button, it doesn't reliy on the choicbox,for its positioning and font type etc.

markus625
14-03-15, 12:24
I've been thinking about the possible mods with the popup menu and being able to jump to a channel by keying in numbers etc.

With all the possible options that you could fit into the menu and now loosing the ability to use numbers shortcuts to navigate the epg.
Would this be a better idea.

Instead of using the numbers keys to jump to a channel could another popup be used to enter the channel number leaving the number keys to there original functions.
We can keep the red button popup and green for recordings.

bbbuk
14-03-15, 18:28
It maybe even possible (but I'm not good with python) to keep both to a certain degree.

If it was coded in a way that if only 1 digit is pressed and nothing else within say 2 seconds then it interprets this as an existing epg action rather than the new channel input to allow jumping to the channel number.

matt007
14-03-15, 22:25
Can be done bbbuk, but it wont be great from a user perspective as some people are not great with remotes and can take more than 2 seconds for example. A better way could be to long press number keys for their original actions and leave the short press keys for the new search channel by number feature.

bbbuk
15-03-15, 00:37
...but it wont be great from a user perspective as some people are not great with remotes and can take more than 2 seconds for example.That's true, never thought of that.

A better way could be to long press number keys for their original actions and leave the short press keys for the new search channel by number feature.That is better idea. When you get a chance could you look at that please?

Looking at the code, I'd guess that the order would need to be changed as a start so it looks for long presses first and then proceeds with elif (for normal presses) for the new search channel by number feature. I wouldn't, however, have an idea on how to distinguish between longpress and normal press.

markus625
15-03-15, 14:32
You know that i like to do these mockups of future possible skins, well i wanted to show you my invision incorporating a popup menu which is either absolutely positioned in one area or still linked to the epg row but instead of the popup starting downwards like in the first image but instead it goes up vertically as in my mockup.

I think with more control over the skin and the option dialog skin component we could design quite a lovely epg guide.
http://www.world-of-satellite.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=41163&d=1426248554

bbbuk
16-03-15, 14:25
@Markus625, I found out how to move the optionbox further up the screen. It's far from ideal coding-wise but serves as a start.

Find the following line in epgselection.py:

self.ChoiceBoxDialog.instance.move(ePoint(posy[0]-self.ChoiceBoxDialog.instance.size().width(),self. instance.position().y()+posy[1]))

You then need to add what i've highlighted in blue:

self.ChoiceBoxDialog.instance.move(ePoint(posy[0]-self.ChoiceBoxDialog.instance.size().width(),self. instance.position().y()+posy[1]-100))

It's not ideal but it serves as a starting point. If I get time later I will look into it further.

markus625
16-03-15, 15:17
@bbbuk we to somehow work out if we can make the menu go up vertical instead of downwards like it does at the moment

bbbuk
16-03-15, 16:49
@bbbuk we to somehow work out if we can make the menu go up vertical instead of downwards like it does at the momentIt does that's what that amendment does to that line.

See screenshot...

Like I said, it's a start and we can figure out a better position and better coding rather than using specific figures.

markus625
16-03-15, 17:03
I see it now good work bbbuk

Andy_Hazza
16-03-15, 17:19
It does that's what that amendment does to that line.

See screenshot...

Like I said, it's a start and we can figure out a better position and better coding rather than using specific figures.

You are doing a good job buddy. [emoji106]

bbbuk
16-03-15, 17:22
@markus625, use the below code instead of the one I mentioned earlier...

self.ChoiceBoxDialog.instance.move(ePoint(posy[0]-self.ChoiceBoxDialog.instance.size().width(),self. instance.position().y()+posy[1]-self.ChoiceBoxDialog.instance.size().height()))

This now does it correctly and uses the height of the Matt's multibox option.

markus625
16-03-15, 17:55
@markus625, use the below code instead of the one I mentioned earlier...

self.ChoiceBoxDialog.instance.move(ePoint(posy[0]-self.ChoiceBoxDialog.instance.size().width(),self. instance.position().y()+posy[1]-self.ChoiceBoxDialog.instance.size().height()))

This now does it correctly and uses the height of the Matt's multibox option.

Have u got any screenshots of it, at work at moment so can't try it out.

bbbuk
16-03-15, 21:41
Have u got any screenshots of it, at work at moment so can't try it out.See attached.

markus625
16-03-15, 22:14
Just copied the code into my py file and rebooted, the menu still looks to be cut off at the bottom.

My mistake theres two lines that you need to replace.

bbbuk
16-03-15, 22:20
I never had to change two lines, that what I quoted is one long line which may look like two in Notepad++

At least it works anyhow.

markus625
16-03-15, 22:35
Theres two instances of that code.

on line 1097
self.ChoiceBoxDialog.instance.move(ePoint(posy[0]-self.ChoiceBoxDialog.instance.size().width(),self. instance.position().y()+posy[1]))
and line 1654

markus625
16-03-15, 22:59
in the screenshots below the popup menu seems to be centred almost center to the epg row/event, would it look better if the popup always started at the beginning of the event.

Ive moved it in my graphics editor

bbbuk
16-03-15, 23:01
I never noticed that first line of code. I would put that back as it's not needed. Just the second line of code (near end of file).

matt007
17-03-15, 21:50
How about a dialog that pop up in the centre of the screen rather than next to the selected event? That is certainly possible and if thats what the majority of people want then I can get it done probably tomorrow

bbbuk
17-03-15, 22:07
How about a dialog that pop up in the centre of the screen rather than next to the selected event? That is certainly possible and if thats what the majority of people want then I can get it done probably tomorrowIt doesn't bother me personally. My concern was that when it was below the current event it went off screen on some skins (but not bluehd). Now that it sits above it then I think it's fine.

All other popups are around the event in question rather than centre screen so there would be no consistency imho.

If you could, when you have time, look at getting long number button to represent the old epg actions, leaving the normal number presses for your new jump/zap to channel I would appreciate that.

After that, then I would say your new feature is is fine, at least from my prespective.

Thanks again for your work Matt, it really is appreciated and has got me a little into python coding.

markus625
17-03-15, 22:35
How about a dialog that pop up in the centre of the screen rather than next to the selected event? That is certainly possible and if thats what the majority of people want then I can get it done probably tomorrow

Thanks again matt and bbbuk for all your hard work getting this together.
I myself would favour the popup as well as the record popup to be either centred in the screen or to appear at the start of the event row like the mockup I did in post 206 I think this would make it more pleasing, unless we could control it in the skin xml.
If you got time matt could you try coding this to see what it looks like.
But i dont think we're too far away from getting this tested in different skins and thus submitted to getting it in the image build if the majority prefer it.

lee.wooldridge.35
18-03-15, 23:26
Hello men, Ive noticed on some of the screen shots on here that on your sky skin when you open your epg you have your boquets across the top. Mine doesn't have that, can you direct me to where I can get it please.

lee.wooldridge.35
18-03-15, 23:27

Like this

bbbuk
19-03-15, 12:16
Hello men, Ive noticed on some of the screen shots on here that on your sky skin when you open your epg you have your boquets across the top. Mine doesn't have that, can you direct me to where I can get it please.It's just being tested at this moment hence why you can't see it on your skin.

We're hoping it will be implemented once tested :)

If you wanted it in mean time and you're okay with FTP'ing into box and replacing files then see earlier in this thread for files attached by Matt (instructions on which files to replace can be found even earlier in this thread).

One thing i'm unsure of is when build 154 is released with new coding that has been done on the skins this may cause problems I'm not sure!!

lee.wooldridge.35
19-03-15, 13:57
Thanks a lot for updating me bbbuk, I'll look forward to its release.

markus625
19-03-15, 21:38
Guys do you think that the modifications we are implementing in the g-epg be also applied to the quickepg as they are pretty much the same

markus625
10-04-15, 13:46
Is it worth us still working on these modifications but from what it's worth im using the mods in my skin.
@matt007 is it possible to absolutely position the red button pop list, I'm working on a new skin and would like to implement some of these ideas even if it's not implemented into the image.

rossi2000
10-04-15, 13:58
whats the point in creating a skin with features the image doenst have?

markus625
10-04-15, 14:04
whats the point in creating a skin with features the image doenst have?

Once ive created and finished this new skin it should work with or without the mods, but ill be putting the mods on my box's from now on as it suits me.

bbbuk
12-04-15, 18:45
Is it worth us still working on these modifications but from what it's worth im using the mods in my skin...I'm also using the mod on my skin and I've noticed a few other people have also implemented the mod as well.

For what it's worth, I would like it to continue :)

duoduo
12-04-15, 20:09
Once ive created and finished this new skin it should work with or without the mods, but ill be putting the mods on my box's from now on as it suits me.

What skin is it Marcus? I think the efforts you guys have put in is admirable and would love to see them implemented at image level.

matt007
14-04-15, 17:52
I'll be more than happy to continue working on it but its just a bit hard to know what goes on in discussions behind the scenes amongst the members of the image team.

bbbuk
14-04-15, 17:56
I'll be more than happy to continue working on it but its just a bit hard to know what goes on in discussions behind the scenes amongst the members of the image team.To the best of my knowledge, I believe it was decided not to go ahead and include it in any image so i'm using it as a mod and will continue to do so. I know Markus is as well and i've seen some threads elsewhere to indicate a few others have.

What I would like to see is those G-EPG features for the number button options that no longer work, respond to 'long' number presses instead. That, I believe, would still maintain all the existing number options and your great new features all in one.

Thanks

matt007
14-04-15, 18:15
To the best of my knowledge, I believe it was decided not to go ahead and include it in any image so i'm using it as a mod and will continue to do so. I know Markus is as well and i've seen some threads elsewhere to indicate a few others have.

The voting thread you created indicated that people wanted it but it was decided to not go ahead with it - which is fine as I am fully aware that sometimes there are many reasons that mean certain features cannot be implemented (which is why people make mods), but some sort of dialogue from the team would be helpful as it would give everyone a better understanding.

markus625
14-04-15, 22:43
In my opinion i was hoping that we could still work on the ideas and improve the implementation and other positioning issues with the pop up menu or make some of it skinable and then hopfully get it into a Dev build.

rossi2000
14-04-15, 23:41
The voting thread you created indicated that people wanted it but it was decided to not go ahead with it - which is fine as I am fully aware that sometimes there are many reasons that mean certain features cannot be implemented (which is why people make mods), but some sort of dialogue from the team would be helpful as it would give everyone a better understanding.

the code isnt consistent throughout all the epg screens.
the buttons atm are hardcoded, not much point to change them for different hardcoded buttons. the best way to deal with this is to make the buttons configurable, and also making the pop-up menu configurable, so a user can choose to use this if they want.

the extra widgets and things imo arent that much a problem.

any chance you can break it down to exactly what has been done, i cant see any reason why some extra widgets and things cant be used in the main image.

i closed the other thread, dont get me wrong, id like these mods in the main image too, but not everyone wants change.

matt007
14-04-15, 23:51
That's completely understandable mate. We make mods as we want to improve our user experience. If that helps other forum users without making it to the main image then thats still a good thing.

rossi2000
15-04-15, 00:06
buttons and pop up menus aside, wasnt there some cosmetic tweaks you done with some extra widgets?

bbbuk
15-04-15, 09:33
buttons and pop up menus aside, wasnt there some cosmetic tweaks you done with some extra widgets?Matt mod's did the following:-

Changed coloured buttons options
Introduced multi-options pop-up via Red button
Ability to enter a channel number from GEPG and jump to it
Added ability to easily see the different bouquets within GEPG but also quickly change to them by using the < or > keys

Attached is screenshot of G-EPG which I use on BlueHD skin.

Huevos
15-04-15, 15:35
Changed coloured buttons optionsIt just changes one hard code option for another. The way forward is to make it configurable so the user can decide what the button does via the GUI. And the configurable options need to make the same changes in all EPG screens.

bbbuk
15-04-15, 20:22
It just changes one hard code option for another. The way forward is to make it configurable so the user can decide what the button does via the GUI.I agree that would be nice to allow a little more options to choose from (for those that would like it differently than how Matt has it now but, for me anyhow, I think this is a step in the right direction as it improves user experience by having options people may use more as a coloured option. Personally for me, I never use imdb and although some obviously do it's probably not that often used. Of course everyone has their own taste.

If I had the python programming skills then I would attempt to possibly read the settings file for a users' preferred option for each coloured button and users could choose what they wish for each coloured button from either the epg menu or maybe new menu within 'User Interface' (similar to the options of 'button setup' etc).

Unfortunately, my programming skills are VB although structure is nearly the same between both programming languages. Then of course, python is mixed in with options for E2.

And the configurable options need to make the same changes in all EPG screens.I know Matt specifically did this so it's only for GEPG screen but that can easily be solved by removing the if conditional statement that checks if GEPG is being used I'd have thought.

Huevos
15-04-15, 20:40
If I had the python programming skills then I would attempt [... ] it's only for GEPG screen but that can easily be solved by removing the if conditional statement that checks if GEPG is being used I'd have thought.Everything is easy when someone else is doing it. ;)

Which conditional statement is that?

rossi2000
15-04-15, 21:02
If graph_epg use these buttons, if not use original buttons
From memory the last time I checked it.

Also bbuk your screenwriter shows a bouquetlist across the top, what is this?

bbbuk
15-04-15, 21:03
Everything is easy when someone else is doing it. ;)It is, but i'm trying to pick it up. Just wish I had more time and didn't work :) so I could really get into it. May need to win the lottery though first :)

Which conditional statement is that?The conditional statements (they're several depending on obviously which function is being called), I've noticed are like (line 1479+ in attached file, which may differ slightly from Matt's upload as I'm playing with it trying to learn):

def keyNumberGlobal(self, number):
if self.type == EPG_TYPE_GRAPH:First line is function and in this case is the one that monitors the key input as Matt (in this example) uses this function to allow users to enter a channel number and jumps to it. The second line of code is the actual conditional if statement. If a person uses another type of EPG view (mentioned in line 1495) then it defaults back to normal number options (ie timeline/timeperiod) (rather than allow user to jump to channel number as with GEPG).

bbbuk
15-04-15, 21:09
Also bbuk your screenwriter shows a bouquetlist across the top, what is this?This is what Matt also done as part of his mod. In my list of his mod's I described it as "Added ability to easily see the different bouquets within GEPG but also quickly change to them by using the < or > keys".

Whilst viewing the GEPG, I can use < or > keys to display the different bouquets setup. So to quickly go to movies, I can enter 301 or use ">" key to display the movies bouquet.

It's really a great mod and makes GEPG more user-friendly imho.

imho, I think Matt should be on your dev team.

Huevos
15-04-15, 22:28
allow users to enter a channel number and jumps to it. The second line of code is the actual conditional if statement. If a person uses another type of EPG view (mentioned in line 1495) then it defaults back to normal number options (ie timeline/timeperiod) (rather than allow user to jump to channel number as with GEPG).The number buttons were already allocated. So it is just a case of robbing Peter of useful functions to pay Paul for less useful ones.

Larry-G
15-04-15, 22:46
imho, I think Matt should be on your dev team.

We are always looking for talented coders to join the team, those who are interested should PM Sicilian for further details.

Sent from my iPad Air using Tapatalk

bbbuk
15-04-15, 22:56
The number buttons were already allocated. So it is just a case of robbing Peter of useful functions to pay Paul for less useful ones.Depends on your preference. The default "useful" functions as you call it I didn't make much use of and some I didn't know were there tbh but the ability to easily jump to channel is much more useful as it saves having to come out of GEPG back to normal TV and then enter channel number to jump to it. Either that or call up bouquet list and manually find channel you want.

It has improved my viewer experience and from the thread I started, majority of users thought it would be a good idea as well (obviously with the other features Matt had modded as well).

I am surprised that Matt's introduction of listing all bouquets from GEPG and allowing easily switching between different bouquets hasn't been put forward for possible introduction within GEPG. However, I guess the problem you may have would be to ensure all boxes you support have a < or > key which is used to switch between all your bouquets from within GEPG.

matt007
15-04-15, 23:04
The number buttons were already allocated. So it is just a case of robbing Peter of useful functions to pay Paul for less useful ones.

This is it really - it is good for some and not for others. Not everyone can be pleased. Which is why as mentioned above, the only way to include the new features in the main image will be to give the end user an option to enable the new button layout.

To be honest I'm not too fussed. As long as we as a community are helping eachother out to make our experiences better, then to me it does not matter if it is not released in the main image.

judge
15-04-15, 23:34
However, I guess the problem you may have would be to ensure all boxes you support have a < or > key which is used to switch between all your bouquets from within GEPG.
This is already a feature of the image. Having the bouquets listed like that is a good idea though & would probably make this feature more obvious to those that don't know about it.

Rob van der Does
16-04-15, 06:34
....more obvious to those that don't know about it.
I have suggested quite a number of times to use the help-button; that provides a fine overview on all available functions.

judge
16-04-15, 06:40
I have suggested quite a number of times to use the help-button; that provides a fine overview on all available functions.
Yes, and folks still don't do it.

bbbuk
16-04-15, 09:10
I have suggested quite a number of times to use the help-button; that provides a fine overview on all available functions.It turns out not all remotes have the 'help' button across the range of boxes you support from what people had posted on another thread regarding this mod.

rossi2000
16-04-15, 10:01
Is that all that does, just list the.bouquets across the top? Does the contents change or anything as your scrolling.through bouquets with the < > buttons?

markus625
16-04-15, 10:29
On my mutant I don't have a help button also.

Some of the things in using with matt, s code change is the green button to access the pvr recordings I've made from the epg as i use the tv remote with cec.
I also use the red pop-up menu to access recording options and the bouquet list.

I'm not too fused with the numbers keys to change channel within the epg as i find just opening the bouquet list just as easy and quick.

bbbuk
16-04-15, 12:28
Is that all that does, just list the.bouquets across the top? Does the contents change or anything as your scrolling.through bouquets with the < > buttons?The contents of the EPG change to match the bouquet selected.

So in my screenshot, it showed "All Channels" as that is the default bouquet but if I used < > buttons to select 'Movies' bouquet then just the movies are then listed in the GEPG.

judge
16-04-15, 12:41
if I used < > buttons to select 'Movies' bouquet then just the movies are then listed in the GEPG.
Is the title of the movies bouquet also highlighted in that case?

bbbuk
16-04-15, 15:13
Is the title of the movies bouquet also highlighted in that case?Probably easier if I took screen shots for you...

Default - "All Channels" (only because in ABM I have main bouquet enabled as well sectional ones)

"Entertainment" bouquet

"Movies" bouquet

markus625
16-04-15, 19:05
The Pop-up menu doesnt look to good in the skin im working on as you can see from the screengrab.
What controls the look and the text size etc.

I have the following code in the skin.

<screen name="ChoiceBox" position="0,0" size="520,130" zPosition="99">
<widget name="text" position="0,0" size="520,0" font="menulist;24"/>
<widget name="list" position="100,100" size="520,0" font="menulist;26" foregroundColor="white" enableWrapAround="1" selectionPixmap="testbuild/list-768x70.png"/>
<applet type="onLayoutFinish">
self.autoResize()
</applet>
</screen>
<screen name="OptionDialog" position="0,0" size="240,190" zPosition="5" flags="wfNoBorder">
<widget name="text" position="0,0" size="0,0" font="menulist;22"/>
<widget name="list" position="10,10" size="220,160" enableWrapAround="1" selectionPixmap="testbuild/list-768x70.png"/>
</screen>

bbbuk
16-04-15, 19:14
What controls the look and the text size etc.

I have the following code in the skin.I'm guessing here (still learning) but I would look at font="menulist;XX"/> where xx maybe the font size.

As for the look is that not based on the "list-668x70.png" picture?

markus625
16-04-15, 19:22
erm font size doesnt appear to be making any differance, I wonder if its a global statement thats controlling this, I am using bello skin as a base to work on this skin.

Ive allready commited out the
<alias name="ChoiceList" font="menulist" size="42" height="60" /> so i wonder if there something else controlling it in the skin.xml